How would you run yours?

DeletedUser

Me and a friend were talking last night about the best way to run a tribe.

He feels that telling a player that when he joins the tribe he cant leave or he will become the tribes priority target for nobles. He said that a tribe is not a truck stop if they leave the tribe that is a village the tribe has lost which should stay in the tribe.

He also felt it was appropriate to disrespect people via circular mail and was not really bothered what kind of responce he recieved as again the main part of the players would stay and if the player didnt like it and left they would just noble him/her.

I said i believed that is the wrong way to run a tribe, if a player joins he should stay becuase of the friendly atmosphere and want to stand at your side and fight because he had become your friend.

I also said the way he intended on running a tribe made all the tribesmen look at things negatively and this will breed negativity through outthe tribe and make people jump ship at the first chance eg first war, then there is a possibility the tribe would just collapse because of this ( a concept he could not grasp)

Id prefer to look at the person behind the account and help them if i can and have a laugh and get to know the person rather then concentrate on the amount of villages they bring to the tribe.

I feel a person who is your friend stands with you and people who fear you run at the first chance.

Can i get some debate as to if you think im right or wrong, what would you do, what wouldnt you do?

DeletedUser

usually if you treat the tribe like crap, they will turn on you like a pack of hungry wolves lol.

respect goes along way.

DeletedUser100696

Personally I always try to form a bond with everyone in my tribe.

I create situations in which I rely on them to get something done and, while it does turn out bad sometimes, the majority of the time they pull through on their end.

I always send a message to a player who joins the tribe asking them how their day has been and such courtesy questions just to break the ice. I let the rules sink in a little over time so that it isn't like I am all about upholding the rules or something similar. Of course, I've never had a tribe with more than 20 people. :p

DeletedUser

Exactly how i see it.

You treat people like fools and they will turn on you the first opportunity they get. Shame he doesnt realise that.

You should treat your members with respect and the people they are rather then just looking at the account, its that kind of view above that makes people hated

Oh well i guess it will be fun to watch when they collapse and start asking how that could have happened lol

DeletedUser

A perfect example would be Pressstart, the duke of DBB. He was told of a spy in the tribe by letthesunshinebaby a member of GBEARS that he was working for LTSSB. Because of my connection with Twnoblebot (duke of GBEARS) I had all my priveladges revoked and my access to the tribal forums was restricted to just the lounge. (offtopic). I found myself alienated by the tribe as a whole and in times of war with BCM, and their family BCM 2 and 3, I could not call upon support. Pressstart jumped to conclusions and got the wrong idea.

What he has failed to notice is that a few weeks ago a member of DBB and a supposed friend of LTSSB gave up a village to help him out but yet this doesnt seem to matter to him. his leak is still a member of the tribe and as such, he has gained nothing except losing a member that was somewhat helpful all round.

DeletedUser

I feel the best way to run a tribe involves treating everyone the same. As a leader I must lead by example and even in hard times I have to keep my composure. If I set an example then the members will follow suit.

Another important thing on running a tribe is to have a designated leadership. A tribe will go nowhere if everyone wants to be the diplomat and everyone wants to be the duke. A tribe should almost be ran like a business and if a member tries to act better than everyone else an example must be made. Being a member of a certain tribe means you trust the leaders of that tribe to steer you in the right direction. It is counter productive to not listen to the leaders advice or decisions.

DeletedUser

Mass recruit my way in, then kick out the newbs. Mainly you cannot know if the player is good or not, as some actually can speak in English correctly. And others might even speak badly and be good at the game.

DeletedUser

Being a member of a certain tribe means you trust the leaders of that tribe to steer you in the right direction

But if you joined and you were told you can never leave or we will make you a priority to noble, would that not destroy the trust before you had a chance to form it. Alianating people from the leadership in an instant?

It is counter productive to not listen to the leaders advice or decisions.

I see then you lead with respect only going one way? You make no mention of listening to your members, surely that is also counter productive if they are un happy about something?

Id also like to say in my opinion, no matter how nice a duke you may be if you had a duke at your side who was a really nasty horrible person who did not interact with the tribe but just barked orders, the members would grow to dislike the leadership, including you no matter how nice you treated them. As again its human psy to remeber the things that annoy us more then the things that make us happy.

I wait your responce :)

DeletedUser

I agree with what you said about the one way trust. There should be a balance in what happens over all and if a tribe as a whole is unhappy with the decisions of the council then they should be free to express their thoughts on the choices made.

A tribe should not be a dictatorship, but shouldnt be an open census or poll where the tribe gets more say in the decisions. There needs to be a balance in firm rules and open policy. A tribe that runs purely on votes whilst good in practice means that ideas will more often than not be so spread there will be little to no co-ordination to anything. However one run by some sort of dictatorship will leave the tribe in fear and no trust will be gained. an iron fist can be good for keeping a tribe strong and relatively in line but more likely to make them rebel.

As for the "if you leave we noble you" crap is a waste of time, so a member leaves why not save your time for real targets, what goes around comes around. going after ex members during war is a silly and pointless tactic.

DeletedUser

But if you joined and you were told you can never leave or we will make you a priority to noble, would that not destroy the trust before you had a chance to form it. Alianating people from the leadership in an instant?

If someone leaves the tribe talking bad about every single member then they deserve to get attacked. Why join a tribe if you don't want to be apart of it?

I see then you lead with respect only going one way? You make no mention of listening to your members, surely that is also counter productive if they are un happy about something?

Id also like to say in my opinion, no matter how nice a duke you may be if you had a duke at your side who was a really nasty horrible person who did not interact with the tribe but just barked orders, the members would grow to dislike the leadership, including you no matter how nice you treated them. As again its human psy to remeber the things that annoy us more then the things that make us happy.

I wait your responce :)

You took that out of context. I said treat every member the same which includes the leadership. That is where I went into saying that I must lead by example. How can I expect my tribe to do something if I can't even do it?

Now for having a duke being a horrible nasty person, one of that nature would not be a leader. In every form of business and types of leadership there has to be the nice guy and then there has to be someone that is stern. Usually the farther up the ladder the more stern a person is/has to be. None the less every member is treated the same and all leadership must abide by the same rules.

As previously stated in my first post; not one person should act better than another member. It doesn't show good character or dignity.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I feel the best way to run a tribe involves treating everyone the same. As a leader I must lead by example and even in hard times I have to keep my composure. If I set an example then the members will follow suit.

Another important thing on running a tribe is to have a designated leadership. A tribe will go nowhere if everyone wants to be the diplomat and everyone wants to be the duke. A tribe should almost be ran like a business and if a member tries to act better than everyone else an example must be made. Being a member of a certain tribe means you trust the leaders of that tribe to steer you in the right direction. It is counter productive to not listen to the leaders advice or decisions.

Spoken like a true leader :icon_cool:

DeletedUser

If someone leaves the tribe talking bad about every single member then they deserve to get attacked. Why join a tribe if you don't want to be apart of it?

See now youre talking specifics here, i didnt ask for a specific case i asked in general.

If a player joins and hears those words does that not stand a chance of alianating him from the leadership before you have a chance to build trust?

DeletedUser

See now youre talking specifics here, i didnt ask for a specific case i asked in general.

If a player joins and hears those words does that not stand a chance of alianating him from the leadership before you have a chance to build trust?

Its more about trust than anything.

Before an invite is sent out the leadership must trust that person enough to even invite him. By him accepting that invite he has agreed to show commitment to the tribe. A tribe isn't supposed to be a rest area. When you join something you should plan on staying in it till the end. People that don't take membership seriously and leave at the first sign of disagreement or trouble were never true members. Technically they were only using the tribe as a shelter until their name came up to give back to the place.

Taking a tribe hoppers village is necessary to cover the debts of him being a bad member.

DeletedUser

Ah i see now.

So by that player accepting the invite, the player is to show commitment, i see that point, but you seem to miss my point. You just step around the question. You would make a good politiciton.

But not a very good conversation partner.

Anyway back to it

DeletedUser

Oh geez... I had a 4 hour conversation with Tuzain about this subject a while back...
I wish I still had the logs. Not to give the best answer ever, but if I just posted the logs here, I think a lot of people would find them rather interesting...

DeletedUser

I think you should treat everyone fairly, leaders as well as soldiers. Mutual respect should be a must in a tribe, if there is no respect, I can hardly see a tribe go too far.
Ask the members about big decisions, and their opinions on it, be there for your members, weather it is an in-game problem, or just to give him a moral boost for the day, not everyones perfect, and the condition of a person in real, affects him greatly in the game. I always made sure to be there for my members, and to support them through anything, as long as they show me respect, i'll give it right back, I didn't act as the leader. The people who really make a difference in the world are the people who are not famous, the people we do not talk about.

When you do something good, only you will know you've done it, and nobody else, well I do everything I can for a tribe's members, they probobly don't know it, or see it like me, but with this, they have someone to talk to in any situation/problem, they trust me more then they trust their friends.
Trust is priceless, it is a priority, it is the gift of being a leader, you have trust.

On this I leave you, play well, play fair.

X MAFIA X