News - come and get it.

DeletedUser

mmm it helps when writing stupid small mistakes often occur and are sometimes overlooked by the original writer purely because they know the work so well. For instance many of my reports end up with "...a the..." Somewhere in there purely because I changed a sentence, or switched the whole tense my report was in. stuff happens and someone to double check does help.
I'd also like to point out the "Can you raed tihs" thing a lot of people like to put in their profiles. Many people can read that easily, but it doesn't mean things are right, so a lot of times simple mistakes get passed over.

@In the Morning - Maybe we'll need a proof reader for the proof reader...

@Sab - Someone said the American style of english is lazy, but I'm too lazy to go back and find out who. (Yes that was supposed to be a joke)

@Dwarven King - You are already trying to steal Georgia ya little midget! You want this too? :icon_rolleyes:

@Jax - Yes, a reporter/interviewer probably should catch most of their mistakes, but they don't always. Like Sab said, the writer knows what he/she is trying to say and might miss a simple mistake because they already know what it's supposed to be in their own mind. But then again, if you take any novel and read through it carefully, I garuntee you'll find mistakes. And those authors have not only spellcheck, but also professional editors paid to find those mistakes that miss them. So yes, it does happen.

DeletedUser

I took no offense, I merely wanted to make sure I was not thought to have said that. :) I'm actually not allowed to take offense to things, it sends me to the hospital :(

Anyway, I'm just going to say "Yes" to what you said to Jax. Current novels are better than old ones, but you should read those old ones they're terrible. And sorting through their original grammar from their later grammar and deciding which one the author truly meant to use etc... It's a pain let me tell you. a 50 page dissertation on Byron's grammatic mistakes and why they weren't his fault GOD. Byron was the best of his time and he refused to put in punctuation, viewed it as beneath him. :)

Like I said they're better today, but still so so many mistakes make it into the final edition of every novel :( It slows down the reading process and takes me out of the story much too often.

DeletedUser

I took no offense, I merely wanted to make sure I was not thought to have said that. :) I'm actually not allowed to take offense to things, it sends me to the hospital :(

Anyway, I'm just going to say "Yes" to what you said to Jax. Current novels are better than old ones, but you should read those old ones they're terrible. And sorting through their original grammar from their later grammar and deciding which one the author truly meant to use etc... It's a pain let me tell you. a 50 page dissertation on Byron's grammatic mistakes and why they weren't his fault GOD. Byron was the best of his time and he refused to put in punctuation, viewed it as beneath him. :)

Like I said they're better today, but still so so many mistakes make it into the final edition of every novel :( It slows down the reading process and takes me out of the story much too often.
I hate poetry for the common lack of proper grammar and spelling. I remember my english teacher this year had us completely dissect this poem (don't remember the author) and find all the mistakes, which turned out to be several hundred. Then she tells us that the author wrote it like that purposely for the poem and that it's fine. GRRR... :icon_evil:

But yea, reading older books is horrible too. The grammar in the english language is constantly changing, so what might've been right a century ago is incorrect today.

DeletedUser13939

@Dwarven King - You are already trying to steal Georgia ya little midget! You want this too? :icon_rolleyes:

Well, seeing how I'm getting nowhere to accomplishing that, yes!

On another note, I've read novels with mistakes in them. I read them all the time. :p

DeletedUser

I'd like to take part in this, most likely as a reporter, depending upon what that role involves. If my schedule doesn't permit for that then a proof reader is something I feel I could do.

DeletedUser

I saw it on W37 I think?

And to Jurasu, yes, you do know me.

DeletedUser

Well, who here is actually serious about setting something like this up?

DeletedUser

Me also. Though I'd prefer to have someone helping me decide on the story to do, I like writing more than finding the story. I'm fine with doing the research on it, I just *shrugs* I like some direction.