Obama and health care ... a new thread because I can

DeletedUser

I would say this is similar to how Obama claims that real American citizens and republicans are trying to destroy his proposed bill when questions opposing it are raised.

especially when the questions asked are pertaining to his birth certificate. lol

So Real Americans oppose the bill and fake Americans support the bill?

DeletedUser

moved this post here as it was blatantly offtopic, but might be some others want to discuss this crazy topic

DeletedUser

I am a real american, who can vote, and has voted for 30 years now, and i think obamas plan has to many flaws in it, and it wil cause the american people more grief than relief

DeletedUser

I haven't got around to the voting thing yet, being only 16.....

DeletedUser

Health care is broken,
Obama plan will not fix it,
might make it better

In haiku form

DeletedUser

Health care is broken,
Obama plan will not fix it,
might make it better

In haiku form

Not a haiku, you have 1 too many syllables on your second line. Good effort though.

DeletedUser

I am a real american, who can vote, and has voted for 30 years now, and i think obamas plan has to many flaws in it, and it wil cause the american people more grief than relief
'

I agree with sonny. Even his own house doesnt fully support him. Calling him a lier.

He has only caused us more problems thus far and more then doubled what we owe to other countries.

I voted for him and i will not continue to.

If his rates stay this low his hole term He want be re elected.

Plus i like the benifits i have. I work hard for what i got.
Those who can an dont. It's their problem. Taco bell is always hiring.
Those who cant, deserve an alternative.

There is more americans that can work an choose not to then those that cant work due to problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Where in his plan has he stated that if you like your current plan you have to change?:icon_rolleyes:

Fact of the matter is, though, even people who work hard often can't get the coverage they need. Our current system is broken, and it needs to be fixed. Plain and simple. I don't see anyone else trying to remedy the situation. Only complaining about someone who is.

DeletedUser

Where in his plan has he stated that if you like your current plan you have to change?:icon_rolleyes:

Fact of the matter is, though, even people who work hard often can't get the coverage they need. Our current system is broken, and it needs to be fixed. Plain and simple. I don't see anyone else trying to remedy the situation. Only complaining about someone who is.

I agree. Obama's plan is a lot more watertight then some of you have been led to believe. Should this plan go through, people won't be charged exorbitant amounts of money in order to pay for their health care, and they won't be denied coverage because they have cancer or rabies or are allergic to stock brokers. What's so bad about that?:)

For those who still doubt explain to me exactly why you do (be specific) and I will be happy to clear things up for you.

rpgman88

'

I agree with sonny. Even his own house doesnt fully support him. Calling him a lier.

Umm that was actually the guy from North Carolina who is a rebulican. Obama is a democrat...

Personally I support Obama for many reasons, besides the fact that nobody can possibly mess up this country as much as Bush did. I think his healthcare plan is trying to move things in the right direction and that is more than what a lot of people have done. He also openly is asking for tips or ideas from people from both parties, so lighten up.:icon_neutral:

DeletedUser

Yeah, but we all know calling someone a liar is the best tip you can give someone on how to make their idea better. :lol:

DeletedUser

Bingo. We agree on that.

The endgame is to run private insurers out of the market, thus the "public option" is the only option. The government can afford to offer any such service at a lower rate because it can take any financial loss incurred if such policies aren't profitable.

Fact of the matter is, though, even people who work hard often can't get the coverage they need.

I've heard this over and over and over... and over. It's a terrible argument. It's no question that people can afford health insurance. It's just not high on their priority list, is it? If they can't afford health insurance, maybe they can't afford car insurance either? Or their mortgage payment? Or payments on various other debt they may have? Should the government provide them a shortcut for those too?

Or perhaps they should cut some of their superfluous spending? Or perhaps they've made some ill financial choices, like a car they can't afford, and need to sell it? In other words, what happened to personal responsibility?

Obama's plan is a lot more watertight then some of you have been led to believe.

A trillion dollars down the hole plus costs that will undoubtedly skyrocket like only a government run project can, further adding to the colossal debt this administration is racking up. I wonder when inflation will decide to play catch-up?

But what am I saying... I mean, Social Security and Medicare have been such resounding successes. They've been efficiently run and have saved the government billions. Oh wait, that's the exact opposite of what they've done.

Should this plan go through, people won't be charged exorbitant amounts of money in order to pay for their health care, and they won't be denied coverage because they have cancer or rabies or are allergic to stock brokers.

Obama said something of the sort, and I think you'd have to be a fool to believe him. There's examples aplenty of people in European countries being flat-out denied care or placed on ridiculous waiting lists so that their government can save money. Why do you think the British have a stereotype for having bad teeth? They have long waiting lists to see a dental hygienist. I don't know what would make you believe it would be any different in the United States.

I will be happy to clear things up for you.

Go for it.

Umm that was actually the guy from North Carolina who is a rebulican. Obama is a democrat...

His statement stands. Many in Obama's party disagree with him over healthcare. I don't think he was referring to Joe Wilson's outburst during Obama's speech.

...and he's from South Carolina.

Personally I support Obama for many reasons, besides the fact that nobody can possibly mess up this country as much as Bush did.

Bush couldn't bankrupt the U.S. half as fast as Obama is.

I think his healthcare plan is trying to move things in the right direction and that is more than what a lot of people have done. He also openly is asking for tips or ideas from people from both parties, so lighten up.:icon_neutral:

Obama talks out both sides of his mouth. He might say he wants tips and ideas from both parties, but fact is, he really doesn't. The Republicans have alternative plans, but every time they try to schedule a meeting with Obama or request a hearing of Congress, they are flatly denied. Obama wants it done his way. The rest is a show to the public.

Bottom line: The government can't do much of anything right. Why in the world would you want them handling your health from cradle to grave?

DeletedUser

The endgame is to run private insurers out of the market, thus the "public option" is the only option. The government can afford to offer any such service at a lower rate because it can take any financial loss incurred if such policies aren't profitable.
Yes, because making sure things run at a profit is at everyone's best interest. I mean, it workls well with our Police departments, fire departments, infrastructure, educational system...

Healthcare is a basic necessity for people and should not be run with the intention of generating profits, but to keep people healthy. The entire way the system works needs to be revamped. Because everyone wants to make a prefit, it has resulted in healthcare costs rising at a much faster rate than ordinary inflation would account for. This is unacceptable for a very basic need.

I've heard this over and over and over... and over. It's a terrible argument. It's no question that people can afford health insurance. It's just not high on their priority list, is it? If they can't afford health insurance, maybe they can't afford car insurance either? Or their mortgage payment? Or payments on various other debt they may have? Should the government provide them a shortcut for those too?

Where have you been? The government has been providing bailouts for people over extended on mortages for awhile now. We bailed out Banks who made poor decision, we bailed the car manufacturors who made bad decsisions. Why shouldn't we help people with their health, for Christ's sake?

Or perhaps they should cut some of their superfluous spending? Or perhaps they've made some ill financial choices, like a car they can't afford, and need to sell it? In other words, what happened to personal responsibility?
I don't know, you tell me? Where is the responsibility of the insurance companies to provide care for people with existing conditions? Oh, they don't have to? Why is that? Isn't everyone entitled to live a healthy life? Fact is, healthcare costs are only going to get worse as people with conditions like Diabetes tax an already strained system to the max. You know what the best way to prevent diabetes is? Preventive medicene. That thing that insurance companies don't really want to pay for since it isn't a "necessary expense" and cuts into their profit margins.

Bush couldn't bankrupt the U.S. half as fast as Obama is.
Yeah, only because Bush didn't hae a collapsing economy to over spend on. :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

Yes, because making sure things run at a profit is at everyone's best interest. I mean, it workls well with our Police departments, fire departments, infrastructure, educational system...

All should be privatized, especially the U.S.'s abomination of an education system.

Healthcare is a basic necessity for people and should not be run with the intention of generating profits, but to keep people healthy. The entire way the system works needs to be revamped. Because everyone wants to make a prefit, it has resulted in healthcare costs rising at a much faster rate than ordinary inflation would account for. This is unacceptable for a very basic need.

I have one very simple reply to this. Profit breeds innovation. With no incentives for profit, there's no incentive to take risks. Call it greed if you like, but that's the way it works.

Where have you been? The government has been providing bailouts for people over extended on mortages for awhile now. We bailed out Banks who made poor decision, we bailed the car manufacturors who made bad decsisions. Why shouldn't we help people with their health, for Christ's sake?

I know that. I'm not daft. They were rhetorical questions aimed at making a point.

Now, why shouldn't we bail out individuals, bank, and car companies? We're rewarding failure and mismanagement. No company, I repeat, no company is too big to fail. Let the market take its course. Allow me to also rephrase your last question: "We made one bad decision, so why not make another?"

I don't know, you tell me?

It's gone. How about that?

Where is the responsibility of the insurance companies to provide care for people with existing conditions? Oh, they don't have to? Why is that?

They don't have to. It's profit driven. If you have a condition, you'll have to pay more for coverage you'll need. Their care will cost more; therefore, a policy will cost more. It makes perfect sense. I don't know why that's so hard for people to follow.

Isn't everyone entitled to live a healthy life?

No. Life isn't an entitlement. You'll have to take that one up with God.

Fact is, healthcare costs are only going to get worse as people with conditions like Diabetes tax an already strained system to the max.

Costs are rising everywhere. The U.S. isn't special.

You know what the best way to prevent diabetes is? Preventive medicene.

Absolutely dead wrong. Lifestyle choices are.

Yeah, only because Bush didn't hae a collapsing economy to over spend on. :icon_rolleyes:

Since you brought it up, I have an absolutely hee-larious story for you. Our former President warned Congress exactly twenty-three times that the housing market might be at risk in the future and could threaten the overall economy.

I have another funny story for you. Call it a prequel to my last story if you will. Former President Jimmy Carter signed the Community Reinvestment Act in 1977 that forced banks to hand out risky loans to otherwise unqualified home buyers. Former President Bill Clinton further loosened restrictions in the 1990's. That helped give us a big push down this lonely road of a "collapsing economy" as you put it.

DeletedUser

Not a haiku, you have 1 too many syllables on your second line. Good effort though.

Damn Obama and his three syllable name.

Health care is broken,
Obama plan not fix it,
might make it better

DeletedUser

I have another funny story for you. Call it a prequel to my last story if you will. Former President Jimmy Carter signed the Community Reinvestment Act in 1977 that forced banks to hand out risky loans to otherwise unqualified home buyers. Former President Bill Clinton further loosened restrictions in the 1990's. That helped give us a big push down this lonely road of a "collapsing economy" as you put it.

Except the bill was passed by the GoP led congress, only 1 Republican Congressman voted against it (41 Democrats and 1 Independent voted nay). All 55 Republican Senators voted for it (8 Democrats voted nay). So, if we're going to be thanking President Clinton, we should also be thanking the Republican Congress.

The Community Reinvestment Act in 1977 emphasizes that an institution's CRA activities should be undertaken in a safe and sound manner, and does not require institutions to make high-risk loans that may bring losses to the institution. this law was more to help people, minorities, that were qualified to get a mortgage from being discriminated against.

I have an absolutely hee-larious story for you. Our former President warned Congress exactly twenty-three times that the housing market might be at risk in the future and could threaten the overall economy.

Kinda like going up to a person whose house is on fire and warning them that not cleaning out their dryer lint trap might cause a fire. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

netjakdim

For those of you that love the idea of putting the government in charge I will ask you a question. First though for those against the bill please pay attention that if it goes into effect there will be many private practices out there to see patients with insurance and you will be highly sought after by them although they will probably be higher priced as they will be an independant practice.

Now for those folks that believe Obama is the saviour of the Health Care System I would like to ask you to take a moment and look at the Education System. The government regulates the salaries of educators. If you go to college spend an astronomical amount of money for that education. Who are you going to work for when you get out. The State that pays you about 25,000 or a private company that will start you out at 100,000?
What do you think that Healthcare workers are going to do. You see there is already one Medical establishment run by the government that is the VA system. They barely are able to keep employees as they constantly leave to go work other hospitals or change careers completly. About 90% of their doctors are trained outside of the United States and come from countries that are economically bankrupt. Now when the government takes over for Pediatricians, Dentists and Regular Emergency Rooms, how many people do you actually believe are going to continue selecting Health Care as a viable option for Employment?
If you research you will see that the average waiting time in an Emergency Room is about 4-6 hours even with emergencies crisis such as a heart attack one will still wait a few hours before the doctors decide to do anything with them. How long do you think it will take when they don't have any doctors or nurses to work the shifts. You are going to show up at 5 and they person at the front desk will sign you in, ask what is wrong, then they will tell you "Please have a seat the Doctor will be in tomorrow morning at 8."