Making your Mark

DeletedUser79042

technology to travel to another planet far away is far from becoming a reality.

Not really electro. If we ever get to define "far", maybe it is not... We did go to the moon 40 years ago, remember? J. Verns visionised this, about 100 years before this would actually become true. How "far" was this for him back then?

And to put this thinking in TW "orbit" :icon_wink: :

I oftenly wonder how "far" is W30 to be able to announce a winner tribe?
W1 has none yet, same for many other worlds. Maybe we will be here for this "far" ride, maybe not. Who knows...

KarmaX

I think W30 will end lot faster than W1. Robot has all the new technology and nukes, while we RAM are still using axes, RAM, Cats and cavalry :(

DeletedUser

Not really electro. If we ever get to define "far", maybe it is not... We did go to the moon 40 years ago, remember? J. Verns visionised this, about 100 years before this would actually become true. How "far" was this for him back then?

Traveling to a satellite 380'000 km away, and an Earth like planet to evacuate to in another solar system, is two incomparable achievements. We are a victim of our own success in the fact that we are so well adapted to Earth, that a planet we could live on would have to not only be the right temperature for water to exist, but also the right mass, time of rotation, gas proportions and many other characteristics all need to be similar to Earth. Although there are billions of planets we could live on in the universe, the universe is a very large place.

And to put this thinking in TW "orbit" :icon_wink: :

Oh very witty! :icon_wink:

I oftenly wonder how "far" is W30 to be able to announce a winner tribe?
W1 has none yet, same for many other worlds. Maybe we will be here for this "far" ride, maybe not. Who knows...

Before the Earth is destroyed by the Sun... hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The idea that our universe will collapse is disputed.

I did not mean to imply that the universe would collapse. On the contrary Dark Energy appears to be pushing it faster apart when viewed from our position in the universe. Given the universe appears infinite (or as close as makes no difference) and expanding, it stands to reason for me at least that when you place a finite amount of mass and energy forever expanding in an infinite space - it eventually will all dissipate so far apart that existence of matter and energy is so far apart there is simply nothing. :)

I am liking this thread! I'll try soon to make a post on topic in relation to leaving a mark.

DeletedUser

I'll start with the bolded part and also by saying what I state doesnt make me wrong or you right nor vice versa - just offering something for consideration.

Personally I do not see a large distinction between a purpose and meaning for living, both are intertwined. The only way there can be a distinction is if there is a higher being (for lack of a better term) that created us, in that instance their purpose would be our "meaning". That is my interpretation on the meaning of life anyhow.

In the last century the discoveries we have made discount the need for the existence of gods to give meaning to our lives and tell us that the unfortunate reality is that we are an accident at best. That can be quite a lonely concept because humans, despite the fact that we feel free and individual, we like prescribed direction. However, what we know is that the uiverse is insanely massive and we are a minute blip on the radar that might never be remembered and quite easily forgotten in the sands of time. Getting off this rock and stepping on the moon gives hope, but getting out of this solar system and going beyond is unlikely to happen from the research I have done. It is more likely we end up wiping each other out and have all eveidence of our exitence washed away from the universe completely when our sun goes supernova or when Andromeda impacts with our galaxy.

I'm unsure that this is the reason for human exploration. Many people have an innate thirst for knowledge of the unknown, we are now seeking legitimate evidence based explanations to these unknown quantities, travelling to the moon was a natural step, as is travelling further from our planet.

Traveling to a satellite 380'000 km away, and an Earth like planet to evacuate to in another solar system, is two incomparable achievements. We are a victim of our own success in the fact that we are so well adapted to Earth, that a planet we could live on would have to not only be the right temperature for water to exist, but also the right mass, time of rotation, gas proportions and many other characteristics all need to be similar to Earth. Although there are billions of planets we could live on in the universe, the universe is a very large place.

Again, I must disagree. :)

These two achievements are most certainly comparable, clearly travelling to a distant Earth like planet is much more difficult than travelling to the moon, however they can be compared.

Fortunately we are a very adaptable species, moreso than any species this Earth has seen (that we have knowledge of). A planet would not necessarily need to fit all of these parameters in order for humans to exist there, the technology we have at our disposal now and into the future would allow us to live on a wide variety of planets. While humans could not be self sufficient on Mars, it is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that we inhabit the planet in the near future.

I did not mean to imply that the universe would collapse. On the contrary Dark Energy appears to be pushing it faster apart when viewed from our position in the universe. Given the universe appears infinite (or as close as makes no difference) and expanding, it stands to reason for me at least that when you place a finite amount of mass and energy forever expanding in an infinite space - it eventually will all dissipate so far apart that existence of matter and energy is so far apart there is simply nothing. :)

I am liking this thread! I'll try soon to make a post on topic in relation to leaving a mark.

The ultimate fate of the universe is at this point in time unknown and any theories are essentially speculation with very little evidence. What constitutes the universe itself is not fully agreed upon, with many believing the universe is creating the space it expands into as it expands, rather than expanding into space that is already there. So there is not an infinite space as such, there will only be infinite space if the universe continues to expand, which it appears it will. However the basis of what you're saying is certainly a valid theory, while it does sound a depressing idea, the reality of this is so far in the future it is incomprehensible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Wittman

or its all an illusion and we are all just points of view in the fabric of consiousness :p

DeletedUser

I did not mean to imply that the universe would collapse. On the contrary Dark Energy appears to be pushing it faster apart when viewed from our position in the universe. Given the universe appears infinite (or as close as makes no difference) and expanding, it stands to reason for me at least that when you place a finite amount of mass and energy forever expanding in an infinite space - it eventually will all dissipate so far apart that existence of matter and energy is so far apart there is simply nothing. :).

The universe is expanding in an infinite space but there is a finite amount of space within the universe, allowing matter to exist, no matter how far apart, in my opinion at least. As the universe becomes larger, mean pressure decreases, in turn decreasing temperature according to Kelvin's law of thermodynamics, until the universe reaches temperatures very close to absolute zero. This the most accepted theory, called "the big freeze".

The reason why there will always be a finite amount of space is because the nature of an Hyperbolic curve which I believe is a type of exponential curve. Infinity in its definition is a quantity without bounds. Infinity in physics is actually an error, called mathematical singularity, as physicists believe that infinity can not exist as a physical value, since physics only deals with continuous and discrete variables. Yet it is used to in equations for the theory of relativity and at explaining black holes, but that is proof that the theories are not completely correct.

DeletedUser

Personally I do not see a large distinction between a purpose and meaning for living, both are intertwined. The only way there can be a distinction is if there is a higher being (for lack of a better term) that created us, in that instance their purpose would be our "meaning". That is my interpretation on the meaning of life anyhow.

Meaning, in existentialism, is the value of life. What Parm and I are trying to say, is that realising that all our actions, everything we've given a value to including ourselves, will be forgotten and will never attain any value again, is to me a very dark thought.

Again, I must disagree. :)

These two achievements are most certainly comparable, clearly travelling to a distant Earth like planet is much more difficult than travelling to the moon, however they can be compared.

Some of us are optimists others are sceptists, we all think we are realists.

Fortunately we are a very adaptable species, moreso than any species this Earth has seen (that we have knowledge of). A planet would not necessarily need to fit all of these parameters in order for humans to exist there, the technology we have at our disposal now and into the future would allow us to live on a wide variety of planets. While humans could not be self sufficient on Mars, it is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that we inhabit the planet in the near future.

Wrong, we are one of the least adaptable species. We cannot adapt ourselves, instead we adapt the environment we live in. If anyone has a chance of making it off this planet, it would be bacteria and other microorganisms. For instance, we can't survive without gravity for more than a few months, so how are we going to make a 200 year journey across space?

DeletedUser

Wrong, we are one of the least adaptable species. We cannot adapt ourselves, instead we adapt the environment we live in. If anyone has a chance of making it off this planet, it would be bacteria and other microorganisms. For instance, we can't survive without gravity for more than a few months, so how are we going to make a 200 year journey across space?

Many species alter their environment as a form of adaptation, adaptability is not simply the diversity of environment that can be inhabited, or the ability to alter oneself to survive in an environment. I for one cannot think of a single species besides homo sapiens that have the ability to live on the moon. I assume you mean without the Earth's gravity, any spaceship travelled on has a gravitational pull, as do the people themselves. The effects of gravity can be simulated, this is not the biggest issue concerning deep space journeys.

DeletedUser79042

This is a really good thread!
I like to sum up with one of my favourite mottos : "The sky is the limit", but there can be many definitions of what "sky" is and whether there is a limit to the unlimited...
I personally liked "Avatar", especially for the concept of long range space travel with the scope of obtaining resources... Who knows, maybe in 100 years some of this may come true. Maybe only by robots... :)

robot aus :xmas cool:

DeletedUser

A thread with no flaming, insulting or bashing. Im impressed. If you are attempting to establish a legacy for personal recognition, then you arent fooling anyone but yourself. A legacy forms with genuine effort, without asking for or expecting recognition. Being the best at anything in a game doesnt mean a legacy will form. Those who think so are confusing legacy with an ego.

DeletedUser

Each member of W30 has their own ways and style to leave a mark, but in reality everything will fade away, only memory will be there in our hearts. To me, both allies and foes that came along the way will leave a mark, but I'm hoping to leave my mark too in the hall of fame of W30 by conquering it :icon_twisted:

Theres the ego. Contrary to your belief, you are not the only member of RAM or DRIFT. Any legacy of those 2 tribes will be earned by each and every player and not just a leader. If you noticed, no one else has commented your post. And you being the Duke of RAM and DRIFT, I should have known better than to think anything positive would have been spoken by you. If your goal is to leave a legacy, then change goals, because all you have is a reputation. Im not speaking for the entire tribe, this is my unbiased opportunity to vent. A tribe has more than just A leader. A tribe is a group of players with common goals equally shared. Shared without prejudice. Without selfishness. Without trying to obtain self glorification and recognition. Sure every tribe has a goal, every tribe would want to be the last one standing at the close of world 30. You have an inept ability to lead. But you also have an incompetent ability to lead. An NO I am in no ways insinuating that I could do a better job. Leading RAM and DRIFT into an all out world war is not the way to conquer it. This is a war game, but to win, you have to gain respect, recognition and trust by both your tribemates and your enemy. The enemies recognition and respect come into play just as important as the tribemates. I know what RAM and DRIFT are capable of, I know what Phoenx is capable of. I havent faced BH nor DECIDE yet thru attacks but Im sure that day is forthcoming. Dont consider this an insult. Just constructive criticism. In order to be a leader, you need to set examples. You cant be self centered, selfish or ride an ego into oblivion. Im not the only one who shares this opinion. My male anatomy just happens to be big enough to voice it publicly.

DeletedUser65940

Theres the ego. Contrary to your belief, you are not the only member of RAM or DRIFT. Any legacy of those 2 tribes will be earned by each and every player and not just a leader. If you noticed, no one else has commented your post. And you being the Duke of RAM and DRIFT, I should have known better than to think anything positive would have been spoken by you. If your goal is to leave a legacy, then change goals, because all you have is a reputation. Im not speaking for the entire tribe, this is my unbiased opportunity to vent. A tribe has more than just A leader. A tribe is a group of players with common goals equally shared. Shared without prejudice. Without selfishness. Without trying to obtain self glorification and recognition. Sure every tribe has a goal, every tribe would want to be the last one standing at the close of world 30. You have an inept ability to lead. But you also have an incompetent ability to lead. An NO I am in no ways insinuating that I could do a better job. Leading RAM and DRIFT into an all out world war is not the way to conquer it. This is a war game, but to win, you have to gain respect, recognition and trust by both your tribemates and your enemy. The enemies recognition and respect come into play just as important as the tribemates. I know what RAM and DRIFT are capable of, I know what Phoenx is capable of. I havent faced BH nor DECIDE yet thru attacks but Im sure that day is forthcoming. Dont consider this an insult. Just constructive criticism. In order to be a leader, you need to set examples. You cant be self centered, selfish or ride an ego into oblivion. Im not the only one who shares this opinion. My male anatomy just happens to be big enough to voice it publicly.

Wooo art!! I love you man.

Why do you think I left?? I'm sick of his selfish, prejudice etc etc.

KarmaX

Your criticism is good but that was just a plain view from me. Was not for the tribe. This was a personal view thread so I posted mine. Yours might be different.

DeletedUser79042

Why do you think I left?? I'm sick of his selfish, prejudice etc etc.

Get back piloting ! We want you even as an opponent in the future ! :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

My opinion was based on my personal view. RAM and DRIFT as well as other tribes have very skilled and determinated players. It was in no way shape or form meant as a negative remark, but it was something I felt at the time of my writing it, that needed to be aired out. Karmax and Wittman I consider friends, just as much so as every player in the RAM family. I consider those with whom I communicate with in the PnP friends as well. Some may be enemies in game, but thats the fun part of it. as I stated earlier, respect ans recognition go along way. Not just in tribal wars, but out in the real world as well.

Michael Wittman

Rhcp I think you missed arts point. Art correct me if I am wrong. I think art is saying tribe and friends come before ego and he is offering constructive criticism to try to help his tribe. I think what you did was to choose your ego over tribe. I feel you are just as guilty and I feel more guilty than karmax for the situation. Karmax isn't the one leaving his tribe and I don't think art is saying choose ego over tribe.

I also want to understand your side red and I think I do some of it. I think a lot of ram players just felt that you and some friends were possibly more loyal to the old escape tribe than to the new ram tribe. I think that is why you got such a hard time for your views.

On topic, we sure have made our mark on eachother :p

KarmaX

My opinion was based on my personal view. RAM and DRIFT as well as other tribes have very skilled and determinated players. It was in no way shape or form meant as a negative remark, but it was something I felt at the time of my writing it, that needed to be aired out. Karmax and Wittman I consider friends, just as much so as every player in the RAM family. I consider those with whom I communicate with in the PnP friends as well. Some may be enemies in game, but thats the fun part of it. as I stated earlier, respect ans recognition go along way. Not just in tribal wars, but out in the real world as well.

Personally I think Art has made a permanent mark in my life. We even have our numbers exchanged and art sends hillarious texts to me :p

DeletedUser

If anyone was curious to know what the internal RAM forums are like... there you have it. :icon_rolleyes:

I'm frankly sick of Karma's leadership, and so I will be leaving my co player Steve until either the leadership changes or he decides to leave himself, or has to because RAM is falling apart.

I'll still be around in the external forums. :)