Really!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quack

Reaction score
So the first time somebody illegally logs into an 4 different accounts and sends all the offense and nobles on the accounts at one specific player, we should just give them a slap on the wrists and say, "don't do it again"?

Repeat offenders do tend to get banned more harshly than those who don't break the rules. For example, if you get banned based on the multi-accounting rules, but you had never broken the rules before, you might only get a 1/3 or 1/2 ban. If you've done it before, then you're more likely to get a 1/2 or full ban.

These rules, in one form or another, have been in place for the past 10 years.

If you referred to my entire post, I was talking more about the rules that don't pertain to cheating. You taking it to the extreme of rule breaking doesn't prove your point when it comes to what I was arguing.

asalamalakum stated above in this thread that there is a guideline for rule punishment. So, in terms of reduced ban sentences due to how many times you have been banned for a certain offense, I don't entirely know if that is true or not. I don't get banned often enough to know nor do I know any staff members well.

The amount of time these rules have been around really doesn't matter. You've referred to how long they have been in place several times in this thread, and it doesn't make your point any better. Any rule and punishment can always be tweaked to result in a better outcome for both staff and players, and the time the rule has been in place has nothing to do with it.

Given we know that bans can so greatly affect a world/account/war, it's up to us as players of the game to make sure that we follow the rules so that we don't get banned. If you get banned because you broke the rules, and you tribe loses a war, or a lot of villages because of it, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Yes, it's up to us as players, but we are all human. People make mistakes. I was pushing the idea of a warning prior to a ban on an offense like this because human error or feelings make players act irrationally sometimes. Yes, the players are to blame for breaking the rules that they are supposed to know (did you know these rules have been in place for 10 years now?!).

But think about it in a real life situation. A teenager isn't supposed to consume alcohol, because it is illegal. A cop detains the kid, and the law states that they can go to a juvenile correctional facility for breaking this law. A majority of the time the kid is let off with a slap on the wrist, and a call to their parents. However, if it happens repeatedly, clearing more action must be taken. Yes, they are to blame for breaking a law that has been in place for so many years. But that doens't mean a level of leniency can't be taken. If the offense was much more serious like killing a person, obviously this entire argument just gets thrown out the window (and this can als apply to cheating).

Odds are, this isn't the first time that the player who got banned, has been reported. These days mods are much more lenient in regards to mails. In fact, 8 years ago when my account was hacked, the hacker sent a mail with a single curse word in it, and my account got a 24-hour ban. These days, if somebody curses at you in a mail and you report it, the mods will simply add them to your in-game blocked list.

IF they have already been reported, then disregard what I have said because that makes them a repeat offender. However, I still think a warning can be given.

I didn't say that people getting banned, wouldn't turn people away from this game. However, if people want to quit the game because they get banned and can't follow the rules, then I'm not going to try and stop them. I don't think there's ever really been an, "atmosphere of fear" in this game because so long as you follow the rules, you shouldn't have to worry about if you're going to get banned. Again, as I had said, you shouldn't have to be warned, you have the rules clearly available to you and by playing, you agree to those rules. If you don't want to play anymore because you broke the rules, you got banned, and things didn't go your way, then that's up to you.

Well, those are opinions. Most of what I am saying is opinion too, and I'm arguing the exact opposite of what you are right now. :)

In world 8, a vast amount of player from a tribe named Fear got banned for something. They got a large amount of villages taken from them if my memory serves correct. After that ban, many of them lost the will to continue playing. It may not create an "atmosphere of fear" in that case, but bans can definitely serve as a discouragement to those who enjoy the game thoroughly and play it well and often.

Certain areas of rule breaking are more lenient than other areas of rule breaking. If somebody sends you a mail cursing at you, they'll get a lesser punishment than if they send you an outright hate mail, showing you that they know your real name and where you live. Likewise, getting banned because of mails would likely result in a less harsh of a punishment than if you were to be multi-accounting.

I agree, and I am sure they already have varying levels of punishment.

This may sound crazy, but would you like to know what else can mess up somebody's game? Somebody breaking the rules. :O Imagine that.

Yeah, it can. You definitely won't be hearing any arguing from me here!

BGeorge3

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
Any rule and punishment can always be tweaked to result in a better outcome for both staff and players, and the time the rule has been in place has nothing to do with it.
Yes, this is true. The rules can be amended and changed, and it has happened a number of times over the years ranging from changing/editing the pushing rules to creating a whole new set of rules.

As for stating how long the rules have been around. One could argue that the rules have been mostly the same for a long time, so players should know the rules, which is why ignorance of the rules is not a valid excuse. It could also be argued that the rules have been mostly the same for so long, so why should Inno change the rules simply because one account on w78 got banned and people aren't happy about it? Really, do you think that had this specific account not been banned, if maybe it had been some backline account on w85 somewhere, that people would have came to the w78 forums to complain about how the rules are now? I don't think so. The only reason that people here are having an issue with the ban system, is because it was an apparently important, frontline account in a world war. Had that not been the case, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.

(did you know these rules have been in place for 10 years now?!).
I found this funny. :p

But think about it in a real life situation. A teenager isn't supposed to consume alcohol, because it is illegal. A cop detains the kid, and the law states that they can go to a juvenile correctional facility for breaking this law. A majority of the time the kid is let off with a slap on the wrist, and a call to their parents.
Some could argue that that is being too soft. Making it so that people think, "oh, everybody else does it, but the police (mods) usually just give a slap on the wrists", could make people think that it's o.k. and that they're more likely to face minimal punishment. Then when the person goes to jail (gets banned), people will act like the police/mods are being to harsh.

But that doens't mean a level of leniency can't be taken.
Yes, more leniency could happen, but that's up to the mods/admins. Personally, I feel like the mods have been a lot more lenient in recent years. I guess in part that it could be due to the decreased number of players both in-game and on the externals, resulting in less chances of bannable offense occurring. However, I don't know if that is true either given I don't have a graph showing the ratio of number of players to the # of bans/punishments handed out.

However, I still think a warning can be given.
If Inno wants to add some sort of warning system, that's up to them. It wouldn't surprise me if they added it. However, I feel it would mostly be for those who either don't know/understand the rules (especially newer players) or those that like to walk the line between what is legal and isn't legal.

Well, those are opinions. Most of what I am saying is opinion too, and I'm arguing the exact opposite of what you are right now. :)

Really, a lot of the posts that have been made have been in this thread have been a matter of opinion. The initial matter of opinion in this thread was whether it was right or wrong for somebody to report the player that was banned, and then we added in whether the ban system needs changed or not and why.

As for the "atmosphere of fear" part, that is obviously a matter of opinion because I can't speak for all the other players in TW in regards to whether or not they are afraid of the ban system.

In world 8, a vast amount of player from a tribe named Fear got banned for something. They got a large amount of villages taken from them if my memory serves correct. After that ban, many of them lost the will to continue playing. It may not create an "atmosphere of fear" in that case, but bans can definitely serve as a discouragement to those who enjoy the game thoroughly and play it well and often.
If a large part of a tribe was banned for the same thing, then lost a lot of villages, and then they lost the will to play, I don't feel any bad for them because obviously they were breaking some of the bigger/more important rules. If I had to guess, they were probably botting, using illegal scripts, or multi-accounting, but that would be a guess since I wasn't there.

Not everybody will look at bans negatively though. Why not look at it as an encouragement to follow the rules? If a player plays the game "well and often", then I would expect them to not get banned.

Last edited:

DeletedUser118442

Wow sooo many points to discuss,,,,,will just reply to few,,
@asalamalakum the "inappropriate" thing is what your friend did :p
I said that I'm only assuming,,,and that came from the talk to the mod,,,,can't say no more on this,,,
and I'm not offending anyone on a personal level,,

@babbeanton you've just pointed out to something very important thing,,,,and I couldn't agree more,,,,it is only fair to to give a warning before the ban,,,depending on the action though ;)

@Quack looks like for once we are on the same of the argue,,,lol
it is a big thing to talk about,,,,,a slight change on the ban method is something that has become a "need" here at TW,,when I first played TW and got banned,,I've left for six months,,,,,and only came back to help a very close friend,
I think this subject shouldn't be discussed here,,,but on the right forum,,,

@BGeorge3 let us say your solider 1 (Rhythm) noticed the solider 2 (Genko) is sick (banned),,ok that is the point,,,,it clearly a decision that says who you are as a player,,,,,would you be honorable and wait your enemy to fight (here defend) with full power,,,which is far more enjoyable,,,as it is a rare thing to find a player that can offer a challenge,
or would you play dirty and and go stab him with a lethal wound,,,,your choice I suppose,,
now note this is totally different from if the solider 2 is sick (inactive),,,,

this guy didn't have like 5 accounts raining hell on Rhythm,,,he is just a bit driven,,,great defender,,,likes to banter,,sometimes trash talk,,,he didn't deserve it,,,

I guess every story has 2 sides :p
waiting for Titu's reply :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13939

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

Now, I understand we all like to have discussions. And it's quite apparent that a lot of you have your own opinions on this subject. Actually, I myself saw a few points I wanted to reply to as I read (but we all know I can't). I'm even over joyed that the discussion itself remained civil. Makes this old Dwarf weep tears of joy. *sniff* It's a great day when a Moderator realizes he's in charge of a section full of behaving posters.

But alas, I must now bring out the bad news. As much as I enjoyed reading all the responses, discussions of bans of any kind are against the rules. Thus, I must close this thread and end it here.

~~DK

Status
Not open for further replies.