Dead Forums

richiefingers

The problem with the forums and the game in general is the way that it comes across .
I'm constantly reading the same old agreements with the same players going on about things that happened on worlds gone by dragging up old hatred and spite, this along with the general condescending tone to anyone new to the game in general and on the forum means people are more and more discouraged to ask questions and join in. I'm not saying all experienced players are like this but most who post on the externals are.
This means new players don't enjoy the game and never experience it fully so it's the same old peoples posting the same old bull about each other and it just degenerates. With the new players quitting to leave you experienced players to your bragging and negativity.

mattcurr

First of all, not aloud to or going to discuss specific moderation cases here.

Second, you make it sound like everything that didn't render in a ban was outright ignored. There's a wide range of infraction punishments in between nothing and a ban.

Third, take this Cornish/Balian thing you bring up. It shouldn't be part of the game in your opinion. It's toxic, you'd say. But this is the very point I brought up too: this is a PvP game. Some things will be the talk of the town, some mistakes will be brought up all the time. Is it toxic? It might well be. But it isn't an obvious thing where the line should be drawn when it comes to in-game stuff, when it's a PvP game. That's something I'd like to see discussion on: the nature of the toxicity, the extent of it, and how it can be handled.
I have counter points for this but as we both know it's not particularly allowed for me to do such. I believe that these can be judgment calls by moderators thus the idea of a moderator not a robot

DeletedUser

Lets be honest, I have somewhere in the realm of 100 infractions over my lifetime, albeit mostly towards the beginning of my posting career. Infractions do nothing, affect nothing and are pretty much pointless. I pretty much ignore every infraction mail. The only thing that does anything is the ban.

As for personal stuff, I've had people messaging my personal email saying they are going to kill me, I've had death threats in the game and on skype. Even if you were to restrict it to the public forums in the last few weeks, I've had personal insults from some scrub who couldn't handle what I was saying. It's ultimately just part of the territory. I think the forums should honestly be a bit looser with the rules, I don't mind seeing people giving out personal insults. It really just shows how pathetic they are when they can't keep their beef to the game.

That said, old beef, whilst repetitive and boring, is within the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fleezus Clyde

Forum Personality 2017
Reaction score
In my eyes its on the community to keep the forums lively - in the past I've gotten drawn into banter & debacles I shouldn't have that have definitely deteriorated the forum they were on; I try to avoid these incidents when possible & I apologize for playing my role in probably chasing a few people away... but I think that this game just needs some new types of PnP to shake it up & a serious attempt by everyone to step their game up on the externals to liven them :D

One thing that makes TW special is, at least in my findings, no other game will latch on to you emotionally & socially quite like it - hell i know people who hunt players who rimmed them down for like 30 worlds & years ago - what does that tell you about the hold this game can take on a person xD I mean most people posting on the forums are part of tribes that most likely have a skype/discord setup and thus they are socially engaged as well .... we spend hours on this game, playing, chatting with our tribemates & our accounts become important to us - so when you take a step back it's easy to see why insults are taken so personally (even ig ones) how certain personalities can clash with each other; but as long as it stays civil and game related; it's part of the fun in my eyes :D I do enjoy good banter about gameplay which unfortunately does require you to speak less than favourably at times about your opponent so I feel you do need a bit of a backbone to chat crap - but also I think at times it goes over the line.

To refer to Mattcurr - what you experienced was abhorred - I seriously hope this kind of behaviour can be removed from our forums as I believe it's an example of when things go waaaay too far and what chases people away.

But also in my eyes until nobles are hit by the top 100 or so players; there's not much content to post about anyways; so to declare a forum dead this early is a bit rash imo. UBM & The Average Pessimest both have already put in some work to this forum & the world is just getting started. I'm just PP farming here but I have it earmarked as one to check :p

To reiterate what many have said before me - if you want the forums lively - you should try to make a post :p it's pretty fun ..... hell you may even like it ;) and I think there are lots of posters (myself included) happy to accept criticism/advice/recommendations on how to make better PnP..... but to sit back and just say "all new PnP is bad, nothing can match the old days" is a bit too pessimistic for me :D

DeletedUser

You want interesting discussion? Be the change you want to see, the forums were lively and interesting when the game first started and it wasnt that popular, they had people talking doing it in character, interviews where they stayed in character calling each other infidels, then you had world wars where people would do real life style propaganda, then you had interesting and vivacious characters who would debate troll, make light hearted jabs at each other. It's not a stretch to say that when I was actively trying to involve the community that I personally altered both atmosphere and quantity of posters in my world, Ive never been the best at that sort of thing, Ive always been more of a debater, but it's not particularly hard, I imagine this is why I have about 6 people who regularly check in on the 95 forums that they never played just to see whats going on. And again this isnt really my area of expertise

If you ask me it's not only the quantity but the quality of the person that has diminished there are few if any personalities anymore outside well myself, grandtoreno, brad and many of the people who exist dont do it with style or flair debating making light hearted jabs, you guys are for lack of a better word complete assholes with no flair imagination or good spirt to your insults you're mean angry little annoying peons.

I had a look back at this post and I think you touched on an important point, that being about people playing a character. In many aspects, TW is a role playing game, especially when it comes to these forums.

What I would add onto this is that it is not always imperative to be a good guy, or even necessarily a good poster. Whilst it is all good to have great posts, everyone having interesting debates and light hearted jabs, this is not what I think makes the forums great. I think healthy debates with quality posts between two cordial opponents isn't that interesting. The reason that people want to respond to you Matt, for example, I don't think is anything to do with your interesting and vivacious character (though I like your character personally), it is because you act arrogant. That is what makes things interesting.

What really makes the forums is when you get groups bash up against each other beyond the light hearted jabs, the beef, the toxicity. This is what makes the best story lines, the best wars and in turn the best PnP.

EDIT: Really I don't think everyone should be aiming for this version of the forums where everyone is relatively non-toxic and there are constructive debates. That sounds boring.

Zalinor

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
I definitely have faith in the gods of the externals, they have been declared dead numerous times before having a revival, even if times have changed.

All this nostalgia reminded me of @DisplayOnly 's music videos. Maybe that's the way the externals need to go, mirror modern day media styles where the focus is on less text. Regardless everyone who posts here thank you it adds such a good extra dimension to the game.

Hektik

Forum Personality 2019
Reaction score
I definitely have faith in the gods of the externals, they have been declared dead numerous times before having a revival, even if times have changed.

All this nostalgia reminded me of @DisplayOnly 's music videos. Maybe that's the way the externals need to go, mirror modern day media styles where the focus is on less text. Regardless everyone who posts here thank you it adds such a good extra dimension to the game.

ItS fLaShBaCk TiMe

DeletedUser

I hope everyone is watching that's what we want more of :cool:

10/10 would buy a full length version, did you make the beat yourself @DisplayOnly? Just because if I had ever tried it I'd have just parodied something but yours sounds original

No, I can't make actual music at all haha. I do love being drunk and making bad raps to decent beats though. Since you're a fan I'll direct you to my official verified soundcloud. I might have been very angry at the creations of these songs. https://soundcloud.com/rfgsn-sfden

Warning: Expletives are used in the above clips.

Hektik

Forum Personality 2019
Reaction score
Warning: Expletives are used in the above clips.

uu9pmDP.gif