Open letter to Plight

MichielK

Dear Euthanasia,

Let me start by saying that I'm posting this as an individual player, not as tribal diplomat or member of the C² council. As you know, our tribe allows everyone to speak freely and on their own accord, without the need for 'permission' or 'review'. In this post, I'm exercising that right, but I wanted to make it clear that the opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily C²'s opinions...merely my own. I also want to make it clear that my intent here is not to 'bash' or 'attack', but simply to point out an issue that bothers me and should bother you. I know some are fond of dismissing everything I say as propaganda, but if you read the full post with an open mind I think you'll find that I am both accurate and fair in my assessment. What you do with it is your own choice.

Those of you who have read my forum posts over the years know that I've always been a fan of Plight and their theme of Euthanasia. I always found it a highly intriguing and versatile concept, and admired the way it made its way into your politics, warfare and internal affairs. Because of this, it was clear from very early on that the presence of Plight added something to W16 beyond being 'just another big tribe'. The consistent use of this theme made your tribe stand out, gained you respect and enhanced your reputation. It's been a valuable asset to you in-game, as well as a factor that every member of Plight could be proud of. Even if you didn't end up being one of the two last tribes standing, being part of Plight would've meant something purely based on the shared history and culture.

Why would you throw that away?

In the past week, your tribe has invited three new players. The best of the lot once went 4 months without a conquer and takes small barbs most of the time. The next one spent 6 months without taking a village, and was in fact eaten once already. The third one has a mere 50K ODA, and has never taken a defended village. All three of them are well under 1 million points, making them some of the smaller and less active players left on this world.

This is not the first time either. Earlier this year you invited two other players that made me raise my eyebrows. At the time, I figured there must be a good reason for such unusual invitations; perhaps the accounts had a new owner, or were played by someone who showed renewed interest in the game, etc. However, one of these players still has only 145K ODA, and the other simply ate inactives until earlier this week and is now in the process of being eaten himself.

You are a tribe at war. This is the last war of W16, so there will be no ceasefires, NAPs, third parties jumping in, etc...you are fighting for survival. I highly doubt that these five players will help you achieve that goal. Instead, these invitations reek of mass-recruiting, a practice that you lambasted others for throughout the existance of your tribe, and for good reason. Inviting them shows that you are no longer merciless, and no longer in the business of euthanising those that are unworthy. Inviting them diminishes the achievement of those players, past and present, who joined Plight in a time when being invited to Plight actually meant something.

For those of you who think I'm saying this because I'm biased, don't worry...I won't ask you to take my word for it :icon_wink: Here are some quotes from people in your (former) leadership from around the time that you joined the war against C²:

• "It's not about opposition, remember? Euthanasia. Its about eliminating those who don't deserve to survive."
  • "Those without the heart to play the game deserve to be Euthanized. No matter their tribe. This is not SimCity, and it is not a game where you come to 'play with yourself!'"
  • "Euthanasia means ridding the world of the unworthy.... even if those unworthy end up being our own."
When W16 ends, all each of us will have to look back on are the friendships we made, the fun we had and the honor and respect we've earned along the way. The people I quoted understood that. They cared more about the identity, reputation and legacy of the tribe they built than about adding less than 1% to the tribal village total. Whoever made the decision to invite these people probably prolonged the war by a couple of days, but did it at the expense of trampling on everything Plight used to stand for.

Being part of Plight always meant something; it was a sign of honor, skill, ruthlessness and dedication. Invitations like this reduce what it means to be part of Plight for everyone in the tribe to basically being alive and not in C² at the same time. Doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? Losing the final war of the world won't cost you a bit of honor, but losing your tribal identity is a whole different story. Wouldn't you rather look back on this world later and know that you were a unique tribe, not only for what you did but also for how you did it? Don't you owe that to the people who built your tribe and made it into what it is today?

And yes, this bothers me. Enemy or ally, win or lose, what we do here should be something we can eventually look back on fondly. I'm proud to be part of the world that hosted the brilliance of CND, Plight's philosophy of euthanasia, C²'s carnage, baumir's solo run, Axl's skill, Lamarth's southern demolition derby, etc. Succeeding and surviving in a world like that is an achievement for all of us to be proud of, and I refuse to stand idly by while another major tribe gives up their ideals and identity in an effort to prolong the inevitable.

And you know what? Neither should you. For those that remain unconvinced, I'll end this letter with one last quote a quote from one of your former leaders:

"That's what we needed war for... to flush out the unworthy. Euthanasia begins at home."

Best regards,

Michiel K

DeletedUser

Dear MichielK

a tribe is a lot like its leaders, plight's original leaders like Socrates and Seagryfn were hardcore, and as such the tribe was incredibly hardcore

now its led by the 2 biggest drunkards on w16. haza is the ex-duke of the hardest drinking and most inactive tribe w16 has ever seen, the IRA. And Rj has been dossing since day 1 and he only attacks when sober. so we've gone from hardcore to fully awesome... what else did you expect to happen? :lol:

love from Haza,
(head of the Euthanasia reet cool whiskey and darts team UK division)

and,

RJGall,
(cleaning up after Haza teh Great's shenanigans since Aug 09)

ps. we have our reasons and if you have not figured it out yet... more fool you

xxxxx

DeletedUser

Powerful words turned into empty thoughts, in my opinion. In one ear and out the other, that's how Plight will deal with this.

MichielK

Dear Haza,

If a tribe is doing well, the mark of a good leadership change is that nobody notices the difference. That's not the case here.

Whether or not the leaders are 'hardcore' is not the issue here. Plight was formed based on a specific philosophy, and recent actions show that this philosophy no longer determines the course of action taken by the tribe. Given the fact that the concept of euthanasia got Plight to being one of the last two tribes standing, this was a successful concept. Given the recent war stats, the new concept is not.

While I understand that different leaders can bring different things to a tribe, this change goes into the root of what Plight used to be all about. It's not a change from large ops to guerrilla warfare, or a change from dictatorship to council-based leadership. It's a change from Plight to some new tribe that simply has the same name. Given what Plight has achieved and what they brought to W16 as a whole, I think that's a shame, and I suspect many of the older players agree.

The same happened to HRV in a way. They spent years building a reputation and a way of doing things that helped them become one of the top four tribes, and in the face of a major war they dropped their principles and took actions completely incompatible with what they stood for. To many, HRV was known for it's internal loyalty and strong team spirit, which was subsequently thrown away in favor of internal power struggles and mass-recruiting of offworlders. The short-term benefits (if any) did not outweigh the long-term damage caused. In the end, they lost the war either way, but they lost much of the respect they had earned over the years along the way. This was unnecessary, and I am hoping Plight will not go the same route.

You're free to ignore what I say and continue on the same path, but think to yourself about whether or not this is a path you want to take. The effect on your chances for survival will be minimal. The effect on your legacy and reputation as a tribe will not.

Best regards,

Michiel K

P.S. You did the same thing in January, and it turned out poorly. This time will be no different. You may have your reasons, I simply doubt they're very good ones.

DeletedUser83725

Dear MichielK

a tribe is a lot like its leaders, plight's original leaders like Socrates and Seagryfn were hardcore, and as such the tribe was incredibly hardcore

now its led by the 2 biggest drunkards on w16. haza is the ex-duke of the hardest drinking and most inactive tribe w16 has ever seen, the IRA. And Rj has been dossing since day 1 and he only attacks when sober. so we've gone from hardcore to fully awesome... what else did you expect to happen?

love from Haza,
(head of the Euthanasia reet cool whiskey and darts team UK division)

and,

RJGall,
(cleaning up after Haza teh Great's shenanigans since Aug 09)

ps. we have our reasons and if you have not figured it out yet... more fool you

MK

do you know how to read?? plight was lead by drankard so what do you expect?? we love to drink so we are all drank... better talk to somebody who are not drank.. hik hik:icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted: can you give me wisky or tequila or even vodca.... hehehehehe

DeletedUser78416

i dont see why you care your in C2 not plight

Probably for much like the same reason I chose to separate myself from what was going on inside LSHRV/SF. Some people play games to waste time, some play them seriously. This is not a game you play to waste time. If you've ever, as a player, set an alarm to wake up to snipe or send nobles...if you've ever been late for work because you had to tag incomings...if you've ever once even balanced your resources...you have a hint of compassion for the outcome of your actions. For me, this game is a huge waste of time, but there is an end in sight. After that end I don't have to play anymore, although a speed round or two every now and again would be fun. The point is, you can vest your time and make it worth something, or you can play sim city and have nothing to show for the countless hours spent on here. I am the former, where I want my time to result in something positive. Call it a competitive nature, but the bottom line is I didn't spend years playing this game just to say 'who cares' in the home stretch.

I slightly disagree with the outcome of =HRV=...from the onset of the war, the decisions made were not made by any originals, I can promise you that.

But anywho...the proof is in the pudding. C² has stuck by their guns and because of that are the dominant tribe. See what was once the empire that euthanasia was, to now being ran by an excuse of 'we're too drunk' is just silly. I gather you're not being literal when you say that, or at least I hope not.

monsterbro

so if you ever been late to work because you had to tag incoming all i have to say is LOL u need help

DeletedUser54400

Michiel,

A very well written letter, finally something worthy of actually being posted on the forum. I would love to elaborate on this to a much greater extent then i will now however i prefer my dinner not completely burned.

For the most part i cannot help but to agree with what you have presented to us. The tribe of Euthanasia is no longer the equivalent of its philosophical namesake, truth be told it has not been that for quite some time. The large influx of foreigners from both other worlds and other tribes on this world has unfortunately made the tribe a weakened species, desperately grasping to whatever straw it can find to extend its survival. I'll leave the extended how and why of this strange creature for a later date.

The true question at hand, the answer to which is apparently more eagerly awaited in C², is can the wounded animal get back to its roots and show its true face one last time before dying to carnage in honor ? The potential is most certainly there. It would require an internal bloodshed on a scale much larger then our previous civil war, those now clinging to their worldly possessions in despair would have no choice but to adapt or die. The masses of then fleeing residents would die in a carnage that would even make the most battle hardened C² members look away in agony.

It takes only one man willing to step up and rally those who for one final time wish to euthanize the undeserving. Plight still has the man who is capable of this in its ranks, the question is will he take that step ?

I for one would relish the chance to join in such a scenario

MichielK

Monsterbro, I've already mentioned a few reasons why I care, but here's a very simple one: I have friends in Plight, and think they deserve better than to be put in the same category as those 5 members I've mentioned. Inviting people who are clearly not up to Plight's standards makes the value of being a Plight member lower for everyone else.

Cedok, I know how to read. You're not honestly expecting me to accept "we're too drunk to care" as a valid explanation, are you?

As Gammy mentioned above, TW is not a game you play to goof off for a few minutes. It's a game that gets better and more interesting if you take it more seriously. Those who just goof off get nobled out quickly or lose interest early on; those who take it seriously find hidden depths in the game that keep them coming back. Due to the strategy and psychology involved, I'd compare TW to a game like Risk or poker...quit acting like it's beer pong.

Qoffee, thank you for a serious response. It sounds logical that the cause of the problem is the influx of new members who do not share the same standards as the old Plight members do. This increases inactivity, reduces tribal loyalty and the quality of teamwork, etc.

This is similar to the problem that did HRV in; as much as some like to argue that their actions were the only possible response to their inactivity problems, they don't seem to realise that mass-recruiting creates inactivity problems to begin with. There is no doubt in my mind that HRV would have lasted longer, fought harder and kept their reputation intact if they simply culled their numbers and fought as a smaller but more high-quality group. C² has done well against tribes with many more members for years now, and this is in large part due to the fact that it's easier and more fun to fight if you can count on all your tribemates rather than just a few.

Your response sounds very much like the Plight of old, and it's good to hear that those voices are still present now. Whether it will be enough to restore the reputation, honor and respect that Plight has earned over the years remains to be seen...these days, many people seem to be looking for the easy way rather than the right way.

Best regards,

Michiel

Last edited:

monsterbro

Ok im going be honest right here since im not in great mood. If you wanted to help Plight with its problem Mk you can just stop talking on the forums that would be great and help us lot

MichielK

Ok im going be honest right here since im not in great mood. If you wanted to help Plight with its problem Mk you can just stop talking on the forums that would be great and help us lot

I didn't create this issue by pointing it out, nor did I make it worse with my post. All I did is make it visible. If this annoys you, don't kill the messenger...fix the problem.

MichielK

this problem doesnt annoy me you annoy me to the extreme

Sounds like a clear case of mixed up priorities to me. Now quit derailing this thread by going after me; I don't think many will be fooled by your transparent attempts to downplay the message by criticising the messenger (and those that are fooled by it probably missed the point I was making anyway).

DeletedUser78416

this problem doesnt annoy me you annoy me to the extreme

How old are you? I act like a goober on here by choice, not by involuntary response. I would never do or say the things I say on here in real life because Im just not that type of person. I can be blunt, I normally don't sugarcoat things and I prefer the 'stop talking about it, and be about it' method.

Where does it say in the rule book that you have to read every post, and furthermore are not allowed to hit ignore?

Those that often want to be heard or seek attention will make it so.

You do realize that if you don't like what someone says you can simply not respond, right?

The gist of the matter with Plight, much like what happened with =HRV= is that there were 4 star generals at the helm, which got replaced by privates and corporals. The transition from an organized empire to that of a disorganized daycare is all that is being said. And like before, if you don't like it, change it.

I didn't like what was going on inside LSHRV, I stuck around for as long as I could bear, then I hit the road. I could have faced a more severe outcome from my departure, but I guess in an ironic nutshell, I was blessed with being surrounded by folks that don't play the game like I would. If I was them, I would have attacked myself long ago.

So, stop crying about being forced at gunpoint to read a post...

monsterbro

Stop playing stupid we all know why you made this and for people that dont get it like gammy i feel sorry for those people. For gammy after reading the part ignore couple thing well thats were i stopped since you just keep talking about things no one cares about

Last edited:

DeletedUser

For the first time ever I have place someone on my ignore list. Congratulations monsterbro!