Read Before Posting

Typhi

Hello W53*, you'll probably want to read the whole thing.

It seems that one large flame war in particular has been on many people's minds of late. You want to be impolite? That's generally left up to you, as others in the forum usually sort you out for it. We start to get miffed if multiple threads get hijacked for the same arguments over and over again, though, and our knickers are quite irretrievably knotted when pms** warnings and infractions go ignored. :"[

Darkaniken has been trying his darndest to keep everybody happy, which seems to have resulted in little perceivable positive effect and various accusations of bias from both sides. Fair enough, we're always up for trying something different!

Effective immediately, we'd like to humbly request you to make sure you're doing things right by consulting the points below before hitting the 'Post Reply' button. Please note that while I did say "humbly request", I am only doing so to sound friendly. "Demand" would be a more truthful representation of the current state of matters.

----

A. Does my post break the rules?
I personally have always found this one rather easy. The Forum Rules are linked at the top of the forum, and anything you're not sure about can be answered by anyone with a red or orange username colour.

B. Is my post directly relevant to the discussion point raised in the first post of the thread?
....or am I simply contributing to yet another iteration of a neverending flame war by picking a fight, and then complaining about my discussion partner when I get as good as I give? Really now. Keep your arguments in a single thread - it's tidier.

C. Is my post polite?
Now, as stated in the introduction above, we normally aren't all up your face about this, but darn it, you guys are all up in everyone else's face. There's been entirely too much edging along just outside the reach of the letter of the rules while proceeding to demean others. We realise that 'polite' is a rather vague concept, and intend to take full advantage of that fact. As a general guideline, it is probably wise to refrain from using any kind of swear words or insults, even those generally allowed until now. It's best not to post if you are not calm and collected. We will be determining what is polite and what isn't, there is no need to knock us over the head with reports on that subject.

----

Authors of posts not meeting the standards supplied above will be dealt with harshly. Threatening standard punishments for refusing to modify one's posting habits would of course be silly - the bans issued may range anywhere from a week to several months.

Feel free to post general enquiries in this thread - anything specific should be taken up with darkaniken.

In closing, here's to an excellent 2011 - our best wishes to any who has not yet received them.

/typhi
on behalf of your W53 Moderation department

* Well some of you, anyway. You know who you are. More importantly, darkaniken knows who you are.
** Private Messages, darn you. Geez.

DeletedUser

If i get a violation for something and i know what it is already there have been times where ive just logged off and let it sit there for weeks tell looking at it.

DeletedUser92094

Ironically, this thread is about posting correctly, and not breaking the rules.
And the thread already has spam ;)

I would close it now before its too late o_O

Does this happen alot, or are we super special?

Super Special.

king dalt555

I rarely post, ever. Been here for years, I read but seldom post. I have to say you must give us some credit (I include myself because I do not follow section C) for saying what we want to say and yet staying within the rules. Very few people can do that, and in a way i think our intelligence should be rewarded, not punished. :)

P.S. I am waiting for a rewrite of the rules.

DeletedUser

P.S. I am waiting for a rewrite of the rules.
i think what he's saying is that we know the rules too well so we earned a rewrite :( they will now make them up as they go along and things that were fine before are not now and can get you months of ban if you play w53 :S

DeletedUser

When posting skype conversations where the language is 'colorful' what is the proper way to edit that to post?

darkaniken2

Remove it all together. No stars, no letters. Just gone.

Then again, it's probably better not to post it if you have to go through such lengths.

DeletedUser

Colorful skype conversations can be very relevant to war and forum relationships. I do not understand why I would need to be the very first to ever had to stop posting them. :icon_confused:

darkaniken2

Colorful skype conversations can be very relevant to war and forum relationships. I do not understand why I would need to be the very first to ever had to stop posting them. :icon_confused:
That does not apply only to you. However, I took the described situation to mean that every line contained something it shouldn't. In which case, it is probably better not to post it. If there are only a handful of words needing removed, then just completely delete them, as I said.