Punching =STRH=

HeftySmurf

Rather Noobish from the great leader Amane :icon_redface::icon_rolleyes:

Not really, we have several players who volunteered to spy, we don't care if they find players out anymore

HeftySmurf

Clearly you have no idea what I was talking about. First, you are confusing war and politics. Second, if I were to look at a famous nazi war strategist I would be much more likely to look at a figure such as Rommel. I'd really like you to show me proof of where Hitler's war strategies are us

yeah I don't like this bit, Rommel was not a Nazi and I despise when people class him as one, he was a decorated German general and a sodding good one at that, he was not posthumously prosecuted at numurenburg because he was on of few generals to ignore hitlers orders to execute prisoners and especially jews

DeletedUser

I think Bh was generalising Hefty, he wasn't saying Rommel was a Nazi - he was however a prominent figure of Nazi Germany. Hence while not a member of the party, he does come under the umbrella.

Sellsword

Not really, we have several players who volunteered to spy, we don't care if they find players out anymore

So now spies are damned to hang -- you don't even care if their identity is given away? I guess all REL leadership should do nnow is send this out to all their members: Punch! spies thrown to the wolves.

No, what happened here was Amane. was being a little too clever for his own good, posting a screen shot that has been partially censored. Heft, it's okay to admit Punch! makes mistakes once in a while. It doesn't cost anything, and it makes having a discussion with you more interesting.

Deleted User - 3135

yeah I don't like this bit, Rommel was not a Nazi and I despise when people class him as one, he was a decorated German general and a sodding good one at that, he was not posthumously prosecuted at numurenburg because he was on of few generals to ignore hitlers orders to execute prisoners and especially jews

You realise you lose an argument, so you go into pedantic mode to find one thing you don't like. It's a good way of avoiding arguments I agree. But very transparent in this case.

As Calmir said, I was generalising. Whilst also doing this, technically "German Generals" in WWII were often bound by oath of allegiances to Hitler, whilst Hitler was not only the leader of Germany, but also her armed forces (or there abouts). I know and realise who he was and his strong morals. I was not saying they did not exist, and I realise. As I said, he was a great general, morally and tactically.

You've taken one word out of place and created an argument.

DeletedUser

Hitler's war strategies are used today, just a different context. The 'Blitzkrieg' of that day is not much different to the 'Shock and Awe' tactics used by modern US/Coalition military at the start of Iraq - a fast, mobilised attack from tanks and air, designed to overrun the enemy in a short time. :axemen: Stukas-Panzers - M1's-F-16s. Same tactic different time. Devising of a tactic isnt necessary to be remembered for it, only mastery of it, the American Revolutionaries didn't invent Guirella fighting, but they are remember for it, and its often associated with them.

Rommel was a Nazi. You could not hold the position of General in that time without being a sworn in Nazi. He was not prosecuted at Nurenburg, because he commited suicide... no other reason. His larger loyalties were to the fatherland not the proesecution of Jews etc, but that same fact would account to like 90% of 'Nazis'. People misunderstand what Nazi means, it was a political party, with fascist beliefs - being a nazi didnt make you a jew hater, more of an extremist 'patriot'. Only later did it become associated with the Genocide.

All this is irrelevant anyway. This is TW, not Univeristy, much as I love history (studies military history and graduated sandhurst). It has no place here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 3135

Hitler's war strategies are used today, just a different context. The 'Blitzkrieg' of that day is not much different to the 'Shock and Awe' tactics used by modern US/Coalition military at the start of Iraq - a fast, mobilised attack from tanks and air, designed to overrun the enemy in a short time. :axemen: Stukas-Panzers - M1's-F-16s. Same tactic different time.

Rommel was a Nazi. You could not hold the position of General in that time without being a sworn in Nazi. He was not prosecuted at Nurenburg, because he commited suicide... no other reason. His larger loyalties were to the fatherland not the proesecution of Jews etc, but that same fact would account to like 90% of 'Nazis'. People misunderstand what Nazi means, it was a political party, with fascist beliefs - being a nazi didnt make you a jew hater, more of an extremist 'patriot'. Only later did it become associated with the Genocide.

All this is irrelevant anyway. This is TW, not Univeristy, much as I love history (studies military history and graduated sandhurst). It has no place here.

I completely agree with you. Which is why I asked that history analogies be kept out of arguments about tribalwars. Though just a bit on the first, Hitler did not come up with Blitzkrieg, just him and his generals employed it.

DeletedUser

Hitler's war strategies are used today, just a different context. The 'Blitzkrieg' of that day is not much different to the 'Shock and Awe' tactics used by modern US/Coalition military at the start of Iraq - a fast, mobilised attack from tanks and air, designed to overrun the enemy in a short time. :axemen: Stukas-Panzers - M1's-F-16s. Same tactic different time.

Hitler didn't come up with Blitzkrieg. A German General (who I can't remember the name of, I can find it if necessary) did, Hitler can be credited with being willing to implement it over the more wildly supported big battle and envelopment tactic (partially, only approximately half of German tanks were consolidated into Panzer Divisions, even during the Invasion of France) but he didn't come up with it himself. That is crediting him far more than he is due.

And Rommel actually wasn't a member of the Nazi Party (or if he was it was through technicalities of his rank). As for not being prosecuted at Nuremberg, the Allies would have had no grounds to do it. Rommel was an example of chivalry and compassion during war, and was wildly respected and acclaimed for both his skill in command, and his morals out of battle.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hitler didn't come up with Blitzkrieg. A German General (who I can't remember the name of, I can find it if necessary) did, Hitler can be credited with being willing to implement it over the more wildly supported big battle and envelopment tactic (partially, only approximately half of German tanks were consolidated into Panzer Divisions, even during the Invasion of France) but he didn't come up with it himself. That is crediting him far more than he is due.

And Rommel actually wasn't a member of the Nazi Party. As for not being prosecuted at Nuremberg, the Allies would have had no grounds to do it. Rommel was an example of chivalry and compassion during war, and was wildly respected and acclaimed for both his skill in command, and his morals out of battle.

Look at my edit: I know he didn't invent it. But that doesn't matter. He was the first practitioner of it, and arguably most effective until recent history (Gulf war/Iraq).

Rommel was a member of the Nazi Party, that is fact. I dont understand why people say he wasnt. As a German officer in the military, he was required by law to take an oath of loyalty to the Nazi party - Which does not mean that he agreed with the Nazi position on all issues, but he was a nazi. The same sort of thing exists today, Im officialy a 'royal subject' because I took an oath to the Queen upon grading of military training, but Im a staunch anti-monarch. Does not change that im a royal subject.

I never argued his chivalry or skill - I could only dream of having the respect in life that he had. I already addressed most of the issues you point out, you just need to read it in a keener manner.

DeletedUser

An oath of loyalty is different to being a member of the Party. I didn't dispute the fact he could be, as I said it was possible that he could have been because of technicalities of his rank. No, you didn't argue his skill or chivalry. But your statement implies that the only reason Rommel wasn't prosecuted at Nuremberg was because he was dead. Perhaps if you read what I said with a keener mind, you might have caught what I meant.

Deleted User - 3135

An oath of loyalty is different to being a member of the Party. I didn't dispute the fact he could be, as I said it was possible that he could have been because of technicalities of his rank. No, you didn't argue his skill or chivalry. But your statement implies that the only reason Rommel wasn't prosecuted at Nuremberg was because he was dead. Perhaps if you read what I said with a keener mind, you might have caught what I meant.

Not sure I agree cal. Don't think he meant to imply that. Just a misunderstanding between the two of you, your basically arguing the same thing.

Whether they were or they weren't technically in the nazi party, distinguishing between calling them a nazi general or german general really is looking at technicalities.

DeletedUser

I respect your views. Not everyone will draw the same conclusions. You obviously have a good understanding of history, I would dicuss it with you further but then Id be going against what I said about it not belonging here. Nice talking though. I might have misused 'keener mind', it sounds sort of insulting, what I meant was more open.

@Bloodhood - I agree with you too - we are arguing the same thing :) 'She' not a he though. Thanks :)

Have a nice day now, I have flu to contend with.

Deleted User - 3135

I respect your views. Not everyone will draw the same conclusions. You obviously have a good understanding of history, I would dicuss it with you further but then Id be going against what I said about it not belonging here. Nice talking though. I might have misused 'keener mind', it sounds sort of insulting, what I meant was more open.

@Bloodhood - I agree with you too - we are arguing the same thing :) 'She' not a he though. Thanks :)

Have a nice day now, I have flu to contend with.

Whoops, apologies. Hope you recover soon.

HeftySmurf

I think Bh was generalising Hefty, he wasn't saying Rommel was a Nazi - he was however a prominent figure of Nazi Germany. Hence while not a member of the party, he does come under the umbrella.
Sadly a thing he is associated with many times.

So now spies are damned to hang -- you don't even care if their identity is given away? I guess all REL leadership should do nnow is send this out to all their members: Punch! spies thrown to the wolves.

No, what happened here was Amane. was being a little too clever for his own good, posting a screen shot that has been partially censored. Heft, it's okay to admit Punch! makes mistakes once in a while. It doesn't cost anything, and it makes having a discussion with you more interesting.
Meh, mistakes are fun, the mails we sent to REL we did tell about our spies, heck i told the leader myself of a spy and he didnt believe me :icon_biggrin:

You realise you lose an argument, so you go into pedantic mode to find one thing you don't like. It's a good way of avoiding arguments I agree. But very transparent in this case.

As Calmir said, I was generalising. Whilst also doing this, technically "German Generals" in WWII were often bound by oath of allegiances to Hitler, whilst Hitler was not only the leader of Germany, but also her armed forces (or there abouts). I know and realise who he was and his strong morals. I was not saying they did not exist, and I realise. As I said, he was a great general, morally and tactically.

You've taken one word out of place and created an argument.
Actually no, the reason i didnt respond to everything this morning was because i was on my iPod, and its hard to read and is giving me sodding migraines, so yeah, i need a laptop to read a lot and i have been putting off my eye test for the past 4 years :D
I believe Rommel was one of the few generals which didnt swear a direct oath, he was part of an old bunch which didnt really buy into nazism, hence why he was sent out to Africa because Hitler didnt expect him to do that well, but his success annoyed Hitler.

Hitler's war strategies are used today, just a different context. The 'Blitzkrieg' of that day is not much different to the 'Shock and Awe' tactics used by modern US/Coalition military at the start of Iraq - a fast, mobilised attack from tanks and air, designed to overrun the enemy in a short time. :axemen: Stukas-Panzers - M1's-F-16s. Same tactic different time. Devising of a tactic isnt necessary to be remembered for it, only mastery of it, the American Revolutionaries didn't invent Guirella fighting, but they are remember for it, and its often associated with them.

Again, a hugely debated subject, from books i have read, it has been debated about wether he commited suicide of his own choice, or forcefully by Hitler's hand, scared of a power struggle with the by then extremely prominent and popular Rommel.
Nurenburg looked at cases of excecutions etc, they had evidence of Rommel refusing orders from Berlin to excecute prisoners and jews, i believe his family have spent years keeping his name cleared, or im thinking of somebody else.

DeletedUser

just gonna stop your guy's convo for a second, with some war stats

Side 1:
Tribes: PUNCH!
Side 2:
Tribes: =STRH=, =LOCK=

Timeframe: 27/01/2011 00:00:00 to 04/02/2011 23:42:15

Total conquers against opposite side:

Side 1: 7
Side 2: 0
Difference: 7

chart

Points value of total conquers against opposite side:

Side 1: 28,762
Side 2: 0
Difference: 28,762

chart

DeletedUser71439

Regardless of the rest of the conversation, excellent work in noticing this, 3 pages went by about argueing the finer details of history, and no one notices this till now..

i only started reading the posts yestderday thats why lol

Bazz69

Realy how about just admit it was a screw up is far less :icon_redface: than your statment above :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser71439

wow a true supporter of spies there well done give yourself a medal if they read these posts dont you think you saying that will make them not give you info cuz you dont care about them