New Unit: Messenger

Integritous

Hey everyone,

So I was sitting around waiting to send off some attacks recently, and I had a sort of revelation about what I thought might be a pretty cool new unit. I thought you could give me your opinion on whether you think something like this might be cool:

The Messenger. Traveling at 6 minutes per square like the merchant class, Messengers carry orders from one city to another.

If a messenger is dispatched from the same village as another attack/support command, and sent to the same target village as the previous command, it can carry a new destination village order from the home village. If the messenger can overtake the previous attack/support prior to its landfall at the target village, the messenger and the attack/support it intercepted will proceed directly to the new target.

Messengers can be seen as incoming like other units, and once an attack/support group is intercepted and redirected, it must proceed to that village without chance for subsequent intercept. Only messengers sent from and to the same village as a previous attack/support command will be able to intercept and redirect the attack.

So, what do you think? :)

DeletedUser

I think I didn't understand anything, but that us just me...

DeletedUser43243

If i get this as meant by Inty i kinda think it is weird but cool at the same time! But i gotta ask if the interception is before or after the attack actually lands or if you stop the initial attack and send it on to a 2nd?

Nocnoidozor

I think he meant before the attack ,but you can make it both ways ...

Is this unit made for the purpose if you make mistake and dont see it in time ?

DeletedUser33413

that would make things rather interesting.

Also it would make identifying target vills and organising defence very difficult indeed.

kitex1

Sounds pretty cool, especially for those long expeditions to a new K :)

DeletedUser

i like this idea, and it would add and angle to this game, that would step up the pace

Last edited by a moderator:

shatine

this mesenger can be dangerous if tw will alow it

from wath i undestand u say thath if u send an atack and send the mesenger to cange the target with a new one...

so u send nukes and nobles from diferent villages ,u coordonate your mesenger to reach your atacks 1 second before the atacks must land and cange the target with a villages near the first target so your enemy will have just a few minutes to doge your atack since he was especting it in another village so thath mesenger wold cange all the game strategy

DeletedUser

it's a cool idea but dangerous as shatine pointed out. It would need a major overhaul of the battle engine as other changes would be needed to make it feasable.

That being said, it does not belong here, moving this to general discussion.

DeletedUser

well its quite intresting, especially that it would kinda save people time from logging in most of the time (ie: they send the messenger to order this village to send an attack at that village), meaning you can send roughly most of your attacks in 2 hours and tons would be sent throughout!

now maths will be easy but very long per co-ordinated command, and as shatine pointed out, dodging would be veery easy, just send a messenger to land miliseconds before the attack and your troops leave the village!

so in both ways pretty cool and nice, but also somewhat a headache! Not everyone will like it tbh!

DeletedUser

Too much potential for abuse if it would allow redirecting / recalling of troops already sent out.

For example, send 10 nukes at a village and redirect them to another village at the last minute, basically preventing any kind of stacking since any long range attack can be redirected anywhere. Or maybe you just scouted and realized the village is stacked? Redirect to a nearby barb.

DeletedUser

you would have to counter it with the ability of support to move around freely in a specified area
instead of troops being stuck in one village it could move around fluidly as if it were a real army. Heck then all armies would be moving fluidly and the game would revolve more heavily on CQB rather than fakes.

Or you could just give the ability to a paladin as each player can have only one.

If you ask me i would prefer a system like that of ogame (sorry to advertise?), where with a high enough espionage level you can see the incoming fleet and it's composition. That would totally eliminate the need for fakes and the game would grow more intense as you would rely on CQB rather than those annoying fakes XP

DeletedUser

I think what the game needs in a 3d FPS mode where you control your paladin and can single-handedly change the outcome of a battle.

Screw strategy, split second mouse reflexes would be all that's needed to conquer villages.

:icon_cool:

Nocnoidozor

this mesenger can be dangerous if tw will alow it

from wath i undestand u say thath if u send an atack and send the mesenger to cange the target with a new one...

so u send nukes and nobles from diferent villages ,u coordonate your mesenger to reach your atacks 1 second before the atacks must land and cange the target with a villages near the first target so your enemy will have just a few minutes to doge your atack since he was especting it in another village so thath mesenger wold cange all the game strategy

I totally agree with you ,it just cant happen ...
But you can look at it the other way ,i would be same for everybody and there would be much more councers..

rpgman88

It's an interesting idea that could by fun, but it will clearly be abused and will COMPLETELY change game play. If that was implimented in some worlds, I would not play there...

DeletedUser

I think what the game needs in a 3d FPS mode where you control your paladin and can single-handedly change the outcome of a battle.

Screw strategy, split second mouse reflexes would be all that's needed to conquer villages.

:icon_cool:

SECONDED!

and i think it would make the game a lot better if they were to combine this with like.... age of empires, and you controlled your troops and battle it out! Then used your cats to tear down the walls and sneak your noble in under a sheep!!

Or you cpuld let the comp do it for you. and there would be no need for under sheep nobling :icon_idea:

DeletedUser

The only way I would like this messenger unit is to send it with an attack/support/withdraw instruction to a given village. For example:
You have 2 isolated villages next to each other in the rim of the world
Village A (999|999): 1 nuke incoming at 02:00 ST
Village B (998|999): 1 nuke incoming at 03:00 ST

For some reason you can't be online from 00:00-04:00 to move your troops, but you have messengers from villages in other continents that can reach the villages under attack on time to move the troops for you while you're away.

So you send a messenger from Village C (on another continent) to Village B with the instruction to send support to village A. Your support consist of some units moving at 10 minutes/field so your messenger should hit Village B before 01:50 ST to reach Village A before the nuke hits (02:00 ST).
So basically messengers will do sitters job ;)

DeletedUser

you know that would be a good idea considering it would make the game more authentic and realistic because of the fact that within the first tenth of an attack time I think it is you can cancel the attack. that is unrealistic because I don't think the guy in the rally point got on the phone with the soldiers and said come back. Instead the recalling of an attack should be determined by the speed of the messenger and how much time has gone by.that would make everything seem way more real. It is also another challenge that players would need to cope with.