Proposition 8

DeletedUser

I'm gonna have to ask you to bring this more on-topic...this is a controversial conversation topic as it is, and religion being brought into it questions whether i should allow this to remain open - all religions are welcome here, and all beliefs, i do not want discussions about them happening here as someone is bound to be offended. Generally religious debates are locked so....keep it to proposition 8 aight?

Levy

DeletedUser90656

But at one point or another, they meet their mother/father - regardless of whether it is every day, every week, every few weeks, every month, ever few months, yearly or rarely - they still meet their other parent. In this case, there are just two mothers.

And it won't ruin their life necessarily, but what if to effeminate males fall in love, or two very masculine males were to fall in love? (Same goes for women in this case). It would be very hard to say the least to ensure that the child would get good homosexual parents and not have a girl growing up to be more masculine than the people on the rugby team or a guy who grows up wearing pink shirts and a voice higher than Justin Bieber.

It has the potential to. And in my scenario, I'm not even looking at the repercussions. What happens if the child is a homophobe? Does the child swear at them using multiple homosexual curse words then go out on to the street?

I have 2 close friends who are girls who play rugby... 10X better at it than I'll ever be lol.

Also, I have a number of problems with what you just did there: the way I'm reading that, you just stereotyped homosexuals as being bad parents... I find that completely disrespectful to my homosexual friends who would make excellent parents... better than most!

And you're saying that if a girl has 2 masculine parents in her life, that she'll become some kind of outcast because she'll only be exposed to the male way of life? You also just implied that a girl should not be masculine... which also implies gender roles... another thing I have a problem with.

AND, do you really have a problem with a guy wearing a pink shirt? Daaaayyyyaaammmmm... I have plenty of guy friends who don't look bad in a pink polo... :/

With regards to being a homophobe: I have an article for you! Should you choose to read it, you'll find that homophobia is based in irrational fears brought on by intolerance and ignorance; both of which can be resolved by practicing tolerance. Enjoy!
http://www.bidstrup.com/phobia.htm

With respect to Levi's request, I won't respond to the religious arguments except to say that I still believe people can change, and I believe that preaching tolerance is a way to get there. For the sake of Prop 8, it doesn't matter what people in other countries believe, and what religions they follow, it matters what people in California believe, and how much they are willing to open their minds.

Yes, its possible to minimize it, but as long as there is a weakness, people will pick on it until it becomes so normal its standard in society. And this will take decades to occur, if not longer. She understands, though they are her parents, unless she's a homophobe she's not going to desert them.

And tolerance can be preached, but as I explained earlier (along with dark), as long as there is religion, there would not be tolerance. If I was gay I hardly think the majority of my Christian right family would be overly tolerant of it. My dad would probably be the most tolerant, as he's one of the only people in my extended family who I believe is not actually religious (aside from myself).

So... what you're saying is, even if we start preaching tolerance today, it won't take affect right away, and a lot of people won't change? If they'd used that mentality for minorities years ago, well... I guarantee racism would still be socially acceptable. Even with tolerance of minorities being preached, racism still exists today... but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have started, and it doesn't mean we shouldn't do the same for homosexuals. The first thing they did back then was remove the laws that separate the minorities from the majority, it's now time to do same: eliminate the laws that separate homosexuals from heterosexuals. It is impossible to preach tolerance when the laws backed by the government preach intolerance.

Regardless of how much tolerance we preach, as long as there is religion, there will be people frowning upon homosexuality. Even as atheism grows, there will still be people against it. Inevitably, this change will take a long time.

I'm going to take the Labor/Greens coalition in Australia. If the Greens threatened to cross the floor if Labor didn't pass same-sex marriage, Labor would take a significant hit from the Christian voters, not to mention the right-wing of the Labor party would probably end up turning the whole Labor/Greens partnership into a shambles, not to mention turn parliament into a world of internal party conflict while the Liberals bash them to bits.

eh, see above, think it covers it.

More or less.

My point is, parents cannot teach them one thing when they're 10 lets say, and then the school says something completely different the next. It doesn't work that way.

and my point is... well, it's your point. :icon_wink: I never suggested that homosexual parents should teach their children anything other than the truth (to clarify, again: homosexual couples cannot create children.)

And that is one of the main reasons against same-sex married couples having children. They simply can't have children, and as dark said, they could end up ostracised simply because they have gay parents. Not to mention how awkward it is when other kids ask 'What does your mum do?'. We would have to change the whole mentality of society.

All homosexuals will continue to be ostracized simply because laws promoting that they're not as good as everyone else continue to exist.
"We would have to change the whole mentality of society." <-- YES! That is exactly what needs to happen, and what can/should happen. Gave reasons for this above... read the article if you want even more reasons...

DeletedUser

You also just implied that a girl should not be masculine... which also implies gender roles... another thing I have a problem with.

You do have to agree that genders have had and still have roles in everyday life. Girls/boys are just different, what would you think of some boy skipping around the town listening to Justin Bieber?

AND, do you really have a problem with a guy wearing a pink shirt? Daaaayyyyaaammmmm... I have plenty of guy friends who don't look bad in a pink polo... :/

It depends on the shirt

darkaniken2

I have 2 close friends who are girls who play rugby... 10X better at it than I'll ever be lol.

I know a few people like that as well, and ironically enough, they are homosexual. Just figured I'd point that out.

Also, I have a number of problems with what you just did there: the way I'm reading that, you just stereotyped homosexuals as being bad parents... I find that completely disrespectful to my homosexual friends who would make excellent parents... better than most!

No, he didn't. He never said they would be bad parents overall, just bad parents in todays society. And that's not likely to change.

And you're saying that if a girl has 2 masculine parents in her life, that she'll become some kind of outcast because she'll only be exposed to the male way of life? You also just implied that a girl should not be masculine... which also implies gender roles... another thing I have a problem with.

No matter how much you "have a problem with" it, there will always been gender roles. If I see a guy walking around in a skirt or a dress, I'm going to turn and walk away as quickly as possible. If I see a girl walking around dressed like one of those idiots who wear their pants around their knees and with their boxers showing, I'm going to more likely than not fall to the ground laughing my ass off.

I have a pink shirt. I wear it on occasion. So no, I don't. Now if it's a womens shirt with little frills and what not, then yes, I have a problem with it.

With regards to being a homophobe: I have an article for you! Should you choose to read it, you'll find that homophobia is based in irrational fears brought on by intolerance and ignorance; both of which can be resolved by practicing tolerance. Enjoy!

So you are saying phobias aren't built into us, but are rather a product of society? Hmmm.... isn't that a little hypocritical. If homosexuals are naturally homosexual, why can't homophobes be naturally homophobic.

With respect to Levi's request, I won't respond to the religious arguments except to say that I still believe people can change, and I believe that preaching tolerance is a way to get there. For the sake of Prop 8, it doesn't matter what people in other countries believe, and what religions they follow, it matters what people in California believe, and how much they are willing to open their minds.

Then you are saying there are no religious people in California? Hmm....

So... what you're saying is, even if we start preaching tolerance today, it won't take affect right away, and a lot of people won't change? If they'd used that mentality for minorities years ago, well... I guarantee racism would still be socially acceptable. Even with tolerance of minorities being preached, racism still exists today... but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have started, and it doesn't mean we shouldn't do the same for homosexuals. The first thing they did back then was remove the laws that separate the minorities from the majority, it's now time to do same: eliminate the laws that separate homosexuals from heterosexuals. It is impossible to preach tolerance when the laws backed by the government preach intolerance.

Erm... Let's get a couple of things sorted out here. First off, racial tolerance is common sense. Black, white, red, green or purple, we all bleed red.

Homosexuals are NOT a race. They do not act as the rest of humanity does, they do not live as the rest of humanity does. In all seriousness, there are actually VERY few laws separating homosexuals and heterosexuals, because the idea of homosexuality was so far out of the founders minds, they didn't even consider it.

and my point is... well, it's your point. :icon_wink: I never suggested that homosexual parents should teach their children anything other than the truth (to clarify, again: homosexual couples cannot create children.)

So then teach the children that they ended up with homosexual parents because no one else wanted them? That's the inevitable conclusion a child will reach. Why you ask? Because they won't know better.

All homosexuals will continue to be ostracized simply because laws promoting that they're not as good as everyone else continue to exist.
"We would have to change the whole mentality of society." <-- YES! That is exactly what needs to happen, and what can/should happen. Gave reasons for this above... read the article if you want even more reasons...

For the first line, read above.

For the second, that is not possible. You are an idealist who refuses to face the reality that the world does not change because a small group wants it to change. It cannot and will not happen. That's like asking everyone to stop fighting wars because killing is wrong. Do you honestly think it's going to work?

You do have to agree that genders have had and still have roles in everyday life. Girls/boys are just different, what would you think of some boy skipping around the town listening to Justin Bieber?

Agreed, and no, I wouldn't. Though it'd probably give me a good laugh... *me ponders watching matt skipping around like Justin Bieber...* lol

DeletedUser90656

I dislike Justin Bieber... but to be honest, I wouldn't care. Maybe he likes Justin Bieber's music? Not sure how... different opinions on music... and I honestly wouldn't think anything of it other than I dislike Justin Bieber.

As for gender roles, yes and no. I'd agree that there are things that men/women tend to be better at because of the physical differences we are born with. However, I feel that if a women is qualified to do something normally reserved for a man, then she should be able to with no questions asked, and no comments made.

I know a few people like that as well, and ironically enough, they are homosexual. Just figured I'd point that out.

lol! That is ironic... however, I do not feel that my friends are homosexual... though, I guess I'll never really know if they are or not... which is sad, because if they actually are, then the fact that society sucks is the reason I'll never know...

No, he didn't. He never said they would be bad parents overall, just bad parents in todays society. And that's not likely to change.

Well... unfortunately for them, they're not going to be living in a society other than "today's society," and he, in fact, never clarified saying that they'd only be bad parents in today's society...

It would be very hard to say the least to ensure that the child would get good homosexual parents and not have a girl growing up to be more masculine than the people on the rugby team or a guy who grows up wearing pink shirts and a voice higher than Justin Bieber.

Now I read that as "it would be hard to ensure the child would get good homosexual parents, and that there is a good chance the child will grow up to be a masculine girl or feminine guy." To assume that 2 masculine men can't raise a girl to be feminine is implying bad parenting imo.

No matter how much you "have a problem with" it, there will always been gender roles. If I see a guy walking around in a skirt or a dress, I'm going to turn and walk away as quickly as possible. If I see a girl walking around dressed like one of those idiots who wear their pants around their knees and with their boxers showing, I'm going to more likely than not fall to the ground laughing my ass off.

First off, I'm glad that you too hate having to see other guys' pants half off...
Second, I responded to the gender roles thing above...

So you are saying phobias aren't built into us, but are rather a product of society? Hmmm.... isn't that a little hypocritical. If homosexuals are naturally homosexual, why can't homophobes be naturally homophobic.

Got another reference for ya! :)
http://www.fact-archive.com/encyclopedia/Homophobia
To summarize, homophobia can be a legitimate, naturally occurring phobia (though it does NOT occur that often as a medical illness); however, that is a fear, not a prejudice. When The Lewder referenced homophobia, he was using it in terms of its definition as being "prejudiced against homosexuals" (hence the child not being afraid of her parents, but instead calling them derogatory names). Prejudices are not 'naturally occurring," they are learned. Therefore, by preaching tolerance, you can remove a vast majority of "homophobia" in the US population.

Then you are saying there are no religious people in California? Hmm....

When you were referencing religions, you were referencing them in terms of the world... getting an entire world-wide religion to change it's opinion on the spot would be impossible; however, getting individuals in California to change their opinions slowly would not be.

Erm... Let's get a couple of things sorted out here. First off, racial tolerance is common sense. Black, white, red, green or purple, we all bleed red.

Homosexuals are NOT a race. They do not act as the rest of humanity does, they do not live as the rest of humanity does. In all seriousness, there are actually VERY few laws separating homosexuals and heterosexuals, because the idea of homosexuality was so far out of the founders minds, they didn't even consider it.

Okay... well, first off, racial tolerance wasn't common sense not so long ago, and there are still people who'd argue with you about it being common sense (myself not being one of them :) )

Second, there shouldn't be ANY laws separating them. It's not like homosexuality is a new thing... maybe they didn't consider it because they didn't think there was a need to differentiate homosexuals from heterosexuals.

So then teach the children that they ended up with homosexual parents because no one else wanted them? That's the inevitable conclusion a child will reach. Why you ask? Because they won't know better.

Just because it's the conclusion they'd reach doesn't make it the truth, so why would you teach them that? Want me to go find that graph again about how 11% of parents who give their kids up for adoption MIGHT not have loved them? Whilst the other 89%+ gave them up because they loved them?

For the first line, read above.

For the second, that is not possible. You are an idealist who refuses to face the reality that the world does not change because a small group wants it to change. It cannot and will not happen. That's like asking everyone to stop fighting wars because killing is wrong. Do you honestly think it's going to work?

I think it's funny how you think that the fact that there are only a few laws that separate us from them is okay... I don't think it's okay to have ANY laws that separate them from us... but that's because I think that they're equal to me.

Well... actually, this is nothing like asking people to stop fighting wars. The only way to stop a war is to finish it. It's not enforceable unless you go to war. We've already begun to enforce tolerance by saying that committing a crime against someone because they are homosexual is a hate crime... which has more severe punishments attached to it. With respect to changing the mentality of society. No, it will not change quickly, and it will not change quietly, but it has changed so many times in the past for so many different reasons. With even one law in place separating homosexuals from heterosexuals, preaching tolerance has no chance of succeeding.

Agreed, and no, I wouldn't. Though it'd probably give me a good laugh... *me ponders watching matt skipping around like Justin Bieber...* lol

For the record, my name is also Matt, and every time you guys say Matt, I get confused for a second (though I realize you are talking about I Less Than 3 You) :lol:

DeletedUser71572

I really can't be bothered to sift through all this. But interested to see who is against it, and who isn't. I posted at the start of the thread under my w51 alias, just wanted to see where this argument has got too...

DeletedUser

And despite the fact they can play rugby, they're still female. They will still get their knickers in a knot if their poor diddums trips over and falls.

And what I was saying could be in the minority - sure, they could be good parents, but every child needs a masculine and feminine influence. To have two 'pink panties' gay guys bringing up a kid who is extremely athletic, sporty and slightly homophobic could end up giving his parents the finger and literally treating them like rejects. Each gender has its role in reproduction, and in all honesty, gender stereotypes still do, and will exist for decades to come. Each species has a role in bringing up its children. Why should humans be the only species on earth allowing homosexual parents, something which has basically never been tried in any species ever?

Just because they're 'good parents', doesn't mean they wouldn't bring up their child well.

And homophobia is a mental illness, if you're going to be preaching tolerance, its going to be near impossible. The teachings of the Christian church are to send them to hell, and judging by the conservatism of some priests, suggesting this would probably make them burn down your homes and label your family as heretics. Yes, that is probably how far some priests would go, considering many still oppose condoms, and that's a social norm (using condoms).

But the whole 'accept other races' thing has been a movement for centuries. And yes, its still quite widespread in parts, I hardly see how we could even see a decent change in our lifetimes.

And laws need to be passed by governments. In Australia both major parties are against gay marriage. We may possibly see it legalised if the Greens can force Labor to pass the bill (right now, Labor would bend over backwards while doing a triple forward flip, playing the piano and singing Midnight Oil songs (hehe funny) to stay in government), I doubt it would last that long, and it would kill both parties I'd say.

Exactly.

Unfortunately, to change all of society's mentality at once is impossible, and it will take forever to do so.

DeletedUser90656

And despite the fact they can play rugby, they're still female. They will still get their knickers in a knot if their poor diddums trips over and falls.

False? I'm pretty sure that they're more the type that if they get injured, they refuse treatment and try to get back in the game... I only know this because I've played them in basketball, anddd... yeah... one of my friends actually broke her wrist and finished a game (not a rugby girl, soccer/basketball actually)... sooooo... I hope this response was appropriate, as I actually have no idea what you were trying to say... :icon_redface:

And what I was saying could be in the minority - sure, they could be good parents, but every child needs a masculine and feminine influence. To have two 'pink panties' gay guys bringing up a kid who is extremely athletic, sporty and slightly homophobic could end up giving his parents the finger and literally treating them like rejects. Each gender has its role in reproduction, and in all honesty, gender stereotypes still do, and will exist for decades to come. Each species has a role in bringing up its children. Why should humans be the only species on earth allowing homosexual parents, something which has basically never been tried in any species ever?

The masculine/feminine influence thing still doesn't fly, as there are plenty of single parents who are either masculine/feminine who do fine... and in all honestly, a kid hating his parents "could" happen with heterosexual parents... oh wait, it does happen... I know, because I've seen it happen...

andddd... I think there are plenty of things humans do that other species will never dream of doing... sooooo... not a valid argument? I can make a list if you can't think of any.

And homophobia is a mental illness, if you're going to be preaching tolerance, its going to be near impossible. The teachings of the Christian church are to send them to hell, and judging by the conservatism of some priests, suggesting this would probably make them burn down your homes and label your family as heretics. Yes, that is probably how far some priests would go, considering many still oppose condoms, and that's a social norm (using condoms).

Obviously you didn't read my response to Dark... which is fine... there is a lot there lol!
so here ya go!

Got another reference for ya!
http://www.fact-archive.com/encyclopedia/Homophobia
To summarize, homophobia can be a legitimate, naturally occurring phobia (though it does NOT occur that often as a medical illness); however, that is a fear, not a prejudice. When The Lewder referenced homophobia, he was using it in terms of its definition as being "prejudiced against homosexuals" (hence the child not being afraid of her parents, but instead calling them derogatory names). Prejudices are not 'naturally occurring," they are learned. Therefore, by preaching tolerance, you can remove a vast majority of "homophobia" in the US population

also... I'm pretty sure the priests at the church I go to won't burn down my house for preaching tolerance... just saying... if you're going to judge a religion based on its extremists, then... *stops himself from making a comparison that sparks a religious debate*

But the whole 'accept other races' thing has been a movement for centuries. And yes, its still quite widespread in parts, I hardly see how we could even see a decent change in our lifetimes.

Define "centuries." Seeing as less than 100 years ago there were laws that restricted the rights of blacks in America, I do not believe that it has taken centuries for that to happen. I think the fact that Prop 8 has a chance to be declared unlawful by the court systems, and not just generally accepted means that this movement is miles ahead of the other one...

And laws need to be passed by governments. In Australia both major parties are against gay marriage. We may possibly see it legalised if the Greens can force Labor to pass the bill (right now, Labor would bend over backwards while doing a triple forward flip, playing the piano and singing Midnight Oil songs (hehe funny) to stay in government), I doubt it would last that long, and it would kill both parties I'd say.

Yep... but they can also be declared unconstitutional by the courts... so we'll find out if that is the case soon enough.

Unfortunately, to change all of society's mentality at once is impossible, and it will take forever to do so.

Agree with the first part... not with the forever part, but I don't think there's anything that either of us can say to change our respective opinions.

DeletedUser

*me ponders watching matt skipping around like Justin Bieber...*

Here is the line ,the dot represents you.

:icon_cry:

To think I even play mines level 1-3 with you :O
And also pwned your ass at checkers
icon_cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

DruidEarth

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Hm, methinks I'll come out of hibernation now... Epic text wall of catching up, here we go!

Just going to go ahead and second everything Druid said.
I'm really flattered.
/me seconds most of what Synergy's said. (Not all of it because of things about being raised Catholic and such.)

Question: Are you friends with any homosexuals in real life? (This question can go for anyone who is for or against homosexual marriage as well)
More than I care to count. For the most part, I can't keep track of who's gay, who's bi, and who's straight.

thank god im an atheist :O
I hope the irony in this statement was intentional...

nope what will stop those billions worshiping a deity is a proper education for children that doesn't involve brainwashing them from birth. according to most world religions we are pretty much all going to this fictional place called hell.

fortunately though theres no such thing as the teachings of god and therefore no hell.........which is nice :)
And that is something no one can really know for sure. But what this hell would be like is also subject to debate. Do you just have to be good to not go there? Or are there a whole bunch of things that will get you sent there? (See random protesters outside my school with signs about how basically every group of people except them is going to hell...) If the latter is true, it's gonna be quite the party in hell, and heaven seems like it would be a drab, boring place.

i can understand the arguments " their disgusting and it shldnt be allowed" as these mainly come from the ignorant incompetent inbred illegitimate halfwits who cant see further than their own bigotry.
Regardless of whether or not I agree with this sentiment, I'm gonna point out that saying things like this won't help change people's minds. It will just make them defensive.

do you know the amount of children throughout the world that never get the chance to be adopted? that spend their youth getting moved around foster parents, in and out of state sponsored orphanages, never getting settled. many of which turn to crime, drugs and end up in youth correctional facilities. lives ruined before they have begun because they have had nothing even approaching settled family life?

do you really have the ability to rationalize that thats better for them than having two parents that will love and care for them based on the possibility that they might get bullied at school because of their parents sexual preference?
/me nods in agreement.

Two men together is just wrong. Two women, is perfectly fine. Case closed.
Case closed? How so? Because you say so? I think you should elaborate a bit more on your position. :p

@ Humpty, shush the big boys are talking :icon_cool:
...says little Matt. :icon_wink: And don't forget that there's at least one girl posting in this thread!

Does the truth hurt "big boy"?
I fail to see how you've established truth.

Its also a matter of lack of balance. With two male parents or two female parents it may give that child a unfair advantage.
Wait... So if having two parents of the same sex would give an advantage, how would same-sex marriage be a bad thing? Aren't you arguing against same-sex marriage?

For instance i don't know my father, i was raised by single mum and my sister. Growing up all i knew was about their stuff. I learnt how to cook (my mums a cook not being sexist) but to put it blunt i wasn't a normal boy.
Gender roles? Seriously? And for the record, all my cooking skills (minimal as they may be) come from my dad.

I didn't learn to change a bike tire until my next door neighbour (who was a year older then me) taught me. He also taught me how to fish, tackle, fight, play football, swim, even showed me how to build a coffee table so when i went to woodwork at school i knew what i was doing. Now i know there are alot of female parents out there who do know these sorts of things. But honestly - i didn't harden up and that until i had a male influence in my life.
Of these, swimming and fighting are the only ones my brother knows. Swimming he learned at the local pool, and fighting he learned at school. Oh, and guess who's the better swimmer of my parents? My mom, by far. I'm not exactly sure how bad my dad is because I see him in the water so rarely.

@willy, I'm not sure I follow. My opinions scare you? My being concerned for the well being of a child scares you? My worrying about how that child will be cast out of society because of the choices his/her parents made scares you...? Please, do explain that to me.
First, I thought you said earlier that sexuality isn't a choice. Secondly, should people really be denied the right to raise children because of something they had no control over?

But at one point or another, they meet their mother/father - regardless of whether it is every day, every week, every few weeks, every month, ever few months, yearly or rarely - they still meet their other parent. In this case, there are just two mothers.
They did, did they? What if one parent is dead? Or in jail? Or simply walked out of their life when they were a baby, or even before they were born? They definitely haven't always met both parents.

And it won't ruin their life necessarily, but what if to effeminate males fall in love, or two very masculine males were to fall in love? (Same goes for women in this case). It would be very hard to say the least to ensure that the child would get good homosexual parents and not have a girl growing up to be more masculine than the people on the rugby team or a guy who grows up wearing pink shirts and a voice higher than Justin Bieber.
I'm not sure how much nurture affects a child's voice, but I don't think it would do that much. And no doubt Justin Bieber's voice will get lower when he hits puberty. Anyway, I think one quality of a "real" man with courage is being able to wear a pink shirt and not care what other people think. As to tough girls, I don't see what the problem is with that.

It has the potential to. And in my scenario, I'm not even looking at the repercussions. What happens if the child is a homophobe? Does the child swear at them using multiple homosexual curse words then go out on to the street?
The child would be accustomed to homosexuality. They would have grown up with it. They would have no reason to insult their parents.

Religions against homosexuality, with sweeping changes, could change this. Though considering gay sex acts are punishable with the death penalty and Islam's hell-bent attitude to ensure that their religion remains as it was when Noah was a boy, I hardly see that happening in regards to Islam. Mind you, one stupid Islam semi-extremist went on A Current Affair here and made me /facepalm at the fact he was detesting the thing in the constitution which gave him the very right to speak and not get carried out by the AFP and executed.

My point is, Christianity could change their stance over time, Islam never will.
Um... You mean Noah as in the guy with the big arc during the flood? Islam didn't exist when he was a boy. Islam started around the year 600 CE. And one of my close friends was raised Muslim, and she has nothing against homosexuality. As a matter of fact, her older brother is either bi or gay, I'm not sure which.

It could be. In 1933, Hitler changed the textbooks in Secondary schools to be very pro-Germany. Guess what these children grew up to be by the time 1939 came around? Soldiers ready to fight in battle!

Surely its not on the same evil scale, but its doing a similar thing - lying to pupils about history, or in this case, biology.
Didn't we already come to the consensus that teaching that homosexual couples can conceive children together would be a bad idea?

Yes, its possible to minimize it, but as long as there is a weakness, people will pick on it until it becomes so normal its standard in society. And this will take decades to occur, if not longer. She understands, though they are her parents, unless she's a homophobe she's not going to desert them.
First, how would she end up as a homophobe when most of her life is spent around a lesbian couple? Secondly, I don't understand why you think we should wait. If it's a long process to full acceptance, why not start now? The sooner people start, the sooner the goal will be reached.

And tolerance can be preached, but as I explained earlier (along with dark), as long as there is religion, there would not be tolerance. If I was gay I hardly think the majority of my Christian right family would be overly tolerant of it. My dad would probably be the most tolerant, as he's one of the only people in my extended family who I believe is not actually religious (aside from myself).

Regardless of how much tolerance we preach, as long as there is religion, there will be people frowning upon homosexuality. Even as atheism grows, there will still be people against it. Inevitably, this change will take a long time.
I already talked about time. And as to the "religions are intolerant" argument, there are religions that accept homosexuality, and there are more and more religions changing their stance (Quakers, Episcopalians...).

My point is, parents cannot teach them one thing when they're 10 lets say, and then the school says something completely different the next. It doesn't work that way. And that is one of the main reasons against same-sex married couples having children. They simply can't have children, and as dark said, they could end up ostracised simply because they have gay parents. Not to mention how awkward it is when other kids ask 'What does your mum do?'. We would have to change the whole mentality of society.
Hm... And changing society's mentality would really be a bad thing? :icon_confused:

I'm gonna have to ask you to bring this more on-topic...this is a controversial conversation topic as it is, and religion being brought into it questions whether i should allow this to remain open - all religions are welcome here, and all beliefs, i do not want discussions about them happening here as someone is bound to be offended. Generally religious debates are locked so....keep it to proposition 8 aight?

Levy
The whole issue is completely entangled with religion. The group that put Prop. 8 on the ballot and is defending it in the courts, Protect Marriage, is a conservative Christian organization. And according to exit polls, voters were strongly divided along religious lines.
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#val=CAI01p2 (Several categories starting in the middle of the page and extending to near the bottom)
So talking about Prop. 8 and not talking about the religions aspect of the debate is fruitless.

For the sake of Prop 8, it doesn't matter what people in other countries believe, and what religions they follow, it matters what people in California believe, and how much they are willing to open their minds.
Actually, at this point it matters what the federal judges say.

So liking Justin Bieber is a "feminine" trait? I guess that makes me pretty un-feminine then. (And I don't think I have any pink clothing either.)

If I see a guy dressed like that, I figure he likes it. He can take my female slot for dress-wearing. I haven't worn a dress for over 2 years. And that dress didn't even belong to me. As to people who wear sagging pants, I think they look ridiculous regardless of their gender.

I know Synergy also covered this, but I want to say it again. Homophobia isn't accurately named. It's not so much a fear as it is a prejudice. Prejudices come from the nurture part of growing up, not the nature part.

1. You're too much of a pessimist.
2. No, they ended up with homosexual parents because that was who ended up adopting them. It's not that other parents rejected them. And in fact, they're some of the lucky ones who actually ended up with loving parents to adopt them, unlike the many who spend their childhoods in foster care.

Yes, I do think that would work. Eventually. But that's one of the big differences between my personality and yours.

Agreed, and no, I wouldn't. Though it'd probably give me a good laugh... *me ponders watching matt skipping around like Justin Bieber...* lol[/QUOTE]
Actually, I would laugh about anyone I know doing this. Male or female.

Second, there shouldn't be ANY laws separating them.

I think it's funny how you think that the fact that there are only a few laws that separate us from them is okay... I don't think it's okay to have ANY laws that separate them from us... but that's because I think that they're equal to me.
Quoting this due to being very strongly in agreement.

I really can't be bothered to sift through all this. But interested to see who is against it, and who isn't. I posted at the start of the thread under my w51 alias, just wanted to see where this argument has got too...
Just curious about your position on the issue...

Yah... Not quite true. There are gay animal parents. And don't forget about the fish that change gender based on the ratio of the genders in their area. :icon_wink:
http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch=news&sc&sc2=news&sc3&id=92139

I think Synergy covered the rest of your post pretty nicely.

Yep... but they can also be declared unconstitutional by the courts... so we'll find out if that is the case soon enough.
It already has been. Now we're just waiting for the appeals process.

Here is the line ,the dot represents you.

:icon_cry:

To think I even play mines level 1-3 with you :O
And also pwned your ass at checkers :icon_cool:

And I pwnd your ass at chess, battleship, and all 3 levels of mines. :icon_cool:
Don't forget about that game of dominoes. I enjoyed watching that. :icon_biggrin:

All this talk of ass, was sctt at the party?
If you don't have anything productive to say, don't say anything at all. :p

DeletedUser

I'm joining late into this, and I didn't read anything but the first couple of posts, but here is my position on the subject:

Our Constitution provides that all people are equal in the eyes of the law. This is fundamental to our country, and to the battles we have fought internally. Whether you agree with their actions/choices/lifestyle or not, fact of the matter is that homosexuals should be afforded the same rights and protections under the law as heterosexuals. So, on that basis alone, same-sex marriage should be legal.

However, I will take it one step further. The biggest argument(that makes sense, anyway) in opposition to same-sex marriages is that marriage is a religious ceremony and the religions have a right to deny that ceremony to whom they please. I agree they do. However, do not take that as me being against same-sex marriage. Another one of our core foundations in this country is the separation of Church and State. Yet, marriage is a religious ceremony sanctioned and utilized by the state and covered under laws of the state. That should be changed.

If two people wish to get married, then let them do so. However, that marriage ceremony should have no legal basis or standing whatsoever. Instead, a separate license or document, call it a Civil Union, should also be obtained to legally recognize they two people as a union and allow them to own property jointly, file joint taxes, and be afforded the same health and death benefits afforded to married people today.

This is a win/win proposal. It allows all the religious(and non-religious) people and organizations their bigotry afforded them under the 1st amendment while also giving same-sex couple all the rights they deserve as human beings living in a country founded upon the ideals of equality. It is the next logical step in the progression of equality in our fine country.

darkaniken2

@pyker: Your entire post is hypocritical. You want to give same sex couples the right to marry, and yet you call everyone who disagrees with you bigots. You are no better than the religous intollerants that call homosexuals disgusting and evil and whatnot. You preach about tolerance, and yet you conviently call everyone who disagrees with your view a bigot. I'm dissappointed in you.

DeletedUser

@pyker: Your entire post is hypocritical. You want to give same sex couples the right to marry, and yet you call everyone who disagrees with you bigots. You are no better than the religous intollerants that call homosexuals disgusting and evil and whatnot. You preach about tolerance, and yet you conviently call everyone who disagrees with your view a bigot. I'm dissappointed in you.

Hey, they have a right to their opinion, as I so eloquently pointed out. I have a right to mine as well. In my opinion, anyone who doesn't think a human being should be allowed legally to marry another human being for any reason whatsoever is a bigot.

But since you are calling me out on this, I will take an in depth analyzation of the matter. You are calling me hypocritical for calling people opposed to same-sex marriages bigots. Let us examine the word bigot, shall we?

Websters Online said:
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Homosexuals are group are they not? Being against them marrying is being intolerant of them, is it not? Therefore, people who are against same-sex marriage are being bigoted.

Now, that seems pretty conclusive to me. Exactly how am I being hypocritical?

darkaniken2

You do notice the word "obstinately" in there, right? Let's take a look:

Websters said:
: perversely adhering to an opinion, purpose, or course in spite of reason, arguments, or persuasion <obstinate resistance to change>

Now please, tell me how you've shown reason to counter my arguments. Infact, I believe several people have admitted most of the points I have made are valid.