Implemented Night Bonus Improvements

Do you like this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mbright1

The Problem
Tribal Wars requires a larger time commitment than any other game I have ever played. This in most cases results in players co playing a single account, which arguably gives an advantage against the players that are not co-playing. I believe this issue also greatly impacts new player retention. New players coming into the game are not yet as addicted to the game as the rest of us, and are not going to set alarms in the middle of the night to send attacks or snipe trains. Any seasoned player will scavenge TW Stats for any information revealing an enemies online times, then unleash a horde of attacks when they know a player is asleep. When the new player returns and their tribe tells them they somehow need to be online 24/7 to succeed in the game, 9 times out of 10 they quit. Without getting too buried in the details, lets just say the current game takes an enormous amount of time to play competitively.

I don't think it needs to be argued that these are known issues of sorts, as night bonuses have already existed on various servers/worlds. The issue on the .net server is that not all players live in the same time zone. The current night bonus gives an unfair advantage to players in the selected timezone. Casual 5 started with a night bonus, but it was removed shortly after the world started for this very reason. The fix however is quite simple!

The Solution
When a player starts the world, they select their preferred night bonus time frame, much like you would choose your starting direction. In the picture below I used 8 hour time frames, but that can of course be adjusted (There could also just be two options, one for North America and one for Europe might work). Once a timezone has been chosen, it cannot be changed for the duration of that world. This helps prevent abusing the system to enter night bonus right before attacks land, or after finding out what your enemies online times are.
upload_2018-6-15_18-0-26.png

Night bonus information would need to public to all players so attacks can be coordinated accordingly. Adding a field in each users profile seems to like the best route for that. (JawJaw was catted to oblivion, but somehow retained rank 1 ;))
upload_2018-6-15_18-0-38.png

I also think a warning when sending attacks would make the system a little more user friendly. To avoid surprise 100% defense bonuses on your attacks.
upload_2018-6-15_18-0-45.png

This would cause quite a significant shift in strategy, and of course needs some safeguards to prevent users from abusing it. For example attacking a player right before your night bonus so they don't have a chance to recap. To combat this, night bonus can be negated when attacking other players. If player A sends an attack or has an attack landing on player B in the last 12 (or 24?) hours, the night bonus will not apply for player B attacking player A. The bonus will still apply for player A attacking player B when their night bonus starts, unless a return attack is sent. Both players night bonus still apply for all other players on the world, it is only skipped if the players are actively attacking one another. A bit confusing to explain, but essentially if you attack a player your next night bonus will not apply for them. They can continue attacking you throughout your night bonus period with no penalty.

The mechanic outlined above will further reduce faking (Watch Towers have greatly reduced their effectiveness already). Another tactic used to overwhelm players unable to commit to tagging 100's or 1000's of attacks. If you send fakes at a player, they can then attack you during what would have been your night bonus.

This idea could also greatly improve the transition from a local server like tribalwars.us to the international .net server. Meaning all of the servers can easily be merged together making for some large fun worlds again!

Thanks for reading! Please share any feedback or suggestions to improve the idea!

DeletedUser121584

So if your night bonus is activated your not allowed to farm other players or barbs right?

would be great if you cant farm at all during that peroid to reduce the huge advantage from accounts with 3-4 coplayers farming 24/7. :)

Zalinor

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
As an optional world setting on some worlds. I'd get behind that for sure.
I'd leave the night bonus on even when attacking neighbours as it would be a good new dynamic. You can still time a recap without worrying about a 100% def bonus so you would have to time def or fake def to dissuade it.

Mbright1

So if your night bonus is activated your not allowed to farm other players or barbs right?

would be great if you cant farm at all during that peroid to reduce the huge advantage from accounts with 3-4 coplayers farming 24/7. :)

I think any corrections to farming should be left for a different topic. Sure they could fit into this system, but not really the main point and just complicates the main objective.

As an optional world setting on some worlds. I'd get behind that for sure.
I'd leave the night bonus on even when attacking neighbours as it would be a good new dynamic. You can still time a recap without worrying about a 100% def bonus so you would have to time def or fake def to dissuade it.

I agree, not necessary needed for every world, but a nice in-between causal and normal options that would be great for a lot of players.

On some of the other servers with Night bonus active, a TON of attacks are timed right before night bonus starts or after it ends. I think it adds a new and exciting strategy to have it disabled when attacking. Plus it helps more competitive players that don't necessarily want to take advantage of the night bonus feature continue attacking each other. Not a deal breaker either way in my option. Could test out that setting on a couple worlds just to see how well it works and let players decide which they prefer.

Mintyfresh

Skilled Soldier 18 & Master Commander 21 & 22
Reaction score
Its a shame there isnt some kind of a sandbox world where these sorts of settings can be tested. I tentatively agree with it but not really sure without seeing it in action. The one bit i do disagree with is the unable to be changed section as sometimes (fairly often really) over a course of a world accounts will change owners/timezones. Maybe limit changes to like once every couple of months?

Mbright1

Its a shame there isnt some kind of a sandbox world where these sorts of settings can be tested. I tentatively agree with it but not really sure without seeing it in action. The one bit i do disagree with is the unable to be changed section as sometimes (fairly often really) over a course of a world accounts will change owners/timezones. Maybe limit changes to like once every couple of months?

I know that would be great! Back when speed was still around, a lot of worlds had a "Sleep" feature that was similar to this, only you couldn't attack a player at all while sleep was active. Every player got to decide when their sleep started, so not everyone had the same advantage at the same time. So in theory, it has already been tested to an extent.

That is a good point. I don't see any issue with changing it every now and then. Or set it up so it takes 48 hours for the change to take effect. The idea of preventing the change is so players can't move their sleep mode real quick before an op lands. Letting players change it does open up the risk of someone changing their night bonus to coincide with their enemies online times, but I suppose in any system someone is going to try to find a loophole. Changing it to anything other than your actual sleep time is really just putting yourself at more of a disadvantage, so if someone wants to sacrifice restful sleep for a slight advantage over one enemy, that's on them.

DeletedUser120800

I've edited this twice, I like and hate the idea. It's horrible on a serious world but in a casual world then sure I think it's fair

Last edited:

Mbright1

I've edited this twice, I like and hate the idea. It's horrible on a serious world but in a casual world then sure I think it's fair

Could you elaborate?

The idea is to create a happy medium between casual boredom and the 24/7 time sink that the standard game is. The current game isn’t practical for the average player, which is why worlds are shrinking and new player retention is near non-existent. Die hard players with unlimited time on their hands can continue playing standard worlds. It’s just another option to throw in the mix. Like no haul worlds or various win conditions.

DeletedUser95549

Yes! Make a world with these settings and prohibit multiple persons on one account on that world. Increase the ratio of barbarian villages to player villages. Make a maximum and minimum amount of player and barbarian villages in each 5x5.

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
prohibit multiple persons on one account on that world

Literally not possible. Even saying co-playing is banned wouldn't prevent it. It'd just screw the honest people that chose to listen because it'd be impossible to detect.

If I play from work and home, am I co-playing? I'd have two IP's.

If me and 5 friends all co-play and all use the same VPN however we'd have 5 people playing and only 1 IP.

Yet me playing from home and work would look more like co-playing than the actual co-played account + vpn would to any form of IP verification intended to limit co-playing.

TL;DR You'd only catch the dumb people, and the smart people would have a bigger advantage than ever before.

DeletedUser120800

Could you elaborate?

The idea is to create a happy medium between casual boredom and the 24/7 time sink that the standard game is. The current game isn’t practical for the average player, which is why worlds are shrinking and new player retention is near non-existent. Die hard players with unlimited time on their hands can continue playing standard worlds. It’s just another option to throw in the mix. Like no haul worlds or various win conditions.

Sure!

The world settings are announced days before release so we'd have no idea if the next world was lack of time friendly, I'd be pretty disappointed to plan a premade for then just to find out our chances of dominating are slimmer because I find out everyone around me is getting a defence bonus.

I also don't have unlimited time, I just have an insane obsession, yet on most worlds I play I'm the rank 1 farmer and top 5 as seen in 99, I rarely have coplayers too. I understand that my reason for disliking is a bit selfish because I'm not the average player, I will play to win and others just want to have fun.

It does open a world of new strategies, i.e. making recaps hard or purposely targeting those a second after it ends in hopes they're still asleep but I feel it also removes the main strategy of hitting them while they're offline. I will wait until someone goes offline to hit them, I think it's normal and everyone in my tribe on 99 does wake up at 4am to launch trains, so it's not just the defender suffering from lack of sleep lol. But hey, this is what sitters are for. I don't wish to attack them while they're awake, it greatly reduces the chances of getting that villa through crashes and snipes.

Say you were to OP a tribe too and target 3 members based on their bonus time, the others in their tribe would have no need to worry if their bonus is activated then and so could split their DVs in half to support those under attack. One of the reasons of fakes is to make them think they're target, but if you see the OP time from a train launch and see it lands in your night time bonus time-frame then you have no need to worry (Can be abused by attackers too, defenders reliance on this bonus could cause them to send out all their D - As seen with over reliance of watchtowers and the sending of 150 cats and 500 axe)

It just makes the game too new player friendly for me. A casual world I think would be better, it could recommend the casual world as a world for new players and the time-frame would allow them to get used to the game while also not having to stress about a casual world

Mbright1

Sure!

The world settings are announced days before release so we'd have no idea if the next world was lack of time friendly, I'd be pretty disappointed to plan a premade for then just to find out our chances of dominating are slimmer because I find out everyone around me is getting a defence bonus.

A fair argument for promenades. The same can be said for no-haul worlds in my option though. You get what you get. Perhaps a consistent pattern, like every other world having the night bonus activated would help players plan their premades ahead of time.

I also don't have unlimited time, I just have an insane obsession, yet on most worlds I play I'm the rank 1 farmer and top 5 as seen in 99, I rarely have coplayers too. I understand that my reason for disliking is a bit selfish because I'm not the average player, I will play to win and others just want to have fun.

As you said yourself, you're not the average player. Playing this game with a full time job and a family, just isn't practical. Which is why so many players quit the game, in my opinion. I'm not saying completely remove the option to have worlds without any sort of night bonus for the more competitive players. I am all for keeping those around, I just think the night bonus option would be well suited for a lot of players, and should be an option. The current casual worlds are just a barb nobling borefest. They do serve a purpose to help players learn the game though. So I don't want to replace those with a night bonus.

It does open a world of new strategies, i.e. making recaps hard or purposely targeting those a second after it ends in hopes they're still asleep but I feel it also removes the main strategy of hitting them while they're offline. I will wait until someone goes offline to hit them, I think it's normal and everyone in my tribe on 99 does wake up at 4am to launch trains, so it's not just the defender suffering from lack of sleep lol. But hey, this is what sitters are for. I don't wish to attack them while they're awake, it greatly reduces the chances of getting that villa through crashes and snipes.

This actually works more toward a pro for the night bonus than a con. Having to wake up at 4 am isn't an option for a lot of players. It shouldn't be required that players quit their jobs, leave their families, and never sleep just so they can play a game. This is a simple fix that solves a lot of these issue.

Coplaying is another pretty large issue to consider with this point. Some accounts are never offline. Leaving players that just want to play alone at a huge disadvantage. As
ALessonInPointWhoring already pointed out above, it is impossible to ban co-playing. A night bonus would at least help close the gap.

Say you were to OP a tribe too and target 3 members based on their bonus time, the others in their tribe would have no need to worry if their bonus is activated then and so could split their DVs in half to support those under attack. One of the reasons of fakes is to make them think they're target, but if you see the OP time from a train launch and see it lands in your night time bonus time-frame then you have no need to worry (Can be abused by attackers too, defenders reliance on this bonus could cause them to send out all their D - As seen with over reliance of watchtowers and the sending of 150 cats and 500 axe)

Sounds like some fun and exciting new strategy to liven up the game to me. I don't see the issue. It can be used as an advantage for both attackers and defenders. Send fakes to land on a target right before their night bonus starts, and real attacks at another player right after theirs ends. The attacks could land within minutes of each other with no night bonuses active. Working ops around the night bonus wouldn't be a game killer, the game requiring 24/7 attention is.

It just makes the game too new player friendly for me. A casual world I think would be better, it could recommend the casual world as a world for new players and the time-frame would allow them to get used to the game while also not having to stress about a casual world

Like I mentioned before, I think this is a happy medium between standards worlds and casual. Not meant to replace either, but be an additional option available.

DeletedUser120800

Obviously we're going to disagree with each other on points and agree on others, I'd just not enjoy this feature and that's why we're all allowed to vote to cast our opinions. The night time bonus does bring new strategies but I'm sure we'd all know them and expect them and so prepare for them.

Is competitive play not the same for any game? Those that play longer and practice harder have a better chance of winning. With this option it's just not as exciting for someone like me. But hey, I don't speak for us all, if this goes through I'll just try that world and if I don't like it then I'll skip it :)

Wish they'd tell us the world settings weeks before release though!

JawJaw

Awesomest CM Ever
Reaction score
This idea will be implemented with