Critique Thread

DeletedUser

[SPOIL]
20532bm.jpg

Playing around - 100% User created - Went for a bit of an Escher effect -

Love to hear some CnC[/SPOIL]

I know it's late, but that is awesome. I love the effect created by the alternating dimensions on the various gears. If there was room for improvement I would say it would be in the gear ratio's (IE. the size of the gears proportionally, I know they aren't intended to be perfectly round, etc, but for example the green gear the left side looks like it is stretched to the left in a slightly unappealing way).

The shadows could use improving, in some areas they don't seem to make sense as the light source would be directly behind the viewer, yet there is visible shading on the front side. The background and surrounding areas are simple, and if improved would make the focal look better as-well, by not directly contrasting with each other. For a piece like this, having so much black area around the edges and being so far off-center isn't very appealing either, it doesn't have to be directly center, but closer to the middle to focus on it, as it's not sig dimensions the rule of thirds isn't really applicable here, in my belief.

Some additional colour variation within the gears itself might help to create more depth and be a little less 2 dimensional in some parts (the direct front face of the gears), but that is really a preference thing depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Some very late CnC for you :3

Defaults piece of mine:

y69o.png

Any feedback on areas I might improve would be welcome. I don't do much in the way of defaults (100% user created/basic photoshop tools/no renders/etc) so am trying to improve this area.

DeletedUser

I'm not sure what it is, but the quality seems very low/you used some off-putting noise filter.

DeletedUser

I'm not sure what it is, but the quality seems very low/you used some off-putting noise filter.

A wave. I tried to sharpen it. I smudged it but wasn't entirely sure how to fix the low res look. Just painting it wouldn't look as good.

DeletedUser

Mm, try a High Pass filter, it shouldn't reduce the quality as much.

I just went back to the drawing board with that one and tried to create more detail in the colours, rather than using the filters.

diyy.png

Better? I feel like It's lacking still but I can't put my finger on it.

DeletedUser

Ooooh, look at you Devin, suddenly a graphics know it all.

Pls, who u be

But no, I suck. I'm being trained by people that don't though :p

Edit: After further research I have concluded that you are Silver, although your name isn't as good as I expected from you

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

, second's smudging is fine but it looks unfinished and lighting is bad

Looks unfinished because I have no idea what else to do with it.
I hadn't really smudged before, only a few times, no tablet to really do it with, but I'm not confident enough with my older style that I didn't really like anyway.

DeletedUser

Hi, I'd like a picture to put on avatar on forum .. can someone make me? only want to write Allright into the picture, thanks

DeletedUser

20532bm.jpg

Playing around - 100% User created - Went for a bit of an Escher effect -

Love to hear some CnC

Other than the huge empty space which you can fit a logo in, I love it and will be using it as a new desktop :D Great job, I love the colors and metallic feel of it.

DeletedUser

Pls, who u be

But no, I suck. I'm being trained by people that don't though :p

Edit: After further research I have concluded that you are Silver, although your name isn't as good as I expected from you

I'm not silver, keep guessing