hello, just wanted to ask somthing

Copy1234

hello

some of the really old players here might know me (i was one of the 4 founders and dukes of the old RIM).
anyway, i wanted to ask you people a question.

what are the qualities that make a really good player?

the question is not as simple as it sounds, we all know to spot a great leader and if we think a bit we can point at a few qualities that crutial for a leader.
but i want to know what makes a wonderful player, simple common player, what are the qualities and the disadvantages that are part of us all.

i will give an example, when you execute a command as asked it is great, if you take inisiative, ask help from tribe mates and execute an opp it is in general a good thing but if after you exhausted 10 tribemate's arsenal just to find out that your leadership was planning an opp for 40 players when you 10 are on the front it can be a really really bad thing al well (even if your intensions were good), so you can conclude from here that a crutial quality is "to report" up about your actions and plans...

(the question itself is for a team in a workplace but i want to know what you think about this in a game context cause it is much more expressed here as this is a game and you dont have the restrains of the company and you dont get payed or fired (and you cant feed your kids...))

thank you in advance
Copy1234
Gabi

silvereclipes

Well for me a wonderful player is one who does co op's when asked on time, and if they see a weakness in a opponent they point it out to the leadership so the tribe as a whole can exploit it to the best advantage,also a willingness to do for other mates in the tribe be it sending support when needed or setting others so they are covered,also one who knows all the basic troop builds an can experiment with them to get the best out of the builds, also being able to snipe trains when your down to barely a troop left to defend with just by knowing how many is needed to snipe a train with or can do a retake so fast they have no clue why they lost the village.and just like you said keeping your leadership in the loop if your planning an co op of your own so they can either tell you not to do it at that time since they may have plans of their own or they will use it at the same time they do their owns to stretch out a defense of the opponent's they are facing at the time.

Copy1234

OK then let me just list it (correct me if i am wrong)

1. following orders to the letter
2. able to gather info (understand reports and scout) and to extract the valuble intel from it to pass to the rest of the tribe
3. willingness to help - i need a better definition here...
4. profesional (know the mechanics of the game)
5. resourcfull - able to make the best of the reasorces at his diposal
6. report up

am i right this far?

and if you can add what make them bad players i will apprisiate (with the assumption that the have most of the positive qualities)

Last edited:

DeletedUser

1. Motivation (If your not motivated, you are pretty much useless)
2. Able to read and follow orders (Letters & tribe forums)
3. Be a team player and communicate. (This would include between co op or helping support your fellow tribe-mate's when they are in need of help)
4. Report your status. (How your attacks go, scout reports, or such)
5. Know the skill of the game. (How to built your offensives/defensive's to the standard) For some reason, I still see noobs sending offensive troops but no rams or catapults lol...)
6. Be clever. (If you know you might lose such village, think outside the box and be one step ahead of your enemy. I can point out many tricks in the game and fool my enemy but sincerely, I am not going to tell you mines, it would kill the whole purpose of why it's called "tricks."
7. NEVER GIVE UP! No matter if the odds are against you, no matter if your losing villages, no matter if your enemies are getting near your area. Put your guard up and fight! This is indeed the best player, the one that loses but learns from it and then get back in their feet. The one that stands up against others, when no one would)
8. Well, this one is for those who are leaders in any position. If your going to lead a member, you have to bring their trust and to achieve trust, you have to be the first one out there fighting or defending your members. It will truly show your members that your a role model and they will surely count on you to be there aside them. To achieve it, you have to know more about your members, other than just the game, so you can create friendship. If you create friendship, they will surely communicate better with you.
Overall, if your members can't trust you, your not a role model and if your not a good model, they can't count in you, and if they can't count in you, your not even a leader.

If good players can qualify to these tasks,
there are the true meaning of a good player.

Xangyia

silvereclipes

OK then let me just list it (correct me if i am wrong)

2. able to gather info (understand reports and scout) and to extract the valuble intel from it to pass to the rest of the tribe
3. willingness to help - i need a better definition here...
4. profesional (know the mechanics of the game)
6. report up

am i right this far?

and if you can add what make them bad players i will apprisiate (with the assumption that the have most of the positive qualities)

Ok on 3. a better definition for willingness to help is if they pass you the set you tag the incomings if they have premium, you snipe those you know that you can't block an you block those you can with as little lose as possible to the troops so they can take a punishing pounding an make them work so hard they give up to find a easier mark.

And I will add one more now that I think of it if your using Skype or any chat program as a tribe you use it get to know your fellow mates better an also us it to coordinate support an attacks from it since it is faster then just going to the forums.you use the forums mainly to list those you will need support on an update it when enough support was sent.

As for Bad players those are the ones who never get to know each other either because they are either to shy or don't know the language, they may have the basics down but when things get tough they panic an give up when all they really needed to do was get to know their mates even at such a late start in letting them to get to know you so they can still send support,the number one rule in the game as far as I am concerned is never give up no matter how bad things get,we have all been there where our backs have been against the wall but things can turn around an if you panic it won't help anything it just makes it even worse.to me that is what makes an marks a player as bad those who give up when things get tough.

Copy1234

hi

Xangyia -
1. Motivation - this is the job of the leadership not the player - you can get anyone motivated by the right leaders and cause
2. Able to read and follow orders again it is the job of the leader to write it in a way that everyone can and will understand the same
3. Be a team player and communicate. make a player a team player - job of the leader - communicate needs a better definision
team players are not born that way - we all are quite selfish creatures from birth and we usually (OK allways) help others only if we expect something in return. our genetics gave us the ability to feel satisfaction by helping others but this quality survived trough the evolution just cause it gives us an advantage - we help others cause we insure that we will also get helped when we need it and natures way to do it is by releasing andorfins into our brain when we do "a good deed"
the leadership is the one that needs to give the players this security that if today the help the tribe that the tribe will help them when needed.
this is one of the foundations of "the old rim" and what made it so great - we accomplished that the players have full trust in the leadership and that we assured that no man left behind, everyone if needed would send their last spear if asked.
i will give an example from something actually happened in the old rim, one of the players sent everything he got to the other side of the continent to help others but the tribe next to that player double crossed us and launched a coordinated attack on that player, he asked for help and within 2 hours (when i got the sit) he had 340 incoming full villas of support from all arround the tribe and the opp of the enemy that actually consisted of 183 nukes and about 50 trains failed missarebly

4. Report your status. OK
5. Know the skill of the game. (i will add here "or willing to learn")
6. Be clever. (If you know you might lose such village, think outside the box and be one step ahead of your enemy. I can point out many tricks in the game and fool my enemy but sincerely, I am not going to tell you mines, it would kill the whole purpose of why it's called "tricks.") - OK, interesting i like this one
7. NEVER GIVE UP! No matter if the odds are against you, no matter if your losing villages, no matter if your enemies are getting near your area. Put your guard up and fight! This is indeed the best player, the one that loses but learns from it and then get back in their feet. The one that stands up against others, when no one would)
this i totaly agree, and the sad thing that these players are so rare
8. Well, this one is for those who are leaders in any position. If your going to lead a member, you have to bring their trust and to achieve trust, you have to be the first one out there fighting or defending your members. It will truly show your members that your a role model and they will surely count on you to be there aside them. To achieve it, you have to know more about your members, other than just the game, so you can create friendship. If you create friendship, they will surely communicate better with you.
i will quote part of somthing that i wrote (these questions is to write about the other side of it - the side of the player)
"Why do we choose to follow someone? Why do we follow orders in a game, in an online game, where we don’t owe anyone anything, where we have nothing real to lose?

Definition by Wikipedia: Leadership has been described as the ‘process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task…Leadership is ultimately about creating a way for people to contribute to making something extraordinary happen.’ [/I]

The beauty and indeed what is so addictive about an online game like TW is that it gives us the independence to accomplish what we are able to accomplish without the restraints of a structured society. Without our social status, education, financial concerns or anything like that in our way, we are able to play because it gives us the chance to be as good as we are able to be.

Not everyone is able to lead; leading is to enrapture a group of people about your vision. It is not an easy task as members of a group only accept leadership from the one who has the capacities to fulfil their needs. People follow a leader if he or she gives them what they wish or need and I am the first to admit it that I am not the ‘Leader’ type. Indeed, I am more a ‘manager’ type but this does beg the question: What do we actually wish or need?

In every case, we seek some kind of security; we want to be assured that we are walking the correct path, that we are doing the right thing and that there is a bigger picture that we understand where we fit into it

“What makes a person want to follow a leader? People want to be guided by those they respect and who have a clear sense of direction. To gain respect, they must be ethical. A sense of direction is achieved by conveying a strong vision of the future.” - Kenneth Boulding

Effective groups have leaders who are able to translate their vision and the expectations of the group they lead into a strategy, to find the right people to translate the strategy into tactics and into plans that the group will understand and will want to follow.

The way the leader develops the targets and communicates decides if the group will accept them. If the targets are only described by the leader without group input or if the leader does not listen to the ideas of the group or punishes players who have difficulty reaching the goals, than the players will get the idea that the balance between ‘costs and profit’ is against them and they will feel exploited and as it is a game, they will, in the better case leave, and in the worst case stop playing as a part of the team."

and lets get back to the list :
3. willingness to help - willing to invest time and reacorces to the aid of a fellow tribemate
4. profesional (know the mechanics of the game) - or willing to learn
6. report up
7. to be clever
8. to scocialize with other team mates not only on "work" base level but also get to know the person
9. never give up

Last edited:

DeletedUser9021

From the point of view of a duke leading a war tribe, a great player is loyal and follows orders. I don't need to shoot the breeze with each and every member, but I do want them to make their kills and to stay true to the tribe. Those two qualities are essential, everything else is optional. I couldn't care less how well players time, as long as they get the job done. Remember kroner72, copy? He was a lousy player, but he made his frags. Or talk about gaggzy: he learned to use trains relatively late in the game, but you know he earned his spot in RIM by being in the top three takers against ATA.

Copy1234

hi hench :)

good to hear from you.

loyalty is mostly earned by the leaders, and follow orders is the first one in the list.
and you also mention persistance that is important.

the list i made is not a list of all the qualities need to be maxed.
but all need to be there in a great tribe member in some quantity, a player that isnt that profisient with the mechanics of the game but gathers info and post it in a readable manner, send help whenever he reads that someone needs it and follow orders is a way better tribe member than a ranked 1 player that doesnt talk with the other tribemates

DeletedUser

Your both good players, just take a look in the mirror Copy. I remember you mate, another one of the good guys.

Mick876

A good player is a player which:

1. Is 100% loyal to there tribe
2. Follows the orders of there duke.
3. Should be able to time attacks to hit the same second.
4. Should be able to snipe a train.
5. Should be able to send a noble train under 1 second.
6. Active
7. Doesn't panic under heavy attack.

Thats what makes a good player.

DeletedUser

Doesn't Panic under Heavy attack, that is a good one I'm surprised that wasn't said beforehand. Good additions Mick :)

Mick876

Been able to stay calm under heavy attack is what makes and breaks a player. Nothing worse than having a member who freaks out when under heavy fire and you find yourself doing all the work as all of a sudden something in "RL" has popped up.

DeletedUser

yes, it's always so inconvenient when RL gets in the way when you are under heavy attack...although there are occassions where RL actually does

DeletedUser

A good player is a player which:

1. Is 100% loyal to there tribe
2. Follows the orders of there duke.
Thats what makes a good player.

i lol-ed

1.Loyalty comes first. We all have seen tribes crumble to the ground because of the opposite.
2.Honesty. That might come second but it's in an equal race with liking what you do. When speaking your mind you might as well be heard from your comrades, and when honest you will always be respected (not all you say might be good though so control you damn mouth :icon_evil: lol...i know i had to apologize to my whole tribe once just because i went too far with my honesty)
3.Socializing and bonds with comrades. What can i say, when you manage that, than you have an Old Rim hahaha that works as a sole body. That my friend makes thing flourish, cause all parts want that body to be healthy, cause if you head hurts you body cant work and so it goes with it all. Combining this with the 2 first, then you have a power machine on the run.
4.Trust to the leadership, if not than change them :pP All need leaders, sometimes leaders need leading lol. Trust them, work with them, help them and ask them to help you back. Leaders should be there to serve all hehe . Since this is a game and there are no big stakes, i very much hope at least in this one, the leaders could be from the people, for the people :) If that happens, than we have a tribe that can only progress.

The rest is really optional indeed. All will soon or later start learning and mastering the tw techniques! At least those that like the game. With time you learn and gain wisdom and thus you are clever lol. Will understand what the numbers mean and will make good use of them. After one year, all could be pro, since this tribe of good players XD tribe i'm describing works as a body none could be left behind, in wisdom, growth, professionalism, motivation etc! Having vets helps a lot though lol
5.Is that you must have a lot of spare time unfortunately to be able to copy with all that. That's when a lot fail, good or bad and retire and get nobled.

But the most important is that a player must enjoy it and have fun.Tw was a good place to have fun indeed :icon_wink:

Mick876

You can lol, because you are one of those players who will always suck :)

But fyi i am more of a mercenary. When i am in a tribe i am 100% devoted to it. but if i ever moved tribe, then i would be 100% devoted to that one.

And all you have said is that loyality, honesty, social skills and trust to a leader makes a good player. That is totally wrong. It makes for a good tribe member, but were talking good player, you can be as loyal as a dog but a terrible player.

DeletedUser

remember that you insulted me first. I lol-ed cause the truth is that you have jumped tribes so what you said "Originally Posted by Mick876 A good player is a player which: 1. Is 100% loyal to there tribe" does not confirm your actions. Being loyal to the tribe means you fall with that tribe. What's wrong with you trying to twist words and make them fit you. No mate, you fit to the concept not the vice versa. Maybe in your own little micky mouse world everything may be as you wish, but hey, i got news, we are talking about w6 lol

The rest is really optional indeed. All will soon or later start learning and mastering the tw techniques! At least those that like the game. With time you learn and gain wisdom and thus you are clever lol. Will understand what the numbers mean and will make good use of them. After one year, all could be pro, since this tribe of good players XD tribe i'm describing works as a body none could be left behind, in wisdom, growth, professionalism, motivation etc! Having vets helps a lot though lol
5.Is that you must have a lot of spare time unfortunately to be able to copy with all that. That's when a lot fail, good or bad and retire and get nobled.

But the most important is that a player must enjoy it and have fun.Tw was a good place to have fun indeed :icon_wink:

Do i have to say that you should read what i wrote before trying to argue with me? Well, get your head out of your bottom mate. This isn't mickey's wonderland. There are real people behind screens that will rub your ignorant words back to your face. Why do you want me insult you? Couldn't you just accept what you are and keep your bs in your head? lol At least that's honesty and that i can appreciate.
Why do you all have to represent yourself as elite all the time? Only idiots are still noobs in this game after 3 years of playing it, can you hear? lol 1 second noble train. I know tons of people can do that, given a good pc and net connection lol. Did you know that that is a problem, the net connection? Hahaha it can really screw your timing? :S
Are you one of those that are trying to say that tribal wars is a solo playing? I'll have those good tribe members (that know how to play :p) over your good players any day and i'll show you why tribal wars is called tribal wars and not micky wars lol.
w00t had the best in one moment, but the disloyalty destroyed them, as it did with many other tribes. Good players my ass lol
I suck? That one you can't prove, right? That's why you suck for running your mouth like this.

Mick876

Nah its not solo playing. But we are talking about what makes a good player, and all you stated was that they have to be loyal, honest, have good social skills and are trustworthy to the duke. As i stated this does not make a good player, this makes a good tribe member. A good player is a player who can time well, defend well, and get the job done on the frontline. Loyalty is just a bonus. Plenty of loyal players in Or.D, are they good players though? No.

See you take what i post then write a paragraph about nothing but rambles, the fact is i am right. what you said makes a good player is the qualities of a good tribe member, we just talking about a good player here.

You call me Disloyal for leaving SIN, but that was my choice, I left SIN when it was at its strongest, what about players who left when SIN needed them the most? KW your allies, ran like rats when things went bad, i left when things were at its peak.

And talking about Disloyal, how disloyal was Or.D to SIN? Cazac frquently mailed Onny123 trying to get an Alliance with HIRE when they were formed, Why was he doing that eh? Allying to a tribe Anti-SIN which would totally trap Or.D in with no targets. If he was trying to ally with HIRE, who was his target eh? SIN was his target. So how about you stop been a hypocrite.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

And talking about Disloyal, how disloyal was Or.D to SIN? Cazac frquently mailed Onny123 trying to get an Alliance with HIRE when they were formed, Why was he doing that eh? Allying to a tribe Anti-SIN which would totally trap Or.D in with no targets. If he was trying to ally with HIRE, who was his target eh? SIN was his target. So how about you stop been a hypocrite.

SIN wasn't Cazac's target.

But what happens when HIRE fall? What happens when HIRE fall, when SIN are left with no targets because Nakoro played Let's Love All The Tribes In The World And Have Babies Together? What happens?

OrD become targets.

Cazac mailing Onny seeking positive diplomacy is news to me, and whether true or not, a duke has to keep his or her options open for the good of the tribe.

I suppose in one respect it was a good thing the world turned on SIN before SIN tunred on the ones they thought inferior.

Mick876

Yeah it is true, you can ask onny yourself. i have seen it myself. But my point is, even the duke of Or.D was making plans against SIN. So to come on here and call me what he ever he calls me when ever he gets the chance is a bit hypocritical. I left SIN because i was bored, Or.D made plans against them to destroy them. Who is worse than who?