Discussion: Update to version 8.16

nowitsover

Sounds like to me everyone is just looking for an excuse to quit, then just quit and stop crying. Im sure Inno wont shed a tear over a few people leaving because of this.

So instead of saying your going to do it, do it.... you wont.

You call this crying?

if you go to your usual restaurant and get one day crappy food, you better complain instead of just eating the crap. if they ignore it, you better damn well leave. It is not an excuse, it is a perfectly understandable reason.

Those who accepts anything, deserves whatever treatment they get. At least I won`t be one of them. Trust me, people do leave marriages, jobs, countries.. so they may even leave TW ;)

DeletedUser

I'm not liking the offset between the -20%'s at all :L The button's are ugly enough already, no need to make it worse by not even having them lined up. As it is, I'm a little worried that I'm going to click one by mistake, which I really doubt my co would appreciate XD
[spoil]
2j61cg2.jpg
[/spoil]

I do like this slightly better than yesterday's version, there are a few more things lined up, and the colour matches marginally better (though still not great), but it's still rather icky.

So it looks like the developers took the above, and 'fixed' it with this:

[SPOIL]
0c279da68f09cb264a21fdb2e23d9923.png
[/SPOIL]

Seriously?

DeletedUser

Dear innogames, staff councils and moderators,

Would you please hear me out this time. I know that most of you are working voluntary as I was told by Senior In-game Staff Marcus. And I do admire and respect that you do this.
But surely, somewhere and somehow, you are doing this because you like this game, and this game is not as fun anymore when you loose players.
All I am asking is that you hear us out, and forward our opinions to someone that can actually do something about it. Because somehow, if not alone but together, you surely must be able to do this.

This latest update because of the removal of the option to choose the classic layout, feels like nothing but a slap in my face. And I am sure many old players does agree with me.
I have been a paying costumer for this game since 2007. As you can see above many of us complaining are players who normally does not complain too much, we just continue playing because of our love for this game.
We stick by this game day in and day out.

We are currently trialing slightly smaller buttons with a different colour on our beta server.
And really Morthy what is this answer all about? So you just ignore everything else? Because that is the feeling I get. This, and a link to the blog, is the answer you have for us having valid complaints about the removal of the classic layout.
And before you give me an answer to actually read the blog, yes I have done so. And I can not find any answer to my question.
From the blog:
-to make playing the game more intuitive and easier to understand
-to reduce clutter and complexity

How is it easier to understand by changing things and take away the option for us old players to use the classic layout?
How is the old layout cluttered and complexed? Because the reason I used it was because of just the oposite, its simplicity and easy to use design. These are not answers to the big question. Why remove the old layout?
Sure you want it to be easier for new players. But let us old players at least have the option to have our good old Tribalwars feeling.

Is it really impossible to keep on manituring the classic layout? Are things really that bad for Innogames and Tribalwars? Because if it is, I have a hard time understanding these new updates. Surely someone got paid for their work.
If things are so bad, why do you have to even have these updates?

All I ask is that you read my post, give me an answer and move this forward to someone that can actually do something about it.
Is that too much to ask for after years of dedicated playing at you're servers?

Sincerly,
Floonky - Senior In-game player.

rascal-the-cat

I wondered if it was just the .net players who were not happy with these changes. Seems that we are not the only ones ...

Firstly on the Tribal Wars DevBlog - no one there liked the BIG buttons. Dev Blog

So perhaps the players on the beta servers liked the new buttons? Nope ... they thought they were too BIG and also wanted the old style 6.5 layout to be available to those that wanted it. Beta servers

So what about the Brits over on the UK servers? Yup - they thought the buttons were too big and some also wanted 6.5 to be available. UK server

Perhaps our friends on the Russian server would love the changes? Seems not ... see post #136 on this thread for the views of one of the in game support team there.

Not a ringing endorsement for the changes is it?

If the developers really think those huge buttons are the way forward that's fine but what I don't understand is why they cannot accommodate the players who really hate them by offering an alternative that does not involve paying customers having to download css files and graphics packs in order to do it for themselves. Seriously - how crazy is that?

Alf Hucker

Rather than post an immediate reaction I thought I would give it a few days to see what I thought after that....nothing has changed my original impression that it's a horrible update but going from previous updates that have been unpopular it will make no difference how many complain about it. Ever decreasing numbers of players must be built into updates nowadays!

DeletedUser106817

Don't shoot me, but I like the buttons. However, I do prefer the original layout. Also could we do away with the Pay to win options? I know that this is a business as well as a game, but it makes the game unfair.

Typhi

Dear innogames, staff councils and moderators,

Would you please hear me out this time. I know that most of you are working voluntary as I was told by Senior In-game Staff Marcus. And I do admire and respect that you do this.
But surely, somewhere and somehow, you are doing this because you like this game, and this game is not as fun anymore when you loose players.
All I am asking is that you hear us out, and forward our opinions to someone that can actually do something about it. Because somehow, if not alone but together, you surely must be able to do this.

This latest update because of the removal of the option to choose the classic layout, feels like nothing but a slap in my face. And I am sure many old players does agree with me.
I have been a paying costumer for this game since 2007. As you can see above many of us complaining are players who normally does not complain too much, we just continue playing because of our love for this game.
We stick by this game day in and day out.

And really Morthy what is this answer all about? So you just ignore everything else? Because that is the feeling I get. This, and a link to the blog, is the answer you have for us having valid complaints about the removal of the classic layout.
And before you give me an answer to actually read the blog, yes I have done so. And I can not find any answer to my question.
From the blog:
-to make playing the game more intuitive and easier to understand
-to reduce clutter and complexity

How is it easier to understand by changing things and take away the option for us old players to use the classic layout?
How is the old layout cluttered and complexed? Because the reason I used it was because of just the oposite, its simplicity and easy to use design. These are not answers to the big question. Why remove the old layout?
Sure you want it to be easier for new players. But let us old players at least have the option to have our good old Tribalwars feeling.

Is it really impossible to keep on manituring the classic layout? Are things really that bad for Innogames and Tribalwars? Because if it is, I have a hard time understanding these new updates. Surely someone got paid for their work.
If things are so bad, why do you have to even have these updates?

All I ask is that you read my post, give me an answer and move this forward to someone that can actually do something about it.
Is that too much to ask for after years of dedicated playing at you're servers?

Sincerly,
Floonky - Senior In-game player.

Hi Floonky,

Thanks for your feedback.
One of the two people responsible for the layout changes + removing the 6.5 style reporting in.

To clarify: the devblog article is about the changes to the standard layout, and does indeed not provide reasons for removing the 6.5 style.

Why remove the 6.5 style?
It needed to be maintained, and maintenance costs time (and effort). To be more precise: the old layout needs to be considered, adapted, tested and sometimes fixed whenever we:
  1. add new features
  2. change the layout of the game
Even if the actual changes required are small, they add up. This is time we could have been spending on improving other parts of the game.

With every update, we try to improve the game as much as possible for as many people as possible. Not many players still used the classic layout - about 1% of the active playerbase - so we had to make the hard decision to discontinue support for it and focus our efforts on areas that would benefit a larger audience. What's in this for you? As an example, see the "less reloading and clicking" changes in this update, which we expect will benefit everyone a small bit. Due to no longer needing to maintain the old layout, we can spend more time improving the game for everyone.

We realised that there would definitely still be players who wanted to play with the old style, which is why we've made the oldstyle.css available to the community so that if there is enough interest it can still be maintained. :)

Thanks for reading, and please let me know your thoughts,
Robert (Typhi)
Tribal Wars
Product Manager

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Alternatively you could stop making these 'improvements' then you'll have all the time in the world to maintain the 6.5 layout.

DeletedUser106579

Even if the actual changes required are small, they add up. This is time we could have been spending on improving other parts of the game.

With every update, we try to improve the game as much as possible for as many people as possible...

That'd be a valid point if this 'upgrade' had actually improved it. It hasn't. I didn't even use 6.5 (found it too bright), but the latest changes are such a huge leap backwards in functionality/utility that I'd consider reverting if it were supported. Where there's 'less clicking' is a total mystery, but I probably can't figure that out 'cause I'm stuck in an infinite-scrolling loop...

That the changes are also visually sickening, and a gross insult to the intelligence of the people that play the game, are kinda secondary issues... :icon_confused:

rascal-the-cat

Robert (Typhi)
Tribal Wars
Product Manager

Correct me if I'm wrong but you've already had a lot of feedback on this thread. Both on the scrapping of 6.5 and the cumbersome new version with the BIG ugly buttons.

Assuming we are forced to use this new version how is it a step forward to have to do considerably more scrolling than before and why can we not at least have a variant that uses the old 'action links' rather than those coloured buttons that frankly resemble something normally collected by a poop scoop?

nowitsover

^ it indeed looks like crap.

If you (Inno) care about your customers opinion, make a poll. If the major part of the community dislikes the new changes, restore the graphics to the old version.

AxlTheCat

Not crazy about the new style, but I can live with it.

But I would like to have as much information visible on the screen at once. The new layout really increases the page size, which increases the amount of scrolling required. Not a fan of that.

DeletedUser106817

It is frustrating to think that there has been more effort trying to get the Jester and the villagers to move more smoothly in the village overview, rather than try to focus on ways to bring more players to the game. I constantly look for new games to play that are Similar to TW. I love playing TW! so I want more Games like TW (Simple Supply and Demand). While I am scrolling through pages and pages of endless games that are truly terrible, I never see any adds for TW. I used to see a bunch; even on weird things that have no relation to gaming! And because of it there were so many players! When the adds stopped, what did the graph (Influx of Players) look like? how bad is the drop? The Home Page for TWSTATS (.com) says that over 8.4 million players have been recorded!. Then right next to it is a recorded 76,297 Active players. That's not good. I want to keep playing TW for a long time to come! If staff is too busy improving graphics rather than gameplay and reviving interest, then this game will surely die! which I know we all do not want. And when it does, the final letter will most likely say that there was a lack of funds (I've seen it before) when really all that happened was a lack of effort by the staff. I know that I am pushing it perhaps a bit too much; But it is the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

i think every now and then the staff need a reminder of one simple fact...this is not a graphical game; nobody plays this for the graphics. stop mucking about at the things that don't need fiddling with and sort out any gameplay issues, marketing etc. we can read and don't need little pictures to replace all of the words; any of us who really want to see the little men running about can imagine them.

what we do not propose to put up with is you spending all of your resources making the user interface look like an infant designed it when you had a perfectly good one years ago. if you have wasted all of our money since then on misinterpreting what this game is then so be it, but don't throw away the look you had that worked for the sake of fiddling about at unwanted rubbish.

mattcurr

I like the graphics, they just are not yet complete, would love to see them match the rest of the game, and have more functionality like I previously mentioned some issues with page refreshes also does when building a village wont update the resources in the village anymore.

People really just hate any change, but then again I have heard over the last 6 years the following.

Paladins, simple tech and coins will ruin tw-->More popular than no statues, tech, and packet worlds

Churches are racist--> Really? I still dont know what to make of that stupid one

We love camps--> Least popular setting of all time lol

anytime any change comes people just like to cry. Average user=/= average forum user :)

DeletedUser

We realised that there would definitely still be players who wanted to play with the old style, which is why we've made the oldstyle.css available to the community so that if there is enough interest it can still be maintained. :)

Robert (Typhi)
Tribal Wars
Product Manager

Many thanks.
Is there any idea on how to estimate if the interest is enough enough?

DeletedUser

I've been having a few issues, where in some of my vills the option to rearrange the HQ queue order isn't visible. The clicky bit's still there, but the icon isn't, if that makes sense ;)
[spoil]
212gxw3.png
[/spoil]