Final Fantasy 13

DeletedUser

I just got my wisdom teeth out and FF came out on the same day, so needless to say, I've clocked a considerable amount of time in the game already!

I just wanted peoples thoughts who've bought the same so far. ;)

I thought the linearity was a little overwhelming until around chapter 11, but the game opens up nicely after that. The story and the great battle system are enough in my eyes to negate the affects of the linearity.

Overall, very fun game.

nakki pappa

is it really worth buying? i've heard much of it, seen laods of previews and played some of the older ones but is it like even close to as good as the older ones?

DeletedUser

I think my name says it all :icon_wink:

Its a great game, although like you said, i was really let down by the linearity and the whole lack of towns/NPC's. I'm excited to get to chapter 11 when the game is supposed to open up and start doing side quests.

The story and battle system make the game worth it. I've only just started Chapter ten (That boss battle at the end of chapter 9 was HARD and took hours of grinding to level up lightnings weapon), but so far i can say the story is one of the best in the FF series.

If you like a great story and a fun battle system the game is for you. I've only rented it because i heard all the bad reviews, but its now become a must buy.

DeletedUser

Hmm... Humm...
I've been playing Borderlands...
Now your making me want to pop my copy in the machine tonight, to put it through it's paces!

nakki pappa

hmmm, i like more this open RPG kind of games like The Elder Scrolls series, Guild Wars etc so i think i have to pass this one.

DeletedUser

You could be missing out ,they are saying it opens up around Chapter 11, I'm guessing they are considering their first 11 chapters the learning curve, keeping you directed in where your going, to get hte story started, and your character developed, and you used to using hteir battle system.

Maybe KBS can let us know how it is now that it's opened up for him.

DeletedUser

Thats exactly it AYK. And in all honesty, chapters 11-13 (where the game opens up) are far bigger then you could imagine for the end fragment of the game. If you were inclined to get 100% completion in the game, it would take around 140 hours, whereas chapter 1-11 takes about 20 hours in total. Look at it this way, if you were to run across the entire open area in chapter 11 from beginning to end (excluding plot points), it would probably take you an hour lol.

The level/battle system and story is more then enough to mask the linearity for the better part of the first 11 chapter anyway.

Its the same level of linearity that 10 had, except it opens up way more at the end.

The graphics are completely phenominal, and will blow your mind entirely. I read somewhere that it took them 4 days to polish a single rock that appears in one scene for 3 seconds ;D, imagine that for the entire games graphics. The camera, however, is a little funky, and won't let you look at stuff you want to look at sometimes, but its nowhere near game breaking at all. I got used to it after a chapter or two.

The only other downside aside from linearity, in my opinion, is the lack of a memorable villian. The villian, in essence, was more the struggles that the main cast goes through along the progression of the game. Thats fine though, it worked out perfectly.

There is also the mention of lack of NPCs and towns. Both exist in the game, just not in the traditional sense. NPCs talk to you verbally as you run by, you just can't run up to them and interact with them with text bubbles, which is a step up in my eyes. There is also enough communication and story between the main cast, that these side NPCs become unnecessary for the games progression, and would only slow down the speed of the game. The same goes for towns. You can go in towns, you just can't stop and shop and such, you do that from save points. This is to keep the mostly frantic pace that the game promotes. It coincides with the story well. It would ruin the pace of the game and undermine the events that are going on to push you in this frantic pace if you could stop and interact with people and explore towns. Thats the way I see it atleast.

As far as ranking to others in the series... Heres my order.. (and don't flame me for not being an avid 7 worshipper, I only played it recently, when the graphics were so archeaic that the game lost the special pizzazz that it used to supposedly have :D)

10-2

And after this we still have FF13 Versus coming out, which is supposed to be a FF story, with a kingdom hearts style battle system :D.

They are also talking about doing a FF13-2 now, and think they can pull off a better one then FFX-2 :D.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

hmmm, i like more this open RPG kind of games like The Elder Scrolls series, Guild Wars etc so i think i have to pass this one.

Seconded, I usually like games more like Oblivion (Elder Scrolls) and Fallout 3

You could be missing out ,they are saying it opens up around Chapter 11, I'm guessing they are considering their first 11 chapters the learning curve, keeping you directed in where your going, to get hte story started, and your character developed, and you used to using hteir battle system.

Maybe KBS can let us know how it is now that it's opened up for him.

11 CHAPTERS TO GET STARTED?!?!

I hope they're short lol, cause that seems like a lot to go through to just get started?

How many Chapters are there btw?

DeletedUser

Seconded, I usually like games more like Oblivion (Elder Scrolls) and Fallout 3

11 CHAPTERS TO GET STARTED?!?!

I hope they're short lol, cause that seems like a lot to go through to just get started?

How many Chapters are there btw?

There are 13 chapters, and I'm only at Chapter 10 and have spent 30 hours playing, but I tend to take my time while playing. I think it takes the average player like 20 hours before the game "opens up"

DeletedUser

I have to admit after seeing there are only 13 chapters, and it takes 11 to open up...
Umm I might put it in (since I have it), but no rush now, I think I"ll get bored before chapter 11.

DeletedUser

I have to admit after seeing there are only 13 chapters, and it takes 11 to open up...
Umm I might put it in (since I have it), but no rush now, I think I"ll get bored before chapter 11.

the thirteen chapters take a long time to finish, and if what kbs says is true 80 percent of the game takes place between Chapter 11 and 13 I Still havent finished it so have no idea if thats the case. I was worried that Chapters 1-10 would be dull, but i find myself really engaged as the battle system/story/voice acting/graphics are all top notch. When you finally get around to giving it a shot, be sure to post your impressions!

Anyways im going back to play, I have this goal of getting past chapter 10 tonight. I want to see just how much this game does open up.

DeletedUser

Big difference between what you mean, and what we are saying. By open up, we ONLY mean map wise. The story and gameplay are still very captivating from early on. The straight corridors don't really take away from the first part of the game, and the last two chapters are as long as the rest of the game before. (Actually, far longer if you are insane and plan to go for 100% completion, which is a 140 hour project).

I'd still STRONGLY recommend the game if the game didn't exist beyond chapter 11. You have to play it to understand I suppose, but the linearity is very suiting to the game at these points.

Heres a measuring stick. Were you a FF10 fan? This game is very similar to FF10, except with a much stronger battle system. FF10 didn't open up until the VERY end of the game, after around 15 locations (chapters) worth of area, and only opened up for the very final part of the game. It was still an awesome game imo ;). The openness of FF13s endgame, however, is similar to that of FF12s.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I have to admit my time for playing 100 hour RPG's has been limited these last 6 years with two kids :p~
So I gave up on the FF series around 7 or so (which was actually more than 6 years ago (c: )

DeletedUser36833

I am a Final Fantasy fan and cannot wait to get this one.
Ive heard alot of mixed reviews about the game.
Last one i played was X-2 and i dont think anything can be as bad as that really? can it?

DeletedUser

I am a Final Fantasy fan and cannot wait to get this one.
Ive heard alot of mixed reviews about the game.
Last one i played was X-2 and i dont think anything can be as bad as that really? can it?

12. 12 was worse XD.

DeletedUser36833

12. 12 was worse XD.

Even worse than dancing around singing some crap... shesh!

I really want them to do 7 again keep it the same but change the graphics obviously. That really was a awesome game.