ODA- Good or Bad?

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
ODA is not inherently bad. It's certainly not inherently good either.

Stunting your growth is bad.

Stunting your growth is often caused by losing all of your troops chasing ODA.

In a truly ideal world I'd have 0 ODA, not because I'd never need to attack, but because I'd never get spiked and none of my neighbors would make troops.

Alas, such a perfect area is likely to never exist, as such some ODA is pretty much inevitable.

The people arguing that you need to clear farms to do well though are for the most part wrong.

You almost never need to do so.

Farms may need to be cleared, but it doesn't mean you need to be the one losing troops in the process.

I typically scout all my neighbors as soon as BP drops. I then clear the ones that have next to no troops (like, quest troops and nothing else, the ones that I lose less than 5% of my total troops to clear).

I then keep an eye on my area via tribalwarsmaps.com and look for people that either stop growing or gain ODD. When they do either of these two things I scout them. This way when other people near me clear farms I am able to quickly notice and farm the farms they cleared.

A typical startup for me is that around the time I reach academy I will be rank 1, and rank 1,000-1,500 ODA.

Forget the stats and just clear your area. Look to catch them offline so no militia is involved and with barracks catted down they are an easy farm. Do however keep their hq below 15 just in case they get nasty and start tearing down the mines. If you gain oda so be it but the real object is to have extra resources available.

Learn to play before spouting utter nonsense.

"Clear your area" is one of the most sure-fire ways to stunt your growth - both by losing troops and by making your future noble targets stop growing. I want my neighbors to grow fast, them growing faster means larger conquers for me down the road.

Last edited:

blablablablablabla

[spoil]ODA is not inherently bad. It's certainly not inherently good either.

Stunting your growth is bad.

Stunting your growth is often caused by losing all of your troops chasing ODA.

In a truly ideal world I'd have 0 ODA, not because I'd never need to attack, but because I'd never get spiked and none of my neighbors would make troops.

Alas, such a perfect area is likely to never exist, as such some ODA is pretty much inevitable.

The people arguing that you need to clear farms to do well though are for the most part wrong.

You almost never need to do so.

Farms may need to be cleared, but it doesn't mean you need to be the one losing troops in the process.

I typically scout all my neighbors as soon as BP drops. I then clear the ones that have next to no troops (like, quest troops and nothing else, the ones that I lose less than 5% of my total troops to clear).

I then keep an eye on my area via tribalwarsmaps.com and look for people that either stop growing or gain ODD. When they do either of these two things I scout them. This way when other people near me clear farms I am able to quickly notice and farm the farms they cleared.

A typical startup for me is that around the time I reach academy I will be rank 1, and rank 1,000-1,500 ODA.[/spoil]

I guess this has been said like 15 times now in this thread, but never this explicit. I just want to add, you can't live on farming 26 pointers until you get nobles. There surely are times when you need to clear a bigger player for the bigger hauls, but never that big you lose more resources than you get in return.

Having ODA means nothing but the fact you killed a certain amount of troops. If you got a lot of hauls in return and the profit made you build an even bigger army (provided that without clearing him you couldn't be running your barracks/stables 24/7), then it's worth is. Did you lose resources/time in the process, then you made the wrong decision and you only got some ODA points that in the end don't even matter as they are neglectable (idk the word) to clearing stacked villages with your tribe.

And I love how you say you going to be rank 1 ;)

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I guess this has been said like 15 times now in this thread, but never this explicit. I just want to add, you can't live on farming 26 pointers until you get nobles.

Yes you can. It's not always in your best interest to do so, but it can certainly be done. I've farmed literally nothing but barbs in the past and still managed to be rank 1.

And I love how you say you going to be rank 1 ;)

Technically I did not claim I'd be rank 1 this world.

I am indeed rank 1 on a typical world.

I have been rank 1 on 21 worlds, which to the best of my knowledge is more than anyone else in TW history.

I am not always active enough to be rank 1 when solo (but have been rank 1 solo 8 times),but out of the 14 worlds I have ever co-played on I have been rank 1 on 13 of those 14. The only time I ever co-played and did not reach rank 1 I reached rank 2 after starting a week late.

I don't make silly claims I can't back up, but a typical world for me if active does result in me being rank 1. There may be very few people that can make such a claim without lying in the process, but I am most certainly one of them.

Last edited:

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
You mean like... 63? :lol:

I was solo on W63, and was rank 1 for the majority of the early stage of the world. I may not have kept it from the co-played accounts permanently, but that certainly doesn't mean I am never able to do so.

It's quite difficult to sleep for 8 hours and stay ahead of 24/7 accounts. I'm not denying that. I think 13/14 ratio though of being rank 1 when co-playing largely speaks for itself that when my activity is equal to that of my most active competition that I grow faster than they do nearly every single time.

Are you even on 64?

Clearly: 13543 ALessonInPointWhoring 123 1 123

Last edited:

hanibalii

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I believe he was sick or something on w63.

No, I merely quit logging in.

I am however not really seeing how I "failed". Is everyone who was previously rank 1 on a world, but isn't currently somehow a failure?

Not everyone whom joins a world does so with the intention of trying to play it till the day it ends.

hanibalii

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
No, seriously, I believe you.

I simply corrected him because I don't make untrue excuses, nor would I like others to make them for me.

Being "sick" as an excuse for doing poorly would never be an excuse unless I was hospitalized, which I most certainly was not.

I believe we all play TW for the same reason.

No, not to world hop.

To have fun.

Fun though is subjective, what is fun for you is not necessarily fun for me and vice versa. Judging from your signature you aim to play worlds until they end, I do not. I thoroughly enjoy startup and early nobling. I also enjoy experimenting with strategies that I've either never seen used (or never seen used well), or simply those I've never used before myself. I derive great enjoyment from experimentation. Tried and true is effective, it might even be the most effective route to a given goal, but it's not the most fun route in my eyes.

hanibalii

Shall we get back on topic...
oda is good in small doses at this point. Agree? Disagree?

DeletedUser

I simply corrected him because I don't make untrue excuses, nor would I like others to make them for me.

Being "sick" as an excuse for doing poorly would never be an excuse unless I was hospitalized, which I most certainly was not.

Meh khick told everyone you were ill.

And hanibilii is mac btw :x

ALessonInPointWhoring

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Shall we get back on topic...
oda is good in small doses at this point. Agree? Disagree?

More or less my argument would be:

How much ODA you have means very little, and is inherently neither good or bad.

What determines whether the ODA you have was worth gaining or not is how many troops you have currently compared to how many you might have had you avoided gaining ODA.

Clearing is more useful early on as well than later on, for a very basic reason.

It takes a while to obtain 24/7 constant queues. When you do not have 24/7 constant queues clearing is more profitable since the new farms you make may help you obtain 24/7 queues.

Once you have 24/7 queues though there is much less to gain from new farms.

It basically boils down to: I need 100,000 res to run all queues every day (arbitrarily chosen number, not an actual calculation of some sort), if I have 45,000 to spend currently then an extra 15,000 may be worth losing some troops over since that'd equate to an extra 3.6 hours of troop production per day.

If on the other hand I'm currently farming 250,000 res per day and only need 100,000 of that to run constant queues then an additional 15,000 is much less likely to be worth losing troops to obtain.

Last edited:

hanibalii

Yes, but that should be cleared with axes, while your lc (or most of them) are out farming. Am I right?

blablablablablabla

May I just say that you have been gifted a talent of explaining complicated things that I and, I am sure, other people could never type/get out of their mouth. Might be a little more careful on the numbers though, 150,000 excess resources a day is quite lot when you only need 100,000.