japan and the terrable tragities

DeletedUser

first an earthwuake, then a tsunami, and what next? a nuclear meltdown. if anyone lives in japan, can you give us updates on the condition? i heard today on the news that the radiaton is in food. dang.

DeletedUser74857

While i agree that the events in Japan are in fact a Tragedy. Do some research on radiation before you talk about stuff like this. If you do research you'll find that the amount of radiation in the food is very minimal. One statistic i saw was that a person could eat food with this much radiation for his entire lifetime and get radiation poisoning equal to that of a CT scan

DeletedUser

He's a child, let him be haha

On the other hand, a bit insensitive I know, buts it's not haveing Britain coming in to bail yet another country out financially wise. Japan actually has cash.

DeletedUser91043

He's a child, let him be haha

On the other hand, a bit insensitive I know, buts it's not haveing Britain coming in to bail yet another country out financially wise. Japan actually has cash.

That a dig at the Irish?????

DeletedUser

Not really, just every country in the world that has had a disaster, the country I live in and pay taxes to, feels the need to bloody give em cash. Just gets on me tits sometimes

DeletedUser

the radiation has made its way to the west coast of america and canada, it is a small amount. but if we can get radiation from that distance, imagine what the people trying to control the radiation leak must feal. and what you said about the food is not true, there are reports of radiation in the sea water, spinach, and many other things.

DeletedUser80269

they said that the radiation beside the facilities is potentially life threatening... as for helping out Japan, Japan is the 2nd highest nation is aide when it comes to helping other countries so not helping them would be a pretty big slap in the face... i mean an example is that Japan has paid 40% of the money it promised to help out Haiti, in comparison the US has paid 13.4%... and i am an american, so that is some pretty embarassing numbers right there... i find no problem with helping a fellow human being, the way i see it if it happened to me would i want people to hold onto their own money because they want to be greedy?

DeletedUser80269

oh and harry as much as it pains me to say that i agree with coldog... he is telling the truth, they have tried to withdraw the food because they said it carried dangerious amounts of radiation in milk and beans and a few other products

PS sorry for the double post

DeletedUser

they said that the radiation beside the facilities is potentially life threatening... as for helping out Japan, Japan is the 2nd highest nation is aide when it comes to helping other countries so not helping them would be a pretty big slap in the face... i mean an example is that Japan has paid 40% of the money it promised to help out Haiti, in comparison the US has paid 13.4%... and i am an american, so that is some pretty embarassing numbers right there... i find no problem with helping a fellow human being, the way i see it if it happened to me would i want people to hold onto their own money because they want to be greedy?

I don't know how I didn't know they donated. Stupid me, and yeah, now that you said that, we would be pretty twatish if we didn't assit.

DeletedUser80269

I don't know how I didn't know they donated. Stupid me, and yeah, now that you said that, we would be pretty twatish if we didn't assit.

i mean i completely understand that you pay taxes and have your own family you need to take care of, im not debating that at all trust me i completely understand! i mean personally i have to find a way to get money to pay for both me and my girlfriends college tuition so i know what its like to be tight... but i guess the way i see it is i could have some personal satisfaction or they could potentially live and if we could make it easier i want to try

DeletedUser

I'm l for helping Allies I.e Ireland, Scotland, Wales, America and France etc, but I simply dont know why Britain has to stick its goddamn nose in. God, this sounds right selfish, and I'm not like that at all, I'll help anyone in anyway I can.

But yeah lol

DeletedUser80269

oh trust me you have no idea how much i agree with you... like the crap in Libya, and the stuff in Iraq (Libya is led by France and UK but USA is still backing them) and Iraq and Afghanistan is mostly US in charge... i dont see why went cant keep to ourselves and stop trying to play police officer... im tired of seeing great men and women lost fighting for something they just shouldnt be fighting for

DeletedUser

the monroe docterine created under franklin gives the united states the power to be the "national police"

DeletedUser74857

That's true, however that doesn't mean we are obligated to do so. I love the USA. Its a great country, but we stick our noses into other people's business a little too often.

DeletedUser80269

The Monroe Doctrine created by US says that WE can dictate others lives and try to play police?... thats like me announcing tomorrow that I will step in and take charge of Illinois when it needs help... Who cares? I have no control, It's not like the Doctrine was voted on by other countries... one country just decided they would be the police... quite stupid honestly

DruidEarth

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
The Monroe Doctrine, created in 1823 during the presidency of James Monroe (it was actually written by Secretary of State John Quincy Adams, who would later become president), was designed to reduce European interference in the Western Hemisphere (i.e. the American continents). One of the main provisions was that the United States wouldn't interfere with any of the European colonies already in the Americas, but Europe was not to create any more. In exchange, the U.S. would stay out of European affairs (a policy that Washington had already started, but now neutrality was official). At the time, this didn't have a huge impact on the world because the U.S. was not a world power by any means.

The Roosevelt Corollary was added in 1904 by Theodore Roosevelt, stating that the U.S. had the right to interfere with other countries in the Americas to protect its economic interests. The U.S. became a sort of international police force in the Americas because of this.

So no, this had nothing to do with any Franklin. I can only assume you actually meant Theodore Roosevelt, but you mixed him up in your mind with Franklin Delano Roosevelt. They may have the same last name, but they were most definitely very different presidents.

And it doesn't make the U.S. the international police force. It merely states that the U.S. policy is to meddle with Latin America and try to keep the rest of the world from doing the same. Its authority comes not from any sort of consensus but rather from the military power of the U.S.

(whew) Thank you to people for forcing APUSH review...

DeletedUser

did you know the quake moved japan almost 10 ft and tilted the earths axis by a lil more :eek:
2012 is coming!

DeletedUser80269

It also made the day 1.6 microseconds shorter...

and wow druid i cant believe i didnt even finish reading the Franklin thing... i dont see how Franklin would even come close to being part of what he was saying... also coldogg are you 9? because you spelled terrible wrong on the title... its one thing to incorrectly spell something in a post but for the title of the thread...

lordarcadia

This isn't really unheard of especially in a subduction zone.
It happened last year after the Chilean quake, the axis shifted 8cms, the city of Concepción shifted 10ft west and the day was shortened by 1.26 microseconds.

The shortening of the day will sort itself out eventually due to tidal effects of the moon causing lengthening of 15microseconds per year.
As for the movement of countries/cities this is natural. North America has been moving away from Europe for millions of years, Africa is moving up to eventually close the Strait of Gibraltar, India is moving into China. Find a mountain range and it will usually be growing.

It all sounds very shocking but its not really when you think about it, the earth once had a super continent called Pangea until time and movement of tectonic plates pulled it apart...
PangeaAn.gif