Lesson 4 The Newer Gamers

DeletedUser96513

seems some heavy war of words :D

/Interval time

Und3rrat3d serves everyone pop corn and pizza's.

You guys can carry on your flaming now.

DeletedUser96310

Wow!!! This thread has created entirely too much drama. My hope here was to allow those newer gamers to ask for explanations and receive a multitude of answers.

@BH - I don't think anyone with at least 6 months of experience under their belts and is active on the PnP can say they don't recognize your name. The character behind it is and always has been very respectful and intellectual. Usually, when new players start a thread or when experienced players ask a question pertaining to a world you have either been on or are currently playing, you respond with sensible and constructive advice. I've admired your posts since my early gaming.

Your rebuttal here was simply that not everyone should consider clearing their 20 x 20 and not just that, also duke often recruit multiple players within a 20 x 20. Those comments can't and won't be argued. Many, many highly successful tribes have multiple members within 20 x 20 (either began that way or recruited that way). History itself can prove this.

What I think has (a fault of my vague post to start with) caused this topic to go astray is that many have mis-interrupted my original post. My point to the mailer was that within his 20 x 20 there wasn't a decent target. However, sitting directly beside him was a player at 3.018 (something close to that) points. He mailed, saying he was ready to noble and had scouts out to find a decent 1st noble. In his mail he mentioned that the nearest 2K village was a 20 hour noble trip. (Yet, he had a 3K directly beside him.)

As my mail shows, I was shocked that a player of his experience (he manages a 2 mill account on another world) was considering the 20 hour, one way, noble trip and so.. said, to him that I was disappointed that he wasn't nobling the 3K village. (after our mailings, he has said I was right and he should noble the 3k)

but... I think where clarification on my mail is needed is two things:

1. Yes, most aggressive and skilled players don't want to be land locked and are angered when a duke recruits within their 20 x 20. Especially without giving them the courtesy of first asking. Am I against it, no! I have recruited in clusters before and will if I feel it is wise, again.

2. Maybe the most important part of the posted mail that was overlooked is the players integrity and honesty. He responded to me with "The 3K player in question is a PA and has provided me with help, I will not back stab or break my word to him".

- First, that is in my opinion, something that has been lacking in the later worlds. Integrity. I remember starting W8 and had it not been for Uri taking pity on a noob (me) I'd have failed miserably. He however, had integrity and honesty. I survived, learned the game while playing within a group of very skilled players in clorox.

- Secondly, said player admitted he made the PA to save his hide (Well, he didn't deny it) and that was the source of reason for my post. I stated that newer players shouldn't search out PA's when I should have said they shouldn't become a PA without giving it thought and having reason to do so.

Therefore, to correct my original post and to maybe end a needless confused disagreement.

- PA's, yes they have and will continue to have a vital and needed role within every part of the game.
- Newer Players should consider at least two things when pondering if said player is a good PA choice:
(1) is his location to me a threat and does he appear to be hostile? (This usually requires a couple weeks of gaming before one can make a reasonable guess)
(2) is there a reason (a nearby threat) for me to make an agreement that I may regret later?
- Lastly, a very common mistake made when first learning the game is that everyone "new" to the game knows there is strength in numbers. Knowing this, new players send out multiple mails to multiple players asking them to be PA's. My advice would be to simply respond with a "Thank you but at this stage of the game where nobles don't exist around us I think it is too early to make any diplomacy be it personal or tribal"

- It is always good to communicate with your neighbor(s) and to maybe support them "if" you feel there is reason for it. Don't however risk your own chance for survival without just cause. PA's are often needed but should always be chosen wisely.

Sellsword

Thanks for the clarification. Makes more sense now.

I do still think that the guy's integrity (not going back on his word to his PA) shows his quality. Would make him more valuable in my eyes than a bit of sharky attitude (i.e. I see it=I eat it).

Bloodhood

Part of the Furniture
Reaction score
@BH - I don't think anyone with at least 6 months of experience under their belts and is active on the PnP can say they don't recognize your name. The character behind it is and always has been very respectful and intellectual. Usually, when new players start a thread or when experienced players ask a question pertaining to a world you have either been on or are currently playing, you respond with sensible and constructive advice. I've admired your posts since my early gaming.

I see. And thank you; for the record I find you both intelligent and very logical. That post above was very good. Apologies for any thread hijacking :icon_wink: I was very much going to exit the thread with just my bit that sometimes aggressiveness is not always best, until the stage when a spammer decided that I was in fact a fan boy of someone I don't even know. Then the argument followed the usual evolution process.

DeletedUser

wow,this thread has gone haywire >.<

i have to agree with most of the people here;
yes,you can play well while having friends in 20x20,but im sure it will limit,if not your growth,at least your choice of (noble) targets. Also,someone (-Abdullah-,i believe) said that this game is also about scocial stuff.i dont know about you guys,but sometimes,if they (noobs) seem active and friendly,i give hints and tips to them,and help them grow(after i rim them ofc ;) and i am still friends with some of them.just because your fighting each other doesnt mean you cant have fun ;)

also,unless they were taught before hand,i dont think that two noobs could work together,and im speaking from experience here.on one of my early worlds,i had just learned to farm with lc,and being amazed at what they could do,i built around a 4k lc nuke.i also made
a pa with
a guy in my 3x3,for me to take out targets for him,and for him to defend me if necassary.in the end,despite our best efforts i was backtimed and my pa was left with no alternative but to try and attack with his def troops.(im sure you guys can figure out what happened next.)

my point is,even when they are working together,its very easy to defeat noobs.(unless they outnumber you by a lot.)
at leas,thats my experience.

now,skipping ahead four worlds,i attacked every thing i could find (i sent 18+ hours one way trips at any sign of activity,while going solo),trying to get into the top oda rankings.(i did btw :) rank 50 :p)

i ended up getting accepted into a tribe that rose to be #2 in the world around 4-5 months into the game,and eventually became leader of my K.
i leared a lot and made some great friends while there.
i was undefeated,but then i had to quit due to exams.
yes,i was still noobish,but better than before.i learned to dodge,and not defend with my offense :p, amongst other things.basic,obvious things,you might say,but things that nevertheless helped me to be the player i am today :)

this isa positive development,imsure most of you will agree.

you should also consider the fact even if the good players talk to the noobs(some may be too busy or simply not botherd,back then a lot of mymails never got read or answered to ;( )they will usually try to take advantadge of and betray them,you usually cant trust anyone you meet here.(or rl either lol)

so,im my experience(as a noob),it was more worthwhile to have no friends in my 20x20. it would depend on the situation though,but generally, i would advise newer players to be aggrssive and not to trust anyone much.

i agree there are other ways to play,but i doubht a noob will know any of them >.> so unless they are mentored,i believe they should follow waves's advice.

Ps.also sorry if some words are stuck together,my spacebar is broken,and its hard to type.

DeletedUser96513

with over two years of exp, I don't know him:(

feel like banging my head now.

DeletedUser

i've only heard rumors >.>
tbh,i expected you to dominate this world :lol:

DeletedUser

I agree with Waves...
Sometimes PAs can be more trustworthy than your alliance... but if you don't compete with each other you'll both be weaker for it. And if you are not careful your PA's problems can become yours.

On the 5 worlds I have played I have only once had a PA that was good for me throughout my entire career on the world. Most ended in betrayal or crippled us both.

[On W35, I buddied up with a guy (inside my 1stchurch) just around my size because he had a 500k player backing him - so I definitely couldn't conquer him. The agreement being we wouldn't attack or scout each other, but work together against others. We raced each other through points, tribes, and noblements. We were both around 30k when he got recruited by one of the 2 main factions. He refused to attack me and encouraged his tribemates treat me as a NAP, while I used connections I had on the other faction and the neutral parties to help deflect aggression from him. A month later he found out he was about to be betrayed by his alliance (they had a policy of letting smaller players in and having them build lots of nice villages and then steamrolling them) and subsequently quit the game without telling them, but since I kept in close contact I was prepared and ready to take his villages before they could... and also figured out he'd quit before they did allowing me to move first - capturing 3 of his cities within an hour of their turning barb. I wish he would have stayed and joined with me though, I think we could have done much better than I did alone.]