Sabotage / Spy's

DeletedUser96310

I have an absolute disdain for anyone who will lower themselves to spying. I know its part of the game and tolerated by some, even promoted by some. I know its a "war" game and spying is, in every war, an integral part. Regardless, I would never, NEVER risk my gaming reputation on doing it.

Therefore, my question to others is their opinion on this;

• As duke of a tribe would you ask someone (intentionally place them in a tribe) to spy?
  • Also, would you promise them entry into your tribe if they would offer to spy for you.
  • Would your promise be honored or would it be a false promise?

To the relatively new gamer, I'd also like your opinion here,

• Is spying something you'd consider if it meant you might get invited into the tribe you desire?
  • How far is to far?
  • Would you trust someone that first asks you to do a distrustful task?

DeletedUser

I'd tell people to spy or spy myself it helps me to win a game (aka winning the world in TW). Often times spying makes people dislike you so you're more likely to get in trouble though. It's very case dependent.

DeletedUser95698

Would I ask Someone to spy, Depends. But if someone came to me with Info/saying they want to spy for us than yes.

Only If they ask for it

Depends on their skill

In a war you do what you have to do to win.

DeletedUser

HOT do not accept spying in any form and any member trying to get someone to spy for HOT could be punished. That is the nature of the leadership. It is distasteful and the leadership do not accept it in any form.

If I was running the tribe I would use the tool where it is necessary and have on past worlds, if people are going to use the tactic against you I see no reason not to retaliate with the same action. You have to level the playing field in any means necessary.

Everyone has their own way of playing the game, some may frown upon this tactic but it is a viable tactic none the less. Each to their own.

DeletedUser

If there was some extremely valuable information that could be found out by doing so, I probably would. Spies are usually only useful in the early game, when ops are easier to stop and retaliate against with prior knowledge, and support placement is more important.

I have been in the situation of being duke of a tribe, and had an individual from another tribe come to me offering their services as a spy. We agreed that they could have a place in my tribe afterwards. The player then proceeded to give me a few bits of information I already knew, and asked to join, a request I turned down (they were also a bad player). If the information had actually been of use, and the player relatively good, I would have let them join.

DeletedUser1082

• As duke of a tribe would you ask someone (intentionally place them in a tribe) to spy?
  • Also, would you promise them entry into your tribe if they would offer to spy for you.
  • Would your promise be honored or would it be a false promise?
  • Yes, but i would not force them and i would never ask an existing member of my tribe
  • I would tell them the truth, if they were useful to me and proved themselves to be a strong player then i would let them in, but this rarely happens
  • It would be honoured if they deserved it to be

in regards to: Would you trust someone that first asks you to do a distrustful task?

I would trust them to do everything they could do for their tribe to give it the best possible chance of doing well
I think this works more the other way around, as in a duke should be reluctant to let in any member with a history of spying, but i like to think my tribes are good enough that if someone manages to talk their way in, they'll want to stay for good regardless of their initial intentions.
On an unrelated note, sometimes telling your members to feed false information to an enemy, for instance saying the date of an op is a week after it actually is, can be useful to counterract spies.

shagohad

a lot of TW is about picking the right side and alliances...
its more about surviving than having honor for most people

DeletedUser

a lot of TW is about picking the right side and alliances...
its more about surviving than having honor for most people

bingo. when your back is against the wall, most people will do anything to survive.

however, in some worlds it is more fun to just accept your fate and go out in a ball of flames like i did in POKE in w10.

DeletedUser

Well it depends, I think normally with tribes and people being invited they tend to do it on skill. Normally the ones who spy get eaten unless they are skilled as well, just not at the same time as the tribe.

Spying is an interesting thing is this game, as the second you use spies you open yourself up for misinformation as well, but I suppose that is a different topic. I think the issue is when a person offers to be a spy due to a war threatening them and trying to save themselves through that. If a person is willing to spy before they are at risk then it is because they actually do want to use that as a way of moving their position in the world at risk to themselves. But the second a person spies to save themselves then I do not think they are really worthy of being invited to a tribe.

Generally when a person asks you to spy, I doubt they will really invite you unless you are clearly one of the best/ best player in the tribe unless they have proven earlier in the world that they tend to keep promises.

But ye, I do not mind spying, its part of the game and human nature.

Lethal Legend

In most cases I would share the same view of spies and treat them with disdain; if they are willing to betray their tribe mates they are more likely to be ok with doing it again if you take them into the tribe. The only exception would be in premades if they start with a "sleeper" though for me again this defeats the object of trying to be more skillful or tactically superior to another player or tribe if you win by tricking someone.
The counter argument is information is part of the gme and if you can gain an advanatage then doing so falls into the "skill" category to obtain it in the first place. For years I under estimated the soft skill side of P&P and spying etc. For those who play at a reasonable level I don't see it as much different to being nice to the village that you are letting row for the first noble etc when you are farming everything else or being nice ot the noobs around you to avoid a gang bang until safe with several villages.

In summary, would rather it was not there however it is as much part of the game as back timing or sniping, just learn to live it and play accordingly.

DeletedUser

Might be considered a little long so I spoilered it just in case

[spoil]I had my first venture in spying a few months ago. Long story short I joined a premade with some friends/ tribemates from another world we were playing. My co and I had a blow out and we quit. I decided to rejoin the world a month or so later in the same direction as the premade. I landed further out on the rim then they had made it but I was close to a tribe they were warring or getting ready to declare on, i forget(both were top 10 at the time). I recognized some names on the member list and figured I would be able to join them and spy for my old tribe even though i had just started the world. I let my old tribe know what I had in mind, they agreed and I joined 'the enemy' tribe. Turns out I wound up knowing the duke and we were sort of 'friends' by online standards. We had talked quite a bit and they were my duke in a previous premade. I decided to still go along with the spying. Eventually the 'enemy tribe' failed, the duke had quit, I got cleared and catted by some nubs while i was a sleep and decided to quit as well. Before the duke had left he invited me to join his next premade, i agreed thinking i got off lucky he didn't find out. I decide to take a bit of a break from Tw and wait for the next world to start. It gets about that time, i resurface on skype and go contact the duke about the premade. That's where he confronts me about spying on his team back in the previous world. Apparently he had been informed of my antics by the new duke of my previous premade tribe. Made me feel terrible about myself, lost a friend and knocked my reputation down as well I would assume. I definitely would never do it again or go back and not do it at all, but it was a learning experience i guess.[/spoil]

DeletedUser1082

I think this thread should turn into rehab for ex spies looking to change their ways

DeletedUser96310

that is honesty...
that is also why i would never do it, nor ask another to do it...

in your case, you are solely to blame
but, in cases where another makes a promise and encourages it, IMO, they too are to blame and should be just as disgraced.

Yes, spying and sabotage are part of war and war games but the truth is, in RL and in fantasy game role playing, spying is considered dirty and degrading.

DeletedUser

spying is a key part of the game but would I let anyone in to my tribe who'd spied for us ? Never, someone who spied once will do so again the minute it favours them to do so

DeletedUser

who cares about a reputation.. its a game.... we can just make a new account with a new name and start over. its simple.