Half priced nobles... Something to look forward to?

MichielK

Still, back then, in 4 months your account grew over 1000%
Exciting times, eh? And now... meh, not so much. Growing 1000% in four months (then) is more entertaining than growing 20% in four months (now).

Fighting LSHRV is a lot more entertaining than nobling out rim noob #12 though. It's all a matter of perspective. As the game progresses, I find myself having more and more fun...though this may be due to the fact that this is my first world, so every experience is a new one.

re: swapping players vs. conquering. I was referring to players taking over accounts they did not originally create.

There are a lot of potential downsides to this, and I think we encountered all of them during the CND war...may even have managed to invent some new ones :icon_wink:

Sometimes it works great, but more often than not it's a mistake. As a result, we do this on a very limited basis and only in rare circumstances (people wanting to transfer to their smaller friend, former players in good standing coming back and becoming a coplayer, etc).

Anyhow, I see no point in belaboring the discussion further. You and I have each presented arguements based on personal preferrence. And it may, in fact, be moot, as the offer may not ever be made on this world. Still, it is very good that we had a chance to discuss our viewpoints here and now, before logging in one day and the survey is RIGHT THERE, in your face, without a possibility to discuss it first. :icon_biggrin:

Agreed, though I think we should keep the door open for new viewpoints (especially from people against it :lol:)...someone may have a brilliant argument that neither of us have thought of.

DeletedUser54400

I vote in favour of half price nobles. Simply because I will be able to rebuild my nukes quicker as I will have to store less.

Your are implying that storing packages takes prference over building troops for you ? If that is the case iw ould serieously recommend you to rethink your strategy.
Packages are the bonus you have left over after firstly building troops, then caring for your buildings. Any other way around puts you at a significant disadvantage as you wikll need troops first before being able to use nobles

DeletedUser

Wanted to start by saying that I will vote no for half price noble packets. I've agreed with everything MK's said to this point, so until now I've felt no reason to post since I'd pretty much only be copying. But now, SG, you've brought up a point drawn from the past that MK has not had the chance to experience. I've had a much wider range of worlds, starting areas, success and failure, so I wanted to address some points that thus far were unanswered.

You are a rim player. I am a core player. We grew up differently. I remember W16 in far more dangerous, exciting and chaotic days... when 60 tribes were struggling neck-and-neck for dominance and no one had the luxury of hiding behind continents (or even mere fields) of safe territory. There was danger in every direction, and you dared not noble faster than you could populate armies to protect your captures.
I know the feeling, while most worlds I joined and played as a noob (even in this one), I learned as I went. Finally, I felt as if I'd finally felt as if I'd established myself as a well rounded player in W39. There I got the chance to experience life in the core, fighting with players like Onaryc/Cyrano, Boske, Norach, Randalthor (ex-Hippos if you remember him SG) and against others such as Pervis, Devil, PP, and AI. I'd have to say that in W39, it was the equivalent of two Hippos joining the world. We were fighting each other for the spot as top dog, but other tribes were trying to take shots at us too. Though I've quit now, I still remember those frantic days of trying to snipe trains sent from an hour or two away, dodging and backtiming nukes, all starting with single villages. So rather than coordinating with some of your friends to take some villages from a single player, you had a couple of players willing to sacrifice their offense just so a single tribemate could take a single village. And though my tribe lost that war, I emerged having not lost nothing more than a lot of sleep. So I too know this feeling, if not more so.

When I took 20 villages in a month, and I had 40 to start with, I was growing 50% a month! Not like now when I have 600 and take 30 a month = 5% gowth. I feel stagnant. :icon_sad:
Want to switch places? I'm taking much less than that per month. Despite high inactivity, LSHRV is putting up a great fight and doing whatever they can to prevent us from taking their villages. Franco going inactive in the middle of our territory was a blessing just to see my score rise daily for around a week.

C² is at WAR. Against an opponent that might have been able to make-or-break you! And are any of Raven's noble packets assisting in the war effort? No, possibly just troops; where is the glory of conquest? Of battle? During the Euthanasia/PnX war, a Plight player of comparable size to Raven (DiveKing) launched himself from K29 all the way to K05 to participate in the war. Many worthy victories did he achieve, and he is still growing strong in battle. DiveKing is but one of many tribe mates who summoned the courage to make the same six-continent-journey to join the war! ... to participate with his team Euthanising the "lazy and grossly incompetent players" that deserved to put out of their W16 misery.
I think this is more a question of playing style preference. Take chess for example. There are two main playing styles: positional and attacking. Positional is a slower paced game, dedicated more towards strategy and slowly weakening your enemy while gaining strength. It's often slow, but safer. The other, attacking, is just what it sounds like. A player throws everything they have at the opponent and tries to win quickly in a spectacular display. This can result in a quick, decisive victory, but it can also cause the attacker to lose just as quickly. It's the same here. To me, Raven is the more positional player, taking barbs, even though he dislikes it, and building them up so that he can use the troops for the betterment of the tribe. Dive was the attacking player in this situation, launching himself half way across the world to join the fight. He was obviously successful in this and benefited from his decision.

D'oh! Now it all sinks in. I guess that combination of quotes did, indeed, shed light on why you and I view the world differently. I prefer to Euthanise, not assimilate. Such a task requires nobles to be used to conquer, instead of resulting in a noble surplus.
Just had to poke a little fun at you here SG with simple stats.
Plight members: 80
C2 members: 72
So who's the one assimilating again?

True. Same "players," but playing different accounts, without spending the nobles required to conquer each village. Swap small players into the large quitters and noble out only the small player. It is, as you put it, an effective management strategy. It keeps the old, loyal player around and it drastically boosts his account size, without having to do battle or to use many nobles. The trade off? Personal pride, perhaps. I could not say. I would not care to go by any other identity than Seagryfn, even if I could become more powerful by "swapping." Do I really want to ruin that sense of pride and achievement by making the game easier? I like that it's difficult, since it gives me a better feeling if I succeed (on my own merits).
Again, here's another example that I've personally experienced. You are absolutely right in your reasoning SG. When Adam and the old Crosa approached me asking that I take over the account, I was at first hesitant. The size and location, great though they were, of the account didn't really matter to me. I took a lot of pride in what I'd done on the Jurasu account in game. It was the one I was known as, and I knew that I'd done it all myself. And then suddenly I was asked to give all that away to take over what someone else had started. At one point, I almost decided on saying no.

The one thing that made up my mind to take over the account was the thought that doing so was not for me, but for the tribe. The then ~3m Crosa account was much more important than the ~1m Jurasu account, and that's what convinced me to do it.

@Truscott - That's probably a problem of resource mismanagement on your part. I can build whatever I may need in my villages, queue troops for days and still store ~1k packets per day (full farms contributes to this since they don't use resources for anything else). But this also acts as a point for why I don't want half prices packets. I can train nearly 2 nobles per day.

ravensbane3468

well as no one has replied showing that they have few to no packets and lots of inactives around, I'll assume most reading this agree - they don't need more packets.

Now, lets ask another question - does anyone still farm for resources to build more packets?

I would think not, but I may be wrong.

DeletedUser

I'm against it. And I agree with everyone's points so I feel no need to write more.

DeletedUser29719

I vote in favour of half price nobles. Simply because I will be able to rebuild my nukes quicker as I will have to store less.

Whatever strategy/set up you are using for the nukes, you can build 24/7 and still have something to store.

If the number of villages just seem to be "too much" for w16 people to noble in the coming months, then perhaps "at least" the players of the top tribes may agree "not to noble any abandoned/gifted towns" so that the world will develop much faster than it would with even quarter priced nobles. Anyone willing to give a try? I dont think so, especially while we are getting tons of tribal inactives to get fat such that packages are not enough to noble them anymore.

This discussion also shows why tw actually fails after a certain point and only turn to be matter of "activity" rather than the quality of tactics and decisions. For the same reason I think the players that stay at top during early periods are much more skilled than the ones at the late era. Anyway, thats another discussion.

Less priced nobles means more packages for the people who are willing to give more time to the game and another good reason to give up for the people who dont want to play the world faster than it is. Remember that w16 is .75 speed world. Haven't any people knew the world will be like that while joining? And what is the purpose of changing the speed setting indirectly?

DeletedUser

Whatever strategy/set up you are using for the nukes, you can build 24/7 and still have something to store.

If the number of villages just seem to be "too much" for w16 people to noble in the coming months, then perhaps "at least" the players of the top tribes may agree "not to noble any abandoned/gifted towns" so that the world will develop much faster than it would with even quarter priced nobles. Anyone willing to give a try? I dont think so, especially while we are getting tons of tribal inactives to get fat such that packages are not enough to noble them anymore.

This discussion also shows why tw actually fails after a certain point and only turn to be matter of "activity" rather than the quality of tactics and decisions. For the same reason I think the players that stay at top during early periods are much more skilled than the ones at the late era. Anyway, thats another discussion.

Less priced nobles means more packages for the people who are willing to give more time to the game and another good reason to give up for the people who dont want to play the world faster than it is. Remember that w16 is .75 speed world. Haven't any people knew the world will be like that while joining? And what is the purpose of changing the speed setting indirectly?

I have played in a world that changed from regular priced nobles to half priced nobles. (w2) The game play was not actually effected all that much by the change. Yes w2 has the largest player from any .net world but that is only a result because of the initial speed, and the length it has been open, and the activity of the players that have been fighting for first place.

The enabling of the half-priced packets only allows more ease for players to use their nukes effectively, and by being able to take two villages in a day or building a whole new train in two days it allows for more fighting to occur, and while it does allow for more barbarian eating to occur do you really think that people would not do it with out the half priced nobles? Personally I think it only changes the fact they can noble it in one day instead of waiting for two days to pass for the same results. Over all it would not be a large change, I was totally opposed to the idea when it was introduced to the w2 population, I even created a signature that was based soli against the topic. But now that I have played with the ability to build nobles faster it is not as drastic a change as I believed it would be. We are losing people fast enough anyway, by time a vote for this comes around to the public for it to be initiated on w16 we will have lost even more. Might as well let people enjoy themselves a little more with being able to noble whatever it is they like. It is not going to really speed up much more because you still need to be able to clear the villages you are taking, and on any war front we are spending more and more every day with having so many stacked villages to face, which will only get worse as the world goes on and people have more of their own villages to use to stack against the enemies.

DeletedUser

well as no one has replied showing that they have few to no packets and lots of inactives around, I'll assume most reading this agree - they don't need more packets.

Now, lets ask another question - does anyone still farm for resources to build more packets?

It wouldn't surprise me if Seagryfn still does, if you read all of the last page.

The more offensive players will benefit from half priced nobles over those who are defensive, due to rebuilding nukes constantly, in a high O:D ratio. Also if anyone has an account that i might be able to play send me a message, I'm thinking about playing again :/

Last edited by a moderator:

mLions

So, if i'm correct, the summary is:

half priced nobles are good for nobling but slow down conflict because players noble more barbs/inactive accounts...

Can see MK's point - full priced nobles force you to take your opponent's village, not some barbarian villages...

MichielK

So, if i'm correct, the summary is:

half priced nobles are good for nobling but slow down conflict because players noble more barbs/inactive accounts...

Can see MK's point - full priced nobles force you to take your opponent's village, not some barbarian villages...

I like you much more when you're agreeing with me than when you're sending dozens of nukes at me :icon_wink:

mLions

you're no fun MK! bringing all these thousands of support in matters of hours is a terrible way to have a fun TW game! :)

DeletedUser75807

I do on a very limited and select basis.

I ran off a few players, knocked down everything but Resources and Warehouse. I farm them every 2 or 3 days from old reports using the attack again with the same troops feature, takes ~5 minutes to send 20 farming attacks. It gives me a method to keep adding noble units that I miss by rebuilding troops.

DeletedUser78416

I do on a very limited and select basis.

I ran off a few players, knocked down everything but Resources and Warehouse. I farm them every 2 or 3 days from old reports using the attack again with the same troops feature, takes ~5 minutes to send 20 farming attacks. It gives me a method to keep adding noble units that I miss by rebuilding troops.

5 minutes to send out 20, gaaawwwddd you're slow!

:icon_razz:

Im just pickin', Im sure you just do it the manual way from your old reports.

DeletedUser

If you have a notebook and have opera it takes a lot less time than 5 minutes to do your way norym.

DeletedUser

If you have a notebook and have opera it takes a lot less time than 5 minutes to do your way norym.

Or any other non-IE browser. :icon_razz: You just have to make sure to archive the reports, otherwise the links will go bad after a week or so.

DeletedUser75807

I usually do it while waiting on hold or on a conference call. That is dead/brainless time so I do something that takes little brain power or attention.