Rules and Unfairness

DeletedUser120220

Tribalwars as a whole has seen a declining player base last few years so we assume changes should be made for the better instead of for the worse.

Recently the rules have been rewritten could have been great because there are a lot of aspects to the game and there was some vagueness to the rules so clearing those up would have been convenient for the player base yet it seems (to me and others at least) this has not been accomplished at all.

Vagueness has been increased instead of decreased, let me state a number of examples here:
- Anything written in the game or connected services can be reported and be used as evidence against a player in an appeal or other support issues. If in doubt the interpretation of the messages will fall to the support team.
Connected service is not defined anywhere on the tribalwars website and according to a support ticket it is just the external forums so why use "Connected services", this implies there is more than one connected service and only confuses players and increases ticket load on the mods

- Publishing the content of any communication with the support team or other players without their full consent is not permitted.
The lack of openness from the support team is concerning and makes players wonder if the rules are applied to everyone equally (which 106 has proven to not be the case recently)

- As the support team has the right to ban scripts even if they abide by the rules, every script should be approved before usage. With there being a slim number of scripters in the recent days of tribalwars preserving these should be at least somewhat important to the support team as a large part of the paying player base uses scripts a lot. For a scriptmaker it is very discouraging to send in a ticket for approval and have to wait a month on a reply, that is not something that helps the player base.

- The rules on merging accounts have also been changed, yet the rules on the rule page are vague and if someone would just read this it could result in a ban. There is more information about how to merge accounts yet this is not linked on the rulepage, it is linked in an external forum post which is easily missed by newer players.

Besides these issues, there are also a number of balance issues which have only grown larger and have never been addressed by any mod. The actual value of the available items in the events are way different from the set price in the event currency which has been addressed multiple times yet the Anvil of the Mercenary King event has shown that no developer has tried rebalancing these issues since they were first addressed in a feedback topic. There should be plenty of data to be collected to rebalance these events and fix the meta which is currently broken.

It is widely recognized that PP has a huge influence on the game, not everyone appreciates this yet there are plenty of people willing to spend money on the game so it's unlikely to ever change so personally I've accepted this. There are however a number of issues with PP spending opportunities between accounts. For example war packages come out for purchase every so often, however it only appears on one world out of the x amount an account is active on. Accounts with only one active world are guaranteed the offer on the world of choice however accounts active on multiple worlds (giving Inno more revenue) or playing a world serious and pp farming on one have the chance of getting the offer on the world they don't want it on. When Aliyah was CM she would switch over the packages to a world of choice (showing it is technically possible) yet the new CM JawJaw refuses to do this without fixing the issue only increasing the unfairness between players.
The Anvil of the Mercenary King also had issues of unfairness between players in pp spending which I addressed with detailed calculations in the feedback topic yet no mod took the effort to reply to this showing no interest in fixing issues with the game and breaking the will of players to give feedback.

We've seen the game we love drift further away from what we hope it would be someday and recent changes give little hope of improvement. I (and others) am willing to offer my feedback to help improve the game yet it just feels like the mods/developers have very little interest in this and are driving more and more players away so I'd like some feedback on these issues.

DeletedUser120220

Not gonna lie asking questions about game balance and asking for feedback on game mechanics to the general public is pretty flawed. People (as a mass) in any walk of life dont really know what they're talking about so 9 times out of 10 you're going to get pretty irrelevant/uninformed feedback. And i know you already know that so its kinda wierd you complain that the feedback given isnt of a high standard when you're not taking any steps to improve the quality of your feedback.

I agree with Minty here, the feedback posts are usually littered with one line replies of people who don't have the understanding of the game nor put enough effort into properly testing/calculating something to give actual feedback. It's why games like League of Legends are usually balanced around the feedback of pro/high-level players instead of silver players.

There are plenty of people (myself included) which would put in time and effort to help improve the game if we felt like this time we put in is actually worth the effort which in the current situation for me it doesn't feel like it is.
A think tank like topic where only certain people are allowed to discuss or at the very least only serious content is allowed with mods actively engaged in the conversation would do a lot to improve the community feedback I would assume.

Upvote 0

DeletedUser

i think we should bring back the general section of world forums. i tried to get a mod to understand my concerns on some thread but he just ghosted on me after I pointed out his response was misguided and invalid. it's irritating but im pretty used to being irritated.

Upvote 0

Shinko to Kuma

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
I'd like to suggest a forum or place where we (scripters) can have a more direct way to talk to CM's responsible for the approval, and with eachother. Support tickets take too long especially since during dev of a script the code constantly changes. On .Nl I got a discord chat pushed through so scripters can communicate with eachother and help, which can only help the game.

It would be a good way to get instant feedback as well... I often feel like scripts get frowned upon as 'taking away skill', in reality they just expand on the game and make the game more user-friendly. I think that is something that should be encouraged rather then drive potential new scripters away by the horrible process script approvals etc are right now

I'd even be willing to write some guides how to get started with scripting for TW to help future scripters to get the ropes and even write some template code to help speed up script development

Upvote 0

tcamps

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
I'd like to comment on the mentioned issue of "transparency" and information not being shareable from a support ticket - GDPR/privacy laws were quoted, though in this case I don't think there's any benefit or relevancy in it being held by Tribal Wars with respect to users and their support tickets. Of course, support staff shouldn't share messages with users. In the other direction, though, the only issue I think would be if there were controversial, contradictory, or unexpectedly personal information shared by either party. I think Inno should allow for messages on support to by shared by users by default. Despite opt-in being required by GDPR for data sharing instead of opt-out, I think the fact that Inno owns the communications product changes the situation to where they can change their own default agreement without violation of GDPR.

Regarding scripts - code review is a pain, takes forever, and is probably particularly horrific considering that TW scripts are usually written as quickly as possible. I don't think it's unreasonable for scripts to take a long time in review. Vault took ~2 months for its first review, and I'm glad that they even took the time to go through the whole thing. I think developers should recognize that their script could be denied, even if only because the mod happened to get flipped off on the drive to work. Mods aren't unreasonable - ask what should be changed, or what options there are to try to get the script approved. Outline appropriate features, possible known issues, and offer some alternatives. I think there are very few cases where they'll be against a script in its entirety, and compromises can be made to still release it as a useful (if less capable) tool.

Finally, Inno isn't obligated to support scripts at all - they're a security concern. I don't think they should be forced to explicitly support script development. I don't know of any other browser game that has rules allowing scripts, and I'm glad that Inno does support their existence at all. I would appreciate a link to the appropriate community forums in the rules, and some time spent by a mod to collect info from scripters that may help newcomers, but again that's far beyond what's required of them.

Upvote 0