Let's make W85 a nice world

Gorth Kirgar

I disagree. Luck has never had any impact on my startup success. It might mean the difference between rank 1 and rank 3, but if I am active and I want top ranks, I will get them, anywhere.

There's some people that have fluked their way to rank one once due to an awesome area, who can't achieve the same with a mediocre area, but there's also people like myself that have been rank 1 consistently on most worlds they have played for the best part of a decade.

If luck determines my success then I am super freaking lucky as I've been rank 1 on nearly 30 worlds (and unlike others who have played similar numbers of accounts I am not known for taking over other peoples accounts).

Example:

W52 Purple Predator and I started the world three days late, we started in the same 15x15, 5 days later we were rank 1 and 2. It wasn't a case where we both grew slow because of the other one stifling our growth, we both excelled, and grew exponentially faster than anyone else on the world despite being incredibly close to each other.

Let me rephrase then: you can be really unlucky and just have to fight your way back.
I'm in an area now in this world where the A-holeness just snowballed; 2 or 3 started spiking, and 4 or 5 followed. Then a bunch just got all D and the others got the hiding places up to more than the warehouse could hold.
No matter how well you play, you will be far behind on the rest.

Last edited:

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I think, potentially in your case, you might just be too aggressive.

Can't state that with any certainty based on your account this world, but I suspect you've attacked far more active players than I'd have opted to do in your position based on your comments and OD.

Last edited:

Gorth Kirgar

I think, potentially in your case, you might just be too aggressive.

Can't state that with any certainty based on your account this world, but I suspect you've attacked far more active players than I'd have opted to do in your position based on your comments and OD.

Trust me, my ODA hasn't cost me more 10% of my troops. All of those hits were crucial to even get some farming done. I can see it all looks far too aggressive, but even the 100 players attacked was in 70% of the cases a necessity.

But not making excuses....even a crappy situation like this can be turned into something profitable;)

DeletedUser118341

Trust me, my ODA hasn't cost me more 10% of my troops. All of those hits were crucial to even get some farming done. I can see it all looks far too aggressive, but even the 100 players attacked was in 70% of the cases a necessity.

But not making excuses....even a crappy situation like this can be turned into something profitable;)

It matters not how much of your forces you lost. More of whether the return outweighed the cost.

And just as importantly, whether you sending those troops to those players villages detracted from your ability to send those troops to other barbarian or inactive players. And how the profit you received from clearing out those active players, relates to how much you would have gotten from using those troops elsewhere.

Quite simply. Your showing a lack of understanding of early game economics. Yes sure, you can send out your offense to clear everyone in the area, and lose 10% of your forces total. But that does not actually mean it was worth while.

Last edited by a moderator:

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
It was actually this part:

"Then a bunch just got all D and the others got the hiding places up to more than the warehouse could hold."

That made me feel you were playing in unnecessarily aggressive manner more than your OD itself.

I almost never attempt to farm active players. Active players are rarely profitable to farm for a number of reasons, including but not limited to:

1. Militia being called randomly once cleared wiping out your lc farm runs (if you send axes at players and lc at barbs/inactives you can somewhat account for this though).

2. People being cleared and being supported by their tribe unexpectedly, often even after having been farmed numerous times without receiving support lulling you into a false sense of security.

3. People maxing their hiding places once cleared, or simply spending their resources before you attack them as best as they can so as to minimize your potential gains.

4. People feeding your more powerful neighbors with the return times of your attacks so that they can backtime you.

5. Making people around you feel threatened so they focus on making defense rather than growing offense like they may have done had they felt more secure in their surroundings.

As a general rule, I want neighbors that make offense. It's easier to handle players that make offense, even if they're technically more of a threat to me than someone is who only makes defense (the person making defense may be less of a threat to my village, but they're more of a threat to my offensive capabilities, especially should they use that defense as support). As such I do not go out of my way to make my neighbors feel afraid of me. I farm barbs and inactives while letting the active players in my area grow and build up to become noble targets. It's better IMO to attack only when you have the ability to finish someone completely, or at the very least set them back sufficiently enough to stop them from being a threat were they likely to be one.

As an example of the latter, were I to be near someone I expected to have the one of the first academies on a world and who I felt was potentially likely to attempt to go for me as their first target I wouldn't be opposed to catting their smithy to ensure I beat them to academy.

Gorth Kirgar

Come on, Eddie, you really think I didn't outweigh it all?;)

And Nauz, I totally agree.
I've actually attacked only two active players very closeby, who have both turned barb.

"Then a bunch just got all D and the others got the hiding places up to more than the warehouse could hold."
I was referring here to the people making the D to people who ran into spikes too, suddenly opting to use the same tactics.
And the players getting the hiding places up were guys who were totally inactive for days. But they probably saw some messages on their phones showing they were being attacked, and just logged in to to screw with everyone without having to play at all.