Helpful tips for new players

• Thread starter llamaswilrulesupreme
  • Start date

-Cheesecake-

Why blame Hastyr? :icon_sad:

You're an old emo skeleton. That's why.

Something else that is also fun is to go to a cyber cafe, get a few of the computer's names (Start -> Right click "My Computer" -> Copy the name by "Full Computer Name" down on a piece of paper), and shut them down remotely when someone gets on.

How to shut down remotely:
Run -> Type in cmd -> type in "shutdown /i" with no quotes and all in lowercase. -> Click "add" near the top -> type in the desired computer's name -> set the timer to 30-60 or so -> ok.

They (the person on the computer being shut down) will then be like "WTF" if you wrote something like "Virus 1847210 has infected your computer. Shutdown in X seconds." Although, the cafe's will normally kick you out when you do it once or twice. :/

~Cheese

DeletedUser19041

Well, as you have seen, quite a few recognized and good players are playing this world, and it seems there are only 3 ways to successfully escape their "1338" wrath (thats right 1337+1)

Option 1. Most sensible new players choose this option Settings ==> Start Over

Option 2. Send them a message written in semi-sarcastic "leet-speak" and hope they find it funny....and don't farm you for that reason

Option 3. Use your "supa ebil hax0rz sk1llz" to make your village invisible, observe:

1st Step. Open Start+R and type cmd then press OK

StartR.jpg

2nd Step. Type cd C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox [ENTER] start firefox.exe "Unfarmable.html"

cmd.jpg

3rd Step. Find your village, right click it and select properties

eep-1.jpg

4th Step. Select the "Hidden" button, your village is now invisible

End notes: Yes this was my half "buttocked" (wouldn't want to be infracted now would I) attempt at a joke, flame away!

@People who dislike me, in step 2, change what you write to rd WINDOWS or rd Desktop (disclaimer DO NOT DO THIS!)

cmdbad.jpg

are you from iceland?

DeletedUser

Why blame Hastyr? :icon_sad:

Because i figured you weren't playing this world so you wouldn't look at these forums. Because i figured that you'd used all your giant vagina's on LC. Because theres no one else to blame.

DeletedUser

You're an old emo skeleton. That's why.

Something else that is also fun is to go to a cyber cafe, get a few of the computer's names (Start -> Right click "My Computer" -> Copy the name by "Full Computer Name" down on a piece of paper), and shut them down remotely when someone gets on.

How to shut down remotely:
Run -> Type in cmd -> type in "shutdown /i" with no quotes and all in lowercase. -> Click "add" near the top -> type in the desired computer's name -> set the timer to 30-60 or so -> ok.

They (the person on the computer being shut down) will then be like "WTF" if you wrote something like "Virus 1847210 has infected your computer. Shutdown in X seconds." Although, the cafe's will normally kick you out when you do it once or twice. :/

~Cheese

Take this one step farther and put a bat file on his laptop then link to it in the startup file. The bat file only needs to include one line:

Shutdown /f

With that the laptop will go into shutdown mode every time it starts up. Or if you really want to throw them use the /r switch in your little bat file. That will cause their computer to constantly restart over and over again.

You can also place that in the registry, but that's more complicated (but also harder to find :icon_wink::icon_wink:).

@llama, the "rd windows" thing didn't work. It complains that the file is being held by another process (Explorer.exe), that's exactly what I thought would happen. In older versions of Windows it would work, but not the new ones. Like I said earlier, it's because CMD prompt is just a shell inside Windows now instead of Windows being inside DOS like it used to be.

As for the password trick, I know it also doesn't work without admin privileges.

To test, sign off as the user you're on. Sign on as guest, then try it on the user account you were on. If you have no password on that account it'll let you set one, but if there's a password it'll say you don't have the privileges needed.

Now an easy way around this would be to go back to that SAM file and replace the encrypted password with the encrypted password from your user account. That changes their password into yours, Problem once again here is that you must have admin privileges to change that file. Now there are ways around this, but I won't get into that here. (sorry folks, but if you want to take my Hacking Windows Security class you'll have to move here and sign up for it)

The M$ (MicroSoft) programmers aren't so stupid as to include a simple hack around their security. If the "net user username *" command worked you'd be able to use it on any Windows system that didn't have the ports needed blocked (NETBIOS ports if I'm not mistaken). Check HERE if you don't believe me. That was hard to find in writing since the net commands have been reduced to scripting uses since Windows developed their OSs more towards networking.

Sorry to burst your bubble, now ask me what I do for a living. :icon_wink::icon_wink:

DeletedUser14038

Take this one step farther and put a bat file on his laptop then link to it in the startup file. The bat file only needs to include one line:

Shutdown /f

With that the laptop will go into shutdown mode every time it starts up. Or if you really want to throw them use the /r switch in your little bat file. That will cause their computer to constantly restart over and over again.

You can also place that in the registry, but that's more complicated (but also harder to find :icon_wink::icon_wink:).

@llama, the "rd windows" thing didn't work. It complains that the file is being held by another process (Explorer.exe), that's exactly what I thought would happen. In older versions of Windows it would work, but not the new ones. Like I said earlier, it's because CMD prompt is just a shell inside Windows now instead of Windows being inside DOS like it used to be.

As for the password trick, I know it also doesn't work without admin privileges.

To test, sign off as the user you're on. Sign on as guest, then try it on the user account you were on. If you have no password on that account it'll let you set one, but if there's a password it'll say you don't have the privileges needed.

Now an easy way around this would be to go back to that SAM file and replace the encrypted password with the encrypted password from your user account. That changes their password into yours, Problem once again here is that you must have admin privileges to change that file. Now there are ways around this, but I won't get into that here. (sorry folks, but if you want to take my Hacking Windows Security class you'll have to move here and sign up for it)

The M$ (MicroSoft) programmers aren't so stupid as to include a simple hack around their security. If the "net user username *" command worked you'd be able to use it on any Windows system that didn't have the ports needed blocked (NETBIOS ports if I'm not mistaken). Check HERE if you don't believe me. That was hard to find in writing since the net commands have been reduced to scripting uses since Windows developed their OSs more towards networking.

Sorry to burst your bubble, now ask me what I do for a living. :icon_wink::icon_wink:

What do you do for a living?

Please don't say a space man :icon_eek:

Note: is this question pointed to the public or just chessecake?

DeletedUser

What do you do for a living?

Please don't say a space man :icon_eek:

Note: is this question pointed to the public or just chessecake?

You got me, I'm a space man.

Don't piss me off or I'll point my de-ionizer at you. (Or your bear)

-Cheesecake-

You got me, I'm a space man.

Don't piss me off or I'll point my de-ionizer at you. (Or your bear)

I thought that you worked for microsoft's piss-you-off Customer Service team. :icon_confused:

llamaswilrulesupreme

Well, since I still don't know jack about computers really (only 14, don't make fun of me), how do link a .bat file to startup?

DeletedUser14038

Rated [R] Superstar;1057011 said:
Am I being stupid or something but its not working!!

[Noticed to Rated [R] Superstar]

Throwing a stone at the screen will fix this problem.

[End Of Notice]

DeletedUser

Well, since I still don't know jack about computers really (only 14, don't make fun of me), how do link a .bat file to startup?

The easiest way to do it in Windows is through the Startup folder on your start menu.

shutdownbatnz5.png

Or if you are comfortable with editing the registry then a better way to do it is creating a new string value under:
\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\currentversion\run

You could also get fancy and put it in task scheduler to shut down at a certain time everyday or set it up so the PC shuts down every time IE is started (or any other program).

I was playing around with my boss at work and set it up so pinball started up everyday at 1:30, it took him over a week to figure out it was just me screwing with him.

I thought that you worked for microsoft's piss-you-off Customer Service team. :icon_confused:

M$ has customer service??

I actually work for an independent firm as a Network Security Analyst, we're the anti-hackers.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

is it true that anti-hackers are actually called hackers?

The term hacker is very misused. In fact I misused it myself, but I said more to help people identify what I actually do. But I should never have said it that way. :icon_cry::icon_cry:

It really means someone who is highly skilled a field, not even necessarily computers although that is the usual assumption.

Basically a Hacker is someone who can take his/her knowledge and create something in a unique way. The term originated, in it's modern meaning, from people hacking programs together. In fact that's truly what a hacker is, someone that likes to solve problems and build things. "Hackers built the Internet. Hackers made the Unix operating system what it is today. Hackers run Usenet. Hackers make the World Wide Web work."

Since I can't put this better my self I'll steal this from HERE:
"There is another group of people who loudly call themselves hackers, but aren't. These are people (mainly adolescent males) who get a kick out of breaking into computers and phreaking the phone system. Real hackers call these people ‘crackers’ and want nothing to do with them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer. Unfortunately, many journalists and writers have been fooled into using the word ‘hacker’ to describe crackers; this irritates real hackers no end.

The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them."

Now while I'm one of the "good" guys, I stop crackers, I'm only so-so at actually creating new stuff. I'm really good at finding security holes and patching them, but I won't be conceited enough to claim to be a Hacker. (in the true sense of the word)

But if I'd said I was an anti-cracker, most people would have no clue what I talking about.

llamaswilrulesupreme

Hmmm....ok fine I am clasified as a cracker then, except I do it in-semi amusing ways...like having 1000 mshearts windows open when somone clicks a .bat file disguised as "My Documents"

mshearts works especially well, since a group of them can not be selected and "Close Group" and the open on different places on the screen, all you need to do is change the Alt+F4 hotkey and it will take quite some time to close everything

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Hmmm....ok fine I am clasified as a cracker then, except I do it in-semi amusing ways...like having 1000 mshearts windows open when somone clicks a .bat file disguised as "My Documents"

mshearts works especially well, since a group of them can not be selected and "Close Group" and the open on different places on the screen, all you need to do is change the Alt+F4 hotkey and it will take quite some time to close everything

lol, see now that I find funny. No damage done, just annoying.

I think I'd write the bat file to endless loop.

I don't think you'd even be classified as a cracker for that, just a prankster.

*note: Even though most people don't know it using the command taskkill /IM mshearts.exe would close all the hearts windows at once. Once again this only would work in XP pro though.