Mentoring System

DeletedUser104306

I am sure there is some kind of explanation of who gets picked to be considered a mentor and why, but I just can't tell what the system is based on. For this server in particular, my account has been around for almost 7 years. Does it look at previous world experience? If that is the case then what in previous worlds IS it looking at?

Just semi curious about how it all works and wouldn't mind a thorough explanation or an educated guess whether it be from a player or mods.

DeletedUser

Previous world experience is considered. There are a number of factors that are considered when allocating mentors, some of which include:
A mentor should have had at least 5 villages on a previous world.(within a certain timeframe)
They shouldn't recently have had a period of inactivity of over 6 months.
Previous negative ratings from apprentices can lead to exclusion.

If you think your account should qualify as being a mentor, feel free to send in a
ticket with your reasoning and we will look into it. :)

Upvote 0

BGeorge3

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
Previous world experience is considered. There are a number of factors that are considered when allocating mentors, some of which include:
A mentor should have had at least 5 villages on a previous world.(within a certain timeframe)
They shouldn't recently have had a period of inactivity of over 6 months.
Previous negative ratings from apprentices can lead to exclusion.

If you think your account should qualify as being a mentor, feel free to send in a
ticket with your reasoning and we will look into it. :)
How is experienced defined? A player could noble 5 barbs on a world where they play for 4 months, then quit, which would qualify them to be a mentor. I'd say the village limit should be increased to higher number. At least 500 villages, that way you're not allowing people that don't play for very long to be mentors. It'd be nice if the ability to be a mentor could actually be decided based on actual skill in the game and not the size of the account since points/villages don't really mean too much.

Upvote 0

DeletedUser

How is experienced defined? A player could noble 5 barbs on a world where they play for 4 months, then quit, which would qualify them to be a mentor. I'd say the village limit should be increased to higher number. At least 500 villages, that way you're not allowing people that don't play for very long to be mentors. It'd be nice if the ability to be a mentor could actually be decided based on actual skill in the game and not the size of the account since points/villages don't really mean too much.

It's very difficult to determine 'good experience' and skill is subjective. There wouldn't be many mentors available on worlds if the criteria was 500 villages.
Once someone has 5 villages, they should have enough experience of the game in order to lead an apprentice towards nobling.
It's impossible to decide based on 'skill' as what constitutes skill is debatable and not trackable in-game. The fact someone has reached 5 villages, is active and is willing to volunteer their time to help others would hopefully encourage a newer player to develop further.

Upvote 0

DeletedUser117702

When artificial intelligence is integrated into tw maybe then they could allocate apprentices based on in game skill, something tells me that's not going to happen :icon_biggrin:

I don't think people with 500 villages+ experience should only be mentors, a lot of great players find mid/late-game tedious and quit.

Upvote 0

BGeorge3

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
@Aliyah

Agreed, "experience" is difficult to define, as is skill. I suggested 500 villages as an example because at different levels of account size, the gameplay is different. Having 5, 500, or 5000 villages consists of different gameplay, a different type of experience and perspective. Yes, I know "skill" would be un-trackable in-game, which is why I said, "It'd be nice if....could...". Yeah, I can agree to the last statement. Hopefully helping the smaller players does encourage the player to grow and continue to play. We certainly need a new stream of players on this server. For far too long the player count has been going down, and the same players keep winning. It'd be awesome to see a tribe full of new players beating the older players.

@Gangnamstein

Yeah, I agree, I don't see AI being integrated into Tribal Wars. Even if Inno could, I doubt they'd do it because the benefits would not outweigh the cost to implement it.
You mentioned players that find mid/late game tedious and quit. They have limited experience as to how end-game goes. Regarding players that only play startup. They have limited experience. If they only play startup, then they can't give sound advice on long-term plans.

Extra:

If the mentoring system's only goal is to get players to 5 villages. I really am making this a bigger deal than need be. :D

Upvote 0

DeletedUser117702

No, you're mistaken. The mentoring system has been implemented to teach new players the basics in the hope they stick around and splash some cash.

You'll find a lot of new users are quite keen to learn and appreciate the mentoring system, they actually learn from it, which does ofc give them a better shot at the game.

Late-game is not much different from mid-game, once they've learned the basics on how to use troops they'll just be doing the same on a larger scale and if they make it that far they should also learn a lot from their tribe.

Upvote 0

DeletedUser

It's a more than a little borked... with an account that's 4 years old that's been fairly successful, TW thinks I need a mentor, and they are suggesting a player that currently has half my points. When I look them up, I have to go all the way back to W68, when they had 45 conquers, all barbs. Their next best world, they made it to 2500 points. I am not sure what TW thinks I can learn from this person?

Upvote 0

Asylum Escapee

Yeah, It offered me some inactive guy. Maybe make sure the suggested mentor is actually playing. I also wasn't sure why I wasn't given the opportunity to be a mentor, this account is 6 years old and I'm sure its been to 500k at least a few times

Upvote 0

DeletedUser

Hi guys, I just came back to TW after about 2-3 years or so (So not sure about the 6 month inactivity rule) and it has recommended me as a mentor. I was wondering is there any benefit to being a mentor? Or is it just the satisfaction of helping out the newer players?

Upvote 0

DeletedUser

They get an achievement that has your name in it, now that's some honour you get from mentoring

Upvote 0

DeletedUser

Fresh from graduating from the program (yeah, I gave in and got a mentor)... I can offer the following review.

What a racket

I got resource bonuses for completing tasks... like 1k of each for building a Smithy 20, and the same for my Academy. Now I'm sorry I didn't take advantage of these free resources from day 1.

Upvote 0