Petition Regarding Signatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I don't seem to be understanding of peoples use of the word "distracting" in this thread,

How the hell is an extra 40x of space distracting? Hell, by your definitions, I find Jirki's sig to be distracting because it's such a massive load of text that I don't want to read after reading all of his posts.

And if 6 lines of text is already 100x high, why not make image sigs the same size?

You can't just say that an extra 40 pixels isn't distracting and have that just be so. Heck there are signatures within the current dimensions that I find distracting, but the larger the limit the worse it gets, and 40 pixels is quite a bit.

By that same logic if 40 pixels is just so small then it ought not to make it any more effective from your point of view either. You can't say that 40 pixels means a lot when you want it to and that it's meaningless where it doesn't support your points.

On top of that you aren't even offering any legitimate reason for the change to be made, you are attempting to say that you disagree with my reasons for disagreeing with you, but since you don't even have a leg to stand on to begin with, and your counter arguments (I'm using 'your' here to refer to most everyone in this topic sharing your opinion as the arguments are virtually identical) are generally baseless claims.

I already explained why I feel there is a difference between a 100 pixel tall picture and lines of text. If you aren't going to read my replies in full then don't respond to them, you'll only embarrass yourself and hurt your point further.

Kash2Smash

I find it completely incomprehensable that practically the only argument given for increasing the sig size is so that people who are making the graphics can make bigger pictures.

Why should anyone on the TRIBALWARS forum care? The only sensible arguments that can possibly be made must relate to the effective use of the forums for their intended purpose.

If you want to make your 550x120 px pictures go ahead, there isn't anyone here that's stopping you, we simply don't want to see it under every single post that you make.

Well, 80 pixels of a picture tends to be far more distracting than 6 lines of text. It's not simply a matter of scrolling, it's about general usability.

The forums that I've been on much that have larger limits are annoying. Half the time I keep seeing people's sigs over and over thinking it's the actual post since it takes up 5x more space and draws the eye more, only to find out that it isn't in fact an offtopic post, but rather just an unrelated sig.

Yes, the vast majority of the users of this forum don't have any signature, and the vast majority of the users of this forum have also made less than 10 posts. Almost any member who is active on the forum for more than a few days has either a signature, or an avatar, or both. As a consequence of that as the sig limit increases it will increase the sig size on most of the posts in the forum (and retroactively as well).

I personally don't look at the names of most posters, almost ever (unless it's relevant to the conversation). I recognize who posts what by their signature or their avatar (usually the avatar) and so disabling either of those options would hurt me far more than it would help, but that doesn't mean that a bigger signature would make the person any more recognizable (at least in a positive sense, though it may make them more recognizable simply as the person with an annoying sig).

Having read this thread I'm almost regretting that this forum was even put up in the first place. It seems to have made it difficult for you to understand that the purpose of this forum is for Tribalwars. On top of that the number of illegal sigs that I've seen has more than doubled in the few days since this forum has come out.

To those of you (many of which seem to be actively posting in this section) who seem to think that the best way to get the limit increased is to ignore the rule, all I can tell you is that all you're doing is emphasizing to me (and apparently Jirki as well) all of the negative effects of overly large signatures on this forum, thus making it that much more unlikely that this limit will be increased.

dude??? this is weird.
If you want to make your 550x120 px pictures go ahead, there isn't anyone here that's stopping you, we simply don't want to see it under every single post that you make.
nobody stopping us????? we get freakin infractions! or sometimes banned for repeating the same mistake! and how da heck is this a distraction???? these are just sigs.. we arent asking for animated sigs, those would be distraction.. these arent

ignore the rule

ignore the rule :icon_eek: if we were really ignoring the rule then we would have been having bigger sigs istead of having a petition! we are trying to convince u guys, that is not ignoring the rules, we are trying to make you change the rules.

tribal wars is a game, once again i am sayinf that its is not some official serious stuff in RL. TW is just a game and the forum is based on the game, so really, dude, why not have funky sigs? Tribal wars just isnt bout the game, but the forums also enable people to show their qualities. how many people in the forums are really talking bout the game??????? only some active users like me, others are in the off topic , general discussions asking for sigs... sorry mate, not being offensive or something,but if you dont like sigs.. that doesnt mean others dont like it as well.

DeletedUser

You can't just say that an extra 40 pixels isn't distracting and have that just be so. Heck there are signatures within the current dimensions that I find distracting, but the larger the limit the worse it gets, and 40 pixels is quite a bit.

By that same logic if 40 pixels is just so small then it ought not to make it any more effective from your point of view either. You can't say that 40 pixels means a lot when you want it to and that it's meaningless where it doesn't support your points.

On top of that you aren't even offering any legitimate reason for the change to be made, you are attempting to say that you disagree with my reasons for disagreeing with you, but since you don't even have a leg to stand on to begin with, and your counter arguments (I'm using 'your' here to refer to most everyone in this topic sharing your opinion as the arguments are virtually identical) are generally baseless claims.

I already explained why I feel there is a difference between a 100 pixel tall picture and lines of text. If you aren't going to read my replies in full then don't respond to them, you'll only embarrass yourself and hurt your point further.

40pixels. That won't make it more 'distracting'. Bright, colourful sigs are distracting, be they 700X80 or 700X120. The extra 40pixles gives us more to work with, and making it more artistic and skillful. Now, we are not asking for an increased size to particular. We want a changed size. 550X150. +70px up, and -150px wide. That is, infact, a decrease in size! That gives a more reasonable working area, without it being bigger, nor more distracting. Servy, your argument is completely invalid with this 'distraction' thing you are going on about.

DeletedUser

Oh my God....

The point you are all missing is convenience.

I browse MANY forums which share a common sig size. Now, when TW decides they want to just abstain from this, it means I have to make NEW sigs, rather than happily using the ones I liked. This takes up time, effort and annoys me alot.

INTERCHANGEABILITY .

DeletedUser

dude??? this is weird.

nobody stopping us????? we get freakin infractions! or sometimes banned for repeating the same mistake!
I said nobody was stopping you from making them, they are simply stopping you from putting them in your signatures. You aren't going to be infracted for any pictures that you make, ever, you can make pictures thousands of pixels by thousands of pixels if you enjoy it, you just need to keep them off of these forums if it's not appropriate. Virtually everyone in support of this request so far in this topic has already shown they don't care about anyting besides them making their pictures, and nobody's stopping you from making them. You should really take the time to actually read my replies before posting, along with everyone else in this topic, since you can't seem to understand such a simple difference (and one that I explicitly stated).

and how da heck is this a distraction???? these are just sigs.. we arent asking for animated sigs, those would be distraction.. these arent
Big flashy pictures that have nothing to do with the forum at all; how is that not a distraction?

ignore the rule :icon_eek: if we were really ignoring the rule then we would have been having bigger sigs istead of having a petition! we are trying to convince u guys, that is not ignoring the rules, we are trying to make you change the rules.
And yet there are so many people in support of this petition that have broken the sig rules themselves. It's true, that some haven't, and that specific comment wasn't directed at those who haven't.
tribal wars is a game, once again i am sayinf that its is not some official serious stuff in RL. TW is just a game and the forum is based on the game, so really, dude, why not have funky sigs?
You said it yourself, this forum is about the game, it's not about some funky sigs, it's about the game.
Tribal wars just isnt bout the game, but the forums also enable people to show their qualities. how many people in the forums are really talking bout the game???????
Other than in the offtopic forums all of them, at least primarily, since this is a forum for TW, and that is what people are here to use it for.
only some active users like me, others are in the off topic , general discussions asking for sigs... sorry mate, not being offensive or something,but if you dont like sigs.. that doesnt mean others dont like it as well.
You act as if your choice of signature has no effect on anyone else. Quite the opposite. Your signature effects everyone else more than it does you, since it's other people that are going to be reading your posts, not you.

DeletedUser

I already explained why I feel the size should be changed and won't be repeating them for your convenience. And I have read your post in it's entirety, so I'll just repeat myself briefly:

Everyone sees sigs differently. You, by some act of God, like 100x of text as opposed to some nice looking picture, I like to see said picture and not a bland bit of text. It is unfair that people can crap while people who like to make/use sigs are stuck with a much smaller space.

If you're going to say that you've read through the whole topic, make sure you actually take the time to do so.

DeletedUser63403

Yeah, you can decrease the width if you want. 700*80 = 56k pixels. you can make it to be 500*110 = 55k pixels.... not a tremendous increase in height but still a large improvement from a 700*80 one. And that would make the page any longer.
Now please don't exaggerate and say why you dont want a 280*200 sig (56k pixels)... i know that will largely affect the layout. But 100~120px wont.

EDIT : Can someone enlist the total arguements put up by both sides?

DeletedUser

Oh my God....

The point you are all missing is convenience.

I browse MANY forums which share a common sig size. Now, when TW decides they want to just abstain from this, it means I have to make NEW sigs, rather than happily using the ones I liked. This takes up time, effort and annoys me alot.

INTERCHANGEABILITY .

If this were a forum centered around graphics you might actually begin to have a point, but this isn't so you don't. This is a forum for tribalwars, and that takes precedence. The convenience of the thousands of other people here who want to use these forums easily for their intended purpose is immanently more valuable to us, the staff, than your convenience of not having to spend the extra 5 minutes to crop and/or shrink your sig to comply with the rules.

I can understand the first few very poor arguments being just that, poor arguments, made by people who simply aren't eloquent, but I'm simply shocked that after the significant number of replies there now are that few of them are capable of even reading my replies (and understanding them) and that none of them are capable of providing a single legitimate argument for why this change would be positive for this community. That surprises even me.

DeletedUser

Here's an "argument":

What about tribe sigs? Tribes trying to show their presence in PnP? More space means better attention grabbing sigs.

It's a very crappy argument, but it's true.

Kash2Smash

I said nobody was stopping you from making them, they are simply stopping you from putting them in your signatures. You aren't going to be infracted for any pictures that you make, ever, you can make pictures thousands of pixels by thousands of pixels if you enjoy it, you just need to keep them off of these forums if it's not appropriate. Virtually everyone in support of this request so far in this topic has already shown they don't care about anyting besides them making their pictures, and nobody's stopping you from making them. You should really take the time to actually read my replies before posting, along with everyone else in this topic, since you can't seem to understand such a simple difference (and one that I explicitly stated).

Big flashy pictures that have nothing to do with the forum at all; how is that not a distraction?

And yet there are so many people in support of this petition that have broken the sig rules themselves. It's true, that some haven't, and that specific comment wasn't directed at those who haven't.
You said it yourself, this forum is about the game, it's not about some funky sigs, it's about the game.Other than in the offtopic forums all of them, at least primarily, since this is a forum for TW, and that is what people are here to use it for.
You act as if your choice of signature has no effect on anyone else. Quite the opposite. Your signature effects everyone else more than it does you, since it's other people that are going to be reading your posts, not you.

dude... is some 500x110-120 gonna harm anyone??? i dont think so and it really shouldnt. you have said that the forum is about game.. so if some has a nice looking sig, it really shouldnt harm people, they should just ignore the sigs and post what they have to post. its not like we are putting some explicit content into the sigs that would clearly distract everyone.

okay..... u do realize that forums is one way of publicizing his/her tribe. Most of us have forums related to our tribal themes or our usernames. and big flashy pics, once again we are asking for sig change, not asking u guys to allow us to put flash/animated images into our sigs. my sig doesnt distract anyone (thats wht i think :icon_redface:) . Yes there are some people who create sigs which have nothing to do with their tribes/user id's .... i make sigs like that for people and myself as well, so wht? if we just add a little bit of fun into the forums.

And yet there are so many people in support of this petition that have broken the sig rules themselves.
yes we are werry sorry sir. i got an infraction because i added a line under my 550x80 sig. really,thats a big deal and a line would really distract people, wouldnt it?

DeletedUser

okay..... u do realize that forums is one way of publicizing his/her tribe. Most of us have forums related to our tribal themes or our usernames. and big flashy pics, once again we are asking for sig change, not asking u guys to allow us to put flash/animated images into our sigs. my sig doesnt distract anyone (thats wht i think :icon_redface:) . Yes there are some people who create sigs which have nothing to do with their tribes/user id's .... i make sigs like that for people and myself as well, so wht? if we just add a little bit of fun into the forums.

He said it better than I did, actually :icon_redface:

DeletedUser

Everyone sees sigs differently. You, by some act of God, like 100x of text as opposed to some nice looking picture, I like to see said picture and not a bland bit of text. It is unfair that people can crap while people who like to make/use sigs are stuck with a much smaller space.
That's not an argument for why such a change should be made. You need to state why making the sig limit larger would be advantageous for the forum community as a whole, not just for a very small group of people interested in a topic not at all related to this forum's purpose. Before you can even begin to challenge my arguments you need to first have one of your own. If you're entire argument is that you disagree with me and think that it's unfair then you have no [valid] argument to begin with.

If you're going to say that you've read through the whole topic, make sure you actually take the time to do so.
Please point out in what way I have demonstrated not reading this topic. I have addressed the major points as I have viewed them. If you feel there is something I have left unaddressed the by all means mention it, but don't just claim that i haven't read the topic without saying anything further.

Kash2Smash

That's not an argument for why such a change should be made. You need to state why making the sig limit larger would be advantageous for the forum community as a whole, not just for a very small group of people interested in a topic not at all related to this forum's purpose. Before you can even begin to challenge my arguments you need to first have one of your own. If you're entire argument is that you disagree with me and think that it's unfair then you have no [valid] argument to begin with.

Why i think that our sig dimensions should lbe enlarged.

i believe that with more space for sigs, we can add more stuff. i believe that with better sigs people would be interested more and would find more chances of showing off their tribe to the forums. i believe that more people who play TW would join the forums as interest would be created. i believe what Liquid C said that writing bunch oof 5 lines is damn annoying and plain than a very good looking sig.

i want to question you servy. you say that the forums is only for TW,right? then why in the world is there a thread called Off Topic???? WHY? according to you, this forum should only be about TW, so close OT then! people can go to other forums which are related to other stuff and talk about OT's over there. IF OT's are allowed, THEN BIGGER SIG SIZES SHOULD ALSO BE ALLOWED. thats my point, i am not challenging you, but i would like an answer.

DeletedUser

Stop saying our arguments are invalid, and please give us reasons why.

I have given many, and yet have seen none in return.

Despite the fact that it seems you are incapable of actually reading and understanding my posts I will again summarize a few of the more important points. Hopefully you'll actually pay attention this time around.

* It is completely unrelated to the purpose of the forums, and as such is given minimal priority.
* It makes the forums less usable/legible for users since extra screen space is taken up by unrelated content.
* Larger signatures are more likely to be distracting to a user attempting to easily see the main content of a post.

DeletedUser

Yeah, you can decrease the width if you want. 700*80 = 56k pixels. you can make it to be 500*110 = 55k pixels.... not a tremendous increase in height but still a large improvement from a 700*80 one. And that would make the page any longer.
Now please don't exaggerate and say why you dont want a 280*200 sig (56k pixels)... i know that will largely affect the layout. But 100~120px wont.

EDIT : Can someone enlist the total arguements put up by both sides?

As has been stated repeately, the width of the signature is irrelivant so long as it isn't long enough to stretch the screen on some of the smaller standard screen resolutions. Making the height larger on the other hand greatly affects the usability of the forums, so the entire concept of your argument is flawed in that it is not the total area, in pixels, that matters, but rather the height, so long as the width doesn't exceed 700.

DeletedUser60981

*Players should be increasing their attention spans and intellect so that they look at a post rather than a sig. If they are so mentally unstable that they can't read a bit of text, that's their issue. A signature does not detract from the content of a post, stop saying it does. Players should be interested in the thread they are looking at, and should also simply see the sig after they have finished reading the post. I, personally, look at someone's sig once, if it is new, and have never really looked at it again. The fact of the matter is, 20 - 40 pixels more of image won't distract people any more than our current sigs do. Please servy, I know you are a good guy, stop being stupid. Be reasonable.

DeletedUser

* It is completely unrelated to the purpose of the forums, and as such is given minimal priority.
The purpose of these forums is for tribes to show off their e-peen in an epic battle to see who has the largest.

* It makes the forums less usable/legible for users since extra screen space is taken up by unrelated content.
Let's assume that 12 people per page have a 120x tall sig:

30507596.jpg

You're right, I'd complain about the valuable-space-taken-up-by-unrelated-content.

* Larger signatures are more likely to be distracting to a user attempting to easily see the main content of a post.
It's a very good thing that sigs are under the main content of the post.

Kash2Smash

the funny thing is that u still havent answered my question servy :lol:

DeletedUser63403

Minimal priority? Check the general disscussions of any world (newer worlds generally) and you'll see how mannnny people are wanting to have a good sig under their post.

And stupid quotes and sometimes even flamings put as text in sig are not unrelated content?I see many mod's sigs just as unrelated to tribalwars as a sig would be. And if people feel that sigs are unrelevant why dont they use the 'disable viewing sigs' option??

Disable sigs if you find them distracting.... I think majority here rather finds sigs to be a nice addition to a page which'd rather look monotonous with a wall of text.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.