Random Question

scarlet ash

Ill probably ask plenty of random questions now as I'm bored but this has just sprung to mind.

My question is...
If money was no object, what would be your choice of laptop and desktop?

the laptop I would want and as I'm mainly a gamer and my knowledge of laptops isn't very good the laptop I would want is I guess Alien ware 17" and desktop I have no clue. Would be nice to hear from others.

DeletedUser74079

Haha, already PMing me about this but I'd get a mac for a laptop because they rulez! and I'd build my own desktop with 1366 socket motherboard (most liekly asus rampage II) i7 920 overclocked processor, 6gb 1666mhz ram ( could be overclocked), a 256gb SSD drive (for quick booting) and a 1tb storage drive. a 850w modular PSU and a nvidia gtx480 GPU.....antec 900 case? extra fans aswell.

DeletedUser

The Alienware 17 inch is good but for its money worth it's bad. I was going to go for the 15" but decided not to. The customer service sucks and they really are more of a laptop that I would get for looks. I ended up getting an Asus gaming laptop. (although I don't game heavy games)

As for a desktop I would not buy any from a company and just buy the parts myself and put it together.

DeletedUser

YOYOtech INTEL FI7EPOWER MK3 looks awesome

[spoil]FULL SYSTEM SPECS[/spoil]
[spoil]
PC CASE - LEVEL 10 ATX CASE
POWER SUPPLY - 1050W RECOM PSU
MOTHERBOARD - X58 CHIPSET MOTHERBOARD
PROCESSOR - i7-980 EXTREME QUAD CORE
OVERCLOCKED - OC @ 4.1Ghz
CPU COOLER - H50 CPU COOLER
MEMORY - 12GB DDR3 - 2000Mhz MEMORY
SOLID STATE DRIVE ONE - 64GB G-SKILL SSD
SOLID STATE DRIVE TWO - 64GB G-SKILL SSD
DRIVE SET-UP - STRIPED RAID (PERFORMANCE)
HARD DRIVE - 2TB SATAII
OPTICAL DRIVE ONE - BLU-RAY READER
OPTICAL DRIVE TWO - DVD REWRITER
GRAPHICS CARD ONE - RADEON 5870 - 1Gb DDR
GRAPHICS MODE - CROSSFIRED[/spoil]

and laptop a nice portable one http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_Timeline_3810T_Windows_7_Laptop_LX.PCR02.021/version.asp

DeletedUser74079

YOYOtech INTEL FI7EPOWER MK3 looks awesome

[spoil]FULL SYSTEM SPECS[/spoil]
[spoil]
PC CASE - LEVEL 10 ATX CASE
POWER SUPPLY - 1050W RECOM PSU
MOTHERBOARD - X58 CHIPSET MOTHERBOARD
PROCESSOR - i7-980 EXTREME QUAD CORE
OVERCLOCKED - OC @ 4.1Ghz
CPU COOLER - H50 CPU COOLER
MEMORY - 12GB DDR3 - 2000Mhz MEMORY
SOLID STATE DRIVE ONE - 64GB G-SKILL SSD
SOLID STATE DRIVE TWO - 64GB G-SKILL SSD
DRIVE SET-UP - STRIPED RAID (PERFORMANCE)
HARD DRIVE - 2TB SATAII
OPTICAL DRIVE ONE - BLU-RAY READER
OPTICAL DRIVE TWO - DVD REWRITER
GRAPHICS MODE - CROSSFIRED[/spoil]

and laptop a nice portable one http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_Timeline_3810T_Windows_7_Laptop_LX.PCR02.021/version.asp

i disagree with the specs on that, personally, you only need 166mhz ram as you can overclock if you get coolers which is far cheaper, the 980x i7 processor is overkill and you only need a 920 which can also be oveclocked for a much lower price. 12gb of ram would never be used in the real world, 6gb is enough, the choice of case is pretty good but leaves little in the way of modding and cannot fit certain parts inside. Lastly, i would rather stick with the nvidia gtx480s, theyre more expensive, but theyre far better cards for overclocking, and playing games, especially as they have nvidia physx.

Last of all, the type of x58 motherboard isnt mentioned, and therefore they could be skipping out on the BIOs clocks and such, this could mean your computer could be as slow as a socket 775 pc which uses, dual core, quad core and core 2 extreme processors.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

You have a very valid point the whole computer is overkill and not worth the money, as it would be outdated soon as as you mentioned the case leaves no room for modding, but it does look cool and i could buy another one if money was no object

DeletedUser

Laptop: definately lenovo thinkpad mini ;)

kidding, Maybe Mac pro? they're decent..

idk bout pc

DeletedUser74079

But if i were to get a money no object pc it would be this (simply because i cbf configuring it to my liking):

Scan 3XS White Tiger
2x 1536Mb Asus GTX 480 GPU's Watercooled
Asus Rampage III Extreme ROG Motherboard
Intel i7 980x, 6 Cores CPU Watercooled
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 Memory
128GB Crucial Real SSD
2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD
Limited edition modded TJ07 Chassis
£5,186.42 ex VAT
£6,094.04 inc VAT

DeletedUser

money no object?
well, id bi ipads and line the walls with them, of course configure it so you can have a moue that goes from screen to screen, then i would get the most expensive laptop there is, wait until this thread is locked or forgottenm, then sell them all for cash =)

DeletedUser

If money is no object why be restricted to just one or the other

I have both and they both have there seperate uses.

For me a desktop would be the way to go, as i could beef it up more to allow me to play any of the latest games if and when i had time.
But if your a student and your studies are more important a laptop for portability would be the way to go.