Making your Mark

DeletedUser

I am figuring this topic probably should be moved however I will paste it here and let the Mods decide..

I read a statement by Reaper today and I was just wondering why does ones tribe have to make a mark to be good or great.. What are we gauging as making ones mark..

A tribe can quietly attain a top 5 status not speak in the open forums and rise slowly. Without ever having to truly wage a battle of epic proportions. Would this make them a bad tribe because they made no mark.. I am trying to see what you all consider making a mark or a significant contribution as I have also seen posted as a weigh to measure a tribe.. This is not in reference of my tribe I am asking this genuinely. Just to see what we hold as important for weighing a tribe..

Michael Wittman

All down to perception and to you, the way you see it is most important. Don't listen to reaper, he just got picked on too much growing up or something. It is what it is to you. Any tribe is a reflection of its members. There are so many ways your tribe or my tribe could have made marks throughout tw history that it will just come down to the ones who are most insistent on forcing through what is accepted as making your mark. All to make themselves feel more intelligent, more important and a host of other things they would like to sell you.

Have fun, treat your friends well and you will make your mark for yourself and that is what's most important

DeletedUser

For me personally I feel a tribe that fought it's way to top 5 will leave more of a mark then one in which all they did was grow on the scraps of the world.

Of course the last tribe standing will leave a mark regardless of how they got there.

DeletedUser

I am figuring this topic probably should be moved however I will paste it here and let the Mods decide..

I read a statement by Reaper today and I was just wondering why does ones tribe have to make a mark to be good or great.. What are we gauging as making ones mark..

yeah he said this to me. i feel as tho tribes dont have to we are great in our own way. just because some tribes in the south havnt heard of north tribes doesnt mean they havent impacted other people and tribes.

DeletedUser

Depends on what kind of mark you are going for. I'd argue that BBS for example left a mark as an insanely incompetent warorganiser, forumspeaker and diplomat. Quite a few of those that make a mark - aka: are remembered - do so by negative attention: they'll badmouth, they'll make a fool of themselves, they'll take positions they know to be wrong ... but it does work: they are remembered. Then there are those who try to make a mark by positive attention: they're simply kickass tribesmates/tribes which are valued by their friends and often also their adversaries.

In sum: making a mark means - more often then not - standing out either in a good or a bad way, at least in my opinion.

DeletedUser

Depends on what kind of mark you are going for. I'd argue that BBS for example left a mark as an insanely incompetent warorganiser, forumspeaker and diplomat. Quite a few of those that make a mark - aka: are remembered - do so by negative attention: they'll badmouth, they'll make a fool of themselves, they'll take positions they know to be wrong ... but it does work: they are remembered. Then there are those who try to make a mark by positive attention: they're simply kickass tribesmates/tribes which are valued by their friends and often also their adversaries.

In sum: making a mark means - more often then not - standing out either in a good or a bad way, at least in my opinion.

I agree entirely with Badlap, and as an addendum to what he wrote, I would ask the question of the subject, "whom are you trying to mark?"

If the goal is to a leave a mark on the world, being recognized is essential. Even while one can easily argue everyone has an impact to some degree, to leave a mark has generally meant in my eyes to leave a lasting impression on the collective memory of the world. But a tribe doesn't have to be acknowledged world wide to leave an impression on its members, and recognition is certainly not needed for one to be proud of what one's tribe has accomplished.

For example: MF may not have left a significant mark on the memories of the mass public, but it has earned a place of respect for most of those that have dealt with the tribe directly, and that, by its own rights, can be considered making a mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

People are very obsessed with leaving some form of a legacy. Perhaps the reality is that once we are gone, and we cease to exist, we are forgotten. Although our elements will be constantly passed through cycles, people try to leave their 'mark' as some sort of continuation of their life on Earth. The Internet is the most effective utility at leaving a legacy, it could be that we leave colloquial vocabulary on the urban dictionary which becomes widespread or just the sheer fact that the Internet will store our words for thousands of years. As media changes, so does the strategy that we leave our mark. The printing press provided revolutionaries to spread their word, the Internet is used by protesters to organise themselves and grow on facebook.

Although it might be a subconscious action, most of the actions we take are not designed to impact exclusively on ourselves, but on others. This is, in my view all strategies to create a legacy. Give for example the disbandment of TARDIS (even though it's become slightly cliche now). SFC has certainly left his legacy with us. Dispite the fact he claims he did it solely for his tribe, it clearly was not the main purpose. His first action was to reveal himself and what he had done. He knew that it would not attract positive attention from most, but it would still attract attention. And he left one hell of a mark.

So it seems to me that we are not obsessed with leaving a mark, but with life after death. Perhaps we have evolved to believe in a continuation of our life after our death, because those that don't realise that life is a lonely, meaningless place, which would raise rates of suicide, supporting Darwin's theory of natural selection.

The above was not written with the intention to confuse you, so don't hurt me.

DeletedUser

Ultimately this game is about enjoying yourself, whether that is through doing particularly well or not is up to you. Not every player and every tribe will be a dominant force in a world. The reason I brought this up in the first place was due to the implication of a current W30 player that they were more successful and important on W30 than a former tribe here. This is not the case, hence the "making your mark" argument, THE and BD for instance both had a huge impact on this world and will be considered more successful than most of the tribes that live out the year.

@Wittless, that is a very careless statement, bullying is a very real issue in almost all societies across the world, I know you do not realise the implications of your words, using this line in such an offhand way only takes away from the severity of bullying, and in fact glorifies the ones doing the "picking on" and paints the one being "picked on" in a negative light. Fortunately I was not picked on as a kid, however there are many who are.

So it seems to me that we are not obsessed with leaving a mark, but with life after death. Perhaps we have evolved to believe in a continuation of our life after our death, because those that don't realise that life is a lonely, meaningless place, which would raise rates of suicide, supporting Darwin's theory of natural selection.

I have to disagree with this part. The realisation that life/consciousness of any sort ceases at death (assuming it is fact for arguments sake) does not make life any more lonely or meaningless. The evolution of life from its origin (whatever that may have been) is astounding, the fact that we are all here as individuals is even more so. "Meaning" is a very strange concept, however I suppose it is safe to say our "meaning" is simply to pass on our genes and continue our genetic line for as long as possible.

DeletedUser71844

People are very obsessed with leaving some form of a legacy. Perhaps the reality is that once we are gone, and we cease to exist, we are forgotten. Although our elements will be constantly passed through cycles, people try to leave their 'mark' as some sort of continuation of their life on Earth. The Internet is the most effective utility at leaving a legacy, it could be that we leave colloquial vocabulary on the urban dictionary which becomes widespread or just the sheer fact that the Internet will store our words for thousands of years. As media changes, so does the strategy that we leave our mark. The printing press provided revolutionaries to spread their word, the Internet is used by protesters to organise themselves and grow on facebook.

Although it might be a subconscious action, most of the actions we take are not designed to impact exclusively on ourselves, but on others. This is, in my view all strategies to create a legacy. Give for example the disbandment of TARDIS (even though it's become slightly cliche now). SFC has certainly left his legacy with us. Dispite the fact he claims he did it solely for his tribe, it clearly was not the main purpose. His first action was to reveal himself and what he had done. He knew that it would not attract positive attention from most, but it would still attract attention. And he left one hell of a mark.

The above was not written with the intention to confuse you, so don't hurt me.

Couldn't have said it better myself. There's nothing I can say that you haven't already said.
We all want to be remembered. Some of us will even stoop to unholy lows to create a legacy.

DeletedUser

I have to disagree with this part. The realisation that life/consciousness of any sort ceases at death (assuming it is fact for arguments sake) does not make life any more lonely or meaningless. The evolution of life from its origin (whatever that may have been) is astounding, the fact that we are all here as individuals is even more so. "Meaning" is a very strange concept, however I suppose it is safe to say our "meaning" is simply to pass on our genes and continue our genetic line for as long as possible.

I'll start with the bolded part and also by saying what I state doesnt make me wrong or you right nor vice versa - just offering something for consideration.

I think the passing on of genes could be more considered the purpose of life rather than its meaning. I believe the "meaning of life" can only ever have a subjective answer which of course might be different for eveyone. I base this on the fact that as humans we cannot agree on anything and therefore no unifying ultimate consensus on anything (including the meaning of life) can ever be known except in a subjective capacity.

I think that Ecool has a point in stating that the realisation of life/consciousness can make life more lonely and/or apparently meaningless. You can extrapolate that the invention of religion and gods was one way in which humans through early lack of understanding of the universe sought to fulfil a void. The idea that there was a meaning was necessary to them.

In the last century the discoveries we have made discount the need for the existence of gods to give meaning to our lives and tell us that the unfortunate reality is that we are an accident at best. That can be quite a lonely concept because humans, despite the fact that we feel free and individual, we like prescribed direction. However, what we know is that the uiverse is insanely massive and we are a minute blip on the radar that might never be remembered and quite easily forgotten in the sands of time. Getting off this rock and stepping on the moon gives hope, but getting out of this solar system and going beyond is unlikely to happen from the research I have done. It is more likely we end up wiping each other out and have all eveidence of our exitence washed away from the universe completely when our sun goes supernova or when Andromeda impacts with our galaxy.

However, the people lost in these thoughts of pointlessness forget that the dash is all that matters. At the end of your life you will have something saying 1977-2010 for example and all that matters is what you did in that dash which sums up all you have done. Everything will ultimately die be forgotten including the universe itself so the best you can hope for is to love the music, poetry, theatre, architcture, dance and everything else that interests you that you and your fellow man have accomplished while you get the chance. Dwelling on something you cannot ever affect is a pointless and lonely endeavour especially when there are so many other worthwhile ways to spend your time.

DeletedUser71844

Agreed, Chris, Parm.

Gah all these niceties are making me feel human... I need to go kill something. An innocent animal perhaps?

Yeah I like to play God.

Can we get an in-depth explanation of how psycho killers have this very problem and try to leave their mark on the world by brutally killing people and leaving their mark via the body?

KarmaX

Each member of W30 has their own ways and style to leave a mark, but in reality everything will fade away, only memory will be there in our hearts. To me, both allies and foes that came along the way will leave a mark, but I'm hoping to leave my mark too in the hall of fame of W30 by conquering it :icon_twisted:

DeletedUser

Good post Parm. I had not read the same research about the purpose of religion, but I had thought of the explanation myself. I quite like to sit and think. I should start writing my thoughts down. Human behavior is a field that fascinates me.

Everything will ultimately die be forgotten including the universe itself.

The idea that our universe will collapse is disputed. Pulling a graph from Wikipedia:

Friedmann_universes.svg

As you can see, the future of our universe is determined by the matter density ΩM and the dark energy density ΩΛ. The open universe theory, which is where Ω<1, it suggests that the universe will continue expanding in a hyperbolic curve, and not collapse. This theory is the only one supported by evidence as the expansion rate of the universe has been increasing. But that also means that the universe will become void of life as it becomes too large.... but it will still exist! :p

However, you are right, technology to travel to another planet far away is far from becoming a reality. And it is unlikely that any legacy we leave will be permanent. My ethos is to enjoy my life, the chemicals secreted by our bodies to make us happy are the only think that makes life worth living.

Last edited by a moderator: