How do graphic designers organize their graphic folder?

DeletedUser40486

Question is exactly as title says, I am total little over beginner, have literally no training, so self taught by looking at guides and CnC. Since i am downloading lot of resources and it is starting to get cluttered, I wondered how do graphic designers organize their graphic folder, If somebody can give me idea it be great. Thanks.

Also names of folder, i know few i.e. render,abstract,fractal,stock,texture...... is there anything i am missing?

erik.cartman

do them by type first
vector, raster, clipart, background, texture, filter,
then with in each type you can make different categories base on your preference
event, color, season, objects

DeletedUser40486

Okay, thankyou for your prompt reply. background folder it this for images like stock? , what does raster and filter folders stand for?

DeletedUser

I have a touch of OCD when it comes to organising files on my computer. Useful though when I need to find something :p

Resources layout is fairly standard for me:
[SPOIL]
resourcesfolders.png
[/SPOIL]

Some such as the games cut-out folder will have further folders if I have a lot from the same game or from a resource pack:
[SPOIL]
screenshot20121222at122.png
[/SPOIL]

My Works folder is laid our in a similar fashion to the resources folder:
[SPOIL]
workfolders.png
[/SPOIL]

Some psd and png folders will have further sub-folders. My larger pieces folder for example contains a lot of work that uses similar dimensions and layouts, so when I need to access them quickly having it organised s rather useful:
[SPOIL]
screenshot20121222at124t.png
[/SPOIL]

I also have a graphics folder on my desktop for any downloads or screenshots to go before they get organised.

Every designers organisation is different, so just go with what you will find natural to you :)

DeletedUser

It's mostly up to you.

I prefer to have them folder-ed by resource type so I can easily browse that section when needed.

Example:

[SPOIL][Pictures]

[Graphics]

[Resources] [WIP] [Completed works]
|
[C4D's] [Vectors] [Textures] [Renders] [Stocks (background)] [Stocks - (foreground)] (And any other categories of resources you may use)[/SPOIL]

Within those folders you can sub-section again if you want, like for example:

[Textures]
[Star stocks] [Fire textures] [Dirty textures] [Metallic textures] (etc)

Then when you are working on something you can go "Hey, this piece could use some guy on fire in the stars, lets do that! -> graphics -> resources -> textures -> "Star stocks, fire textures".

That's just how I like it, personally.

DeletedUser40486

Thanks so much this does help a lot!, For newbe who doesn't know name of material he is using when designing signatures this is very much of help (especially if it is with picture's). I have windows 7 so layout will obviously be different. (here's an idea) I am thinking of giving each folder it's own unique image for recognition.

DeletedUser

Well my advice for priorities for a beginner (if you are interested) would be:

[SPOIL]A) Do tutorials.

B) Make a showroom.

C) Follow critique.

--

A) because they are really good ways to get to know your tools and what you are doing, as-well as discover new methods. I really recommend following a lot of tutorials until you know most of the functionality, then get creative later. I think a lot of people (myself included) when starting out really focus too much on trying to get super creative instead of honing the specific aspects first. Just focus on re-creating from the tutorials first, until you have covered all you can with them, and THEN try to make some creative individual pieces. It slows your own progress to focus too much on trying to make things diverse and abstract and what-not, just learn the tools and basics of making something that looks nice to the eye first.

B) A showroom is helpful for getting critique and it's good to use it so that you can track your progress too. Remember; "practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." Feedback from the community can be really helpful to let you know what you are doing right/wrong/whether it has the effect you think. Even if you are just posting pieces of your tutorials, people will often point out things you never noticed. Your pieces always look different to someone else, especially after you have been looking at it for 2 hours.

C) Actually make use of the critique you receive. A lot of the things people will say are genuinely helpful and true, for example you will get told a lot about the "rule of thirds" or focal points, etc. These sorts of things are really useful to know and use. Its good to make personally satisfying pieces, and everyone has a different opinion about art and what-not, but in terms of basic design aspects, they should look appealing to 90% of people, so if it doesn't, you should work on fixing it (for example things like the focal points and lighting, aspect ratios, quality, etc etc). Never brush off comments people make if they dont like it, use any critique, positive or negative. Doesn't mean follow what everyone says as sometimes people don't know what they are talking about, but just make note of the views about it (never get upset about negative reviews, of course, try not to think of everything becoming a masterpiece, but always as practice to improve).

It's like cooking, master the already set cookbook before trying to get creative, because experimenting without having the required knowledge first will never end up that well.[/SPOIL]

Just something to mull over anyway. :)

DeletedUser40486

Good, good. will start downloading tuts now :icon_cool:. Btw from where do i get resources, I know sites like planetrender and deviantart but that's it, are there any other website where i can get material like vector, fractal, c4d, stock, ect ect.

DeletedUser

Planet Renders and Deviantart are great sites for resources. I am also on some gfx forums which can have exclusive packs for its members, and have some great communities too. Check out Pimped Pixels, and The Dream Evil Network :)
Aside from that I use google, when using images from google though it is best to try and make sure that it isn't copyrighted (same with DA really).

DeletedUser

Usually it will have a copyright logo or it will be signed by the artist. If it is on Deviantart then on top of that they may well say if the work is copyrighted or not in the description.

DeletedUser40486

Usually it will have a copyright logo or it will be signed by the artist. If it is on Deviantart then on top of that they may well say if the work is copyrighted or not in the description.

okay, good to know, will keep it in mind when i go resource hunting :icon_wink: