Discussion: Winter event 2012

DeletedUser93182

This was my initial view on the Winter challenge Viking quest thing.

1) Good idea, haven’t seen so much Skype activity for a long time with the whole tribe trying to scout, work out how the Vikings defended what the furs did etc.

2) Execution – poorly executed, with people experiencing bugs when they had hauled from the Viking camp and find that their troops returned without any plunder because the camp disappeared and the troops just returned home. From what I’ve seen the support requests were dealt with poorly. People lost troops hauling and then didn’t get the resource. These won’t be replaced even though this fault was solely due to Innogames. I cannot know what the strategy of Innogames is; however, some questioned the integrity of the company as through payment of premium points the camps would have stuck around longer and allowed the resource to return to the player’s villages.

These are my thoughts now:

1) The option to keep the camps around for longer by payment of PP is a poor decision, this potentially rewards richer players. (please note my use of potentially as if the camps stay longer people who didn’t pay for them to stick around can still plunder them). However the concept and precedent has been set – pay premium points and get further ahead (for example cutting down the price of furs). Innogames may argue that this is no different from AM and FA. I would argue it is different – scripts etc can be a great replacement or alternative

2) It’s a bad decision to keep the quests running through the attack breaks. For me the purpose of the attack break is to spend 5 mins per day on the game for a few days a year when we should be with our families and not fall behind in the world. Now because of this Viking quest if I don’t play during the attack break I will fall behind.

So what should be the next steps?

1) Innogames should be congratulated on this new element to the gameplay. Please do more of it.
2) Before a new release the release should be properly tested.
3) Make the Viking winter challenge inactive during the attack breaks so I and the rest of the players can have some time off and just relax with our families.
4) Do not introduce the concept of paying premium points for advantages in gameplay.
5) If players lost troops and/or resources due to the bug mentioned above, return the resources to the affected players.

DeletedUser

And so it begins - .net pay-to-win strategies.

being honest, TW is a game and a bussines. If the bussiness is not profitable the game would not improve and slowly die.

so in the improvements that theyve done not much really
updates via the game like how the village looks not much has changed other than light - dark, movement on village view
church worlds no farming world
the server glitched often on returning troops still does do its just worse nowadays with stupid server refreshes that are over 1,000ms seconds which is about time someone really sorted it out properly

as goes for forum update of which it didnt need its hard to read and gives some headaches whilst on there

pp for f.a there was a mass exodus then from the game by players i dont agree with them there f.a was needed the only thing ive said before everyone should have the right to farm non barbs if your paying for it
otherwise we will still use links and bookmarks which then slows the server down due to loads of pages opened up to farm them

uk has the pp via nothin more satisfying than wiping them out when there bragging away i pay to speed up my village

I really do not see anything wrong is pay-to-win strategy. if they keep a balance it is fine. TW does not run without anything their are so many expenditures that need to be beared. Now if someone is playing for free it means that someone else is paying for him, so people who are paying we should be thankful for them. Not the other way round by calling them that u r payed to win.

if an account is run 24/7 the ones at home all day cant keep up if the ones that are on 24/7 then pay pp to speed up theres no balance or fairness to the game anymore

its same with the workers that are matching against an all day players they just cant keep up most do as best they can thoe

DeletedUser

Personally I stopped attacking the viking although it was fun gaining some ODA. This feauture may be good for farming worlds, but in non-haul worlds it is worthless. You lose too many units to collect all the furs needed just for a bonus that will last for 10 hours. All non-haul worlds are in speed x2 so you don't gain so much regarding what you lose.

It would be better if in non-haul worlds we have better bonuses or we need less furs to activate them (250k furs is just too much).

DeletedUser

hey i was wondering, on worlds with flags, does the bonus given from the winter event stack onto it? example: you use +4% haul capacity and then you buy the+15% wood production +30% Haul capacity bonus do you have 34% haul capacity or 30%?

thanks,
dundun

It appears that all the bonuses get put on the base production. I've had some pretty weighty bonuses in my bonus villages in addition to their flags, reaching up near 10k resources per hour

DeletedUser

I love that this was sprung on us. I like this kind of surprise. It's kinda like being in the Hunger Games (which i'm reading now and it's awesome) kudos on this little holiday twist, and I hope to see these again sometime. Or permanently even

DeletedUser101547

This was my initial view on the Winter challenge Viking quest thing.

1) Good idea, haven’t seen so much Skype activity for a long time with the whole tribe trying to scout, work out how the Vikings defended what the furs did etc.

2) Execution – poorly executed, with people experiencing bugs when they had hauled from the Viking camp and find that their troops returned without any plunder because the camp disappeared and the troops just returned home. From what I’ve seen the support requests were dealt with poorly. People lost troops hauling and then didn’t get the resource. These won’t be replaced even though this fault was solely due to Innogames. I cannot know what the strategy of Innogames is; however, some questioned the integrity of the company as through payment of premium points the camps would have stuck around longer and allowed the resource to return to the player’s villages.

These are my thoughts now:

1) The option to keep the camps around for longer by payment of PP is a poor decision, this potentially rewards richer players. (please note my use of potentially as if the camps stay longer people who didn’t pay for them to stick around can still plunder them). However the concept and precedent has been set – pay premium points and get further ahead (for example cutting down the price of furs). Innogames may argue that this is no different from AM and FA. I would argue it is different – scripts etc can be a great replacement or alternative

2) It’s a bad decision to keep the quests running through the attack breaks. For me the purpose of the attack break is to spend 5 mins per day on the game for a few days a year when we should be with our families and not fall behind in the world. Now because of this Viking quest if I don’t play during the attack break I will fall behind.

So what should be the next steps?

1) Innogames should be congratulated on this new element to the gameplay. Please do more of it.
2) Before a new release the release should be properly tested.
3) Make the Viking winter challenge inactive during the attack breaks so I and the rest of the players can have some time off and just relax with our families.
4) Do not introduce the concept of paying premium points for advantages in gameplay.
5) If players lost troops and/or resources due to the bug mentioned above, return the resources to the affected players.

Great post. Seconded.

so in the improvements that theyve done not much really
updates via the game like how the village looks not much has changed other than light - dark, movement on village view
church worlds no farming world
the server glitched often on returning troops still does do its just worse nowadays with stupid server refreshes that are over 1,000ms seconds which is about time someone really sorted it out properly

as goes for forum update of which it didnt need its hard to read and gives some headaches whilst on there

pp for f.a there was a mass exodus then from the game by players i dont agree with them there f.a was needed the only thing ive said before everyone should have the right to farm non barbs if your paying for it
otherwise we will still use links and bookmarks which then slows the server down due to loads of pages opened up to farm them

uk has the pp via nothin more satisfying than wiping them out when there bragging away i pay to speed up my village

if an account is run 24/7 the ones at home all day cant keep up if the ones that are on 24/7 then pay pp to speed up theres no balance or fairness to the game anymore

its same with the workers that are matching against an all day players they just cant keep up most do as best they can thoe

Play No Haul worlds, it rebalances the game a lot.

DeletedUser

My question is if these "vikings" will make their way to more established worlds?

"The Tribal Wars Winter event 2012 has now begun on our newer worlds, and Viking camps are appearing across the world map." is a bit vague and could mean that it will eventually begin on the older worlds.

DeletedUser

On older worlds, would it really make a difference? I mean, would the players locked in eternal battle in W1 or W2 for example really profit from 10 hours of increased iron production?

DeletedUser

Extra recruitment speed would certainly help ^.^

But... Can someone from Innogames tell us if this feature is gonna get to the older worlds?

File Not Found

Doesn't this go entirely against the point of the scheduled attack breaks?

Ie. to prevent people logging in and farming (and thus gaining advantage over those who don't) instead of spending time with friends and family.

DeletedUser

Ie. to prevent people logging in and farming (and thus gaining advantage over those who don't) instead of spending time with friends and family.

I agree. It makes it so now I have to be on during the holidays to farm in order to stay ahead. Being at war on 2 different worlds means it's gonna suck away some of my time.

DeletedUser656

No, that has never been the main point of the attack breaks.

DeletedUser93182

No, that has never been the main point of the attack breaks.

It was the point of the attack breaks a year ago

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by lykaon78
Cant we at least hit barbs? or have a res income increase for each attack break?

No, the point is that players who are not available to play the game over Christmas/NY are not at a disadvantage. Allowing players to farm would ruin the point of the break.

Link the thread here http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthr...availability&p=6338791&viewfull=1#post6338791 your post is number 10

I firmly agree that this goes against the original purpose of the attack breaks.​

DeletedUser656

It was the point of the attack breaks a year ago

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by lykaon78
Cant we at least hit barbs? or have a res income increase for each attack break?

Link the thread here http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthr...availability&p=6338791&viewfull=1#post6338791 your post is number 10

I firmly agree that this goes against the original purpose of the attack breaks.​

Correct, the break exists to prevent attacks on players while they are on holiday / with family, which would be a massive disadvantage to them. While in previous years the inability to also farm has been an extra bonus towards helping prevent that disadvantage, we did not feel the limited farming on Viking camps detracts from the main purpose of the attack break.

You cannot really agree this goes against the 'original' purpose of the attack breaks because the original purpose of the attack breaks was decided before tribalwars.net even started.

DeletedUser93182

The fact remains that we now have to play the game during the attack breaks, those who do not play will be at a disadvantage. Which is pretty much what you said defeated the purpose of the attack break last year.

DeletedUser656

The fact remains that we now have to play the game during the attack breaks, those who do not play will be at a disadvantage. Which is pretty much what you said defeated the purpose of the attack break last year.

We've ran some estimations and players should have been able to collect enough furs to last through the breaks without needing to farm for more. Any resources looted from Viking camps during the break would be so negligible that really no one will be at a disadvantage.

DeletedUser93182

I disagree with this, players who will farm the viking camps all day can farm nearly as much as they would during a day of just farming barbs, therefore players will be at a disadvantage if they don't play over Christmas.

The point of contention is how much of a disadvantage but it cannot be argued there is no disadvantage

DeletedUser656

Very true for when the event started (a pre-balanced version of the event with very high resource output was still on the servers), but not now that the correct version is running :)

DeletedUser

In my opinion, the attack break exists to stop players from doing as much as possible in order to cut down on the amount of support tickets sent. Is that about right?