How has TW changed your life?

• Thread starter DeletedUser119759
  • Start date

DeletedUser119759

topic starter. TW has taught me that I have too much free time

Schizophrenic

we all joke i know several people this game has helped in rl. For many this game is an actual haven for them, it helped me massively when i was younger, after you get the living heck kicked out of you day in and day out, its a nice release to be able to play a game with people who rarely judge. The community on this game is a brilliant thing, and i thank the many people who helped me through the tough times and will always be there for the people who are going through what i did.

Good people are hard to find anywhere but we all know of a few people who have tragically taken their own lives because RL got too much, i think its important the community is kept alive and we all take 2 seconds to think about the situation they are in, a lot just play to be able to speak to people and not be judged, i am guilty of being way to harsh sometimes but i do try to make a conscious effort to be around for people that need to talk, and im not saying nanny or baby people, but we should all be there for one another.

Last edited:

mch123

Following in similar tone of Schizophrenic's post:

TW has taught me a lot of leadership lessons, communication skills, empathy for the real lives of others and the importance of trust. I have made many friends in the game that shoot me a message every world to see if I'm starting another tribe/project that they can be a part of.

I think that is the greatest lesson I've learned. Though it might just be a game, we can still impact the lives of the people behind the account - even if it is just making their escapism that little bit better. I still don't appreciate enough the impact that building teams/communities and creating that feeling of belonging actually has on people. Often we get so lost in strategies and 'winning the world' that we forget what really keeps most of us playing the game.

As a community, we don't do enough to promote that part of the game to the newer players who come to tribal wars. To me at least, this is the biggest reason why TW is in decline. It's also the most controllable aspect we as players have to be able to change that.

I could rant about that all day but I think it's best to keep this on topic. :)

Sinful Angel

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
we all joke i know several people this game has helped in rl. For many this game is an actual haven for them, it helped me massively when i was younger, after you get the living heck kicked out of you day in and day out, its a nice release to be able to play a game with people who rarely judge. The community on this game is a brilliant thing, and i thank the many people who helped me through the tough times and will always be there for the people who are going through what i did.

Good people are hard to find anywhere but we all know of a few people who have tragically taken their own lives because RL got too much, i think its important the community is kept alive and we all take 2 seconds to think about the situation they are in, a lot just play to be able to speak to people and not be judged, i am guilty of being way to harsh sometimes but i do try to make a conscious effort to be around for people that need to talk, and im not saying nanny or baby people, but we should all be there for one another.

This so much. When I was younger this game gave me respite and a community that I could feel comfortable with regardless of what was happening IRL. It also gave me people that I could vent to that wouldn't affect my real life which was amazing to be able to discuss things with someone older who could offer you advice. (Shoutout to Greg <3)

DeletedUser

TW taught me how to read/write English and generally encouraged me to research so I could up my game.

The addiction is also a partial cause for why I'm in a dead end place in life. So there is that.

w.h.b.

I started TW in 2006, when I was still in high school. Back then I sported the top of the rankings as a player and often also as the leader of a top 3 tribe. It taught me to trust in strangers, but never to leniently trust them. It taught me to calculate really quickly in my head. It taught me strategical thinking - mostly thinking 10 steps ahead about potential scenarios and outcomes. I've left this game in around 2010 or so, and haven't really returned, with an exception of a world (forgot which one, 45 or so?) in 2012, where I shortly played up to 300k or so. I noticed it's very demanding to keep playing it, especially as a top 10 player. This in part because I tend to be rather controlling and I didn't use to cooperate well with others on 1 account, thus I played mostly solo. I remember lodda being able to do it on two worlds, but he was an exception I suppose.

Other than that, it hasn't helped me out that much, to be honest. It's mostly been an ego-boosting experience; knowing you're good at something and showing it by crushing thine enemies is truly a lovely thing. I'll, again, vanish into obscurity soon, as I just started a new job.

foolproof32

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
Literally logged in to reply to this thread. For me this game is a whole lot more than a game. I started this game when I was 12 or 13 on w38. I had no clue what to do but liked the idea of taking over people's villages. I never learned on my first few years because I would create a tribe with a bunch of my friends who were all new and we would play and get nobled within 2 months. I was too cocky back then to read guides or take advice because I wanted to play my own style. I quit the game in 2012 when I gave up thinking I'd never be good at the game. But however as many of you here know, this game is a drug. In my spare time I would read guides and learn how the game is actually played.

This game also encouraged me to take up programming because I was amazed at how this game was designed and how scripts were written. I've been coding for 5 years now but this game is just a masterpiece in my eyes.

As someone here pointed out, this game has taught me how to be a leader and improve my communication skills and talk diplomatically without hurting anyone's feelings.

Many of you won't know me because I was never a part of world winning tribes or a top ranked player. But I'm always willing to learn and teach whatever I can which is why I never noble new players because I know how it feels to lose your first village.

Last edited:

DeletedUser656

Started playing Tribal Wars when I was 15, applied to be a moderator, worked my way up through wiki mod, forum mod, in-game mod, admin to be a community manager. Started working on Tribal Wars small improvements to practice my programming skills in my spare time, was offered an external freelancer role to continue working on the game as a dev. Created the TW iOS app. Eventually was invited to move to Germany to join the in-house dev team, am now a senior developer working on a variety of projects (including TW) at InnoGames.

Schizophrenic

Started playing Tribal Wars when I was 15, applied to be a moderator, worked my way up through wiki mod, forum mod, in-game mod, admin to be a community manager. Started working on Tribal Wars small improvements to practice my programming skills in my spare time, was offered an external freelancer role to continue working on the game as a dev. Created the TW iOS app. Eventually was invited to move to Germany to join the in-house dev team, am now a senior developer working on a variety of projects (including TW) at InnoGames.

Go away you guys are partly killing this game with your cash grabbing methods. you refuse to listen to the community.

The place many of people come to enjoy you have ruined by turning it in to a cash cow to squeeze profits.

w.h.b.

The main office in Hamburg, correct? I'll be doing business there in the coming weeks. Wasn't the Innogames revenue around 136 mil. over the past year? It appears that the pay2win mini-transaction model is highly lucrative (albeit, imo, destroying the game I once loved). I remember back in 2007, when I'd bookmark 600 farm runs and open them in sections of 50 in Opera, going '2 - enter - 2 - enter' to do my farming. I'd create excel sheets with the scouted levels of the resource production in barbs (which wouldn't grow back then) to monitor how I could most efficiently farm. When I'd finished my first script for it in JS, I remember receiving a ban for it. Good ol' days, lol.

Schizophrenic

There has to be a balance, all the Premium exchange has done is make the game even harder for the average player. with the top players farming large quantities of premium and allowing them to further squeeze advantages out of the system.

DeletedUser120518

There has to be a balance, all the Premium exchange has done is make the game even harder for the average player. with the top players farming large quantities of premium and allowing them to further squeeze advantages out of the system.

With how salty and aggressive your stance towards Morthy is it seems like you identify yourself as one of the average players who aren't good enough to take advantage of the system.
I highly advise you to spend your time on learning how to take advantage of the system instead of flame Morthy who probably can't even help the way the microtransactions were introduced into this game.

foolproof32

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score

I'm not as good as you are nor am I experienced as much as u. But with all due respect I beg to differ. Premium exchange gives players like me without a PA a fighting chance against those who pay loads of money for pp which I can't afford. However I can get resources through my pits and farming effectively. Just my 2 cents.

Schizophrenic

With how salty and aggressive your stance towards Morthy is it seems like you identify yourself as one of the average players who aren't good enough to take advantage of the system.
I highly advise you to spend your time on learning how to take advantage of the system instead of flame Morthy who probably can't even help the way the microtransactions were introduced into this game.

With that kind of response i have this to say.

There are two sides to every coin. With the premium features and quick build it gives players an unfair advantage one i have abused myself. Every game has a life cycle and Tribal wars is reaching the end of it, so inno being a business recognize this and have added the micro transactions and other features to squeeze profits out, it is no secret they are devoting a lot more time into other projects and have largely left TW to decay.

I highly advise you to spend your time on learning how to take advantage of the system
Please write a guide or contact me on skype i wish to learn.

The vast majority of players that are on this world are not on the externals, do not have time to invest into pp farming and are indeed unlikely to win or progress to far, but before when worlds were larger they had more of a chance to grow and a longer life span on this game. Now with over powered premades with pp they get nobled out within days, and are unlikely to return to the game. I am not saying players are wrong to do this, but as a concerned player i really do think this is something that needs to be addressed and adding watchtowers and events isn't going to fix it. Since the beginning of TW we have all been searching and finding ways to exploit the game for our own personal gains, to detriment of the game. One possible addition or change that would make a big difference is to have random spawns on the map and no choice in location, another one could be to force the worlds to be larger by adding more barbs, i mean everyone has ideas on how to improve the game, i have even heard of idea like AI players and what not. I do however feel now that the community in this game is losing its voice and our words are falling upon deaf ears.

foolproof32

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
With that kind of response i have this to say.

There are two sides to every coin. With the premium features and quick build it gives players an unfair advantage one i have abused myself. Every game has a life cycle and Tribal wars is reaching the end of it, so inno being a business recognize this and have added the micro transactions and other features to squeeze profits out, it is no secret they are devoting a lot more time into other projects and have largely left TW to decay.

Please write a guide or contact me on skype i wish to learn.

The vast majority of players that are on this world are not on the externals, do not have time to invest into pp farming and are indeed unlikely to win or progress to far, but before when worlds were larger they had more of a chance to grow and a longer life span on this game. Now with over powered premades with pp they get nobled out within days, and are unlikely to return to the game. I am not saying players are wrong to do this, but as a concerned player i really do think this is something that needs to be addressed and adding watchtowers and events isn't going to fix it. Since the beginning of TW we have all been searching and finding ways to exploit the game for our own personal gains, to detriment of the game. One possible addition or change that would make a big difference is to have random spawns on the map and no choice in location, another one could be to force the worlds to be larger by adding more barbs, i mean everyone has ideas on how to improve the game, i have even heard of idea like AI players and what not. I do however feel now that the community in this game is losing its voice and our words are falling upon deaf ears.

As a developer myself saying AI and stuff like that is easier said than done.
Firstly I would recommend the whole change over in the graphics made into 3D and customise it if you have a PA.
Stuff like publicizing more than 5 reports or seeing who u last attacked on the PC version should not be restricted to PA.
Paying money for games is existent right from club penguin to DOTA but those features donot give you any unfair advantage over ppl who don't pay for those things but people still do and they earn as much as Innogames does.
Another issue I would like to address is the app for android. It's wonky as hell. Takes so long to load and get things done. If anyone could contribute to the android side as I've heard the iOS version is pretty good it would be really useful.

DeletedUser

It is typical product lifecycle. Tribal Wars is dying, so Innogames needs to make as much money out of it as they can. Therefore P2W. One can see similarities through a large multitude of games.

Yes it's unfair, yes it has taken a very large amount of beauty out of the game that I used to enjoy, but it is also life.

What I will say is that in TW's heyday, I'd have not even been in top 200 with my PP usage, but the lack of competition puts me in top 20. Essentially it is possible without abusing P2W to get high ranks, but that's only because the standard of players has gone down.