So, in hindsight, No Hauls settings...

DeletedUser84667

Just out of curiosity to all of MoM. Where do you all think you would be or what would have happened had Carlini not come back?

We would be in a dark place, clearly. It would have probably come down to me and some other players, most likely Greg, trying to gain higher leadership roles to try and sort the issues out. The main reason Carlini saved MoM was not just his determination and substantial amount of effort, but his connections. I sincerely believe Tarot would have been to retarded to stop attacking MoM had Carlini not come back, as the entire war was about Semps personal vendetta against MoM, but he loves Carl to much to kill him, which he would have had he continued the war. This is what stopped the MoM and Tarot war, whoever denies it may deny it, it is the truth.

Diplomacy was also probably easier to obtain with W2V considering Carlini is a pretty neutral player in aspects to flaming or whatever, me or Greg on the other hand, well I can see why W2V would not like or respect us enough to talk diplomacy.

So, without Carlini MoM had the potential to be where it is still to this day, it would just have been harder. MoM may even be in a better position than it currently is now for reasons that are (bandit). The other possibility is that in fact without Carl, Tarot would have just kept blindly attacking, which would have changed the world as it currently is imo.

DeletedUser

I THINK Choco is the funniest guy on W56,,,while your post are quite bitter lately, as if someone was biting your ass while u type

Good job I don't care then isn't it :icon_biggrin:.

Just out of curiosity to all of MoM. Where do you all think you would be or what would have happened had Carlini not come back?

At Carlini's house making him come back.

On a serious note, there are/were only a few people in MoM with the ability to lead such a group of players. They are even fewer who would make a good job of it. Thankfully for us, Carlini got us out of trouble then.

But over the following months, we took our 'deserved time off' and were reluctant to get back into the game... which has proven to be a very bad decision.

So both good and bad decisions have been made by MoM over the past few months.

DeletedUser

I think No Hauls settings has actually made the game worse. I've played both w56 and w61, and can safely say no hauls has become one of the few world settings that I will never play with again for any reason. Period.

Reasoning: I enjoy farming, or more specifically I enjoy the results. Taking out farming to make the game more "fair" is like taking out noble trains, mass faking, or sniping; you are taking out skills in order to give less-skilled players a chance. During early game I farm a huge amount, my main village usually has a large circle of barbs up to 20 fields in any direction, minus the one or two villages I plan to noble. On other worlds, I've grown quickly enough to be 5 times the size of the next player, 1-2 months after nobles come out. Now, why would I give up such an obvious advantage I have over other players, to allow noobs to not learn arguably one of the most important skills in "normal" TW? I continue farming very late into the game, although as time goes on I tend to take a more relaxed approach to it, instead of the maniacal farming I do early game.

And my second, and really far more important reason for refusing to play a no haul again: the settings cause obvious negative effects in tribes. Farming allows small groups of 10-20 players to do very well, a single player can hold down half a continent with a bit of trouble. But without farming, they won't grow so quickly, and will need more support. This leads to mass recruiting being a hugely more viable option (anyone looked at the w61 maps recently?), and imo thats a horrible way to play the game. It also adds selfishness to the game; even worse than it exists now. Troops are costly, rebuilding takes serious time, so I am far less likely to blindly donate half my nukes to a friend when it'll severely slow me down. And looking at whats happening on these two worlds, players' tribal loyalty is next to non-existent, and that is something I will never like.

All in all, I think it was a decent idea to have no hauls, but it is far from the savior setting of TW, and I see it ending up like church worlds; either loved or hated.

Rand_Althor

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Reasoning: I enjoy farming, or more specifically I enjoy the results. Taking out farming to make the game more "fair" is like taking out noble trains, mass faking, or sniping; you are taking out skills in order to give less-skilled players a chance. During early game I farm a huge amount, my main village usually has a large circle of barbs up to 20 fields in any direction, minus the one or two villages I plan to noble. On other worlds, I've grown quickly enough to be 5 times the size of the next player, 1-2 months after nobles come out. Now, why would I give up such an obvious advantage I have over other players, to allow noobs to not learn arguably one of the most important skills in "normal" TW? I continue farming very late into the game, although as time goes on I tend to take a more relaxed approach to it, instead of the maniacal farming I do early game.

Wasn't there quite a high profiled player (Pervis?) that once said anyone who enjoys farming has never done it correctly.

DeletedUser

No hauls are awesome. Personally, I don't see me coming back (if ever) to any farming world.

Although I hate farming (probably the most boring and retarded thing you may do with your free time, ever), I do enjoy early-game battles. Not sure how you guys, but I did have a lot of that on startup, even if there were no farming advantages. And even though we had some great times in the tribe, still my most enjoyable war on w56 was the very first challenge OHYEAH vs Ham!, when we were massively outnumbered by core-side tribe. I had 5 guys nuking my single village on a daily basis and my whole tribe was similarly under fire, yet we pulled through only by teamwork - and as I remember that has been one of the reasons pro no-hauls setup, to promote teamwork. So from my perspective there have been a success on this one.

It's cool that we didn't have pseudo superstar sprinters scriptfarming with 10 coplayers to get the top spot, make noise and leave as soon as farming stops giving advantages. It is also cool there were more noobs surviving the first stages, no problem with that.

The only downside for me was the game being too slow in first month, which could probably be solved by having players get more developed villages in the first day.

In general though, it has been great fun.

As for barbwhoring discussed above, I think it didn't have as much to do with no-hauls as with other things, which are:

1) packets. A lot of the players barbwhored to burn old nobles located in secured area
2) cheap packets. Nobling barbs didn't hurt so much in resources
3) (most importantly imho) Account manager, which was introduced not so long before w56 launched - pretty obvious that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

No hauls are awesome. Personally, I don't see me coming back (if ever) to any farming world.

Although I hate farming (probably the most boring and retarded thing you may do with your free time, ever), I do enjoy early-game battles. Not sure how you guys, but I did have a lot of that on startup, even if there were no farming advantages. And even though we had some great times in the tribe, still my most enjoyable war on w56 was the very first challenge OHYEAH vs Ham!, when we were massively outnumbered by core-side tribe. I had 5 guys nuking my single village on a daily basis and my whole tribe was similarly under fire, yet we pulled through only by teamwork - and as I remember that has been one of the reasons pro no-hauls setup, to promote teamwork. So from my perspective there have been a success on this one.

It's cool that we didn't have pseudo superstar sprinters scriptfarming with 10 coplayers to get the top spot, make noise and leave as soon as farming stops giving advantages. It is also cool there were more noobs surviving the first stages, no problem with that.

The only downside for me was the game being too slow in first month, which could probably be solved by having players get more developed villages in the first day.

In general though, it has been great fun.

Top rank post. I agree with it all. :)

As for barb hauling, nobling, it's all the same thing. It's like a language yet to be discovered for me.

If it's red, it's dead!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If Carlini hadn't have returned I would have just been rimmed, wont go down without a fight mind. Being rimmed is just part of the game even if people choose to dodge it the best they can :p

Rand_Althor

Contributing Poster
Reaction score

I never really felt the start being slow, perhaps because I liked the tribe I was in. Which is rare I find early on if you don't join a premade preworld opening. I also liked the big personalities on the forums early on and seeing what everyone's new strategy was. i.e. when to stop res building and go for nobles etc. But yh having higher built res to start with is a good option to speed up the start if people found it long.

DeletedUser

Wasn't there quite a high profiled player (Pervis?) that once said anyone who enjoys farming has never done it correctly.

Not necessarily. Farming by script, or by bookmark (my two preferred methods) I find enjoyable in the same way I enjoy mixing concrete, and judging by the fact that I have very good startups, I'd say I'm doing my farming right.