new discussion,

darkaniken2

I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but our school never even taught us about condoms and the pill and whatnot. They had a kindasorta sex-ed class, but it's been so long, I can't remember what it taught exactly. So obviously doesn't leave a very good impression.

As far as media goes, I'm inclined to agree. However, I'd have to say that sex is not only promoted and advertised, it's actually encouraged. It's become the social norm. I'm the odd teen out at the table when talking about sex, as I'm one of the few that hasn't "done it". I don't know if it's American, Western, or global society that is causing it, but sex is become something that has no meaning, because everyone does it. It's become like breathing, or eating. It just is.

DeletedUser

I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but our school never even taught us about condoms and the pill and whatnot. They had a kindasorta sex-ed class, but it's been so long, I can't remember what it taught exactly. So obviously doesn't leave a very good impression.

As far as media goes, I'm inclined to agree. However, I'd have to say that sex is not only promoted and advertised, it's actually encouraged. It's become the social norm. I'm the odd teen out at the table when talking about sex, as I'm one of the few that hasn't "done it". I don't know if it's American, Western, or global society that is causing it, but sex is become something that has no meaning, because everyone does it. It's become like breathing, or eating. It just is.

Oh we did here, and one of the main measures I applaud is that teens can get free condoms - just you have to get a 'C Card' and tick boxes and such which I really am not prepared to do :icon_neutral:

DeletedUser

I live in England, where the legal age is 16. I think this is appropriate. I wouldn't go any lower but I don't think it's necessary to go higher. But I really don't think the legal age is respected by teenagers (even I'm guilty of that :icon_redface:)

That's more or less a problem here. To a lesser extent as I go to a middle-upper class Private School, but still, the problem cannot be possibly completely eradicated. I certainly semi-expect that the lower down you get social class wise, the more likely people are going to do things like this. (Enter: Kill several birds with one stone - often people taking drugs/drinking have sex as well).

The whole trend about going off and losing one's virginity underage is like a tribe where you can only be in it for a certain amount of time. As long as one person is in the tribe, they are bound to try and get more to 'join' their whole 'its kewl to lose ur virginity at 13'.

Oh we did here, and one of the main measures I applaud is that teens can get free condoms - just you have to get a 'C Card' and tick boxes and such which I really am not prepared to do :icon_neutral:

Failed initiative there. It would work in theory if every teen turning 16 was mailed a card which expired upon turning 21 or something, but if you have to do all these 'tick boxes' thing and register, I'd rather not.

DeletedUser

Failed initiative there. It would work in theory if every teen turning 16 was mailed a card which expired upon turning 21 or something, but if you have to do all these 'tick boxes' thing and register, I'd rather not.

I think the issue is with the attitude on adults discussing sex with children and teens - it's an avoided subject (despite the presence of it everywhere).

You have to go talk to an adult about your private sex life... something you're probably fine chatting about with others your age... but you've got no experience talking to adults about it, because it's somewhat taboo.

DeletedUser

I think the issue is with the attitude on adults discussing sex with children and teens - it's an avoided subject (despite the presence of it everywhere).

You have to go talk to an adult about your private sex life... something you're probably fine chatting about with others your age... but you've got no experience talking to adults about it, because it's somewhat taboo.

I agree, though that being said, many adults are relatively uninformed on the social norms these days and the 'rapid' evolution of society. Maybe its just my parents being 55 years old, but ultimately its taboo as it was taboo for them in their days, but not now. Unfortunately, some parents may 'spaz' at their child for having sex, thus it basically becomes something which can't be talked about, and so begins the problem.