Implemented Limit paladin xp from support time

DeletedUser

There's a design oversight with paladin xp from support time. The current system can be easily cheesed in midgame to level-up paladins much faster than intended. This change would prevent that.

Current system

Before we start talking about changing things, we have to understand how the current system works.
ingame help said:
Supporting other players
A paladin can gain experience by personally supporting other players' villages. The amount of experience gained depends on the time spent supporting, the total amount of your own troops at the supported village, and the amount of attacking troops defeated there. Experience is granted on a daily basis, when your paladin battles, and when the amount of your support changes. Your paladin will not gain any experience by defending against your own attacks.

There's two main parts to this:
1) xp reward for killing attacking troops. Dependent on the strength of the attackers killed, and how much of the defense came from you. This isn't the problematic part.
2) xp reward for stationing your troops in someone else's village in case they get attacked. Dependent on the defensive value of your support and how long it stays there. This is the part we'll be looking at.

The formula for #2 looks something like this:
Code:
xpGain = balancingFactor * ownSupportValue * timeElapsed

The graph for xpGain within a constant timeElapsed looks like this:
xp-current.png

And the way to cheese the system is simple: Send an absurd amount of support to a single village, chuck your paladins in there, and wait a day or two. Tada! All maxed out at lvl 30.

I did this about a month into world 109. Granted there's a whole bunch of other broken stuff involved, but if we take that out of the picture, it's still cheesable. "midgame" just arrives a little later.

What to change

Put a limit on ownSupportValue. It's reasonable to prestack a single village with maybe 30k spear/sword. But 200k/200k... not so much. Of course there are reasons, but mostly late/endgame related.

The formula would look something like this:
Code:
xpGain = balancingFactor * diminish(ownSupportValue) * timeElapsed
where "diminish" is a balanceable function with a horizontal asymptote at the hardcap

The graph for xpGain within a constant timeElapsed would look like this:
xp-soft-capped.png

This is probably more of something for a game designer to consider, than to have players vote on. I'd be shocked if anyone was excited about getting slowed down :p

JawJaw

Awesomest CM Ever
Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks, I agree with you - I've forwarded it immediately. DS-19521

JawJaw

Awesomest CM Ever
Reaction score
This issue is resolved in 8.195