Philosophy and TW

DeletedUser

So who else thinks that Tribal Wars, and other such online environments, are an ideal location to engage in philosophical debate as to the nature of humanity? I know I do. ^_^

So, to start it off, if it ever does get off...

What do you make of personal reactions in TW? Do you think that they are tainted by the inherent hostility within the environment? (Being a war game afterall.) Or are they evidence of something far less pleasant?

DeletedUser

I think because of the nature of this game, and the title itself, tells it all, tribal wars, side are drawn in the sand, and people side up,no different than real life it seems..

So i see the many harsh reactions, no differant than rl wars..

In this game i think it is even worse than real life for one main factor, we all talk to one another , make friends, then have to sometimes betray our friends for the sake of a war,we betray one another for growth on a one on one basis, in rl, we deal with diplomats, and leaders only of countrys we war or allie with, here we only have to send a mail to meet a member in the enemy.

This alone makes for a very hostile setting..even tho this is only to be a game,people invest years in there accounts and continants of control.Look at some rl sports, people go to games, get mad over a loss now we have riots, and destructuin, over just a game, this is no differant..

DeletedUser

So you think that people found in Tribal Wars act and react no differently than they would outside of the game, and that potentially within the game, they are even more true to themselves?

DeletedUser

This isnt me saying anything about people mate,this is geared towards human nature period, now i do think alot of people here, do stay true to there mates as a rule, but i have seen to man cases, where people do jump ship out of self preservation, now in real life this does occur, as a rule amongst more modernized countries, the third world countries are the ones who, do not lay down there arms easily, which alot of times is due to strong religious convictions,

now i can speak for myself here and be honest, i in rl have made many many friends, and i am a loyalist all the way, but if some one stabs me in the back, or declares some kind of agressive movement against me, yes i am ready for battle fast..same as i do in sports in games, i am a serious person, who plays to win, and do not take it lightly when i am betrayed...ro some one doesnt pull there weight

DeletedUser

So you think that people found in Tribal Wars act and react no differently than they would outside of the game, and that potentially within the game, they are even more true to themselves?

i think i would disagree with some parts (bits in bold). The nice people will act similar as they would in RL, be nice, enjoy them selves ... But imagine a case of bullying, a person that is the result of bullying in RL comes home and is completely angry and like FML ... they might join a game and act all tough and e-bully others to make themselves look much better and feel better ...?

DeletedUser

Considering my own base view of Humanity as being essentially neutral in its morality, I would argue the case that, as a whole, the rules of the universe have changed, when looking through the lens of TW and other such war games. Because they are just that, a war game. Consider the options that you have in this game: you can attack someone, you can 'not' attack someone, and you can do nothing. I seperate not attacking someone and doing nothing, as you don't need to attack another in order to actually be effective. However, the moment that another attacks someone, then that offsets the balance and retaliation ensues, thus degrading into large scale conflicts. That aside though, this game is quite literally life or death, outside of the game, life doesn't work that way. It is not that when I encounter someone down the street, that I befriend them, or I kill them. No. I might say something to them, perhaps a greeting, and then I am on my way again, or, I suppose I 'could' kill them, but that wouldn't be very condusive to an effective society now would it? What would happen? Well, for starters I would have just murdered someone, and the ensuing shitstorm would find me either imprisoned or some other suitable punishment for the horrible 'crime' that I had just commited. Within TW? No, that is nothing to stop at, this is something that occurs every day, and indeed, is expected of you. Thus I do not think that Humanity expresses itself as a voluntarily violent entity within TW, but is instead forced to become one.

DeletedUser

personally i believe the same as CC.

If someone is in a position where they are feeling pushed down or smaller than another person, they'll use the internet as a conduit for expressing their anger and will grow bigger subconsciously to combat those feelings which they are getting in the real world

DeletedUser

I suppose it would depend upon the individual. For example, I personally tend to shrug off most everything that comes my way; and I fail to internally understand why another would vent their frustration upon someone who likely had nothing at all to do with the emotions origin. Why would you not greet someone with a pleasant hello, even if your day faired poorly? I mean, it's not as though they were responsible, or for that matter, that your venting upon them would make you feel better. Perhaps in the immediate short term, but ultimately I would think that it would leave you feeling even worse. Perpetuating a negative emotion in a failing attempt to make oneself feel better is not a very logical course of action.

DeletedUser

i have to agree that it depends on the individual. And when someone feels bad the only reason (in my case) at when i jump at people is when they keep on asking and i said i dont want to talk about it, but i understand later that they were just trying to help :p

But luckily i only feel bad very rarely :D

DeletedUser

So we seem to have a consensus that an individuals variations in regards to emotional and mental stability, play into the actions that they will take when presented to an environment such as TW. (Kind of redundant sounding, but we're getting somewhere.) In particular the possibility of feeling bad about oneself, for whatever reason, be it bullying or otherwise, and that this would tie into a perceived injustice, and a natural course of action would be to react in a negative manner to those around themselves. In a manner of speaking, the bullied become the bullies.

I would argue that though, of course ^_^, as I think it would take a rather unstable individual to reply to bullying, with bullying themselves, or alternatively to simply be crushed.

DeletedUser

Another factor is that in this game as opposed to real life is that people tend to be a little more aggressive because they are not face to face with people, I call it internet toughness.

DeletedUser

Apologizes on the inappropriate location. I also had thought that beginning it there would have more people immediately finding it.

rpgman88

I think it has a lot to do with ego, but also with how you are feeling at that current time. If you've had a bad day irl, you may be more inclinded to get angry at people in this game. As they cannot see you, you are more likely to take your anger out on them. Also, the fact that people are only loyal to the point where they are no longer in a beneficial position can also be an issue. Although people make friends, they can also become enemies at the touch of a button and thus, people are hurt very eaisly. This then sparkes more angry comments and such.

This game is literally what life would be like if you could have cloned troops back in medieval times. You find people right off the beginning of worlds and make alliances and friends with them to basically save your own ass. If you don't, you get farmed or rimmed as people expand and fight for power/dominance. So basically each player is like a feudal lord with the villages as their armies. Rl today is obviously not like that as most of us have lives, friends, jobs (and/or) school, and don't sit down every so often and weigh the pros and cons of attacking and trying to kill someone else :icon_neutral:

I think worlds in the game are better when people settle their differences ingame rather than on the forums or through pms. Your pissed at me? Try to rim me, don't just mouth off on the forums like a slice of noob cake :icon_cool:

DeletedUser

Apologizes on the inappropriate location. I also had thought that beginning it there would have more people immediately finding it.

agree + it would liven the forums up abit more too :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

I think that the enviroment of where the players origanate from will dictate how the act in this game.
also that this game itself dictates some form of hostilaties.but I do think there are some players who are just having fun.
but another aspect to concider is that we are typing not talking and that most time unless your a expearanced writter your emotions and true feelings could be distorted.