Point Whore / Troops Whore / etc.

DeletedUser

Hello Guys,

As I see there's always much talking going about this "whorings".

I would like to make a very short journal how I find this stuff.

There are different Point Whorings and Troop Whorings.

1.) Point whoring to make people fear you

- This is the bad one of two options. People who point whore, because there are some other players near them, and might be threats in future, they start to Point Whore, to make them fear you.
- It's not effective one, and ussualy ends as a really good farm

2.) Point whoring because your able to do so

- Means you don't have any pottentialy threats around you (players quitted, many barbarian village, etc), you can allow yourself to concetrate on building system and resources up
- Players playing this style, ussualy don't forget on Troops and consider making them as many as they think they'll need
- It's a effective way of pointwhoring

3.) Point whoring of beginners

- This is the worst one. This includes only newbies who recently joined TW Community. They only want to get to 1st rank and don't actually know the point of the game
- ENDS = FARM

1.) Troop whoring because you know it's "cool"

- Yes, some players actually do that because they see on Forums that Point Whoring is hammered everywhere and denied.
So they decide to make troops, troops, troops - they rush on barracks and stable + smithy lvls. All good, but they forget on Resources which will be usefull in the middle of the game, when wars will start (who will replace the lost troops?)
- Not effective way

2.) Troop whoring because you need to

- Some players are pushed to Troop whoring because they've: either been already attacked and wiped or are pottentialy attack target. So they need to build troops to be prepared for an attack.
- Not effective way, however with smart playing could get out of this style

Any comments or your ideas, just post.

mattcurr

1.) Troop whoring because you know it's "cool"

- Yes, some players actually do that because they see on Forums that Point Whoring is hammered everywhere and denied.
So they decide to make troops, troops, troops - they rush on barracks and stable + smithy lvls. All good, but they forget on Resources which will be usefull in the middle of the game, when wars will start (who will replace the lost troops?)
- Not effective way

Its ineffectual because getting buildings allows you to build troops more quickly. Losing them should not be an issue until you go to noble, at which point you should be able to clear anyone with minimal damages. And while your in the 1k-2k point range you should be making some res pits, but over all I disagree the res pits won't hinder you too much when rebuilding.

As an example I had the largest village in w34, but very low res pits I decided to acd rush. I mean 7,5,2 low. I was backtimed cleared and catted, but was able to get back to the top 20 wthin two or three weeks I think. Res pits play a role when you stop farming as much other than that I tend to think of them as bonus resources.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Who the hell thinks about points or troop numbers at this stage of the game??

I play my area, need troops to farm, will have more spears if many close farms or make the push to LC if farms are farther away. And I'll go troop crazy if all I have is active players in my immediate area.

As for buildings, same as above, I'll build more resources early if farming is bad to make up for lack of farm pulls, but the idea is to get to LC where it really gets fun.

DeletedUser

Well what if you are a target?

What if somene attacks you and wipes your troops?

You need to have good resource lvl's to replace the lost troops, if you know what I mean :)

Anyway, these are just categories. This is how I put players in. How I divide Point Whoring and Troop Whoring.

mattcurr

You need to have good resource lvl's to replace the lost troops, if you know what I mean :)

Anyway, these are just categories. This is how I put players in. How I divide Point Whoring and Troop Whoring.

Your scaring me geco is supposed to be good, 6 hour trips each way before you leave. Or how ever long you need :/ Done that for years

DeletedUser

Activity is key in all approaches to the game. Either have a sitter, or send your troops out on runs while you sleep or go out to do things. I always send my troops out on runs while I sleep so they're safe, I might lose a little bit of resources but then I know what my foe has for troops and can better play against him/her. (never use a sitter...ever)

Eventually I'll put decent enough defense in to detour anyone from thinking about attacking. The key here is to make sure you're ready to noble before your neighbor, you must dominate your immediate area.

Let me repeat that...you must dominate your immediate area.

DeletedUser

@mattcur: I don't understand what you mean.

I opened this Topic, so that people can see that there are actually differences in Point Whoring and Troop Whoring.

Just for a view, I'm not talking about myself or anyone else in here, just how I have a picture in my head.

And well, I think I can handle anyone for now BP in my area already ended and I got most village as my farms.

mattcurr

Let me repeat that...you must dominate your immediate area.

Your talking about after nobling right? Cause Im a fan of clearing as few people as is humanly possible before that. Now that they always have pussy settings, ie growing barbs.

DeletedUser

@Blackmessiah, I just looked at your area. :icon_eek::icon_eek:

Wow you had a ton of barbs in BP, how are you not much higher?? Do you have a huge army or just not very active??

darkx

Contributing Poster
Reaction score

/facepalm

I have nothing to say :icon_rolleyes: what tribe are you in again?

DeletedUser

Your talking about after nobling right? Cause Im a fan of clearing as few people as is humanly possible before that. Now that they always have pussy settings, ie growing barbs.

I always leave a few to grow, the ones growing fast enough to be reasonable targets. But clear anyone just poking along, since they are nothing but turtles in the making and I'd rather clear them now then face a stacked defense when I have a morale disadvantage against them.

Be even those I leave be, I dominate in other ways, like farming patterns. Limit what they can pull and you'd be surprised how many turn to point whoring in attempting to keep up with you. (maybe you wouldn't be surprised, maybe you already know this) Now the finer details of that I'll keep to myself, but any experienced player probably already has an idea of what I mean.

DeletedUser

Your scaring me geco is supposed to be good, 6 hour trips each way before you leave. Or how ever long you need :/ Done that for years

OK, Yes BM is in Geico. I have told many people we took in players who aren't exactly great and we plan to teach them. I did not count on teaching them the rules of Pnp forums, I apologize for this topic, I can see we have some work to do.

Regards,
Nuke

mattcurr

I always leave a few to grow, the ones growing fast enough to be reasonable targets. But clear anyone just poking along, since they are nothing but turtles in the making and I'd rather clear them now then face a stacked defense when I have a morale disadvantage against them.

Be even those I leave be, I dominate in other ways, like farming patterns. Limit what they can pull and you'd be surprised how many turn to point whoring in attempting to keep up with you. (maybe you wouldn't be surprised, maybe you already know this) Now the finer details of that I'll keep to myself, but any experienced player probably already has an idea of what I mean.

Yea I drain certain areas but I guess I never really thought of it I always thought it was coincidence that the people who were active always point whored, didnt think I was a contributing factor to changing their build strat.

Turtle's in the making I get nobles, clear a lot then take. And naturally I poke people with scouts, but I never really had the turtle problem like some people maybe just luck. If I clear more than 10 people I would be really surprised.

DeletedUser

Yea I drain certain areas but I guess I never really thought of it I always thought it was coincidence that the people who were active always point whored, didnt think I was a contributing factor to changing their build strat.

It's human instinct to try to "keep up with the Jones'", or so to speak.

Limit their ability in one way and they'll find another, and since it's points every one sees most players tend toward that as compensation even though they should do the opposite. I, myself, have had to resist the urge to do this when by much more active player. So I know it affects everyone.

DeletedUser

I can attest that Popov is a troopwhore. Big time. He's usually got about 80-90 nukes laying around.. some 100 full defensive vills.. 100k scouts.. it sickens me!

He's already got some 300-400 spears here in w39.. does he cheat?

Doesn't every one have 300-400 spears?? And 150 LC??

DeletedUser

See, you think I made that figure up. However, it's totally true.

Don't you know the legend of Popov? Fastest grower in history of TW.

Who said I was kidding??

And no, never heard of Popov, sounds like cheep vodka.

DeletedUser

/facepalm

I have nothing to say :icon_rolleyes: what tribe are you in again?

And what tribe are you too? As what nuke said, he recruited some players that aren't exactly great but willing to be teach. (Atleast BM has the guts to post in PF with his real IGN)

DeletedUser

Well I don't care if his the leader of void which obviously in his sig. (coz forum this days have been boring glad LA keep it coming). Nuke explains everything. So no need to argue with you or anyone in this thread. I'm outta here :icon_wink:

Wasn't arguing with you or Nuke, just stating Darkx wasn't hiding. Not taking sides on the actual argument going on. And if I did, I would state I like the topic, no problem with Blackmessiah and even though Nuke explained things I didn't think it was necessary.

DeletedUser

@ Blackmessiah -

As far as pointwhoring to scare people goes, I think that also depends a bit on your location. Usually it won't work in the core, because the core is mainly filled with more experienced players, who aren't impressed/concerned by point levels. Not to the extent of being 'scared' of another player, anyway.

But on the rim, with newer players, pointwhoring to scare 'em usually works quite effectively. Or has done, in my experience. Though with that of course, comes the argument that you hardly need to scare players on the rim...

Blackmessiah said:

You need to have good resource lvl's to replace the lost troops, if you know what I mean

This shouldn't really be a problem early on. Say you're going for 8 hours. You send your troops on a raid to a farm 4 (or 4.5 if you want to be safe, or whatever) hours away. Troops are gone from the village the whole time you're away, so even if anyone does attack you, the worst you'll lose are some resourses, and whatever small amount of troops may have been in production while you were gone. :)

OK, Yes BM is in Geico. I have told many people we took in players who aren't exactly great and we plan to teach them. I did not count on teaching them the rules of Pnp forums, I apologize for this topic, I can see we have some work to do.

Regards,
Nuke

Er. Just outta interest. Why apologise for someone's (from what I can tell) honest attempt at getting a discussion going in a new thread, from issues that were being raised in another thread?

Y'should be praising your tribe members for being brave enough to dare post if they're new, or inexperienced in the way of the forums. Most new players wouldn't dream of it, precisely because of the poor reactions they see others getting.

darkx

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Void's turned to mass recruitment.

Facepalm... in a way...

I wont deny, I've recruited more then I attended to, but I already stated this in the "continent discussion thread"

darkx said:
Void currently accepted a small group of highly experienced and aggressive players into it. (A little more than I wanted to recruit; 8) I think we'll have fun seeing how others produce and see the number of tribes gang banging against us.

If you're ganna use this against me, go for it. I dont think I'll scope down to your level and I believe I was a little childess when I made that statement BM, Nuke's tribe.

If you have something against me or Void about how we run things the way we do, good for you but intil you actually challenge us; words come and go. Thanks for stating the obvious that void mass recruited http://www.twstats.com/en39/index.php?page=tribe&mode=tribe_changes&id=16 case you didn't notice, we are weeding out the average & inactives. I plan to only keep the most experienced and players with patiental to become a better player.