Review - Top 6 Tribes

DeletedUser117534

I will try to review top 6 tribes over next 6 weeks or so. I will give each tribe out of 10 score in each of the following categories:

Members
Leadership
Stability
Conquers
Growth Options

I invite everyone to comment and give your own scores.

Top-10-tribes.png

map.png

#6 - Viking

Members - 5/10
With 30 members on the roster and 1.6 mil points Viking is averaging 55,000 points per player with only 1 player in top 25 and 6 in top 100. I can recognise few familiar faces on the roster including Lord Batan, Soul Wrecker, King Skonee and DAVWOLF but the roster looks average when comparing to top 5 tribes with only Lord Batan and wolfie3556 doing some decent farming.

members.png

Leadership - 6/10
Viking's duke Lelouch is a veteran of W23 and W25 returning to TW after a very long break. He was lured back into TW when Inno sent him a notification about cancelling his account due to inactivity. (I wonder how many people returned because of this reason).
From information that I have there are couple of barons to support the duke in leading the tribe but he does most of things himself. He is doing a good job keeping the tribe together after so many changes that happened to those players over last couple of weeks. Also he seems to handle Lord Batan well.

Stability - 3/10
Lord Batan is a good example of what was happening in the area:

tribal-changes.png

The tribe went through a merge between Goblin and Mafia to then disband Goblin and create Phoenix which was recently renamed to Viking. There has been a lot of tribal changes since 9th of November which in further hurting the tribe's stability. Pressure from surrounding larger tribes is most definitely not helping the duke to keep morale high.

Conquers - 5/10
The tribe has made 198 gains including 159 from players and 39 from barbs. Viking has been skirmishing with other significant tribes conquering 4 from Blood and 3 from MEA. The tribe has lost 31 villages total and 5 of these were capped by MEA, 4 by AAA and 1 each from Visine and Blood. The tribe has also internalled 8 villages from Viking 2.
The tribe's growth has slowed down a bit this week and they will barely go past 62 caps they made last week.

conquers.png

Growth Options - 5/10

map-1.png

Vikings are being surrounded not only by MEA, Blood, War and Visine to the east and south but also having Balkan Express to north/north east and GCC that is blocking their access to the rim. I assume Viking works with Balkan Mafia and quite possibly is NAP ed to GCC as the tribes never had any conquer history against one another and it simply makes sense knowing 3 larger tribes are not shy from attacking Viking. That leaves the tribe with relatively small option when it comes to easy growth.
Some of the players have nobled on the far rim of north west quarter but I am sure Nerd will control that area in near future.
I give them extra point for having family tribe that gives some extra growth options.

Summary - 23/50

The score looks harsh but it reflects plenty of issues I found in the tribe. Keep in mind i am guessing on some things and only Viking members will know whether what I am saying is correct.
If you asked me what will happen with Viking over next month I would say there are more likely than not to disband and divide. A lot will depend on how much pressure MEA, Blood, War and Visine are going to put on them and how determined Viking duke is to keep fighting against odds.

I had pleasure interviewing the duke yesterday so here's what he had to say

Nest: Thanks for taking part in the interview. To be completely honest I feel like I know nothing about your tribe, I recognise few faces but that's about it. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself and then a history of how Vikings were formed?

lelouch: When the world began, two tribes bordered each other called Mafia and Goblin.
The duke of mafia was highly inactive so we moved our most active players to goblin via a merge.
With 3 tribes in the north, we were a large noob cluster, but unlike most noob clusters we decided to account sit all our players and set harsh requirements.
During a war between Goblin and TBS, our council members betrayed us thus the tribe fell apart, but was reformed as PHX, rising from the ashes. We defeated TBS in our great northern war pretty convincingly and then renamed to be vikings, as we are the north.

Nest: One of the people I do recognise is Lord Batan. He has been rather vocal on externals being nothing short of himself. I have known Batan since W80 and he always had explosive personality, how do you manage players like him?

lelouch: We like to use lord batan as a claymore, point towards the enemy. We have calming co-dukes/barons to keep him pacified towards the tribe.

Nest: Duking a tribe can be compared to having a nerve wrecking full time job, what are in your opinion three things that are making this role so difficult to do and are three most useful skills or character traits any duke should have?

lelouch: The most difficult job about duking a tribe is:
- the amount of coordination and research you need to do about other tribes and neighbours and plan ops.
- keeping the tribe unified with clear tribe goals rather than just individual expansion goals.
- patience, i don't have a lot of it but i try my best.

Nest: Looking at the map I can't say you are located in a nice, comfy spot between MEA, Bleed and Visine. It looks like they are squishing your tribe a bit, your tribe started loosing villages, 5 to MEA, 4 to AAA, 1 to Blood and Visine. Are you worried at all about that? Do you think your tribe is handling that pressure well?

lelouch: Yes, we are in between a lot of top tribes, but thats where diplomacy comes in.
We are highly concerned about MEA, Visine and Bleed but then again who isn't.
WAR is also sandwiched between many tribes, and bleed/WUS/WAR may fight for the center of the map if the rune villages spawn there.

Nest: From the tribes I just mentioned which do you think has shown best quality so far and which has been the biggest disappointment?

lelouch: Bleed has shown the best quality so far as they are extremely organized and even joined up with flex/trex who are lone wolves.
MEA has been highly disappointing as they have been straight up lying, mass recruiting, panicking, using as much pp to boost their players and inviting players + gifting them cities to fight this war against Bleed. Some of their members are cool like andante, washington and others, but the tribe is a rat's nest.

Rimulous

Great analysis on Viking. When can we expect the details on the other 5?

Forgotten

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Ha , If I was duke I would make him wait a week to get a single answer on the interview , then a week for each and every question he would have to ask me .

DeletedUser117534

Ha , If I was duke I would make him wait a week to get a single answer on the interview , then a week for each and every question he would have to ask me .

Why are you so mean to me Balian?

And Jon you shockeed me with this comment, you made me feel like Cesear in his final moments when he turned and looked at Brutus and his bloodied dagger.

Visine and WUS reviews have been cancelled. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

Mintyfresh

Skilled Soldier 18 & Master Commander 21 & 22
Reaction score

And Jon you shockeed me with this comment, you made me feel like Cesear in his final moments when he turned and looked at Brutus and his bloodied dagger.

Good thing there are always other dukes who are communicative :D

Forgotten

Contributing Poster
Reaction score

I just have a habit of the old testament eye for a eye

Arcward

Master Commander 2019
Reaction score
WUS recruited a player to get ahead of us in the ranking, pls review me now

DeletedUser117534

WUS recruited a player to get ahead of us in the ranking, pls review me now

WUS has been locked for the next one, just need to move to my little countryside cottage in search for inspiration to write it.

DeletedUser117534

Trex kindly agreed to review Burn and interview our dutches.

DeletedUser117534

top-tribes.png

map.png

#4 - WUS

Members - 7/10

members.png

WUS has just overtaken Visine in points reaching 1.8 million for 29 members which ranks them 5th in points per member average. It is important to note that WUS family tribe IWB is adding another 583k points with 23 members. The roster for both tribes is rather interesting. It has some exceptionally good accounts like ODIN GOD OF WAR and xSAFAx with very high points, ODA and farming but also quite few smaller accounts, exactly 8 under 50k points with 6-7 village average. Among the members there are some world winners but also accounts without any history of significant size.

The family still has 8 spots for recruitment giving them a lot of options for future recruitment. Just yesterday WUS recruited Egoromania, the largest account from their enemy Decept which was a nail to the coffin for that tribe. If they don't mind recruiting from enemy they can potentially pick up quite few strong accounts that may allow them to contest for rank 1 in near future.

It is worth mentioning that WUS is ranked 1 in OD, Rank 1 in ODA and rank 2 in ODD. They are very proud of it considering themselves the tribe that works the hardest for their gains. As Trex mentioned in one of his comments a tribe that fights a lot and is under constant pressure will be better prepared for later mid game wars, that experience can definitely be seen as an advantage over tribes who haven't been under pressure yet.

OD.png

Leadership - 8.5/10

The tribe is being lead by players with a lot of experience is leading large and successful tribes. I had a pleasure talking to the three major figures and had an expression that they are well balanced personalities with different set of traits. So far they do a very good job being very aggressive on the map while in the same time setting up smart diplomacy. It feels like they have connections in every tribe and are rather friendly with everyone which can be helpful with reaching our for diplomacy in the future.

Stability - 5.5/10

The tribe worked together very well so far being under stable leadership but there are some issues that can't be ignored. Some of the most talented players are known for causing drama. I remember Ragnar and Seven Devils causing a lot of stir on W90, Ragnar is also known for doing the same thing on W98 and 102 and there is Darren who has already shown horns on W104 when departing Flex. Players like these don't often change so it is likely that one day that will cause the leadership some headache.

Recruitment from the enemy is a very tempting option as it brings huge short term gains but it has some flaws. When repeated it brings instability to the tribe. There is pressure on leadership to merge or get rid of players to make room for new recruits. Those new recruits are taking easy way out joining the aggressor and they might be likely to do the same again. I am not saying players who joined WUS are like that, just a warning for the leadership if they decide to go that path.

Conquers - 8.5/10

The tribe has made 379 gains including 329 from players and only 50 from barbs, 68% of them being from tribes. They have been fighting on few fronts handling it really well having big gains from tribes such as Decept, Soviet, ~WE~ and 1776 family.

gains.png

Weekly conquers graph shows how the growth slowed down in last two weeks because of those wars WUS has been fighting. I am quite confident they will finally be able to break all those tribes and will enjoy the spoils of war with easier caps an potential refuge recruitment but it may take some time.

conq-period.png

Growth Options - 5.5/10

wus-map.png
WUS - RED on the map

WUS is in interesting position. The dominate the middle of K55 but are sharing the continent with few strong tribes. Bleed to the north, Soviet in the west, Burn in south west, FY in the south and GNR and Decept in the east. Those two last two tribes blocked WUS from the rim largely limiting their growth.

From what WUS has been caping recently we can say that they have committed to opening their path to the rim fighting GNR and Decept. They have made significant gains against Decept but WUS and IWB managed to gain only 9 villages from GNR losing 5 in return. That tribe is very clustered and the second largest in K55 with 900k points so unless WUS starts pulling out some players by recruitment it can be a long grind towards that rim. The best option for WUS would be to keep pushing through Decept and surround GNR before committing to larger ops.

FY has been also spreading along K55 southern border, with 30 members and 1.1 kk points they are looking to cut WUS completely from the southern rim.
Soviet might be much better pick at the moment allowing them to move to the core. However knowing they are so heavily involved at fighting the rim tribes they will most likely have to wait with any other conflicts.

Side 1:
Tribes: WUS, IWB
Side 2:
Tribes: GNR, Decept

Timeframe: Last week

Total conquers against opposite side:

Side 1: 63
Side 2: 16
Difference: 47

chart

Points value of total conquers against opposite side:

Side 1: 419,559
Side 2: 132,299
Difference: 287,260

chart
Summary - 35/50

I think I appreciate WUS more after checking them out properly knowing the challenges the tribe had to face and where the high OD is coming from. WUS has chosen to fight its way to dominance of K55 and it is very positive thing to see. They have a lot of talented players under good leadership so as long as they keep the tribe in good spirits and avoiding internal conflicts they should remain in the contest for the win on W104.

Nest:
Can you tell me more about yourself what tile you have within the tribe and also how did you end up being involved in WUS leadership?

King Geldwolf:
So I am King Geldwolf, although King Snow on this world, just call me King Geldwolf, i started TW on world 10, then around W58 took a 5 year break and came back 3 months ago.

I was asked to join this premade, which wasn't my first choice, i always led tribes, and i know following isn't my thing, i am a horrible member, lazy, non participant etc... being a leader is so much easier ;)

I joined just after my son was born, so the first few weeks i was quite inactive, but when i became active again i took the role of Diplomat, then i started nagging Ryan non stop until he decided to make me Co duke / leader.

Nest:
Is WUS a premade? How did Ryan came up with idea of duking? You also have Kristaannika in leadership, how do you think having such friendly, opened and talkative person can influence your diplomacy?

King Geldwolf:
This kinda spoils that this wasn't a live interview... seeying as i just said above it is a premade (Cmon Nest, pay attention!)
Uhm, how Ryan came up with the idea? no clue, ask him lol
and Krista is awesome, every tribe should have a person like her, we used to have one (Deb) and it helps on every aspect.

Although on Diplomacy she has little influence in the beginning, I handle diplomacy with Ryan but yeah once a relationship is agreed on our allies will benefit greatly because of Krista, she will solve issues to everyones liking, she has that power :D

Nest:
WUS has built a very interesting roster with plenty of good players but also some interesting personalities, you have put Ragnar, Balian and Darren under one roof, how do you manage to keep them all happy without losing your sanity in the process?

King Geldwolf:
Uhm, we don't... i lost my Sanity back on a game called Nukezone where i met Ragnar 15 years ago, since then my mind has been degrading to a grey goo.
nah just kidding, i love Ragnar, which also brings me back to my most important task in the tribe, keeping Ragnar happy!
Happy Ragnar, Happy tribe.

Balian is a great guy, fun to talk to, loves to flame people, him and me get along great :D
Darren is interesting, cocky as hell, which makes him fit right in! we kinda describe ourselves as functional idiots so if you ever need an invite Nest, just ask :D

Nest: Your tribe has recently dropped in ranking from being rank 1 to 5. Was there a specific reason for it? Why are your growth slowed down so much in comparison with other top tribes?

King Geldwolf:
We didn't drop, you all boosted up! I mean look at Bleed, how can we beat inviting Trex, Flex and Robert!

nah, just kidding, we had a few wars to fight (go look at OD ratings)
And because quite a few of us never played together we had to use these wars as an opportunity to test the tribe's skill by doing a few good coordinated ops, which of course hurt our growth, we wanted people to rebuild, stop nobling, save nobles etc...

Then Decept decided they wanted our newly capped villages (voltures) and we again saw ourselves stopping the rest of the nobling to remove the idiots...

And then GNR decided they wanted to fight us... so yeah it has been hurting our growth, but it has given us a lot of information as well, we work better as a team, we know what each member is capable of now.
Small price to pay, since we will soon boost to rank 1 again (sorry guys)

Nest:
MEA has been apparently relocating to your southern rim under the protection of FY. Isn’t that ballsy for MEA to push into your area of influence?

King Geldwolf:
Well... yeah of course it's ballsy... but we cannot really spike every barb in the continent just because someone might noble it.
Am I happy with the situation no I am not.
Is it a problem for us at this stage? not at all.. they have 2 vills in K55.

Nest:
We’ve all seen bleed getting a huge boost by recruiting T-Flex and now your tribes are shearing the longest border. Wouldn’t you say you are destined to work together if both your tribes are having MEA/FY in arms reach?

King Geldwolf:
You are forgetting the Danes... Robert Knepper is actually bigger then Trex.
Yeah we share a long border, and Trex and Babin are interesting... (leaves alot open for interpretation doesn't it?)
But I am not going to spill our plans here sorry.
Also i do not believe in Destiny, dated her once, got screwed over, next time ill date Karamel (with a K)

Nest:
And finally if you had to pick best 3 accounts outside of WUS and best 3 from your tribe who would that be?

King Geldwolf:

Uhm, well that is quite difficult for me as I don't know most of the current players, so few old school guy's left.

But outside the tribes i would have to say Robert (got a thing for him)
Deadmax I hear can handle himself pretty well, ill try that out at a later stage ;)
And Trex is described by Ragnar as him 10 years ago, so that scares the shit out of me.

Inside the tribe it is easy, there are few players i have met on TW that can micro manage an account as effectively as Ragnar.

Although that package comes with some arrogance and people hate him, no one can deny he knows what he is doing, and there are not a lot of players that would stand a chance in a 1 on 1.

Second in the tribe one of our newest recruits, my old Co duke Debb123.
Yes i am so biased it is almost a crime.

Third is Ryan, my Co leader and the founder of WUS (we need a name change)
He is on top of things, trusts his council and is always there when people need him of course with the help of Krista, cannot ignore her(she would get angry at me and i cannot have that)

Nest:
I think most of players who were around for last couple of years knows you but do they really, can you tell us more about your tribal wars history, how did you end up playing the game and what was your first world? What are the three most memorable worlds you played so far and why? What was in your opinion the best tribe you were ever a part of?

Balian De Ibelin:
My first world was 60 and It was a mistake I joined because I saw a grepolis advertisement and that was what I thought i was joining , but I was new to the computer. World 60 , 63 , 80 and I would say are my most memorable worlds 60 because it was my first , 63 because it was the only world I ever won and 80 because it was a turning point for me because I use to change tribes a good bit , but that's how a lot of players dislike I think.
Tea was the best tribe I was ever in , not including the tribe I'm in now due to the world is so new.

Nest:
I have played on a lot of worlds with you starting from W80, 86, 88 and 90, you always seem to build up a decent account but always ending up in a tribe that is not winning the end game. Is it just bad luck or something else is behind it?

Balian De Ibelin:
I would just say it's bad luck I'm in a usual second place tribe all the time not to mention I'm usually not wanted buy certain players in the winning tribes seems like.

Nest:
You have joined WUS who are doing quite well in the world having top OD and being 4th in points. Do you feel W104 might be the one you will win? If so what would you say WUS has that the other tribes are lacking?

Balian De Ibelin:
As far as me thinking WUS is going to be a winning tribe it's just too hard to fetch right now , with top rank tribes not doing much but growing on mostly barbs anything can happen .