Controversial Topics in your country

DeletedUser70293

I am quite interested in what is going on in all of your countries. I'll give an example of a controversial subject (for my country anyway, the United States for those who didn't know). A mosque near Ground Zero.

Another being the United States' War in Afghanistan.

If you all could provide links to articles detailing important subjects to the people in your countries we might all be interested.

Last edited:

DeletedUser74857

As for those two topics i will say.
1. The USA was founded on the basis of freedom of religion, it is ridiculous to say it should be wrong for a mosque to be near Ground Zero
2, The war in Afghanistan while contrary to popular has been a complete success. Leaving leave this war similar to Vietnam. It would make the whole thing not worth it

DeletedUser70293

1. The USA was founded on the basis of freedom of religion, it is ridiculous to say it should be wrong for a mosque to be near Ground Zero
2, The war in Afghanistan while contrary to popular has been a complete success. Leaving leave this war similar to Vietnam. It would make the whole thing not worth it

I might agree with no.2, but no.1 is out of the question. If this "Mosque" were a place of worship I may be inclined to agree but it isn't. It is a "Center for the People of Islam" featuring a swimming pool, Gym, Art Exhibit, etc. whilst a small mosque already exists on the premises that the building is to be built upon is pointless.

Otherwise it simply seems to be a slap in the face to the citizens of New York and the families of those 3,000 who perished on the World Trade Center attacks.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I don't think anyone is arguing that it's unlawful, just in poor taste. Like a no loitering sign in Tiananmen Square or a pro NRA booth near Dealey Plaza.

I agree they should be allowed to build it, but they shouldn't want to attract such negative attention. Build it miles away. Whats the harm in doing that.

As to the question in the title, I know Australia is having a bit of an issue with getting a majority in the parliament after a recent election. And I heard something about rain in Pakistan...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dealey_Plaza

DeletedUser74857

I didn't say it was smart to build mosque there. However in my opinion, its getting a bit blown out of proportion. A building wasn't the cause of 9/11. Neither were the people who would use said building. Its a tad bit ridiculous. But its not something to start a political war over

DeletedUser83060

I think if they build a mosque there then they are asking for problems.

Drowned Dog

Isn't it 5 blocks or so from the world trade center, so its ground zero, give or take 5 miles. And isn't it in a old coat factory, so coats are hallowed ground now? Doesn't America believe in freedom of speech? Doesn't that include freedom of religion? Why does America persecute a religion of over a billion people for the actions of a few?

DeletedUser79686

You tell me....i dont think it should be allowed.

these are all interesting. there is many more to watch, just pulled these.... But who was really involved in 911?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0Ms7mId34&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EbsGZcl2jk&feature=more_related showing squibs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwq04_KhCeI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwq04_KhCeI&feature=more_related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ2E4WTLvBE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezIU6ZxYU3A&feature=more_related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n-nT-luFIw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVH5jm06pJY&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv2ck2qsiGA&feature=related

This is what the Media is not showing to much of on the TV. NY ppl Protests. It could get worse, there is several Mafia type organizations , needless to say the Gangs of New York. N.Y is a pretty big melting pot and most there have came over with the hopes the Statue of Liberty stands for. they have come from worse and dont want to look back or have someone change their freedoms. 3000 ppl died that day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZddpURMLg2w&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbAarRh5TeE&NR=1&feature=fvwp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ZrfwC0IOg&feature=related

interview of Imam Feisal Rauf should watch to the end where interview is done with daniel pipes then former firefighter Tim Brown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXgR2_9JSzc&feature=related

i dont know. you make your own mind up.

DeletedUser

Isn't it 5 blocks or so from the world trade center, so its ground zero, give or take 5 miles. And isn't it in a old coat factory, so coats are hallowed ground now? Doesn't America believe in freedom of speech? Doesn't that include freedom of religion? Why does America persecute a religion of over a billion people for the actions of a few?

A block in New York isn't usually a mile long. I'm not sure about these particular blocks, but I think it's a safe assumption to say it isn't.

And like I said, I don't think they shouldn't be allowed to, I think they shouldn't want to. Zerocool said it best when he said they are asking for problems. It's only going to incite the idiots to launch a few molotovs through the window.

America is like any other large group of people in that, if a group of people associate themselves with something, then we associate that something with those people. I don't think the majority of people are stupid enough to think all Islamic people are terrorists, but when a suicide bomber kills a truck full of American soldiers or a video is released of a group murdering innocent civilians; and it just so happens that this group claims they are doing it in the name of Allah then it's kind of hard for people not to combine the two things in there head. Just like you did with Americans and 'Freedom of Speech' and 'Freedom of Religion'. I'm not saying such associations are morally right, but it is something that all humans do, and that as a species we can't be faulted for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

DeletedUser

A block in New York isn't usually a mile long. I'm not sure about these particular blocks, but I think it's a safe assumption to say it isn't.

And like I said, I don't think they shouldn't be allowed to, I think they shouldn't want to. Zerocool said it best when he said they are asking for problems. It's only going to incite the idiots to launch a few molotovs through the window.

America is like any other large group of people in that, if a group of people associate themselves with something, then we associate that something with those people. I don't think the majority of people are stupid enough to think all Islamic people are terrorists, but when a suicide bomber kills a truck full of American soldiers or a video is released of a group murdering innocent civilians; and it just so happens that this group claims they are doing it in the name of Allah then it's kind of hard for people not to combine the two things in there head. Just like you did with Americans and 'Freedom of Speech' and 'Freedom of Religion'. I'm not saying such associations are morally right, but it is something that all humans do, and that as a species we can't be faulted for.

Actually a block in NYC is 1/4 mile to be exact. I am from Long Island originally and have lost love ones in terrorist attacks. I even have more affected by it each day. It something that will never go away nor should we allow a Mosque or a Islamic hangout in this area. There plenty of other areas in the city they could go. They have chosen this for a reason nothing more. maybe to get rise out of people. I don't agree with it being built there. I will keep my motives to myself as it may offend others.

As for DD to answer your question Ground Zero is about 10 city blocks and of course large portion of the waterfront. I know many don't understand how large the destruction was. i put it this way the towers fell but so did many other building during that attack or shortly after wards. Some were even condemned as unlivable. Those building were knocked down also. So the area is quite large sir.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser70293

To add, it isn't very far.

If you read this page you will learn it is only about 600 feet (180 meters) from Ground Zero.

On top of this, if this is a location for Christians, Muslims, and Jews to interact peacefully and co-exist as has been claimed should it not also feature a Church and Synagogue as well as a Mosque?

To re-iterate, a location promoting Islam, 600 feet from where the United States was attacked by Islamic Extremists is incredibly insensitive. There are other locations, such as near the UN building, that Park51 (Cordoba House) can be built.

And to anyone who wonders where America gets its Anti-Muslim bias, and its relentless assaults on Iraq and Afghanistan.

Here you go.

And another attack on the Pentagon.

To those who criticize the United States' war in Afghanistan, is this preferable?

Last edited:

Drowned Dog

Is Obama a Muslim? 18% of Americans say yes. Also 30% of Americans believe in ESP (extrasensory perception) :lol:

The "War" in Afghanistan? Didn't America invade? Along with invade Iraq? Where are the WMD`s ? (weapons of Mass Destruction) did anyone find any? NO. Who invaded who and for what reasons? Are those (Iraq and Afghanistan) countries better off after being invaded?

To AHLS post on the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Didn't America drop those bombs? Who is the only country to use a Nuclear/Atomic device on another country? America? Yip

Also Islam is the religion and a muslim is a person that follows the teachings of the religion islam. So every Muslim is a extremist? Dosnt that make every Jew an Extremist? Lets use terrorist here for just a sentence, ill put it in bold for the people that dont understand.

Islam is the religion and a terrorist is a person that follows the teachings of the religion islam.
Judaism is the religion and a terrorist is a person that follows the teachings of the religion Judaism.
Christianity is the religion and a terrorist is a person that follows the teachings of the religion Christianity.

Get what thats about?....

And to your link... The first paragraph.

Park51, originally named Cordoba House, and sometimes referred to as the "Ground Zero mosque" and "mosque near Ground Zero",[5][6] is a planned $100 million, 13-story, glass and steel community center and mosque in New York City.[7] The facility's design includes a 500-seat auditorium, theater, performing arts center, fitness center, swimming pool, basketball court, childcare area, bookstore, culinary school, art studio, food court, September 11th memorial, and prayer space that could accommodate 1,000–2,000 people

just bolded a bit in there, so its not just a mosque? Could the American people not do with another fitness center?

America get over that you were hurt, yes it was terrible and people died that day, but people continue to die, now, because of your actions after September the 11. And having all these rallys against Mosques (Muslims) does nothing to stop the violence continuing against each and everyone of these countries involved.

Maybe some of you young Americans should read up and find out what America did to the Mujahideen towards the end of there conflict with Russia back in the 80s. Get a little bit of back ground knowledge to why these things happen.

DeletedUser83060

We know our government does crazy stuff, the discussion also touched on the funding for the Arts center coming from over seas and possibly funded by terrorists.

To Queenie's post regarding the Sept 11th attacks, if you have ever seen the movie the truth about 9/11, there are sooooooo many fishy circumstances surrounding the events of that day, I am actually fairly convinced that it was an inside job and was the work of our government in the form of a "Shadow Ops". I dont think a plane hit the pentagon, nor do I think the towers collapsed on their own. If you watch that movie I mentioned above you will see and begin to wonder as well.

There are too many things wrong with the US and its policies and laws and so called rights. Sometimes I think we should just start over, write up a new Declaration of Independence and start from scratch, kind of bring things up to date. The government in this country(USA) has pissed off a lot of people and the people are starting to get fed up.

Throughout history and since the establishing of the US the government has held secrets from the people, Area 51, JFK Assassination, and now 9/11, just to name a few, their goal is to make the rich richer and make the poor stay poor who knows what they are capable of, I just hope the rest of the world realizes that there are Americans who despise their government.

DeletedUser89665

Friendship with terrorists is not possible and if you are friends with them makes you a also a terrorist.

Nobody likes their government.
I personally despise Indian government with corruption and fraud being every Politician's intentions.
We going out of the way to help flood-affected Pakistani victims is kind yet appauling.

DeletedUser

Is Obama a Muslim? 18% of Americans say yes. Also 30% of Americans believe in ESP (extrasensory perception) :lol:

The "War" in Afghanistan? Didn't America invade? Along with invade Iraq? Where are the WMD`s ? (weapons of Mass Destruction) did anyone find any? NO. Who invaded who and for what reasons? Are those (Iraq and Afghanistan) countries better off after being invaded?

To AHLS post on the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Didn't America drop those bombs? Who is the only country to use a Nuclear/Atomic device on another country? America? Yip

Also Islam is the religion and a muslim is a person that follows the teachings of the religion islam. So every Muslim is a extremist? Dosnt that make every Jew an Extremist? Lets use terrorist here for just a sentence, ill put it in bold for the people that dont understand.

Islam is the religion and a terrorist is a person that follows the teachings of the religion islam.
Judaism is the religion and a terrorist is a person that follows the teachings of the religion Judaism.
Christianity is the religion and a terrorist is a person that follows the teachings of the religion Christianity.

Get what thats about?....

And to your link... The first paragraph.

Park51, originally named Cordoba House, and sometimes referred to as the "Ground Zero mosque" and "mosque near Ground Zero",[5][6] is a planned $100 million, 13-story, glass and steel community center and mosque in New York City.[7] The facility's design includes a 500-seat auditorium, theater, performing arts center, fitness center, swimming pool, basketball court, childcare area, bookstore, culinary school, art studio, food court, September 11th memorial, and prayer space that could accommodate 1,000–2,000 people

just bolded a bit in there, so its not just a mosque? Could the American people not do with another fitness center?

America get over that you were hurt, yes it was terrible and people died that day, but people continue to die, now, because of your actions after September the 11. And having all these rallys against Mosques (Muslims) does nothing to stop the violence continuing against each and everyone of these countries involved.

Maybe some of you young Americans should read up and find out what America did to the Mujahideen towards the end of there conflict with Russia back in the 80s. Get a little bit of back ground knowledge to why these things happen.

This is the most ridiculous, unwarranted, slanted, and ignorant post I have yet seen in this thread. And I'm frankly going to assume that it will continue to be be for quite some time. Get over it? It's not a high school romance. People died, and they were the ones who got the easy way out. Hundreds of thousands of people had to continue living on without those with whom they cared for. Fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, friends. I would like you to look someone who lost their wife in that attack to get over it. You're a horribly insensitive person. But let's go on the the factual errors!

Yeah, we used nuclear weapons. I don't think there is a (educated) person alive, Japanese or American, that would argue that not using the nuclear weapons would have saved more lives. A ground insertion into Japan would have cost hundreds of thousands of lives on both sides leaving far to many wounds to heal. It would have been a disaster. But by your own logic, Japan should just get over it.

We invaded Afghanistan because the people who initiated the attacks on our soil were stationed and in control of the country. Their attack was an act of war. We didn't invade, we retaliated. If they didn't want an invasion, the people of the country could have overthrown the Islamic Terrorist who were in charge. They were either unable or unwilling to do so, so we stepped in. And by we I mean the U.S., Britain, Germany, and Canada (among others). Again, I don't think anyone would argue Afghanistan is worse off now then it was 15 years ago.

We invaded Iraq. Whatever the reasons given, or whatever was actually fact, we overthrew a dictator who raped, killed, and tortured hundreds of thousands of his own people. Yeah, America's worse.

America started the hole conflict eh? Yeah, our support of the same people who would later attack us in our attempt to end the cold war and overthrow Russia is the whole reason the middle east is such a war zone...OR the middle east in all of it's history has been the epicenter of conflict for recorded history. I realize that someone your age (whatever that may be) can only be bothered to read books about the 80's only to mis-quote and misunderstand them at a later date. Perhaps you should take your own advise, and research past 30 years ago. Long before America was walked on by vikings (they were first, and not Columbus as I'm sure you think ;) there was conflict in the middle east. There will be conflict there for the foreseeable future.

Please stop posting in this thread. You are clearly not informed enough to discuss certain issues, and not sensitive enough to discuss others. I'm sure you're a great TW player, how could you be in the position you are now if you weren't. But stick to your day job, as history and politics is not your game.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser83060

Race you need to stop telling people to stop posting in threads, opinions are what these forums are for, so get used to it, not everyone has the same opinion on everything, thats why we discuss things, Dont be ignorant.

DeletedUser

A) I don't think I've ever told anyone not to post before. I can't be certain, but I assume so because I don't care enough of TW externals to ever want to say something like that. The only reason I made an exception in this case is because what DD said was so egregious and offensive I felt the need to stifle the spread of ignorance. It's a fault of mine, I care too much.

B) By telling me to stop doing something aren't you in fact guilty of the same thing? I'm no linguist expert, but it seems to me your biting your own tail there