Have fun and vote for your favorite!

SOTW55-2_zps6f023ebc.png

Iron_man_sig.png

2drt6pi.png

snowstorm.png

bi6p2s.png

Good luck!

DeletedUser98959

Are people voting for 5 just to mess with the whole voting system ?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Now now. Just because you don't like 5 doesn't mean it doesnt deserves to win.

DeletedUser

The first three all look awfully similar.
You know nothing about signatures do you ....

Voted for 5 just to screw with this guy :D
People like you shouldn't be allowed round here, you're ruining a competition for fun ? People put serious time into some of those signatures and you think it's okay just to mess around while voting just to annoy somebody ?

This is why this graphics forum is dead
#1 and #3 are clearly the best with #3 being slightly better.

Pisses me off when people ruin things just for a "Joke" ...

DeletedUser

G.E., I know what signatures are, yes. And even if I didn't, I was making an observation. I, personally, thought they looked similar. I don't need any skill to think that, in the same way I can say "I don't like that picture" when I don't know how to draw well.

And if you want to know Why I think they're similar, all 3 are of a humanoid figure focused onto one side with their hand(s), in some way glowing, outstretched to the other side. 3 less so than 1 and 2, but still kind of similar.

Undead Billy Mays

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I'm actually going to agree with Lavender here on the familiarity between the first 3 signatures. The composition is the same for all three, only with the thirds switched to the left focal instead of the right. All three create a dual focal, the first being the worst strain on them. I happened to think the second signature was the most interesting as the use of dark and light was more balanced int his one than in any of the other signatures. It's a smoother feel, the warm and cool colors compliment each other wonderfully.

Effects don't make a signature, the effects in 1 and 3 are good but when some of the more major design principles are skipped over it leaves a disconjointed feeling.

As far as the comments of people voting for 5 to "mess" with the system. Not knowing if it was a simple copy and paste job or if the dolphin itself was formed, and made three dimensional, It is different to any of the others and I can see it as appealing to some. For several reasons I don't like it,

To not leave out 4, i'll say the transparency didn't work well enough with this piece, (hellghast?) doesn't really jump out of the white for me.

To lavender - if you followed your first statement with - these three look the same, but here's the reason why then people can see why your thinking it. I agreed with you on it once you stated your reasons but try and add those reasons up front :)

DeletedUser

Personally I think #1, #2, and #5 were the best.

The fireball/whatever it is effect in #1 was very well done, although the excess of star stock in the bottom right corner seemed a bit random.

#5 was very original, and if the creator made the dolphin from scratch (if I'm guessing correctly who made it, they probably did), it's a very creative and successfully-simplistic piece.

#3 was decent, but I think the effects were not done as well as the others, and I felt the focal was more the light source than the Hulk himself.

#4 I think was done poorly, seems very little was done to it besides the snow effect.

DeletedUser

And if you want to know Why I think they're similar, all 3 are of a humanoid figure focused onto one side with their hand(s), in some way glowing, outstretched to the other side. 3 less so than 1 and 2, but still kind of similar.

Okay that point makes sense and I agree. Also consider though that when asked to do a "freestyle" most signature makers will resort to a humanoid figure 8/10 times, no ? I also feel like they all use colour completely differently, the first goes for a multiple colour bright piece, the second resorting to a darker colour scheme with the hints of colour and then 3 using an overall colour for the piece only straying from those colours to create light and dark spaces.
I actually didn't notice the whole thing of all of them seeming to hold a ball of energy so good point there.

#1 - Is good, perhaps a bit over the top with the bright lights though ?
#2 - Feel like it could be good but the colour scheme is just dull making me feel uninterested
#3 - I think this is the best put together signature overall, using colour/composition etc. feel like I know who made this, welcome back
#4 - It's different which is nice, it just doesn't feel amazing, maybe a better colour scheme ? Also if you can't do text, leave it out. It takes quite a while to get used to being able to add text and for now, it's probably best to leave it out. ( That's what I did for a long time )
#5 - Good layer effects

Effects don't make a signature, the effects in 1 and 3 are good but when some of the more major design principles are skipped over it leaves a disconjointed feeling.

I'd be interested to see what major design principles you feel were left out ? ( I didn't create any signature here so there's no agenda, I'm just curious )

Undead Billy Mays

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I'd be interested to see what major design principles you feel were left out ? ( I didn't create any signature here so there's no agenda, I'm just curious )

Sure thing

As with any art - it is subject to opinion and these are mine

1. Has a poor balance of positive and negative space. The form takes up nearly the entire foreground and because of the use of the lighting effects it decimates any depth into the piece. The contrast could have been adjusted to minimize the overbearing flares. Also the front right shoulder is out of focus while the chest piece and head are completely in focus with a useless blur giving it an unrealistic feel. I understand that focus can be used in different ways but it was done backwards in this piece.

3. Also serious contrast issues, i think mainly because of the background being the same texture and color as hulk. Having hulk leaned away towards the top left corner brings the viewer to travel to the middle then up and out which is generally speaking not a good thing. The balance in it was fine until the lightning effects were included. That only confuses the viewer as far as any kind of planned flow.

I didn't do one this week either

DeletedUser98959

Okay that point makes sense and I agree. Also consider though that when asked to do a "freestyle" most signature makers will resort to a humanoid figure 8/10 times, no ? I also feel like they all use colour completely differently, the first goes for a multiple colour bright piece, the second resorting to a darker colour scheme with the hints of colour and then 3 using an overall colour for the piece only straying from those colours to create light and dark spaces.
I actually didn't notice the whole thing of all of them seeming to hold a ball of energy so good point there.

#1 - Is good, perhaps a bit over the top with the bright lights though ?
#2 - Feel like it could be good but the colour scheme is just dull making me feel uninterested
#3 - I think this is the best put together signature overall, using colour/composition etc. feel like I know who made this, welcome back
#4 - It's different which is nice, it just doesn't feel amazing, maybe a better colour scheme ? Also if you can't do text, leave it out. It takes quite a while to get used to being able to add text and for now, it's probably best to leave it out. ( That's what I did for a long time )
#5 - Good layer effects

Who do you think it is ? want to see his .psd..

DeletedUser

Tied for first place are Idiocracy and AJAX FAUST, with entries #2 and #5 respectively.
In second place is .TheNewKids, with entry #3.
Tied for third place are King Sean04 and Harbinger297, with entries #1 and #4 respectively.

Winners all around this week as it happened! Thanks everyone for the submissions.