French Fries

DeletedUser

Aren't we getting off topic? Can we please go back to the french being scared cowards :p

DeletedUser

I love how everyone went to WWI and WWII, to look at how the French are when it comes to war. But I was thinking a couple things a little more recent. Like Vietnam? They go in there start getting their butts kicked, and beg the US to come help them. So they start sending in advisors (who we have to protect), and the next thing you know there isn't a Frenchman in the country and America gets a wall in DC with hundreds of thousands of names on it for their troubles.

America has the 9/11 terrorist attacks and decides it must retaliate, but the French start acting as though former President Jimmy Carter is running their country. "Guys that isn't nice. Can't we all just get along" attitude. And is the only ally of America that refuses to support America.

Not saying I support America's blood thirsty ways where it comes to the Middle East... Oh wait they are rebuilding the Iraqi nation, buy building and supplying schools, training a real police force, providing their Dr's with training and tools to do their craft... Not too blood thirsty a move in my opinion. Anyway I do think that when someone puts their lives and resources on the line for you in at least 3 seperate wars, the least you can do is offer your support.

The French as a nation failed to do this.

Many props though to the lone Frenchman who isn't a coward. Take it to them S2.

DeletedUser

I love how everyone went to WWI and WWII, to look at how the French are when it comes to war. But I was thinking a couple things a little more recent. Like Vietnam? They go in there start getting their butts kicked, and beg the US to come help them. So they start sending in advisors (who we have to protect), and the next thing you know there isn't a Frenchman in the country and America gets a wall in DC with hundreds of thousands of names on it for their troubles.

America has the 9/11 terrorist attacks and decides it must retaliate, but the French start acting as though former President Jimmy Carter is running their country. "Guys that isn't nice. Can't we all just get along" attitude. And is the only ally of America that refuses to support America.

Not saying I support America's blood thirsty ways where it comes to the Middle East... Oh wait they are rebuilding the Iraqi nation, buy building and supplying schools, training a real police force, providing their Dr's with training and tools to do their craft... Not too blood thirsty a move in my opinion. Anyway I do think that when someone puts their lives and resources on the line for you in at least 3 seperate wars, the least you can do is offer your support.

2 more very valid points their modox

DeletedUser

Thanks for helping this get back on track love the knowledge.

Shadryk 01

Well, the French were defending their colonial interests in Indochina. They didn't beg us for help. The French were defeated by the Viet Minh in the battle of Dien Bien Phu. The French garrisoned this strategically important area, and Ho Chi Minh brilliantly defeated them...the French had to sue for peace to prevent the complete annaliation of their men. Horrible defeat for the French.

The problem was that Ho Chi Minh turned to the USSR and China for political & some military support. Fearing a Soviet stronghold in a critically important area (Vietnam) the US decided to blunt the insurgency and support an ally in South Veitnam. Obviously, it didn't work out. Some 53,000 Americans died (not "hundreds of thousands.") The US fought heroically, won almost every battle, and was actually making great progress...however, the US lost the political will to continue the fight. Anywho, the US presence and the French presence were wholly separate issues. Each nation had different reasons for being there.

Like many Americans, I was livid with French-American policy in the early aftermath of 9/11. While standing behind their Gaullist "French Pride," they were also acting in their own economic interests. France and Iraq under Saddam had extensive commercial ties:

[spoil]Economic interests as of 2003 - Before the US led invasion (from the Heritage Foundation):

France controls over 22.5 percent of Iraq's imports.[1]

French total trade with Iraq under the oil-for-food program is the third largest, totaling $3.1 billion since 1996, according to the United Nations.[2]

In 2001 France became Iraq's largest European trading partner. Roughly 60 French companies did an estimated $1.5 billion in trade with Baghdad in 2001 under the U.N. oil-for-food program.[3]

France's largest oil company, Total Fina Elf, has negotiated extensive oil contracts to develop the Majnoon and Nahr Umar oil fields in southern Iraq. Both the Majnoon and Nahr Umar fields are estimated to contain as much as 25 percent of the country's oil reserves. The two fields purportedly contain an estimated 26 billion barrels of oil.[4]

In 2002, the non-war price per barrel of oil was $25. Based on that average these two fields have the potential to provide a gross return near $650 billion.
France's Alcatel company, a major telecom firm, is negotiating a $76 million contract to rehabilitate Iraq's telephone system.[5]

In 2001 French carmaker Renault SA sold $75 million worth of farming equipment to Iraq.[6]

More objections have been lodged against French export contracts with Iraq than any other exporting country under the oil-for-food program, according to a report published by the London Times. In addition French companies have signed contracts with Iraq worth more than $150 million that are suspected of being linked to its military operations.[7]

Some of the goods offered by French companies to Iraq, detailed by UN documents, include refrigerated trucks that can be used as storage facilities and mobile laboratories for biological weapons.

Iraq owes France an estimated $6 billion in foreign debt accrued from arms sales in the 1970s and '80s.[8]

From 1981 to 2001, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), France was responsible for over 13 percent of Iraq's arms imports.[9][/spoil]

My problem is that instead of saying, "we oppose the war because the current regieme benefits us," the rhetoric was virulently anti-American, and sought to discredit the US as well as the effort.

France is an important ally, however. Not an easy relationship. That's for sure.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Nice graphics there jedisage.
Now as for kicking the french around just quit. I don't give a hoot which government it is they have all done major screw ups, the only problem is the french are most memorable about it cause it was done in the public eye instead of behind closed doors or in the bedroom.

DeletedUser

Yeah, stop derailing the thread jedi. And as for the French, have you guys seen Sarkozy's wife? I mean c'mon, would you have time to fight?

Shadryk 01

You mean the EX-wife....who left him? Yeah, I'd be too busy running for the hills. She's got some miles on her:

Nicolas+Sarkozy+second+wife+Celilia+Cecilia+Ciganer-Albeniz+photo%5B3%5D

Sure you're not confusing his wife with these women who he's checking out?

2ex0sb5.jpg

30m5yqr.jpg

2nhdesh.jpg

Last edited:

DeletedUser

LOL, wife, ex-wife, mistress, mistress-to-be; I was just trying to get into the French spirit.

DeletedUser

I haven't seen ogling like that since the Clinton administration....

DeletedUser

We're all so going to get some infractions...
[spoil]
original.jpg

[/spoil]

DeletedUser

In those pics Obama isn't doing to bad a job oggling either.