Has the Haul Limit Changed TW's for the Worst?

• Thread starter DeletedUser101547
  • Start date

DeletedUser101547

So in the hopes of openning up some decent discussion on the forum I'm going to write about my experiance so far on w61 and ask you if you've had simular experiances, how these differ from my experiances on other worlds and whether these are a result of the limited hauls settings, just bad luck or a reflection of society or some thing deep like that.

So lets start with some of the fundimental effects that limiting hauls has on the game. In a normal farming world the best farmers generally race ahead, loosing a nuke or a ville can easily be caught up through just spending a bit more time farming back the losses. Where as with the haul limit our resources come mostly through pits making the value of one village all that more important and the loss of a nuke all the more costly.

Now this world has to me seen a huge increase in people going for easy villes though internals and account mergers. Family Tribes are no longer the execption but the rule. There is strength in numbers and even people who would have mocked family tribes in the past are now adapting the model for themselves. Wars end premeturly or end up in mergers because lets face it, it's a lot harder to get the res now to rebuild those nukes, long wars mean slowing down the growth of the tribe.

Now the start of the world so far has for me at least seen more drama, selfishness, backstabbing and cowardice then I've ever seen on another world. (I've played on at least 14 worlds not counting HP or Speed). People are less willing to put their villages and troops on the line, as it comes with a greater cost, and are more subject to playing dirty to gain an advantage. Now I'm not saying these eliments don't exist on other worlds, they do in great measure, but the scale which I've seen it here is notiably more then on farming worlds, w56 was simular to this one but the settings were still new then so early on most were still playing it like a farm world and didn't adapt to the settings until later.

Just to back up my point I'll give you a brief overview of my journey on w61 so far and then you can tell me, was it a result of the settings, bad luck or some reflection of society rubbish.

So I started Wonka as a small premade in the SE. Early on I noticed a couple of other tribes that seemed to have done a simular thing, create a small select tribe on the rim (Wet? & Fr3aks). Now the hope was always to merge in wet and freaks, the SE needed one dominant tribe not a bunch of little leet ones all doing their own thing. XX was ment to be the fruition of that vision.

Now the first encounter we had was with the tribe Rhino, and if you had any dealing with them you will understand why they ended up getting gang banged. Their attitude of "MERGE or DIE" wasn't exactly rational but oozed ego, irrationality and arrogance. Next we had East, and their attitude was even worse then Rhinos, their idea of diplomacy and bad leadership has already been discussed at length so I won't go back over it. I merged in Fr3aks and Rawr! and formed XX and things were going well.

After dealing with Rhino and East, XX were sitting in a good position, dispite pulling out earlier then I wanted to from the impact war it was a needed decision, our D was low and our relations with Censor at the time were very volitile so I was expecting to get hit from them, and if we had of we probably wouldn't have made it. That pesky haul limit just meant that we didn't have the resources to continue without slowing down the tribe to much or putting it at risk. Then the shit storm happened:-

The original duke of Fr3aks decided to leave and form Insan3, a move that totally undid all the hard work we had done with the East war, the image of XX being a strong power house was changed to one of instability. It was also shown on another thread that he not only quit the tribe he made a deal with its old enemy Impact to make sure they would hit XX trying to secure it's down fall. We then got hit with another moment of selfishness when the members of Rawr decided that they were to impatient to wait until I openned up a new front or to move to our current frontline and that it was easier to join in with the enemy that we had saved them from only weeks before. So we were backstabbed, betrayed, deserted and left for dead. It was sad to see everything that XX had worked so hard for come crashing down through the actions of individuals who put self before the tribe and adopted dirty tactics to get ahead. With that XX no longer had the numbers to hold, let alone be the power in the SE. Drastic action had to be taken so we joined Censor. A family tribe...

Now I'm not looking for a pity party or anything, just giving some insight in how I came to this conclusion through my own experiances on 61 so far.

So have you had simular encounters? Do you think the impact of the haul limit has been more positive or negative on the game? Does it promote selfishness and diminish the sence of loyalty to your tribe over the safety of your own account? Does farming actually make the game better?

DeletedUser

It's really all subjective. Whether it makes the game "better or worse" depends on which aspects of the game appeal to you as an individual player. Things like selflessness vs selfishness and disloyalty vs loyalty hold different value to different players. The thing about TW creating so many worlds is that unique settings such as no haul or limited haul can't really ruin the game. They simply provide an alternative setting so that players have to re-adjust their strategy and the way they think in order to succeed. I personally like the innovations by the TW stafff. After playing this game for a few years now I get somewhat bored of the "standard" set up of a world.

After playing for about 5 years on several worlds my two favorites have been W19 and W56 because they were both innovative and different at the time. I believe W19 introduced the no support outside of your tribe and also had a 40 member tribe limit. This completely changed strategy in diplomacy, attacking, defending ect. W56 was the no hauls world and again presented a new challenge to players.

If the worlds constantly had the same settings TW would become quite boring. There are a million guides out there and anyone with enough time on their hands can read them and become good at this game. However, there are no guides out there on how to start up on a no haul/limited haul world. These innovations cause players to actually think outside of the box and develop their own unique strategies.

OTDDeathAwaits

What happened to your tribe I believe can happen to any tribe and didnt really have anything to do with world settings. It would either take a strong figurehead to unite all the members or a unity of 'leadership' from the respected tribes that formed XX.
I might be off the mark here but you gave the impression you had been forced to join CENSOR as if it was a bad thing, I reckon you were lucky to be taken in and for you to count that as some good luck on this world for you finally.

As for the settings, they changed the early game no doubt - but late game nobody will farm anymore anyway. So it will re-balance as we move into that stage.

DeletedUser101547

@ Lord Gibby:- This is true, I didn't mean to imply that the haul limit has destroyed the game or anything, just asking the question as to whether this one particular setting promotes or benefits a certain mindset. And I reckon I could make a pretty good limited/no hauls start up guide ;-)

@ OTD You're right, Censor opening their doors was a great thing, I was trying to imply that even I've been forced to go down the family tribe route, as joining one now feels kinda strange, (I've not joined a family tribe in probably over 2 years.) Not that I was ungrateful. It just feels weird.... :p also I'm not saying that this can't happen on other worlds, just relating my experiences as indicative of they types of people I've encountered and whether the settings effect their decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser104693

How can limited haul worlds changed tw for the worst...?
It is only on 2 worlds lol

And imo I like limited hauls better atm because I don't have the time at this point in time to be farming 24/7
So the limited hauls lets people like this keep up a bit more granted they still get on a couple times a day still

But yes it does change the dynamics and way people play the game, some are nice and some are not it's like everything I guess
Has its ups and downs

DeletedUser101986

the no haul setting havent changed the game for the worst,or good.they simply allow players to change their strategy completely.you did not haver to join a limit haul world.you should have known and foreseen form the beginning the type of strategies tribes would adapt to,especially with a 60 members tribe limit,SLOW travel settings AND low unit building time.THAT is part of the challenge of joining a world like this.

^^^then again,you never HAD to join a family tribe.you saying you have ended up going the family path despite your belives just proves your willing to follow anyone before being an individual against all odds.

i broke off the "mother" tribe,and have stayed alone with my 20 members.we are the smallest top tribe in the top 20 and gaining more speed than others with 40+ players.wether impact or censor declared on me,or my guys,we would rather go down swinging than to merge to save our ass.call me old fashioned,but when someone declares on YOU,you fight to the end or until your enemy gives in.(though tbh personally its completely different if YOU declare on someone :p)

so going back to the main point,your end-game experiences in w56 should have somewhat foretold what the main gameplay of this world would be like,and a simple look at the world settings would have given you the rest.your luck in the game is in your own hands and based on your own decisions/strategies/and locations.what you do with that combination is completely up to you,not others.

DeletedUser

I haven't been around that long or played that many worlds but the two worst worlds I have had anything to do with have been 56 and 61, worst in the way of playing to save your own skin and screw everyone else, tribe or not

Maybe it's the old saying, with no farming to occupy people ... Idle hands do the Devils work ... :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

A very bad title question you have asked to an explanation that sort of directs toward a different question.

To answer your title question - Not at all. It's just another set of setting tribes and players need to adapt with. Specially favoring the people who would like to play it solo and who has a very busy life.

To answer your original question on what happen to the tribes in the SE and why did it end up like this !? - Too many cook spoil the broth. And that is what you people did over there. The world setting is for a slow and steady movement towards future, but tribes in SE seems to be overactive. And apparently overactivity killed it. Not to mention, as I have already said the members are more important for the tribe than the leader is. Apparently, all of you are emphasizing on the leadership too much there. It's like everyone of you want to be the center of attention.

DeletedUser101547

the no haul setting havent changed the game for the worst,or good.they simply allow players to change their strategy completely. complete change of strategy must have positive and negative effects on the game, if not change it's dynamics completely

you did not haver to join a limit haul world.you should have known and foreseen form the beginning the type of strategies tribes would adapt to,especially with a 60 members tribe limit,SLOW travel settings AND low unit building time.THAT is part of the challenge of joining a world like this. i think you're missing the point, i'm aware at how the settings effect the world, in fact i'll only play no or limited hauls as i don't like farming, and i think the positive changes that the limited or no hauls brings has already been discussed in length on many other threads but i haven't seen any discussions on the negative effects which we are trying to do here.

^^^then again,you never HAD to join a family tribe.you saying you have ended up going the family path despite your belives just proves your willing to follow anyone before being an individual against all odds. lol, i just said it felt weird, but as you say, I'm adapting, and my BIA Gold award on w56 say differently about being willing to stand against all odds.

i broke off the "mother" tribe,and have stayed alone with my 20 members.we are the smallest top tribe in the top 20 and gaining more speed than others with 40+ players.wether impact or censor declared on me,or my guys,we would rather go down swinging than to merge to save our ass.call me old fashioned,but when someone declares on YOU,you fight to the end or until your enemy gives in.(though tbh personally its completely different if YOU declare on someone :p) cool story bro

so going back to the main point,your end-game experiences in w56 should have somewhat foretold what the main gameplay of this world would be like,and a simple look at the world settings would have given you the rest.your luck in the game is in your own hands and based on your own decisions/strategies/and locations.what you do with that combination is completely up to you,not others. I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word luck properly

reply in bold

DeletedUser101547

A very bad title question you have asked to an explanation that sort of directs toward a different question.

To answer your title question - Not at all. It's just another set of setting tribes and players need to adapt with. Specially favoring the people who would like to play it solo and who has a very busy life.

To answer your original question on what happen to the tribes in the SE and why did it end up like this !? - Too many cook spoil the broth. And that is what you people did over there. The world setting is for a slow and steady movement towards future, but tribes in SE seems to be overactive. And apparently overactivity killed it. Not to mention, as I have already said the members are more important for the tribe than the leader is. Apparently, all of you are emphasizing on the leadership too much there. It's like everyone of you want to be the center of attention.

I'm not a writer and most of W0nka joked that I had dyslexia so my apologies if it wasn't the best written piece, i just wrote it quick and posted. Now without getting into another debate over leadership vs tribe I think you're assessment of the SE is pretty accurate, I'm not sure if overactivity is the right word but I get what you mean and it's a fair assessment.

DeletedUser104221

i think its another setting of the game world

it does allow those who are less active to be alomost as effective as someone who is online 24/7

on the other hand, the value of a unit (axe, spear or any) has increased (psychological effect too), consequently lesser OD and hence lesser action

with somewhat changed settings, TW people have given us something relatively new...out of the 62 worlds, only about 2 are limited haul settings, those who have been bored to death by farming all day in ALL the previous worlds can spend their time scheming now :p hence the backstabbing and all

i'd say this twist in the rules is a good new change, and a game is supposed to be played within the rules (as SHELDON in BBT says :p) and lets see who come out to be on the top with these rules..

DeletedUser

tbh I don't like limited haul world, because there's way too much noobs, even now w61 is open for more than 100 days, but you still can't tell which are good players, usually noobs get farmed and quit quickly, but here they survive much longer, also by village amount on normal world you can know that player is active because he's farming and nuking/nobling all the time, but here just lot of internals and so on...

DeletedUser

you still can't tell which are good players

That is where should come twstats, tribalwarsmap and your own brains. It is not that simple but still very much possible ;)

I believe limited haul is the best option TW sset new in recent times... It does allow player vs player game instead of team vs team. Last few years TW became a game, where single player has almost no chance of survival among teams of 3+ co-players, who share same account. Being online 24/7 becomes core of all winning or loosing... No wonder, that from over 100 000 players, TW has had about 2 years ago, there is now handfull 30 000 - 33 000 actively playing... Many ppl want to play, but with equal chances. Co-playing ruin any chances to succeed for a single player and limited haul at least do something to get balance back.

DeletedUser

[...]Co-playing ruin any chances to succeed for a single player and limited haul at least do something to get balance back.
LOL, theoretically yes, but in realty it doesn't work... I played w55 (farming) alone and I was pretty competitive, obviously in war time I didn't slept and so on, but who does... Now here w61, I've a co and nearly everyone in Impact have at least 1-2 co's, some have 3-4, that's mainly because lot of people is doing merges... And people are getting even more lazy...

Last edited by a moderator:

makobex

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
limit hauls is a bless for ppl who r bored hitting barbs and small player 1000 times a day (me <----)
its like u start playing tw and u only depend on internal economy (like in my fave late game)

so no prob with hauls limit

DeletedUser104866

I agree completely, but to be honest it's the game and society itself that is the issue.

Players are far more happy now to back stab and jump sides simply to save themselves than they were on the first worlds, someone's word is worth a shard of what it was these days. So far on this world, I've seen spies, traitors, cowards, and just plan scum who sell out their Tribes in a heartbeat.

It's a reflection on society as a whole, these days kids are stuck on their Xbox's and PS3's rather than out enjoying life; obesity runs rampant and kids these days are spoiled rotten. I assume you've all had some mouthy kid acting hard over the Mike to you at one point or another; parents due to society let thier kids run rampant, 5 years ago children knew how to respect experience and could be put back in line and sadly thats no longer the case. :icon_neutral:

The game will just continue to go downhill until it's eventual demise; and personally as much as I have loved this game over the last few years it's reaching the stage now where it's no longer any fun to deal with the stroppy children day in day out.

DeletedUser

I'm not a writer and most of W0nka joked that I had dyslexia so my apologies if it wasn't the best written piece, i just wrote it quick and posted. Now without getting into another debate over leadership vs tribe I think you're assessment of the SE is pretty accurate, I'm not sure if overactivity is the right word but I get what you mean and it's a fair assessment.

No where I criticized your writing quality. I war merely pointing out that the question you eventually asked at the end of the thread is sort of nothing to do with the question you put in the title.

Yeah, it is sad that so many wants to be the chieftain, leaving not enough Indians. :icon_idea:

@davispuh. Having even a co- in a limit haul is not needed, having 3-4 is just pure stupidness and shows inability to play the game with these settings.

DeletedUser

It's really all subjective. Whether it makes the game "better or worse" depends on which aspects of the game appeal to you as an individual player. Things like selflessness vs selfishness and disloyalty vs loyalty hold different value to different players. The thing about TW creating so many worlds is that unique settings such as no haul or limited haul can't really ruin the game. They simply provide an alternative setting so that players have to re-adjust their strategy and the way they think in order to succeed. I personally like the innovations by the TW stafff. After playing this game for a few years now I get somewhat bored of the "standard" set up of a world.

After playing for about 5 years on several worlds my two favorites have been W19 and W56 because they were both innovative and different at the time. I believe W19 introduced the no support outside of your tribe and also had a 40 member tribe limit. This completely changed strategy in diplomacy, attacking, defending ect. W56 was the no hauls world and again presented a new challenge to players.

If the worlds constantly had the same settings TW would become quite boring. There are a million guides out there and anyone with enough time on their hands can read them and become good at this game. However, there are no guides out there on how to start up on a no haul/limited haul world. These innovations cause players to actually think outside of the box and develop their own unique strategies.

Hey gibby, its been a while. w19 was, as stated, awesome. Those were the good ole days, with ~Time~ and whatnot. I agree that adding new things is good, but I also feel that at some point you have to perhaps start back at the beginning. The game has changed an awful lot and not all of that change has been for the better. Something could be done to suck people back into the warring aspect of the game, the social aspect of having loyalty to one group of guys until you get rimmed rather than simply running from place to place as opportunities present themselves.

However, realistically, little is going to be done by our complaining about how much hugging goes on.

DeletedUser

Hey gibby, its been a while. w19 was, as stated, awesome. Those were the good ole days, with ~Time~ and whatnot. I agree that adding new things is good, but I also feel that at some point you have to perhaps start back at the beginning. The game has changed an awful lot and not all of that change has been for the better. Something could be done to suck people back into the warring aspect of the game, the social aspect of having loyalty to one group of guys until you get rimmed rather than simply running from place to place as opportunities present themselves.

However, realistically, little is going to be done by our complaining about how much hugging goes on.

Hi I don't know your alias so PM on who this is :icon_wink:

As for the changes to the game. Its not just the game that has changed but the entire culture. Worlds are released at a much faster rate now and it seems like less new players are joining the TW community. This has led to many friendships and connections among players. You would think this would lead to less backstabbing and spying and what not, but it appears to have done the opposite. Now players seem content abandoning their tribe and joining another tribe as long as they bring with them their "core" group of friends. A tribe is no longer important to the individual, instead factions have formed within tribes by players that have become good friends. The players care more about their survival and their close friends survival than the tribes. Additionally it makes players more likely to abandon their tribe and join a tribe where they already have friends. Skype has greatly added to this as well. Skype seems almost necessary at this point to all major tribes. People make new friends with TW people through skype and in turn often become friends with their enemies (or future enemies). This makes it easier for these players to abandon their tribe and join the enemy. They don't see it as being a coward. They just see it as joining their friends.