Petition Regarding Signatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

i believe that with more space for sigs, we can add more stuff.
Wow! Really! I don't believe you. Are you absolutely sure about this?
i believe that with better sigs people would be interested more and would find more chances of showing off their tribe to the forums.
You do realize that a very significant portion of the pictorial sigs here are based around a tribe, so that point is already true and increasing the height wouldn't change that.
i believe that more people who play TW would join the forums as interest would be created.
Why? How is the height of the sig related to this? So far this would only seem to apply to those interested in making the sigs, not those interested in actually using the forums. As has already been said, such people would be better off going to a forum centered around graphic design.
i believe what Liquid C said that writing bunch oof 5 lines is damn annoying and plain than a very good looking sig.
So you find it less aesthetically pleasing, but why is that bad for the community? There are far more important things than how esthetically pleasing a person's signature is. On top of that, the height limit on the signature has absolutely no correlation to the issue, since if the height were increased it would meant that other people would just have that much more text in their signatures so those who want pictures will have pictures, and those who want text will have text.
i want to question you servy. you say that the forums is only for TW,right? then why in the world is there a thread called Off Topic???? WHY? according to you, this forum should only be about TW, so close OT then! people can go to other forums which are related to other stuff and talk about OT's over there. IF OT's are allowed, THEN BIGGER SIG SIZES SHOULD ALSO BE ALLOWED. thats my point, i am not challenging you, but i would like an answer.
I didn't say that this forum is ONLY for TW, I said that it's primary purpose is for TW. The existence of an offtopic forum doesn't detract from those who wish to discuss aspects of tribalwars in places of the forum; what matters is that people discuss offtopic issues in the offtopic forums, and not elsewhere. In fact, the existence of the offtopic forums is, in part, to help mitigate the offtopic posts in those forum sections that are directly related to TW. Since the offtopic forums help keep the ontopic sections cleaner they help make the forum as a whole better serve those interested in discussing issues about TW, thus helping the forum serve its purpose.

Increasing the sig size would hurt the usability of the forums for those here to discuss TW, not help it.

DeletedUser

*Players should be increasing their attention spans and intellect so that they look at a post rather than a sig. If they are so mentally unstable that they can't read a bit of text, that's their issue. A signature does not detract from the content of a post, stop saying it does.
Where did I ever say that the signature detracted from the content of the post? I never said that. I said that it makes the readability of the posts in general more difficult, not that it detracted from the content.

Players should be interested in the thread they are looking at, and should also simply see the sig after they have finished reading the post. I, personally, look at someone's sig once, if it is new, and have never really looked at it again.
And yet even though you're only going to look at that signature a single time you are forever going to have to skip over it after every single post of that player's that you read. It does add to the scrolling that you need to do, but even more so is that it breaks up the flow from one post to the next, and that damages readability.
The fact of the matter is, 20 - 40 pixels more of image won't distract people any more than our current sigs do. Please servy, I know you are a good guy, stop being stupid. Be reasonable.
Seriously?! Have I not mentioned this several times already (as have others). You can't just say it's no big deal and have it be so. Your opinion on the matter doesn't make it fact. On top of that it's a self defeating argument, because if 20-40 pixels can't be any more distracting than the current size then how can it be any more graphically appealing? You can't have it both ways. (Not that the latter really matters for the purposes of my argument.)

DeletedUser

And yet even though you're only going to look at that signature a single time you are forever going to have to skip over it after every single post of that player's that you read. It does add to the scrolling that you need to do, but even more so is that it breaks up the flow from one post to the next, and that damages readability.

Right, because having to literally STOP AND READ someone's sig doesn't interrupt the flow of the posts. I'd say that text would hinder readability than a picture that you can be certain is not part of the actual post.

Kash2Smash

You do realize that a very significant portion of the pictorial sigs here are based around a tribe, so that point is already true and increasing the height wouldn't change that.
Why? How is the height of the sig related to this? So far this would only seem to apply to those interested in making the sigs, not those interested in actually using the forums. As has already been said, such people would be better off going to a forum centered around graphic design.
So you find it less aesthetically pleasing, but why is that bad for the community? There are far more important things than how esthetically pleasing a person's signature is. On top of that, the height limit on the signature has absolutely no correlation to the issue, since if the height were increased it would meant that other people would just have that much more text in their signatures so those who want pictures will have pictures, and those who want text will have text.

I didn't say that this forum is ONLY for TW, I said that it's primary purpose is for TW. The existence of an offtopic forum doesn't detract from those who wish to discuss aspects of tribalwars in places of the forum; what matters is that people discuss offtopic issues in the offtopic forums, and not elsewhere. In fact, the existence of the offtopic forums is, in part, to help mitigate the offtopic posts in those forum sections that are directly related to TW. Since the offtopic forums help keep the ontopic sections cleaner they help make the forum as a whole better serve those interested in discussing issues about TW, thus helping the forum serve its purpose.

Increasing the sig size would hurt the usability of the forums for those here to discuss TW, not help it.

yer servy, i am clearly sure about it..

this answer of urs clearly shows that u are loosing out of points :lol:

i would believe that people with less concentration power would be the ones who would be easily distracted.... i hope you arent one of those mate... i would recommend you do some yoga, helps you concentrate on stuff more..

does the sig below really distract you?

OmegaAccion.jpg

(using Liquid C's sig as an example, hope u dont mind :)

u are just using big words to make your arguement sound much better (i am 15, incase you comment me on behaving like a child), even though your point is clearly based around your thinking. if someone really has a problem with anothers sig then they can always tell them to change their sig... even though someone shouldnt. you are saying that a sig would distract people from the topics whilst there are far more forums than TW which are widely popular and have bigger sig sizes and people do stay on topic.

Last edited:

DeletedUser60981

The readability of posts being more difficult due to 40 more pixels of digital art is the biggest load of **** I have EVER heard. The content, of a post, would. If I type a post like yours, which are generally boring nowadays, I don't feel like reading it. THAT is what detracts from readability. Signatures have nothing to do with it.

Kash2Smash

Where did I ever say that the signature detracted from the content of the post? I never said that. I said that it makes the readability of the posts in general more difficult, not that it detracted from the content.

now u are going back on ur own words.

go search ur posts.. ctrl + f , type in "distract" and check how many times u have mentioned that word in your posts.

dude ur entire absurd arguement is completely based on the word "distraction"

edit: thanks minordisastor :p

okay detraction, my bad, but still , that is your point that a sig would clearly distract people from the original post hence, lowering the importance of the posts... is this ur point or not? lol...because out all of ur posts.. this is what i make out that the size would make matters worse and nobody would be interested in TW topics anymore rather than focus more on gfx.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Kash...not to put the pressure on our side of the argument...

But you said "detract" not "distract".

2 very different things.

DeletedUser

The purpose of these forums is for tribes to show off their e-peen in an epic battle to see who has the largest.
If you aren't interested in discussing TW on these forums that's your choice, as long as you still follow the rules and stay ontopic to the forums that you do post in. However, regardless about how you feel on the subject, the primary subject of these forums is Tribalwars, and that will therefore be what is taken most predominantly into consideration about how the forum is run. As has been said many times in this thread, there are tons of forums that are themed around graphic design, and those forums will cater towards their topics, but we won't here.

Let's assume that 12 people per page have a 120x tall sig:

30507596.jpg

You're right, I'd complain about the valuable-space-taken-up-by-unrelated-content.
First off, you can't assume that only 12 people will have a signature of 120 pixels. Next, that space isn't going to be all grouped together making it easy to just skip over. It's going to be very thoroughly mixed in with the content, and that makes the content stand out less, making it less user friendly. Next, you can't only show the added content. You still need to consider the 80 pixels already there. If there was currently no signature feature at all and the request was to add a 40 pixel max sig, then your example would apply a tad more than it does now, but that's not the case. Adding more to something that's already fairly significant is a very different issue.

Finally, your entire premise here is that it isn't that bad of a problem, but that relies on the assertion that there is a problem to begin with. You are therefore saying that this is hurting the forums, it's just not hurting it much. Why should such a suggestion be implemented? You need to assert that it will HELP the forums, not just hurt it less.

It's a very good thing that sigs are under the main content of the post.
That would only apply if there was a single post per page. A more accurate statement is that the signature is between two posts, and so when going from one post to the next you are forced to skip over the signature, and thus it is in the way.

DeletedUser63403

Uh...i dont want to take servy's side but guys READ BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING. Some of you are not really getting what servy's meaning.

DeletedUser

:icon_neutral: Just you guys wait....when I get back home I'm gonna write an essay on this. It's how I got lots of things approved in school XD

DeletedUser

If you aren't interested in discussing TW on these forums that's your choice, as long as you still follow the rules and stay ontopic to the forums that you do post in. However, regardless about how you feel on the subject, the primary subject of these forums is Tribalwars, and that will therefore be what is taken most predominantly into consideration about how the forum is run. As has been said many times in this thread, there are tons of forums that are themed around graphic design, and those forums will cater towards their topics, but we won't here.

Err, my b. I meant to add that sigs help tribes wave their e-peen around. Larger (and thus better) sigs will help many tribes do this.

I don't know much of a difference that statement makes after the fact, but w/e, I'm ok with it.

First off, you can't assume that only 12 people will have a signature of 120 pixels.

You said it yourself that not that many people have sigs to begin with, so the number is probably less.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

the funny thing is that u still havent answered my question servy :lol:

You have to wait your turn.

Minimal priority? Check the general disscussions of any world (newer worlds generally) and you'll see how mannnny people are wanting to have a good sig under their post.
And what says that the requested signature needs to be overly large and intrusive? You are given 80 pixels, and that is not an insignificant amount of space.
And stupid quotes and sometimes even flamings put as text in sig are not unrelated content?I see many mod's sigs just as unrelated to tribalwars as a sig would be. And if people feel that sigs are unrelevant why dont they use the 'disable viewing sigs' option??
It's all a matter of scale. When it is a sufficiently small amount it is not nearly as much of a problem. As the size grows the problems get exponentially worse while the gains increase far more minimally.

Also, keep in mind that changing the sig size is not going to only apply to people making special graphics, it will apply to anything in the signature, which means that people will be putting more spammy quotes and other unrelated content in their sigs, yes. All the more reason to not increase the size limit if you dislike such content.

Disable sigs if you find them distracting.... I think majority here rather finds sigs to be a nice addition to a page which'd rather look monotonous with a wall of text.
That's true, but only to a point. Yes, adding some extra content can make the page less monotonous, and 80 pixels accomplishes that task. Remember, you are here to assert why an increase in the size will be beneficial, not the existence of signatures to begin with.

DeletedUser63403

If there was currently no signature feature at all and the request was to add a 40 pixel max sig, then your example would apply a tad more than it does now, but that's not the case. Adding more to something that's already fairly significant is a very different issue.
I think when you guys initially decided for a 60/80px sig height, you should rather have considered 100-120px which would have been more reasonable I am pretty sure that if the dimensions are 120 px, no one would be asking for more as that is more of a standard resolution.

Okay.. this thread needs quite a big explanation since the mods are hard to please lol. And it will get it, just in some time.

DeletedUser

Right, because having to literally STOP AND READ someone's sig doesn't interrupt the flow of the posts. I'd say that text would hinder readability than a picture that you can be certain is not part of the actual post.
That's under the assumption that all posts are completely text and don't contain pictures. That is an incorrect assumption.

And, as I have said before, increasing the sig size would mean larger sigs of text just as much as it would mean larger pictures, so your argument hurts your point of view.

yer servy, i am clearly sure about it..
Well, now we know.

this answer of urs clearly shows that u are loosing out of points :lol:
How so? The point I was trying to get across was that you were stating something so completely obvious that it need not have been said, and that it was a waste of words to try to say it. Apparently I was being too subtle for you.
i would believe that people with less concentration power would be the ones who would be easily distracted.... i hope you arent one of those mate... i would recommend you do some yoga, helps you concentrate on stuff more.. if a
It's all relative. I'm not saying that it prevents me from reading the posts, it's simply an annoyance, an inconvenience, not something that's completely awful, but something to be avoided nonetheless as having a good, readable, and usable site is important. That is of course with respect to the smaller proposed changes, but as I have said before, I have been active on plenty of other forums, and many of them have had very large, or even no, sig size limits and some of them were so bad that I seriously had to stop using the forums because they simply weren't readable. The worst were the ones with sigs that would fill up 1/2 a screen or more (some filling an entire screen). Those are extremes, yes, but my point is that the sig size is not some irrelevant fact that can be pushed aside without thought. It really does affect the users, and every little bit matters.

does the sig above really distract you that much?????? i dont think so, so if i would just make it a little bigger hieght wise something like this:

OmegaAccion.jpg

(using Liquid C's sig as an example, hope u dont mind :)

under each post of mine distract you??
Well, your first example contains an animation, so both in fact break the forum rules. I also assume that you meant to use quotes, not image tags for that first one.
u are just using big words to make your arguement sound much better (i am 15, incase you comment me on behaving like a child), even though your point is clearly based around your thinking. if someone really has a problem with anothers sig then they can always tell them to change their sig... even though someone shouldnt. you are saying that a sig would distract people from the topics whilst there are far more forums than TW which are widely popular and have bigger sig sizes and people do stay on topic.
Members shouldn't have to tell other people to change their sigs when they are distracting. The staff members should be doing their job to make the forums usable, and a part of that is making sure that signatures add to, and don't detract from, the forum as a whole. That's why the rule is there and that's why it's going to stay there.

DeletedUser

Well you can. Let us prove it to you.

Where have I stopped you? You shouldn't be making a suggestion in the first place without providing your evidence. If you have to wait until pages 9-10 of your topic to start proving it I'd say you're doing something wrong.

DeletedUser

The readability of posts being more difficult due to 40 more pixels of digital art is the biggest load of **** I have EVER heard. The content, of a post, would. If I type a post like yours, which are generally boring nowadays, I don't feel like reading it. THAT is what detracts from readability. Signatures have nothing to do with it.

So now you're making the same exact argument that I have addressed multiple times, you add in swearwords, try to insult me, and think that it will make your point better? If it didn't work the first two times then what makes you think it will be any more valid now?

Try actually providing facts, evidence, logical arguments, not baseless flames. You might actually not look like and idiot then.

DeletedUser

now u are going back on ur own words.

go search ur posts.. ctrl + f , type in "distract" and check how many times u have mentioned that word in your posts.
'distract' is not the same as 'detract'. The words are similar, I'll give you that, but their meaning is quite different. I have been discussing how the signatures will distract the user, making the forums harder to read, but assuming they still put forth the needed effort they will still be able to read and comprehend the content of the posts, it will simply take that extra effort. Detracting from the content would be actually preventing users from reading the posts, not just making it more difficult.
dude ur entire absurd arguement is completely based on the word "distraction"
No, actually, just one of my major points, that's a far cry from my entire argument. However, what's your point here? Is there something wrong with basing my argument on the word distraction. I have, after all, explained my reasoning, why I feel that it is the case, and provided evidence to support my claims. You have simply said that you don't think it's distracting.

okay detraction, my bad, but still , that is your point that a sig would clearly distract people from the original post hence, lowering the importance of the posts... is this ur point or not?
No, actually, it's not. That's exactly why I corrected you when you claimed that I said that the sigs detracted from the post. I don't feel that it lowers the importance of the posts. (I do feel that the importance of signatures is lower than that of the contents of posts, and that is my reasoning, in part, for not wanting to up the size, but that doesn't mean that if increased it would make sigs more important. That logic is reversed. It is because the sigs aren't important that they won't be increased.)
lol...because out all of ur posts.. this is what i make out that the size would make matters worse and nobody would be interested in TW topics anymore rather than focus more on gfx.
Congratulations, you can make up points and claim that I've made them when in fact I have specifically stated the opposite. You are a master of debate and I am clearly no match.

Come back when you actually have something valid to say that actually supports your claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.