Newsletter #2 - 2009-11-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser656

Dear Players,

Welcome to the second official Tribal Wars newsletter! We’ve had an incredibly busy couple of weeks so this is being sent out slightly late. Sorry for the delay!

Start of world 44

Due to the success of world 43 we’re going to be starting our next world on Thursday between 12:00 and 14:00 server time. Our last world used mostly classic settings but this time we’re going for high speed and a healthy mix of new and old. The world will feature new units such as Archers, but no paladin and will use the packages system for noblemen.

The tech system will use the 10 tier upgrade system which is something we don’t usually see here at Tribalwars.net. In a nutshell each unit type can be upgraded up to level 10, with the unit’s performance increasing slightly per upgrade. Unlike the 3 tier upgrade system there is no overall limit, so if wanted you could eventually upgrade all of your units to level 10.
For a full list of the settings please check out the forums here.

Although world 45 won’t be starting for quite some time we have already started planning the settings. We’re hopefully going to do a slower world for those who have less time to play, with the world speed set to 0.5 and more classical settings. We don’t decide on settings until a few days before a world starts though so please remember this is not set in concrete!

Version 5.7

Many of you will have noticed that all the words received some small upgrades last week. We’d just like to explain how the versioning system works and why sometimes we get lots of big updates in a small period followed by smaller updates that take longer to arrive.

For the last few years we’ve been using a major-minor system for updates. The ‘5’ in 5.7 is the major version and the ‘7’ is the minor version. Every time we release a huge update the major version increases by one. When we release a smaller update the minor version increases.

Every year we aim to release one major version. At the start of 2009 we released the new Church system and tons of other features as part of version 5.0. In 2008 version 4.0 brought us bonus villages and in 2007 version 3.0 gave us archers.

After a major update we normally have lots of tweaks and other small features that have built up over the year to implement. As a result of this we normally release quite a few minor versions (5.1, 5.2, 5.3) in the first half of the year. Once the backlog of feature requests and bugs is reduced such updates become less frequent as we start thinking about the next major version and what to include in it.

Version 5.7 will be the last minor update for the 5.x series of updates. We’re currently hard at work on version 6.0 which will focus a lot on features for tribes and will hopefully be able to post more news about the exciting features included soon!

Player questions

Due to the amount of other content in this newsletter we’ll be posting answers to player questions every month, starting in the next issue. As a reminder, if you have any questions whatsoever to the Tribal Wars team please send an email to questions@tribalwars.net. Thanks!

Reporting abusive mails

It is unfortunate that in every game there will always be people who cannot treat others with respect. As such, we have a system in place to allow you to easily report mails that break our rules.

If you receive an abusive mail you should immediately scroll down and click the ‘Report this message’ link. This should be done as soon as you get the abusive message as it makes it harder for us to deal with the report if there have been more replies since.

We’d also recommend not forwarding on abusive messages as then you would also be violating our rules by publishing offensive text.

Please note that you should not use the mail reporting system to report multiple accounts even if they do admit it in the mail. You should always use the ticket system for this. If required you can export the mail and paste it into the ticket.

What keeps Tribal Wars running?

Tribal Wars has been growing steadily for the last few years, not just on our international version but across all other markets (you can see a full list here). Such a huge operation requires a huge infrastructure and we thought it’d be nice to share some of this information here.

For the last three years all our servers have been located in a datacenter near to our company headquarters in Hamburg, Germany. The datacenter is owned by one of the largest traffic and bandwidth providers worldwide, the American “Level (3)” company. This guarantees excellent connectivity and response times to all corners of the world.

As a whole InnoGames currently has 230 servers, the majority being used as database servers (just 75 are used for serving web traffic). These are used for Tribal Wars, The-West, Grepolis (InnoGames’ upcoming game) and other miscellaneous services. All servers use open source software and run on the Debian Linux operating system.

In total the server’s use over ten terabytes of bandwidth daily which peaks to more than 1 gigabit of traffic per second at times. To give you an impression of the mass of hardware involved here, we have over 100 terabytes of hard disk storage and over 2 terabytes of memory.

Staff changes

We’d like to extend a welcome Iceco to our team as a forum moderator, as well as congratulate Seagryfn and Geomance on joining our in-game support team.

-------------------------------------------------------------

We’d love to hear any feedback or suggestions you have so please do reply here to let us know how we’re doing!

Kind regards,

Jon “Morthy” Dawson
Community Manager

DeletedUser

iam loving the current severes i cant get my head around the chruch but i think tribal wars is doing amaizingly well and i have played here for just over 4 years now and i should be joining w44

Last edited by a moderator:

trooper.ERA

amazing work indeed!
However, If you are interested,i would be willing to help in localization/translation of TW for the Serbian version. Whilst playing on think w13 a year or more ago i came across some decent number of players from my country. Think there would be even more if in our language...so,I'm open for any suggestions,feel free to contact me via tw or regular mail.

DeletedUser

I know I could and possibly should mail this question here: questions@tribalwars.net, but my mail account takes ages to open, sooo :)

The question is: Can I, somehow disable this newsletter? Don't get me wrong, its a perfectly good read, but I kinda cant relate to anything in the mail.
I could also continue to open the mail every week and find nothing I need, but I'm just asking.

DeletedUser

keep up the good work!!!

i'm playing on tribal wars international server world 36...

DeletedUser

uhm first of all,i would like to thank you for creating this game,and thank the in-game team for all their work for us (players :p) :D, the game is great,it is also developing very nicely and rapidly i'd say :), as for version 6.0, i would like to suggest something that could make the game more intresting to play :D, i personally would like that in tribalwars to be included more animations ... i mean,like villagers moving around town and such :p, and something way to epic,is when you click the map to be able to see your troops moving towards your target :D , i thought that'd be a hell of a improvement for tribalwars :),im sure everybody would like that too :p

-Best Regards :)

DeletedUser

that is an amazing idear but then it would conterdicted the preaum acounts

DeletedUser656

I know I could and possibly should mail this question here: questions@tribalwars.net, but my mail account takes ages to open, sooo :)

The question is: Can I, somehow disable this newsletter? Don't get me wrong, its a perfectly good read, but I kinda cant relate to anything in the mail.
I could also continue to open the mail every week and find nothing I need, but I'm just asking.

No, it's not possible. You can just delete it as soon as you get it.

DeletedUser

i would like to see more gif flash or other graphic elements, also make that search modul to INGAME forum system

DeletedUser

Honestly, you are doing good work and its pretty awesome, how you plan everything.

BUT (sadly there is one): many of my friends (and me included) like the fast worlds more, with classic settings. what i would wish to have is a w46 starting at the same time as w45, with 2x speed, pallies, no fake limits, big tribe member limits, 10 tech system, coins and, most importantly, NO church. this is just the opinion of me and some others, but i honestly consider quitting, if there are no new worlds, which somehow fit my interests (as well, that there now only 1 world opens at a time).

many thanks and keep the good work up.

thecamel - w39

DeletedUser

You guys are doing a fantastic job! I'm lovin it. Great fun and about as close to 0 problems as one can get. The newsletters are a great idea as well. Well done!! A+ grade from this one!

DeletedUser

uhm first of all,i would like to thank you for creating this game,and thank the in-game team for all their work for us (players :p) :D, the game is great,it is also developing very nicely and rapidly i'd say :), as for version 6.0, i would like to suggest something that could make the game more intresting to play :D, i personally would like that in tribalwars to be included more animations ... i mean,like villagers moving around town and such :p, and something way to epic,is when you click the map to be able to see your troops moving towards your target :D , i thought that'd be a hell of a improvement for tribalwars :),im sure everybody would like that too :p

-Best Regards :)

yes i agree with you, like when there is an incomming attack archers standing on walls or some other fortification can be seen, or may be when loyalty of a village is less than 100 some building could be seen burning, and if there is a way that we can get an E-Mail when ever a new world opens it would be nice too.

DeletedUser

Honestly, you are doing good work and its pretty awesome, how you plan everything.

BUT (sadly there is one): many of my friends (and me included) like he fast worlds more, with classic settings. what i would wish to have is a w46 starting at the same time as w45, with 2x speed, pallies, no fake limits, big tribe member limits, 10 tech system, coins and, most importantly, NO church. this is just the opinion of me and some others, but i honestly consider quitting, if there are no new worlds, which somehow fit my interests (as well, that there now only 1 world opens at a time).

many thanks and keep the good work up.

thecamel - w39

i will agree with that as well that would be very good but small tribe limite maby 60

snake14085

Waiting

I found out that the building speed is quite good. No churches also. So, i'm waiting for the day the world 44 will be created on Thursday. Keep up the good work! I'm enjoying this game! When i come back home from school, i first check my account here. Then do assignment then check my account again and again. :)

DeletedUser

I found out that the building speed is quite good. No churches also. So, i'm waiting for the day the world 44 will be created on Thursday. Keep up the good work! I'm enjoying this game! When i come back home from school, i first check my account here. Then do assignment then check my account again and again. :)

lol, w44 HAS churches, thats why i won´t join...

DeletedUser

lol you are doing a great job! I think that almost anybody who play this game love it! As it is a very awesome game!

However I am waiting for a world with no church and pally with weapon and tribe limit 100. Well just check the setting for W20. I love that one. So please if possible create a world just like W20! ^^

Btw I check my account from morning to night. As soon as I wake up, I switch on my pc and log in directly to TW. Then other sites. But TW is always the first one. I love this game! ^^

DeletedUser

It's amazing the infrastructure you have for playing, it would be nice to pay a visit to your location if it is possible.

DeletedUser

Can we please have Grepolis graphics without all the Grepolis hugging? TW has so much of a better sytem but Grepolis has the dev lub :icon_sad:

And yes, this is coming from someone who uses the classical overview!

If the TW map and villages were half as cool :(

Status
Not open for further replies.