Four Easy Steps to help yourself NOT get hacked

DeletedUser

I decide it was time to write a small guide on things to help yourself from losing your password.

Tribalwars doesn't officially sponsor any of the programs mentioned below but these are safe and handy for helping you keep your computer safe for FREE.

I personally use these and two other programs I bought. Most computers come with an automatic firewall, which should NEVER be turned off.

Step 1:

Go to http://www.filehippo.com/ and download under anti-virus Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1296,(it will not work properly if you do not restart when it asks you to), then you want to download Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.1.41 Beta located under anti-spyware & under Most popular downloads download CCleaner 2.15.815.

There are a few comparable programs to Spybot S&D, a few have been mentioned here in this topic, just make sure what you use, works. :)

Step 2:

Once those 3 are downloaded, you want to run CCleaner first. You want to " Run cleaner" over Windows and Applications, allow it to free up the space you have full of junk. Then go to registry and scan for issues. I personally delete all found issues once its done running.

Step 3:

Open up SpyBot Search and Destroy, first you want to go to Update and download all known updates, mainly the rules of finding new viruses need to be downloaded, the program wont run without these done. Then go to Immunize, run this tool twice. Once that is done, go to Search and destroy and check for all problems, this may take a while. Once the scan is 100% done you want to fix all selected issues. Running this step once a week is advisable.

Step 4:

Avast will need you to restart your computer to run properly. I don't use this to scan my computer, its just another backup firewall to keep my computer and files safe. If you see a blue sphere with an a in it circling in the bottom right corner of your computer, the firewall is on, there may be a second circle with an I in it, you can right click it and merge the two together, it saves space.

Note: This is just my personal guide to help you keep your account safe. Whether you use it or not, these have been beneficial for me in the past and present, and its what I tell all players to do when they also lose their password. This guide works for people who use Windows XP and Vista.

On top of this, I suggest changing your password every 2-3 months, and making sure its easy to remember for you but hard to guess for others.

Last edited by a moderator:

kalkoenvet

I want to add that Hitman pro also is a VERY good program to keep your computer free of stuff you don't want, it's a combination of several programs that are free to use (Spybot search and destroy is included too).

DeletedUser41666

I want to add. Always check the URL at the top when entering your passwords. Only ever enter it on tribalwars.net
Even when you log in on twstats. The url where you actually entery your password is a tribalwars.net one.

DeletedUser

Hmm, if you have multiple firewalls running doesn't it actually increase the chances of someone gaining access to your computer?

Or am I completely wrong? (my computer knowledge isn't vast :p)

Soft Stuff

I download Norton 360 its a very good program but i need to re-new due to a big virus that is hitting computers

DeletedUser

i dont trust Spybot Search & Destroy becuase of the terms and conditions seems too odd

DeletedUser

Lizy, you may want to add:

Do not tell other people your password.

:icon_eek: I've found this is essential to anti-hacking.

DeletedUser

Lizy, you may want to add:

Do not tell other people your password.

:icon_eek: I've found this is essential to anti-hacking.

:icon_biggrin:

Thats what i think, many people make aliases and eg, keep passwords the same, and then wonder: WTF! I got haxed!

DeletedUser

I'll add in my common sense too:

-Don't tell you password to anyone else!
-Make your passwords longer than 5-6 characters, at least.
-Don't make them words, phrases, or anything at all that could possibly make sense to anyone but you. (So that it can't be just guessed.)
-Don't save your password to your browser if you're using any computer that might be used by other people, especially any type of public computer or a family computer if you have that ebil younger brother that would mess with your stuff.
-Make sure that you have a valid e-mail address, that only you have access to, connected to your account so that if by chance anyone does get your password you can recover it. Additionally make sure that said e-mail company doesn't block mails from TW.

DeletedUser

The best way not to get hacked is not signing-up for anything at the first place.

DeletedUser1802

The best way would be to avoid the interwebs entirely...

DeletedUser64859

Ok I would suggest AVG anti virus which has all your ammenities. and alot of tech junkies use it. but the issue is this. it is fantastic for the first day. but the update don't work unless you pay for the update.

Another good one but you have to pay for it is PCcillin Trend Micro. That program is the top suggested by circuit city, best buy, PC world, etc... but the Military although they have a better version than you can ever get. The military use McAfee but remember they have a military version :).. which I use because my brothers friend is the comp guy for the military :).

DeletedUser

I find a healthy rotation of passwords is good aswell also keeps your mind active with the fact you have to remember a new one ^^

i use trend micro =D its only 100 dollers every 2 years if your smart thats 100 aussie dollers 0.0

DeletedUser

Hmm, if you have multiple firewalls running doesn't it actually increase the chances of someone gaining access to your computer?

Or am I completely wrong? (my computer knowledge isn't vast :p)

only slightly and it slows down your computer enormously if I am correct.

also AVG is a good one. I suggest to use it.

HeftySmurf

-Make your passwords longer than 5-6 characters, at least.
-Don't make them words, phrases, or anything at all that could possibly make sense to anyone but you. (So that it can't be just guessed.)
-Don't save your password to your browser if you're using any computer that might be used by other people, especially any type of public computer or a family computer if you have that ebil younger brother that would mess with your stuff.
-Make sure that you have a valid e-mail address, that only you have access to, connected to your account so that if by chance anyone does get your password you can recover it. Additionally make sure that said e-mail company doesn't block mails from TW.

Also Servy, Make sure your Email Reset Question Answers on things like Hotmail and similar services are not guessable or known.

For Example Lizy's Email Reset.

What is your First Name : Lizy

Do good questions or dont write down answers correctly so only you know them :D

Also Norton Fails, its a rubbish Anti-Virus.

If you want something free and decent, Spybot, Avast or AVG.