Discussion: Update to version 8.20

catastrophic cat

(
Why would we share something thats already in the externals?
Maybe because no one else could tag?

I spent a whole day looking through scripts, on several TW forums and not one tagger works. I challenge you to send me the link to the "working" tagger that you found on the externals within 10 minutes.

DeletedUser94483

Cat I actually did ask a few people I know that had more time for it then myself..Was specifically told it the ones that were already made were not going to be shared. Few friends I have that STILL script like cheese said they were going to work on one for the community.

As all my current attacks at the time had already presumably been tagged..(300 hour attacks leaves alot of room so never know) I had no need or care to block this script from the community...I did not VOLUNTEER to be an in game mod to not help the community. That is counter intelligent.

To the person asking if zip or not no...was referring to smoke the tribe I bash for.

DeletedUser94483

I am actually pretty sure I play the same worlds as you hence why you would never see any tickets I answer.

DeletedUser

They've already provided for silly icons to vaguely correlate with the number of troops in an outgoing attack,

And I love that, by the way. An easy way to see at a glance that your train didn't go backwards... it's a great time saver.

Grammar Commie

Not really. If you factor in the extra lag caused by the icons on the commands page, everything's slower...

DeletedUser

Not really. If you factor in the extra lag caused by the icons on the commands page, everything's slower...

I'm pretty sure it's still faster than checking the attack and then seeing it was sent out of order and then going back to the rally point to cancel.

DeletedUser94483

Yep I agree blue i have already started incorporating that into my game play...but you are talking about the COMMANDS icon which was released during the LAST update not this one.

darkaniken2

So theres no new scripts that works with this update? :(

Rather than skip to the end, perhaps try reading the thread. Or perhaps anywhere on the forums. Only a few types of scripts broke with the update, and many/most of those have either been fixed or replaced with newer(and often nicer!) versions.

DeletedUser110019

You could always tag the way it was originally set up in the meantime. Also this IMO has always been a common thing when updates occur if you do back reading here or even in the scripts forum. It is actually expected that updates will break scripts as they adjust where things are and table counts etc...which will automatically break some scripts.

you do realize people are paying to play this game?

Grammar Commie

You do realise that you're a third-party when it comes to customers asking questions of Inno. Continuing to parrot the Inno line about scripts isn't helpful at all, and I'll bet Inno are laughing all the way to the bank every time they see it...

Certain scripts are essential, or the game's just a chore. Supporting a number of core scripts and semi-official/paid scripters doesn't seem an unreasonable request of a company that's quite happy to reap the benefits of those scripts when they're functioning.

DeletedUser

You do realise that you're a third-party when it comes to customers asking questions of Inno. Continuing to parrot the Inno line about scripts isn't helpful at all, and I'll bet Inno are laughing all the way to the bank every time they see it...

Certain scripts are essential, or the game's just a chore. Supporting a number of core scripts and semi-official/paid scripters doesn't seem an unreasonable request of a company that's quite happy to reap the benefits of those scripts when they're functioning.

I think a lot of people were hot-tempered when the update broke existing scripts, and lashed out the only way they knew how to. What Morthy/Inno has suggested (i.e. future updates in incorporate things that scripts do now, like tag, etc) is probably the best solution to the problem. In the meantime, the scripters out there, who volunteer their time and efforts should be applauded. How many players have ever paid for a script? Considering how "essential" you say they are, scripters could could charge and make a ton of money, yet they don't. Instead they give freely of their knowledge and their time.

And how do the players thank them? They cry like little toddlers and act like entitled, spoiled little brats. Fix my script! My outgoing renamer doesn't work!

I'm not parroting Inno's line... I agree with it. They put the game out as is. If we chose to use scripts and add-ons, that's our choice.

DeletedUser

I think a lot of people were hot-tempered when the update broke existing scripts, and lashed out the only way they knew how to. What Morthy/Inno has suggested (i.e. future updates in incorporate things that scripts do now, like tag, etc) is probably the best solution to the problem. In the meantime, the scripters out there, who volunteer their time and efforts should be applauded. How many players have ever paid for a script? Considering how "essential" you say they are, scripters could could charge and make a ton of money, yet they don't. Instead they give freely of their knowledge and their time.

And how do the players thank them? They cry like little toddlers and act like entitled, spoiled little brats. Fix my script! My outgoing renamer doesn't work!

I'm not parroting Inno's line... I agree with it. They put the game out as is. If we chose to use scripts and add-ons, that's our choice.

I agree with some of this Blue, but if "scripts" are going to be used and allowed. then there should be a better system put into place. I know this game is old and theres probably not very large fanbase. If scripter were to ask to be paid for their work, then that payment would be with innogames not the consumer. So, yeah they could get paid for it just the way it's handled is what sometimes can frustrate players that are spending their money. It's not the consumers job to be pay for a product that does continue to break down in these ways. So, players being reinbursed or a new system for scripting to be setup. Then theres the last option of keeping it the same, which isn't all bad xD but problems like this just, well cause allot of problems with players who pay to play.

Grammar Commie

...scripters could charge and make a ton of money, yet they don't. Instead they give freely of their knowledge and their time.

Scripters shouldn't have to provide their services for free. It should be Inno's obligation to pay someone.

I didn't see anyone asking in that manner. If anything people were bewildered and resigned, but then extremely grateful when Cheese and co did come up with solutions. And any vitriol was directed, quite correctly, at a company that refuses to accept any shred of responsibility for an aspect (albeit 3rd-party) of the game that is nigh-on essential.

It's not really a choice when it's more-or-less a necessity.

Inno's choice is whether they want to see even more people depart TW for the sake of hosting/supporting a few scripts...

DeletedUser

Inno has never had responsibility for scripts, and I think that players have either forgotten or overlooked it. A lot of talented people came up with the ideas for scripts, and Inno maybe screwed themselves having a forum where you can find all approved scripts. I think that confuses some people into thinking that Inno is responsible for them, or that Inno owns them, and it seems like that is where a lot of the issues have come from.

Scripts are not a necessity. They are a luxury, a bonus, a nicety.

Of all the scripts, I would say the incoming tagger is the most beneficial, and I absolutely would love to see a better one in-game. I honestly don't think that Inno ever expected players to have to tag 10-20k incoming when the current tagging system was put into place.

Grammar Commie

Inno has never had responsibility for scripts, and I think that players have either forgotten or overlooked it. A lot of talented people came up with the ideas for scripts, and Inno maybe screwed themselves having a forum where you can find all approved scripts. I think that confuses some people into thinking that Inno is responsible for them, or that Inno owns them, and it seems like that is where a lot of the issues have come from.

Of all the scripts, I would say the incoming tagger is the most beneficial, and I absolutely would love to see a better one in-game. I honestly don't think that Inno ever expected players to have to tag 10-20k incoming when the current tagging system was put into place.

I don't think anyone's confused - Inno's line is very clear. That doesn't make it an acceptable position when: a) the game has changed and it's not uncommon to be in a position where you've gotta tag that many (or more) incs; b) so many people actually pay to play.

Scripts are not a necessity. They are a luxury, a bonus, a nicety.

You've just refuted that with your own example. Which of the multitude of scripts would be considered 'essential' or 'necessary' is clearly a matter of opinion, though.

It's also been pointed out that an integrated tagger might not work as effectively as those that are run as scripts. It seems an optimal solution to support/host a minimal number of scripts, while integrating some of their functionality, if that's deemed desirable as a safety-net, or even just to improve gameplay.

TW's changed and we've had to put up with many UI tweaks that we didn't ask for. Why is it so difficult to envisage a changed relationship with scripts and scripters?

DeletedUser

Inno's line is very clear... they do not host or own any of the scripts. Players seem to have a hard time accepting that notion in their head and separating the game from the add-ons.

Grammar Commie

Inno's line is very clear... they do not host or own any of the scripts. Players seem to have a hard time accepting that notion in their head and separating the game from the add-ons.

Well, I don't know anything about copyright law or intellectual property with regard to scripts, but I don't think it would be beyond TW's dev team or paid scripters to code a few and host them.

It's something Inno/TW decided they wouldn't touch. Failing some issue of legality, I can't see any reason why they should obstinately stick with that arbitrary position when it's detrimental to many of their paying customers.

Last edited: