On Victory

DeletedUser92

Well, folks, we're all pretty amped about this war. We've been declared on, and since I haven't gotten to write a declaration I figured I'd do it in this format. And while I know some passions are running high, lets try to put that aside. We can all point fingers at things other people disagree with, but lets try to put that aside for a minute and examine why someone plays this game. Hopefully you guys, whether you're in THE, BD, Phoenx, DECIDE, or another tribe, will join me in this little examination.

Many of us play for social reasons; we love our teammates and we love working with them, so we stick together. Many of us play because they want to win – they're out there to take someone down. Then there's the guys who play just to be a thorn in someone's side; they might be going down, but they're gonna get someone special before they go. There are also those who play for the challenge; they don't care if they win or lose, they care about having a go of it. There's also dozens of other reasons people might play, but those cover the broad spectrum of it. As long as you're getting what you want out of the game, that's your "victory" – that's why you play.

Me? I'm that latter sort. I love my team, and I love victory. I have my rivalries, but in the end it comes down to the challenge. I have a great real-life example of this, in fact, but it means going back in time. From 5th grade to 10th I played Lacrosse. I was really, really eh at the game; I had my moments, but most of them were achievements in the noble field of warming benches. Maybe it was competition with future NFL All-Pro classmates, maybe it was an early inability to catch the ball, but I really only got my chance to play when the game was over. I played for nothing but the fun of playing. Now, I've got a bum knee; had it since a 9th grade football injury, and I wore a knee brace that squeaked, earning the ingenious nick-name “Squeaky” to go on top of dozens of others I had.

So anyway, this one game I'm playing Attack, and I see the ball on the ground and a Defensemen is going to grab it. So I line up a nice hard shoulder check on him, and as I'm getting ready to lay him out...He's laid out, alright. On top of me, by my teammate. And this big, 200 pound mofo is on top of me, and my bad knee? Totally shot. I got up and had to use my lacrosse stick as a cane. I remember looking to my right, seeing my coach screaming at me to “get off the field!,” and I...I laughed. I was limping, I don't know quite how, but when the pass came to me I put the ball in the goal. My teammates cheered even though I couldn't really walk, even though we lost the game something like 12-4. It was my only goal that year, and my last Lacrosse game – I spent a good chunk of the summer laid up after knee surgery to fix the injury. And we loved it.

Y'see, I got a trip to the OR, my team lost, and I suffered a great deal of pain...But I'd given all I could. The challenge was greater than me, my team didn't win or lose because of it, but I felt like I'd accomplished something. I'd taken lumps and I'd come through and done something. Of course, after I recovered I took up Tennis and from being a newbie in 11th grade I finished All-Division in 12th, signaling that I should have just played -that- the whole time, but hey! I can safely say that I got the daylights beaten out of me and that my team went home beaten, but not humiliated, because we proved that win or lose we're not going to knuckle under – we're going to play for the sake of playing.

That's me. That's what I try to bring to THE. With this war, win or lose, there's going to be a fight. The stats are bad right now. I'm not blind to the fact that our enemies performed an excellent strategic move. I give them credit! We can argue about ethics, but logistics are less forgiving – we left ourselves exposed and we're paying the price. But where countless tribes were counted out (Phoenx and Decide being two of them), now THE is being counted out. All I have to say to this thought is simple: Even if we end up needing some season-ending surgery for it, even if the victory isn't ours to take, we're gonna go down swinging and we're gonna enjoy the fact that someone came around that was able to out-play us. To us, I think that's our own "victory."

DeletedUser

A tip of my hat to you JP.

Well said and I agree. It's a game. We are having fun here right? Regardless of which side we are on.

Well said indeed.

Bel

xinryr

It's been one day people. The tribe that held #1 for like ever isn't going to crumble over some stats that don't even constitute the rimming of a single THE member.

Not that you didn't write a good story there JP, but I think even you are overreacting a little bit :/

And it's a war game, the only ethic is to do whatever you please (one cookie for whoever knows who I stole the ethic thing from :3)

DeletedUser

Well written JP. I like it.

I think a player can define their own destiny in a world. Never accepting defeat can go a long way.

DeletedUser

war for all

well i believe this is going to be the best war ever !!!

and all i got to say is good luck (you will need it)
:icon_razz:

DeletedUser

I commend you for a post like this.... however it seems that your looking at your own tribe with a saddened eye.. As if you lost already.. Yes, we caught you with your pants down, but shit happens, i remember in W3, my tribe got caught screwing around.. but ive learned the lesson.. trust no-one, and when you do trust somebody, put them to the kegger test.. we did :p

I do wish you Good Luck however and am quite pleased to see you yourself are going full bore into this.

DeletedUser

Very well said JP. And for the record I certainly don't expect nor want you or your tribe to just lay down and quit. I'm looking forward to the fight.

DeletedUser92

I commend you for a post like this.... however it seems that your looking at your own tribe with a saddened eye.. As if you lost already.. Yes, we caught you with your pants down, but shit happens, i remember in W3, my tribe got caught screwing around.. but ive learned the lesson.. trust no-one, and when you do trust somebody, put them to the kegger test.. we did :p

I do wish you Good Luck however and am quite pleased to see you yourself are going full bore into this.

Ironically, I truly haven't seen THE come alive like this in quite some time. There are some obvious points of concern, but...Well, I think you guys know what I mean.

But am I sad? Perhaps. One way or another, this war is going to change the face of W30. Its been static for so long that motion feels awkward. And like I said, I realize there's every possibility we could lose this one. I don't think we will...But I also know that THE isn't going to be quite the same. Or maybe it is going to be the same, and what it was before this war was merely a diversion from our original form? I don't know. I like to think introspectively about these things, and questions of identity. As a game, Tribalwars is an excellent microcosm through which to examine human nature. When things get tough, some people run. When things get easy, some people fall asleep. Who does what, why; and, with what as their track record? Its interesting. I try to be constant, but even I shift positions, while many don't even consider these things.

Thank you all for your well-wishes...But maybe we can get some of your stories, too?

inflrc

Interesting theme JP, why we play TW? But I would like to add another question: Do we know why we play it?

In my case, it's was something very unexpected for me.

As I like to play strategical games, like chess or risk (from this late I knew about TW) it wasnt any surprise for me to be hooked fast in this game.

Also I like numbers and here there is a lot of them so managing them is really an advantage. And definitely, I like competition and challenges.

I still remember my first world, more than two years ago, asking myself if a tribe was really needed to succeed in this game. Soon I find me in some tribes, knowing people from around the world, knowing their cultures, their lives, interacting daily with them, developing strong bond of brotherhood, of friendship.

Once in this world, I was in a crossroad. I felt that the style of doing things in my tribe wasn't the style I liked it to be, so I had to decide between leaving my friends in DECIDE to play at my own style or to continue with my friends.

As the reason that took me into TW wasn't to socialize or make friends, but to compete in strategic skills, I chose to leave them to try my own style of doing things. What an error. As soon as I left them, I began to feel very bad. What was a motive of daily fun became a motive of a deep sadness. I haven't realized how much I valued their friendship. So I returned to my tribe, DECIDE, my loved family, my parallel life, for whom I am decided to die, to do whatever is at my scope to help them, to help us.

So now, I know why I play TW. First, it's for my friends and second is for the challenge of being better each day. We don't compete with others, we compete with ourselves and I love my tribe.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

im here for the friends i have made in this game and to finally be able to cal myself a major league champion at something I may be bleeding bloodied and bruised but i will swing until i am unconcious THE is my extended family a family i will Never turn my back upon i will do all i can to help you even if it is my own personal destruction

DeletedUser

ahhhh

im here for the friends i have made in this game and to finally be able to cal myself a major league champion at something I may be bleeding bloodied and bruised but i will swing until i am unconcious THE is my extended family a family i will Never turn my back upon i will do all i can to help you even if it is my own personal destruction

who are you ?

DeletedUser

me?

oh im nobody important

im gonna keep that for a secret as some BHers know me

DeletedUser

idiot

me?

oh im nobody important

im gonna keep that for a secret as some BHers know me

well i don't know who you are?
and i suppose i don't really care
but you being ignorant wont get you any where!!!
so if you are going to post at least post something decent
or something we can understand :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

well i don't know who you are?
and i suppose i don't really care
but you being ignorant wont get you any where!!!
so if you are going to post at least post something decent
or something we can understand :icon_rolleyes:

what is that? a haiku or something? lol

DeletedUser

I could ask you the same thing :\

Xiny! You don't know who the POWA is? :icon_eek:

lol

He honestly wasn't asking it to be condescending. He was simply asking because Greg/Korgg/John009/billsmooth is going around anonymously bashing us. And this is supposed to be (at least I think it is) a thread where we are being nice to each other.

xinryr

No, I didn't mean it like that. I didn't know who either of them were and thought it was funny that they were asking each other :D

DeletedUser79042

On Victory
?????????

You must become a politician JP ! :lol: Or an adviser to ... politicians - no joke!

The title of a thread is half the deal. The text - especially if long - many will not even bother to read it...

Nice ... article! I like your writing. I did not ever like your "style" in TW. I give it to you for still staying out here and try to salvage THE's image and ...past. Good job indeed!

BUT WHEN TIME WILL COME AND YOU WILL HIT THE DISBAND KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD IT IS ONLY THEN THAT I WILL FULLY RECOGNISE YOU AS A TRUE PAST LEADER OF THIS WORLD!

I am in no rush. I can wait. I can keep rebuilding. I can keep rolling out my nukes to your members. I am expecting alot more than the puny 170 incomings I got right now. My score was in the thousands when my ONLY true adversary was attacking me.

Hmmm. Back to business now. Good article! :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

Hey.. come on R2... it is a good post, give credit where credit is due...

DeletedUser

Jp, I said I wouldn't waste my time writting here anymore.....but as a respect to you and TO ALL PEOPLE I have met in TW, Loved, respect and disliked (their gameplay)...once again here "meh" that a lot love to dislike!! :)

I first started playing TW due to personal tragedy - and got me addicted!!. I had lots of time.... as I was technically out of job (i was in the stocks exchange) due to my tragedy. It was a race, a passion..in the first course of it's time! I almost live in TW in the beginning...no house works..just the kids and cooking!! Personality clash and my big mouth :) and not being afraid to voice out what i think is wrong even to Tribe leaders is what often gets me into trouble here. I let my RL personality influence me a lot in this game play where a lot shows no scruples - a big mistake! Truth is Truth, and no one can distort that...it all comes out in the end!. I was a website writer as well before my tragedy killed whatever capacity I have for writting..and have recieved death threats from integrists when I am the first to ever dared to write on Gay rights and children's rights in my community!!. Till today, I haven't written a single articles since 2006!!

I play for the Team and for friends and I don't give a damn about glory or points...what I enjoy most about TW is problably the spamming in the Tribes chats and teasing everyone!! You get to meet so many people, share joys and sorrows..laugh together...

I am glad I met a lot of interesting people...for all the flaming this time JP..I know the truth, that's why I recently wrote in the forum just to get facts right!! There are some people who just wouldn't except the truth...if it is not what they think it is...sad indeed!!

I do have lots Disillusionments with TW players (and most of all taking out a tribe, like u said "when their pants are down?" but it's TW and i guess everything is fair!), maybe with some mods too (that slowly de addict me from the game), as some are probably too with me. The most heartbreaking thing that I did here was leaving some of those in B and my real account (my baby, my 2nd love, my kids and family always being the first...)- that I have known for a year or so!! But like we said...lets not get on with that!! I am not here to flame with my last post ever.

Today, I started to work again both in stocks and as a freelance Consultant for companies. And I have my own micro company with 1 employee and am my own Boss and work at my chosen contracts!! Destiny has been wonderful to me in RL amidst my great lost and sorrow!!

I wish every player here good luck and I hope that you all get what you are looking for....remember though sometimes, it's better to have 20 enemies than betraying your own principles!! And whatever we do..somehow wether it be virtual, RL..game play...every actions we do,influence our real life...!!

Victory earned when u meet on Equal footing is Real victory!! My heart felt a pang though..when i saw defenceless vills nobled cause the troops were out supporting a tribesmate!

I will play on...and try to give my best!!!!

Cheers everyone!! Drink and be merry (but don't drink too much)