ODA and Points

DeletedUser

I was looking at the self-updating maps and I noticed a difference between the the top point and top ODA for players. So, I did the only thing I could do to clear this up for myself, namely visualize. Below here one can see my visualizations (wow the word actually exists) with the top 20 ODA and points plotted over their respective tribes; this means no tribes that have no players in either of these top 20s.

I could have placed this in the map discussion thread, but I wanted so more detailed discussion on this. What I saw in these maps was the clear difference where people could grow more freely and where more wars have been raging.

I think it is clear that C² has more big players and less big-ODA players. This does not mean that they are not as good, but that they have been in less active wars. The big war between BANG! and ORC still shows as the players there are smaller, but have very high ODA.

Top 20 ODA
[spoil]
playeroda.jpg
[/spoil]

Top 20 Points
[spoil]
playerpoint.jpg
[/spoil]

DeletedUser

I think its pretty obvious that a tribe at war with an enemy of stature grows slower than a tribe going about the everyday business of consuming locals.

Thus i think having a high ODA and ODD to a lesser extent, means resources have been repeated spent on troops etc, and thus diverted from other areas,because enemy captures are more expensive during a competitive war, than in day to day operations.

ODD is a funny stat, because players in top tribes who are not at war are sometimes not attacked back by enemies. I mean when a top 50 ranked player attacks a relative minnow, in a minor tribe, the defender is less likely to retailiate Spank Me Silly or AxlTheCat, than someone closer to their own size (IMO). And they are almost certain not to start trouble with them.

Factors in this include both tribe and location. Some tribes are more war-loving than others, but some locations are more competitive than others, and have been for ages.

thus C2 dominate the top points players, and top ranked tribe, but Plight have more than their fair share of ODA junkies. This doesnt suprise me, and i think if you consider Plights ethos and the no. of wars in that area, it would appear to support my opinion.

I am not disparaging either approach, but i would alway check a players points, their oda, and then their 'diet' of villages as all independant ways of evaluating a player i don't know personally.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Dust should be added into this. Its a good example. Big war with ~LS~. Dust points and ODD will be VERY different. I think Dust are ahead of ~LS~ in ODD now...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This is not about the tribes ODA or points, but about the players. I put in the tribes just to give some background to the maps basically.

DeletedUser22370

Contrary to what Xterminator said, you will see that in Plight if not =HRV=, most of the top players are also top ODA players (obviously not me :p), so although Plight has 8 of the top 20 ODA players, 4 of those are in the top 20 players and the others are not far off.

I think he is right about wars though, Plight (especially the ORC sector) and BANG! have the most ODA players, and less top 20 players than C2 who have not had a war in some time.

DeletedUser

Yea, if we went say 6 or 7 months back, when the C2/CND war was still raging, you had high ODA players like Tyler-Durden in CND, or someone like Rqzaniq who was both high in ODA and points (also in CND). For a time, the majority of the top 20 came from the center of southwest, which can be seen in the the top 20 rankings where there is usually 10 or 11 players from C2 on the front page, but with the exception of Starburit, the rest have dropped without enough targets to hit.

On the other hand, Plight was at war with GUNs and ORC during the C2/CND war and kept a steady pace. Afterwards, Bang! and ORC were at war. Then Bang!? against Ad Inf and PnX later followed by Plight against PnX. The north has been largely substained by quite continuous warfare.

And in the southeast, =HRV= has always been going against some lower top 20 tribe since the time of ~I~, followed by wars with Windex, Coal, -S-A-, and the Dust family (might've been others that I don't know about).

So right now, the top 20 ODA rankings basically reflects the areas that have seen the most wars in this world up to this point.

DeletedUser

Made a mistake in my post :icon_redface:

Edited it now.

DeletedUser

Dust should be added into this. Its a good example. Big war with ~LS~. Dust points and ODD will be VERY different. I think Dust are ahead of ~LS~ in ODD now...
What's the point that you are making here? This was about ODA, which is based on a decision made by that player.

ODD is based on other people's decisions to attack you, and attack you a lot. There is really no control over it for the one with the high ODD score.

DeletedUser

i suppose you are right Jurasu, although i would say ODD is not entirely passive (in the sense of out of your control)

I for example am the original ODD whore, however this is not just because i am repeatedly on the front line of battle and always under attack, its because i am bl00dy good at defending my villages and killing enemy nukes and nobles.

Ivanvk is another who demonstrated that time and again in the BANG! ORC war. So its not just a matter of i am attacked so I score ODD, its a matter of I defend so I score ODD.

I guess I also managed to attract the attacks deliberately. I am confident in my defence (with the aid I receive from tribemates and allies) so for example in the PNX sector of our war, i spent a month preparing by nobling around 10 or 12 barbarian villages in k25 to put myself in their faces - hence i was mass attacked - oh joy, what fun!!!

LOL

DeletedUser

OF course ODD aint completly passive.. but it also happens that you might start sorrounded by noobs and althought you defend well.. defending from spears dosnt really boost your ODD. :p.. Same can happen with ODA when striking mixed villages.

Althought having 50% moral also afects the ODA growth.

But i agree with Stal. If you want to rise your ODD is as simple as nobling a village in the core of the enemy and stack it. (and keep walls as high as posible :p)

jakeeboy

i suppose you are right Jurasu, although i would say ODD is not entirely passive (in the sense of out of your control)

I for example am the original ODD whore, however this is not just because i am repeatedly on the front line of battle and always under attack, its because i am bl00dy good at defending my villages and killing enemy nukes and nobles.

Ivanvk is another who demonstrated that time and again in the BANG! ORC war. So its not just a matter of i am attacked so I score ODD, its a matter of I defend so I score ODD.

I guess I also managed to attract the attacks deliberately. I am confident in my defence (with the aid I receive from tribemates and allies) so for example in the PNX sector of our war, i spent a month preparing by nobling around 10 or 12 barbarian villages in k25 to put myself in their faces - hence i was mass attacked - oh joy, what fun!!!

LOL

Also when you take a a hard fought village, they aren't going to be happt and are going to want it back...

MichielK

Nice maps, very informative :icon_biggrin:

I think it is clear that C² has more big players and less big-ODA players. This does not mean that they are not as good, but that they have been in less active wars.

Just to clear up any misunderstandings...do you mean that:

A) C²'s wars have been less active, or
B) C²'s wars had "normal" activity but there simply have been less of them?

I'd agree with B, but probably not A. Same "quality" wars, just less of them (only one that counts in the grand scheme of things, really).

DeletedUser

yeah I indeed meant B, you guys just had less wars in the past.