Newsletter Interview

Jirki88

Administrator
Tribal Wars Team
Community Management
Reaction score
*The player's name

Hi there chisum* thanks for giving us this interview. To start off, could you tell us a bit about your Tribal Wars career?
All-in-all, my active career was not really long compared to other players. I started sometime around the end of 2004 / beginning of 2005, when I was asked by an acquaintance if I want to play with him. No sooner said than done and I was playing in an account on World 3 where I stayed for 1,5 years until I had to quit due to time constraints. But the “addiction” was stronger and after some brief moments on DE6 and DE10 in the spring of 2007, I joined DE12.
It must’ve been around the end of 2009 / beginning of 2010 when more and more fellow tribe players had to quit due to school or work related issues and I slowly pulled myself out – because without them it just wasn’t the game I wanted to play.
Occasionally I briefly played DE15 or DE16, at one point even .ES, simply to try new things. Playing more than one world simply wasn’t possible for me due to the time needed, even though my job allowed me to play anytime during the day.
Then, when beta came out last year, the addiction hit me again. Ever since then I can usually be found there or in another account on DE, if an old acquaintance needs a babysitter or I need a bigger account in a “live environment” to “test” or “reproduce” some of the bugs or features we find on Beta.
I’m also involved in a project outside of normal Tribal Wars that I joined two or three years ago. Even though the new version isn’t moving along as quickly as I’d like right now due to lack of time.

What do you think is the most helpful strategy for the early game?
My strategy is simply called activity. In my opinion, in order to be successful you need to be very active - farming, constantly building offensive troops, keeping your neighbours low, building up your academy ASAP and nobling a second (populated and worthwhile) village in a proper distance to your first one. This automatically leads to an ever higher rate of growth since you have more troops to farm with, etc. The points come on their own, even if you abstain from increasing your mines etc.

And what are the biggest pitfalls for beginners?
Sadly there are quite a few for beginners. Most problematic, in my perspective, is the pairing of inexperience and lack of activity. TW actually is a simple game that everybody can pick up pretty fast.
New players often join the game underestimating the activity factor which, as I said before, is crucial.
Also most of them don’t really bother with the in-game help, existing tutorials etc. So they diligently build up their village at the cost of troops, are happy if their points increase, build up mixed-villages and thus fast become resource providers for the neighbourhood.
Many then make the mistake of waiting for a new world to start on. Thinking that if they are under the earliest players to join the world they’ll be more successful. In my opinion it would make much more sense to start again in the outer-ring, trying out a few things to get a hang of the basics or grasp the idea of the game. One should especially not get demotivated if attacked constantly, because there are always ways to fight back.

So we just talked about the early game but what about the late game? What strategy do you follow there and why?
Later in the game I think stamina and patience are the best strategies. The fronts are usually blocked, making it often times not worth the effort of pushing through directly.
Therefore one needs to wear down the enemy through constant and wide-scaled attacks. Your own ego or ranking must take the backseat if you realize that it will benefit the tribe at a singular front-line.

How important are other players/your tribe in this strategy?
In the beginning you can hold your ground as a single player, but later it becomes impossible without a tribe or fellow co-players. Otherwise you can put up your feet and watch while your own account is taken down by the enemy. In short: without a functioning tribe even the best strategy falls short.

What can you tell us about your favourite unit?
All units have pros and cons. Picking a favourite is hard, in the end the combination of units is essential for success. Don’t get hung up on a single favourite.

I’ll try not to! And what does your username mean to you?
To be honest I don’t really have a bond with my name. Since I’m totally uncreative in that respect I simply picked the title of the movie that ran on TV, when I was looking for a new name for DE12. I’m still using that one so I don’t have to remember that many names and passwords. But I can’t say I really like it. ^^

Are you a premium user?
Of course. A premium account simplifies the administration of an account and helps to reduce the time needed so that you can instead focus on the essential parts of the game. Up to a certain size you can deal without a premium account but as soon as the first attack waves in high numbers start to roll in it will get stressful.

What do you find most challenging in Tribal Wars?
The biggest challenge for me was finding ways and means of destroying the enemy together with my fellow tribesmen.

What is about the game you love most?
If you look at the reason why I first quit it should become apparent pretty quickly. Meaning: the communication and fellowship in the tribe are very important to me.

And last but not least can you recommend a particular kind of music for listening to while playing Tribal Wars?
For me this depends on the time of day or even the mood. I usually prefer listening to my favourite rock radio station but also something relaxing like classical music. That’s a pretty strong contrast of course but it’s rather nice. ^^

DeletedUser

This thread is confusing!

anyway, quite interesting, should we post our own or what? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Gave me some good ideas to ask about for my 'Mock Blog' as part as my application :)

DeletedUser

Mail I got never said he was top player

but seems odd they mail everyone about an interview with some guy I never heard of

Maybe he won that speed round competition they had ? I dont bother with those

DeletedUser

Mail I got never said he was top player

but seems odd they mail everyone about an interview with some guy I never heard of

Maybe he won that speed round competition they had ? I dont bother with those

The subject of the email was
An interview with the top player Chisum - insider tips for Tribal Wars

DeletedUser

id hardly say there were many if any top tips in there. all that was said was you need to be active and read guides. Based on the email i assumed there might be a bit more content in regards to actual helpful advice to newer less experienced players.

DeletedUser

id hardly say there were many if any top tips in there. all that was said was you need to be active and read guides. Based on the email i assumed there might be a bit more content in regards to actual helpful advice to newer less experienced players.

I assume it's because this is an interview & not a guide, It can hardly be expected for a player to give away their tricks and tips on being the top as with information of that quality and some decent activity this game is easy to master.

DeletedUser

very mediocre interview to say the least. I was checking my mail and this got my attention to come back to the offer. Alas, I am disappointed in the content. SIGH !!!

DeletedUser

So... the moral of the story is, if you wan to be really good at this game, you need to spend all your time on it. Eh, I'd rather get paid working.

King Matt II

69Gr

Could you send it again please I don't think I received the email.

DeletedUser

I agree with Simz. Not a whole lot here. It might also be helpful if the player listed his TW accomplishments in his repsponse to question 1. Did he ever attain rank 1? Rank 1 OD? Lead a rank 1 tribe. Finish a world? It might validate his responses more, but even so they were some what sparse in detail.

DeletedUser

Its pretty difficult to say "This player is a top player on all of tribal wars" unless you back it up with him having been in the top ranks of something (leader of top tribe, a top player, top ODA, etc.) and even then it should be mirrored on multiple worlds, since even noobs (coughmecough) can get pretty high in the rankings or end up in very high positions without any real qualifications.

Also, how many worlds in total have been around for TW, and how many speed rounds? I just think its kind of arbitrary to pick this one player who only people who have been on the same worlds as him would know, when there have been many, many worlds.

DeletedUser

Ah... Jirki88...Yes you did start out on W3, I do believe you were rimmed due to your treason.

Your friend formerly known a Crazy Horse. :p