Earth Hour 27th march 8:30-9:30

DeletedUser79727

Guys remember to participate in earth hour.

closing off your lights for an hour can change the world :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but one hour in a year is like spitting in the ocean. It looks all nice and pretty as the ripple spreads out for a few seconds, but it is soon irrelevant as the ripple subsides. People openly think about their energy conservation for a few days after Earth Hour, but they then go back to their usual ways and leave televisions, lights and computers turned on. Go ask the average person in 6 months time if they follow the same procedure as they did on Earth Hour day. Most would not even be able to tell you the date of Earth Hour in a month's time.

If you want to make a real impact, start charging extreme amounts to use electricity. Oh hang on... they already do that where I live and all it did was put pressure on the needy like pensioners and the disabled who now cannot afford to run their air conditioners in summer.

Sorry, but Earth Hour is nice and it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, but it does sweet diddly while large production facilities and companies churn through electricity on a massive scale. Do you have any idea how much electricity a steel smelter uses? They use enough energy in a day to power a small city for a month. This is so we can make the steel to make cars that we drive to work, that pollute the environment with fuel emissions, while we idle in peak hour traffic. And for those who may be interested, I catch the train to work as it is cheaper and better for the environment.

This is an issue bigger than one hour a year. Earth Hour is nice, but if you want to make a change, vote for the political party that is committed to environmental issues, then walk to work, eat shrubs growing on the side of the road and buy tons of candles for lighting...

DeletedUser79727

well

in every endeavour making the first step is hardest. seeing how people spread the word around the world, the first step of saving the enironment has started not long environmental issues will be given much needed attention.

by participating, you help the cause
by closing off you lights you make a stand.

DeletedUser

If you had to snipe a train at 8:35pm (during Earth Hour), would you turn your pc off?

DeletedUser79727

well my PC is on :)

I turned off the lights though <3

hey dont go rambo on me :) if you dont want to support the cause it's all good :)

DeletedUser

I'm not against the cause, I just think that it needs to be more substantial. I know that Earth Hour is a start, but at the rate that this world consumes energy, one hour is nothing.

I have watched the environment suffer for the last 30-40 years. The river near me is so screwed up now that it is possibly beyond repair. Activists and environmentalists have been warning people for years. Go look at the icecaps at the poles. They are receding at an unprecedented speed.

When you have governments openly stating that there is no climate issue, then you are screwed. You can have as many Earth Hours as you like, but it won't fix the issue. Vote your politician out of office and then email him and tell him why you didn't vote for him. He just may change his thoughts on climate change after that...

DeletedUser

Vote your politician out of office and then email him and tell him why you didn't vote for him. He just may change his thoughts on climate change after that...

But if he's no longer in office how can he change anything? :icon_eek:

DeletedUser

The thought is to vote someone in that does give a shit about the environment.... lol

DeletedUser

Only one way to help the environment.... stunt the growth of mankind to equal out the death rate of human. All your efforts are for not as the human population continues to grow thus doubling/tripling/so on so forth the amount of human consumption of electricity/water/land/food and so forth. So in the end.... taking a stand really doesnt mean much because the ever growing population thwarts your efforts at conservation.

plant a tree, yet plow over thousands of acres a year to make new homes, after so long our resources will be eaten up unless the governments put limits on the amount of children people would be allowed to have. So i always chuckle when i see stuff like this because its almost like there avoiding the big picture.

War that takes civilian life and death and/or control of the human population growth though limiting the amount of children people have which is impossible of course.

So one way or another if you look at it.... your boned

eagla

Only one way to help the environment.... stunt the growth of mankind to equal out the death rate of human. All your efforts are for not as the human population continues to grow thus doubling/tripling/so on so forth the amount of human consumption of electricity/water/land/food and so forth. So in the end.... taking a stand really doesnt mean much because the ever growing population thwarts your efforts at conservation.

plant a tree, yet plow over thousands of acres a year to make new homes, after so long our resources will be eaten up unless the governments put limits on the amount of children people would be allowed to have. So i always chuckle when i see stuff like this because its almost like there avoiding the big picture.

War that takes civilian life and death and/or control of the human population growth though limiting the amount of children people have which is impossible of course.

Thats a good point imo, we live for all or nothing. If we had always looked at the larger picture, we would of never gone to war, overpopulated, over-used the soil for materials. We would of spent every waking moment to development in ourselves but then i suspose. Extinction is inevitable, if you believe in the elastic band theorem for the way that the universe is ever-expanding but at some point starts to come back on itself. You can begin to realise that there is a cycle where the universe expands ever growing until X amount and then creates another big bang theory whilst coming back into the core with all the matter that it collects when coming back on itself. Existance in my mind is inevitable, but time is the factor for how long it survives. If this theory is correct, (i have not heard of any names but it seems far too easy to explain and like many things in life everything goes through a cycle, our bodies, materials, objects) perhaps even the universe is a cycle?

DeletedUser

There was an Earth hour 0.0

Also I rpomise that I will kill double the people I have children, that will cancel myself and someone else out.

Therin

Contributing Poster
Reaction score

Rather than stunt the current birth-rate, we should really just kill the old people.

DeletedUser

Rather than stunt the current birth-rate, we should really just kill the old people.

Everyone has a right to life so thats not really going to happen. Only way to legitimately solve the equation would be to have wars in the top countries there there are heavy civilian casualties or nukes are used. There are statisitcs out there somewhere showing how much the human population grows every so many years or such.

But like i said, there is only so many options in dealing with this equation and we are far off being able to populate other planets and terra-forming them. So war is mostly the only legitimate option available. You cant stunt allowing people to have children or kill people at a certain age. But you can always fight over resources/religion/because you dont like someone/ etc. At least from a political standpoint.

DeletedUser

I think I'll go with the unbiased, nonpaid for studies that all proved we aren't hurting, or helping the earth or climate.

In other words, I'm going to be going at full, if not 110% of energy consumption. :)

DeletedUser

There was an Earth hour 0.0

Also I rpomise that I will kill double the people I have children, that will cancel myself and someone else out.

I couldnt kill anyone, so can i take your extra kills please?

Good idea... ? :p

DeletedUser

I think both you and faaaaark are missing out on the larger ideal. Yes i understand that maybe it will have no long term effect on the environment by having an earth hour, but what it does promote is awareness. And the more people who are aware the more chance we have of making and addressing change. In the end of the day supporting earth hour makes alot more sense in attempting to make changes that will have an effect on our environment, rather than bash it and not show support i dont see how that will have any positive effect, in fact all i can see is the exact opposite.

Maybe the methods dont match your view point, but we all hope for and are working for the same out come, so why not at least support each other if we are rowing in the same direction?

DeletedUser

I think both you and faaaaark are missing out on the larger ideal. Yes i understand that maybe it will have no long term effect on the environment by having an earth hour, but what it does promote is awareness. And the more people who are aware the more chance we have of making and addressing change. In the end of the day supporting earth hour makes alot more sense in attempting to make changes that will have an effect on our environment, rather than bash it and not show support i dont see how that will have any positive effect, in fact all i can see is the exact opposite.

Maybe the methods dont match your view point, but we all hope for and are working for the same out come, so why not at least support each other if we are rowing in the same direction?
I'm not missing the point, I am more than aware of the damage being caused to our environment. I have watched it for years now and after 30 years of scientists screaming at their politicians, the word is FINALLY being received. The problem is that they are not acting fast enough. Awareness is all good and nice, it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling... but we need action.

An example is Australia. We now have one of the largest Green vote counts in our National and State elections. The only way to make a REAL change is to put proper legislation in place to make people change their ways. This is why I stated that your local politician should be your first port of call. Vote him out and vote in someone that WILL make a difference.

Anyways.... as for Cope's theory, I've always hated that New Zealand bastard down the road from me that keeps stealing my newspapers in the morning, so I'm heading off to kill him.

GET OFF MY LAWN...!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Yes faaaaark you are aware, but believe it or not its not all about you. Its about the majority and not a minority, and in order for those 'powers that be' to hear a majority is needed. Awareness does not give me any feeling besides remorse for not acting sooner. But Now that more people are realising it, it is being replaced with hope. Hope that even with the small changes we can manage, they are positive changes in the right direction.

Just to clarify my point you cannot vote out your local politician without a substantial majority vote which will only come from awareness. Like i said above maybe you and your neighborhood is aware and that is great, but the green hour is focused at introducing awareness to everyone in order to make change on a large scale.

DeletedUser

Adam, I never said it was 'all about me'. I AM introducing awareness to make change on a large scale. It's called voting for those that will do what is needed.

You can vote your local parliamentarian or congressman out of office if enough stand together. It's called a democracy. Enough people vote for one person, he gets in. The other fat cat gets the boot.

I am trying to tell you what is happening in Australia. In a very recent State Election, 20% of the vote went to the Greens. People are now realising the environment is a massive factor in their lives and they are voting in large numbers. 20% of the primary vote... that's not far from a majority considering that the party that won the election had less 40% of the primary votes. Think about it for one minute. 20%...!! This is massive compared to 30 years ago. Green parties would have been laughed at, back in those days.

What flows on from this is that the new State Government here now needs to appease the Greens Party to get their new bills through parliament. This means that all new legislation will have to take into account the effect on the environment and other climate change related factors if they want their bills passed through parliament.

As I have said earlier, if you want to make a change, vote for the person that will work for the environment and against climate change.

Hold hands and sing songs all you like, sit in the dark for an hour if it makes you feel good, but instead of wishing for a better future and hoping that OTHERS will drive the cause forward, do something about it and vote in responsible leaders that will pass legislation that will look after the environment and our kid's future.

Shit, this is not rocket science.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hold hands and sing songs all you like, sit in the dark for an hour if it makes you feel good, but instead of wishing for a better future and hoping that OTHERS will drive the cause forward, do something about it and vote in responsible leaders that will pass legislation that will look after the environment and our kid's future.

Shit, this is not rocket science.

No its not rocket science. And all you have done is repeat what you already said. The goal is not to sing songs and hold hands or to sit in the dark. The goal is to create more awareness, and i dont see how that is something that should be treated negatively. I understand your local issues, I understand your point and i am not saying that voting out your local legislation ect is the wrong decision or a bad idea, in fact i am all for it. But creating ideas that motivate and encourage further awareness on the other hand is not working against your cause but rather for it. The goals are the same in the end of the day:icon_rolleyes: ..save the world..save the cheerleader.