How much are secrets worth?

DeletedUser

A man walks to a shop and wants to buy a Chicken for his dinner. He offers the shopkeeper one shiny stone for the Chicken. At exactly the same time in the shop, another man comes up next to the first and offers the shopkeeper the same one shiny stone but wants 10 chickens. The question that arises from the above anecdote is, what is the shiny stone actually worth: 1 chicken? 10? or something different altogether.

Between drinking beer and watching the Olympics live at the stadium on my birthday, I thought a little about what World 60 has come to. I've always maintained that a chicken is just worth one chicken and the shiny stones are irrelevent, but with shiny stones being used by other people to cease wars, people complaining about the hoarding of shiny stones etc. ...one has to wonder whether a shiny stone is worth more than I give it credit for.

With shiny stones out of the way, lets talk a little about secrets. Secrets are this world's shiny stones, worth nothing but at the same time worth everything. It is this worlds currency, but everyone assigns their own subjective value to it with a scale that ranges from very little to very large. Now we have come a bit further into the game and it is getting closer and closer to the ending, let me ask you, how much do you think these secrets are worth? 1 village? 10 villages? Victory or nothing at all?

*Theodred*

They are equivalent to their owners ambition and also equivalent to the envy of those that lust after them in my humble opinion.

DeletedUser

If you are playing tribal huggles then secrets are kinda the ultimate chip to hold, however if you are playing for domination, then secrets are a morale booster if you cap them and can give you your claim to fame, but not that important.

*Theodred*

If you are playing tribal huggles then secrets are kinda the ultimate chip to hold, however if you are playing for domination, then secrets are a morale booster if you cap them and can give you your claim to fame, but not that important.

Interesting that you used the word "chip" - I hadn't thought of it like that. In gambling situations, you either try and beat the mean or win altogether. I guess secrets represent beating the mean and dominance represents trying to win out right. Secrets are random and can allow a tribe that is not necessarily the best war-michine but has played its cards right with regards to making the best of every possible situation whereas dominance favors the tribe who has the most skilled members.

I might be wrong but I reckon most people would prefer W60 to be won through dominance so here is a proposition. Hand me one half a set of secrets and send other sets of half secrets to other randomers. Problem solved? :lol:

DeletedUser

I just stumbled across this gem of a post, and was disappointed when I noticed the post count only hit #6. It's a very interesting philosophical topic, kudos to Dylan for thinking it up. As with all demand type items (housing, fuel, food), you'll find the value increases when supply is low, and people are interested. In some ways in looking at the world I see the secrets as a ploy for dragging a world out longer, giving people the hope of victory through achieving secrets, but the reality is, when two tribes hold all of one of the secrets (which I believe we have (or had) here), then there is only one way to win, which is dominance over that tribe.

I have no experience with the actual secrets, but can see that they'd be easily defended by the right person, so how much hope can a secret truly bring? That said, I have no experience with secrets, so I find it hard to form a strong opinion on the topic of a secrets worth.

So I'm curious, if not wanting to opine on the value of a secret, does anyone have stories of secrets they can share, how they were gained/lost/sought after, so I can live/feel secrets vicariously through you?

DeletedUser

Thanks to the guy above for bumping this post xD Maybe it should be moved to the other bit so more people will see it?

I personally believe that secrets are going to be a very large influence on the end of this game. However, I do think it is going to be too easy for the people who own them to keep them when it comes to the endgame phase. For example, when a tribe holds 12 secrets the rest of the world has 30 days to get one (unless they have more than one copy in which case its even harder) off them to stop them from winning the world.

I reckon if one of the top three tribes were to get all twelve through a recruitment or something right this second, they would win the world. There simply isn't enough that the other tribes/players could do to gain these very, very specific "choke points".

Perhaps the secrets would have worked better if they were set up in "areas" rather than set villages, a 20x20 square in which the player/tribe with the highest dominance owns the secret would make things more interesting if you ask me...

I believe that the tribe who wins this world could be very passive, because there's simply not enough the aggressive tribes could do if they were to get the secrets. However, the spread is pretty good at the moment, hopefully that stays the same for some time - but I've heard that the current top tribes are up for making it a dominance world.

Summing up: secrets would be better as areas of control, not single villages, and the first tribe to get them all will win the world; however little effort they had to put in to get them.

As Dylan says - the secrets are very much like shiny stones, invaluable and worthless at the same time.

Ben

DeletedUser

It depends greatly on each individual.

At player level is a secret an effective weapon to get what you want from your tribe/surrounding players, and put some weight behind you, which would make it very valuable.

Or is it just a bulls eye on your forehead, in which case holding the secret may be more trouble than the 10 chickens are worth.

Then the same can said for tribal level, does having lots of secrets give you pull over the rest of the world, or does it make you a target for a potential gang-bang later on as other tribes realize they will only ever win by taking control of your tribes secret.

As for a secret:village value, i doubt there are many people that would lose all of their villages for the sake of 1 secret if they could avoid it.

MR.MR

Secrets, Secrets, are no fun.
Secrets, Secrets, may hurt someone.

(Or cause a preemptive close to a world)

DeletedUser

Secrets, Secrets, are no fun.
Secrets, Secrets, may hurt someone.

(Or cause a preemptive close to a world)

Dont worry we wont cause it to end prematurely by the secrets and you guys are gunna get eaten so your last part is wrong :)

MR.MR

I don't have a secret, so the eating of my account matters not... all I am is just another one of Calm's bashers...